• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 29, 2021

    Dark Souls 2 Forest of Fallen Giants (artwork by me)

    Dark Souls 2 Forest of Fallen Giants (artwork by me)


    Forest of Fallen Giants (artwork by me)

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 04:59 AM PDT

    Pen and Ink drawing I did of Majula!

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 11:06 PM PDT

    Skipping enemies to go straight to the boss ends badly

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 04:39 AM PDT

    I have beaten the game for the first time, I would give it a 8/10

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 11:42 AM PDT

    Can anybody tell me what the yellow circle means? what did i do?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 10:06 AM PDT

    This game's community AWESOME!!! I laughed so hard. Thank you, whoever you are...

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 09:16 AM PDT

    At your service my Queen

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 06:47 PM PDT

    So we discovered the ballistas

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 11:24 PM PDT

    Gotta say, bitch slapping Forlorn to death felt amazing!

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 01:58 PM PDT

    Picked up where I left off in ds2 and put this drip together. Was lookin a lil rough where I left my guy

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 06:27 AM PDT

    yeah... this is my life... no ds1 yet

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 02:18 PM PDT

    So hey I just finished killing the iron king or whatever where do I go from here?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 01:04 PM PDT

    Fume Knight is an extraordinary boss because it made me unlearn my Bloodborne/DS3 habits

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 05:27 AM PDT

    In Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, you have a stamina bar that regenerates so quickly you can dodge no matter what. Basically the stamina bar only gauges how many attacks you can perform before needing to rest. To compensate for this, enemies themselves have difficult attacks to dodge, requiring timely and precise reflexes. Dark Souls 2 takes a different approach. The stamina bar recharges slower, so if you run out of stamina and there's an attack to dodge, you're going to get hit. This requires careful stamina management.

    Playing Dark Souls 2 like it's BB/DS3 is perfectly viable for most of the game. When it comes to dodging attacks and reflexes, Dark Souls 2 is much easier than those two games. This means that bosses like the Pursuer and Velstadt are quite easy for someone who's familiar with the dodge + counterattack method taught in BB/DS3.

    The Fume Knight is a boss that meshes perfectly with DS2's unique stamina system. It's the only boss in the game where I payed more attention to my stamina bar than my health bar. Fume Knight's attacks are easy to dodge and well telegraphed, but he has a lot of them. This means that every time he's done a combo and vulnerable, you have a choice to make. You can attack him, but if you get too greedy, you won't have enough stamina to outlast his next chain of attacks. You can't simply dodge and attack, you have to decide whether it is safe to attack or not based on your green bar. Fume Knight is the only boss where sometimes the best idea is to actually not attack him even if he's vulnerable because you need to conserve stamina for his next attack chain. This also requires intimate knowledge of his move pool. If you know how much stamina you'll drain from his longest attack chain, you can accurately gauge when it's not safe to attack, when it is safe, and even if it's safe enough to go for 2 attacks. Looking back this kind of play style is present in the entire game, but because I've gotten so good at dodging attacks, I've never really had to use it because I was never in danger (I did pay attention to my stamina bar fighting those giants in Brume Tower though, I guess that would be the precursor to Fume Knight). Most attacks in the game are just single attacks, so if you're good at dodging the game will be quite easy. The difficulty is balanced via ganks and slow stamina regen. I'm already quite good at ganks but Fume Knight is when I had to learn to manage my stamina to succeed.

    I died 21 times to Fume Knight. Much more than any other boss in this game so far (haven't done Ivory King or some of the optional main game bosses yet). Currently fighting Sir Alonne at 15 deaths and counting. It's a solid fight but the run to the arena is awful and he has noticeable hitbox issues, Fume Knight remains my favorite. Admittedly I don't like Crown of the Old Iron King as much as Sunken King, but all 3 of its bosses have given me a good challenge that the rest of the game couldn't.

    TLDR In order to beat Fume Knight, I had to unlearn my tactic of rolling + attacking and actually pay attention to my stamina bar to decide when it was safe to attack or not. A player who is already good at dodging + ganks will still find this boss to be a challenge.

    submitted by /u/TheEerieAerie
    [link] [comments]

    This game just shocked me

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 05:47 AM PDT

    So I'm just running a sorcerer build, trying to get the Platinum Trophy and doing as much as I can before going into NG+. I see on the wiki that you have to get the old paledrake soul for the Crystal soul Spear. I use an ascetic on the corresponing bonfire and fight Freja. The fight itself is quite tough but I get her after a couple tries. Now, here's when the wild shit happens.

    Under the Ancient Dragon's Corpse is a rock which I don't recall. I go near it and notice the prompt for "check". I don't know what to make of this at first but when I interact with it it Takes me to a WHOLE NEW MEMORY. The Area itself was quite lackluster, I'll admit, with the only item being a unique soul but the fact such an obscure secret exists made me really happy to find it on my (probably) about 7th playthrough.

    submitted by /u/matx43
    [link] [comments]

    Someone invaded me while I took a shit

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 08:38 PM PDT

    Like the title says, while I took a shit, someone invaded me in Shulva, but instead of killing me they beat me to half hp, and dropped fully upgraded Looking Glass Knight, Throne Defender, Chaos, and Black Witch sets.

    I have no idea who you are, but thank you.

    submitted by /u/ViinamenMias
    [link] [comments]

    Are the servers down right now? (PC)

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 11:39 AM PDT

    This game is beautiful sometimes.

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 05:16 AM PDT

    A grave mistake...

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 12:38 PM PDT

    Sooooo last night, I beat the Dragonrider knight and killed Licia by knocking her off the edge. I exited out/logged back in, thinking her loot would spawn back on the surface, but NOPE. looked it up, can't do that, so I was locked out of good portions of the game.

    Long story short, I started over, with a slightly better-looking character😅 I've beaten Last Giant, Pursuer, and Tower Sentinels. I'm kinda sat above the pursuer in the tower, wondering what I should go for weapon-wise to set me up for the game. I'm running fully-solo, Company of Champions playthrough before NG+. Any good weapon recommendations?

    submitted by /u/MylesofPixelz
    [link] [comments]

    No Death No Bonfire Run Complete!

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 05:41 AM PDT

    (I hope this is the right place for this). Hi, the Souls series is currently on sale on Xbox, and I was thinking this would be a good opportunity to finally play an entry. So, is DS2:SOTFS anything close to a good starting point for a complete newcomer and novice? (Namely difficulty and complexity.)

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 08:23 AM PDT

    I keep hearing that DS3 is the most welcoming with its difficulty, but to be honest, DS2 seems to appeal to me more. Such as its focus on one-on-one dual-style combat. And its linearity, compared to the seemingly infinitely complex other games.

    So basically, is DS2: SOTFS a good starting point for a complete novice to the Souls series, or should I look for something a bit less, well Dark Souls like?

    I hope this isn't too aggravating if you get it a lot, and I hope you can humor my complete lack of knowledge about the topic.

    submitted by /u/ULTRAMaNiAc343
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling with weapon and build direction

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 11:56 AM PDT

    This is the final FROM game I needed to play, but I am having a tough time finding a weapon I like early, which is making hard to figure out a build direction. I'm level 60 right now, with 20 str, 13 dex, and 20/20/20 for vig, end, and adp. I'm also sitting on about 20 levels worth of souls.

    I was getting my ass absolutely handed to me in the early game, mostly due to getting cornered by too many guys, or getting wrecked by explosions. For whatever reason, the beginning of this game felt sooo much harder than D1 and D3 to me, with the exception of all the bosses being pretty easy.

    I've tried and somewhat liked the longsword, claymore, craftsman hammer, and uchi. I find the claymore move set the easiest out of those, mostly because of the extra reach, which is nice against crowds. But against anything armored, the un-upgraded craftsman hammer was out damaging the +2 claymore by quite a bit.

    Any suggestions? I hate upgrading things unless I'm sure I'm going to use them long term, but I don't have anything past +2 right now, so I feel like I should pick something. And I definitely need to spend my souls before I lose them.

    submitted by /u/PepperIsEverything
    [link] [comments]

    Dual wield axes any fun?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 11:48 AM PDT

    I've played through this game a bunch, but never did a power stance axe build. Any of you tried it, and was it much fun? My favorite builds are normally magic or big slow str weapons, but I kinda like the idea of tearing through enemies with axes.

    submitted by /u/varim224
    [link] [comments]

    Direct Mcbeth quote, drawing attention to game's conflict Of "monarchy"

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 12:55 AM PDT

    It has grown to my attention, the phrase "what's done cannot be undone" whenever a bonfire ascetic is burned, is a direct quote from Shakespeare's Mcbeth.

    And i remembered Hbomberguy's video "In Defence of Dark Souls 2" that compared the game's take on monarchy as a central theme to Mcbeth's discussion of monarchy, and i realised it's much more intentional than previously thought.

    It's a pleasant realisation, Unless Hbomb already spoke of the quote being mentioned in game, then i would be an wretched fool and this post is a forever wasted bit of processing power and server space.

    Having invested the last 3 minutes typing this, i'm too committed to postpone the post until i double check his whole video.

    As most of time investments are fruitless, it's not a problem for me, but you my dear reader and fellow DS2 enthusiast, apologies for the precious seconds of your life wasted, should that be the case.

    I know i'm rambling but i'm already committed to that too.

    P.S. Praise the Mace.

    submitted by /u/Marcustheeleventh
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment