• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 22, 2021

    Dark Souls The REAL First Sin(theory)

    Dark Souls The REAL First Sin(theory)


    The REAL First Sin(theory)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 10:48 PM PDT

    (Some of this may be known by many DS community members, but I also include my own theories in this post.) The "First Sin" has been a heavily discussed topic since DS2, but I think that there are clear clues that show what it really is based on given information from DS2 and DS3. First of all, I want to try to debunk the theory that the Witch of Izalith attempting to recreate the first flame was the first sin. The Lost "Sinner" might have sinned(witch of izalith), but I don't think this was the very first. The witch of izalith trying to recreate the first flame OR just simply creating demons might have angered Gwyn, but honestly I don't think that From would have put such importance on this one "sin" of hers, as Aldia is obviously a very lore-vital character. Dark Souls's lore is centered around humanity. Then we have to look at his dialogue as the basis for any theories surrounding the first sin. Now, Aldia talks about other things that aren't seemingly related to the first sin, but I believe that there is one set of dialogue that most clearly is related to the concept:

    "Once, the Lord of Light banished Dark, and all that stemmed from humanity. And men assumed a fleeting form. These are the roots of our world. Men are props on the stage of life, and no matter how tender, how exquisite... A lie will remain a lie."

    My interpretation of the dialogue is this: Gwyn did something cruel to humans and stopped them from becoming greater. All humans were then changed for the worst(fleeting form- form that passes away quickly). It doesn't matter how hard humans try(such as with Aldia himself and Vendrick doing research), they will always remain in this form because of Gwyn. And...a lie will remain a lie.

    Gwyn cursed the undead. Gwyn is the reason why humans hollow. Gwyn is really the evil one. But what lie? The Witch of Izalith's "sins" definitely could not even remotely be considered "lies". As the undead curse creeped over Drangleic, Vendrick and Aldia panicked. They did everything they could to try stopping the curse, such as making dragons and other beasts. They didn't- and nobody -knew what caused the curse. So, as the kingdom was plunging into destruction, Vendrick and Aldia sent the Ruin Knights out and discovered the true source of the curse: Gwyn and his lies, more specifically the Ringed City. There is nothing inherently wrong with the dark. The dark has turned wild in some cases like with Manus, an escaped pygmy, BECAUSE OF Gwyn trying to contain the dark soul of man. The lie? Gwyn's "gift" that was meant to contain humanity's power. That is how Aldia became the Scholar of the First Sin and pretty much gave up after the Ruin Knights failed(shown by the armor found in the ringed city).

    But not all hope is lost, despite what Aldia would tell you. I feel like people don't really try to understand the real meaning behind Gael's quest. Gael fought since the age of the gods with persistence. I think that the Painted World of Ash is truly the most perfect end to the series. In a world that is free from the influence of the gods, in a world that will never rot, my theory is that this Painted World of Ash is a world that would not be too different from our own, except for magic and all. But there would be no hollowing, the most important quality.

    There are definitely links between DS2 and DS3. DS2 had tons of lore, and it would have been disrespectful for Miyazaki to not relate DS3 to DS2's lore, just think about it. Miyazaki did a lot of story planning throughout the series, but not all of it. His own employees worked on DS2 AND DS3. People hate on DS2, but it's lore is just as good as the other 2 games, in my opinion. God bless Dark Souls and all of its fans!

    submitted by /u/nolawnchayre
    [link] [comments]

    Just beat Ornstein & Smough at sl1 without shield or pyromancy - incredibly happy

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 04:38 PM PDT

    Bit annoying that I cant share a screenshot or the recording so I created an entire YouTube account for that (to get internet validation points)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3Oi6lxzAM

    submitted by /u/Accomplished_Slip390
    [link] [comments]

    My 6yo finally beat Taurus Demon \o/

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 05:24 AM PDT

    He's the youngest of my 2 sons, going on 7 soon, and is super into knights, swords and myths in general. He'd been asking me to let him start Dark Souls for a long time, but my response until a few months ago was that it was really difficult and he wouldn't enjoy it. When I finally gave in, we agreed on the fact that I wouldn't touch the controller past the Asylum, and that he would have to master and overcome the game by himself. And so he started; I explained the mechanics to him, advised on gear, and let him experiment in the Asylum. I eventually beat the first boss for him as I thought Undead Burg would be a better training ground, and then he was on his own.

    That was several months ago. Unlike his older brother who's always got a taste for leveling up his skills in games (Rayman, Hollow Knight etc...), that was his first time actually trying hard at a game. A game his older brother hadn't played before him. He worked his way to the bonfire, slowly learning to plan his moves, manage his stamina, keep his calm, trying out weapons, exploring every nooks and corners. He got good at it, and witnessing the pleasure of finally "getting" the DS gameplay on my little guy was awesome to watch. Then he hit another wall when he finally reached the Taurus Demon.

    He took many breaks inbetween all that, playing other games with his brother, and always came back to it eventually. For a long time, Taurus was just too overwhelming. The music, the size, the brutal delayed strikes ... he'd start well and lose his calm, spam roll, lose his stamina and die. "It's just too hard ! it's unfair !". He'd move on to another game but eventually always came back to it, only to get punished again. He respected our deal and never asked me to beat it for him, though.

    Then yesterday, he gave it another go. Despite breezing through the path from the bonfire, he died over and over to the boss again, until at one point, something clicked. He stopped accompanying the controller by arms and body motions like he does when he starts panicking, he stopped holding his breath while planning a dodge, he stopped letting the boss dictate the rhythm by backing up, planning the patterns, dropping his shield to recover stamina, and when he realized it, he calmly said "I think I'm going to beat him". Me and his brother watched silently as he slowly hacked at the boss's health bar, taking his time, dodging or blocking when he had to. And eventually ... he got him ! We all cheered so loudly wifey ran downstairs to check if everything was ok. The look on his face when he looked back at us at this moment was priceless. A look of pure joy and well earned victory.

    It might sound silly, but that was definitely one of "those" dad moments to me. Seeing my little guy overcome one of his first self-imposed challenges. It also reminded me of how and why I fell in love with those games years ago.

    Praise the sun !

    edit: thanks everyone for being awesome ! Read some answers to the little guy earlier and he was ecstatic ! Pretty sure it ironed his resolve to git gud even further. Awesome community as always, love you all \`[T] /

    submitted by /u/n33k33
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls Tattoo Ideas for a girl?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 08:06 PM PDT

    The Dark Souls Series has been one of my favorite games of all time and I've been thinking of having it tattoo'd for about a year now. When I search for inspiration it's mostly huge tattoos. I'm more into smaller tattoos and I was wondering if you guys have any tattoo ideas that would fit that!

    I'm thinking of having solaire's sun done but was open to more ideas. Thanks guys! Praise the sun!

    submitted by /u/cherrypizza
    [link] [comments]

    I accidentally made the Hellkite Wyvern kill itself.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 11:29 PM PDT

    So I was soul farming and I think when I rested at the bonfire, the Wyvern spawned into its own flames and killed itself. Now I can't keep farming that area… RIP

    submitted by /u/PulpFrancisIII
    [link] [comments]

    Dark souls 2 and the journey to it.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 11:09 PM PDT

    After 10 years of trying to beat dark souls 1 off and on again and abandoning the souls genre for a while, I finally beat it yesterday. I then started to play dark souls 2 right after and wow what a jarring difference it is. I knew part 2 was divisive and there are a lot of weird things in it that seem like they don't belong but I'm enjoying it so far. Hope to beat it in the next month or two so I can move on to dark souls 3.

    submitted by /u/Spikejm
    [link] [comments]

    Thank you Gravelord Servant on Switch!!!

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 07:14 PM PDT

    I just won my first pvp ever. Big thanks to the Gravelord Servant on Switch (character name "Big Hat Jobin") in the Darkroot Garden who allowed me to invade over 20 times. Seriously, thank you for training me to be better, that was literally the most fun I've had in this game! Hope you see this.

    submitted by /u/ezrawallet
    [link] [comments]

    I thought I was good at this game...

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 08:38 PM PDT

    And then I came up against the Capra Demon on NG+......

    submitted by /u/13_Loose
    [link] [comments]

    What race were Gwyn, nito and izalith before becoming gods?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 03:56 AM PDT

    And the furtive pigmy?

    submitted by /u/Mv3tt
    [link] [comments]

    Would a mod for DS on the scale of skyrim's Enderal be possible?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 01:24 AM PDT

    So let me start off by adding some context for those who don't know. Enderal is a mod for skyrim that functionally acts as its own seperate game using skyrim's engine, changing the NPCs, enemies, map, and main story, if you dont know about it i'd highly reccomend checking it out.

    I was wondering if something like this would be at least possible in darksouls? I've always loved darksouls for its combat and interconnected world but find myself wishing I had a more traditional RPG to play with similar combat. It seems that every game that claims to have darksouls like combat it feels more like breath of the wild, very cartoonish and not especially reactive. Or assassins creed valhalla which had amazing fast paced combat but all of your attacks feel hollow as if you've hit the enemy with a LARP foam bat rather than a weapon.

    I want to see that combination of responsive combat and the feeling of weight with every swing combine with an open more exploration heavy world. Because no matter how many paths there are in darksouls its still a very streamlined game and therefore fairly linear, it pushes you down the same paths to meet the same goals.

    More than anything I would love an open world game with the exploration of skyrim the combat of darksouls, and after taking a look at the mods that have ported over darksouls combat to skyrim i think the other way around might be the smarter way to go, and im sure I'm not the only one who's had this thought.

    submitted by /u/vitaes_mercy
    [link] [comments]

    Will the game automatically throw me into NEW GAME + after the final boss?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 01:46 AM PDT

    Zwei, BLGA, or Claymore?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 11:37 PM PDT

    I'm really torn between these three. I'm on NG +1 and have 40 str, 30 dex, and 40 end. I tend to favor great swords as they have a nice balance between stamina usage, damage, and speed. This would make the claymore a shoe in. However, the BLGA pretty much does all 3 too and is somewhat better than the claymore damage wise. Then there's the zweihander which is... the zweihander. It's damage is almost on BLGA tier but it's speed is kinda gross. However, I can do multiple strong attacks or incorporate strong attacks after light attacks which is nice. Does anyone have any opinions/advice on what I should use?

    submitted by /u/shadowX1312
    [link] [comments]

    10 reasons why DS1 is like a toxic relationship

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 01:03 AM PDT

    Dark Soul remastered is to me a bit like a toxic relationship. You stick to it hoping it could work, but ultimately, you know it's the wrong one for you.

    Why?

    1) There is no communication between us

    The game doesn't teach you anything about the world you're in, nothing about the story. You find some items but what they are used for is never really explained. You're constantly thrown in the deep end and expected to understand what is in the other's mind.

    How am I supposed to know what a "Sunlight medal" is? How about the "Black Eye Orb"? The game should come with Google pre-installed!

    2) You feel horrible after you "win" a fight and realise how much time was wasted

    I spend so much time trying to go through some sections of the game, it's ludicrous.

    a. Some weeks ago, I was trying to beat Capra Demon as a sorcerer. I don't know how many times I died in the first second of going through the fog. Let's be generous and say 15 times (for a one-second only spent in the arena with the boss),

    Considering it takes 3-4 minutes to get there from the bonfire, you're basically wasting 45 minutes just to get there over and over again. And what do you learn from your opponent's patterns during this second, apart from knowing that irremediably, you're just going to get smashed by the wild dogs first thing and then instantly get cut in half by the demon...

    Anyway I got through it. There was more luck involved than skills. My girlfriend checked my heartbeat at the time, it rose from 55 to 90.

    b. I'm currently trying to beat the two bosses, Ornstein and Smough in Anor Londo. Again, it takes 2+ minutes to get there. Most of the time, I don't last 2 seconds with them, and here we are again. I Have to waste 2 minutes going through the same part oooover and oooover... Kill me dead...!

    I've been trying for 3-4 hours... over 90% was spent just getting to the bosses...Great Success, this feels like a great achievement in real life.. The never ending story of dying, and the worst part is I'm not learning anything, not improving the slightest.

    Ultimately, we're so disconnected and ->

    3) <- the relationship is so bad/hard that you end up cheating

    The game is mostly hard. I'm fine with it, but at times it's just impossible and cruel. Apparently it's for the experience ... Well I'd say my experience is ruined because the game is so bloody hard that I read walkthroughs, which I've never done for any other games before.

    As an example, in Anor Londo, I probably spent 2-3 hours going through the two Silver Knights Archers; Throwing my soul arrow was a split second too slow at times. The knight was way quicker and would hit me with his powerful arrow, and bim, falling off the edge of the ramp to my death because of the impact...

    I eventually did it, but before going through the next fog, I read a guide online to know what would happen next as I was not willing to waste another hour or more of my life to try this section again in case I would die. How is this for an experience?? Cheating never feels great.

    4) We often do the same boring thing

    For this one, I'm talking about farming (generating experience). I'm so bad at this game that I'm trying to level up, and spend some time farming. What a dull experience, doing the same thing over and over just to level up and be a bit stronger. I'd rather see a different mechanic adopted to level up. Farming is boring, but unfortunately essential in my case

    5) They are crazyyyy!

    How is this possible that enemies hit me through walls, massive pillars or even stairs? That has to be one of the most frustrating experience in the whole game. It's not just that I'm bad, but the game is also clearly buggy!

    6) Everything proves to you that the grass is greener next door

    You could understand that one in two ways with the abundance of other great games out there.

    But I'm talking about my sorcerer build. I think it's a very unfair build. I keep on finding massive swords, big bows and swords, heavy shields and armor... Can I use them ? not at all! Do I find a better Gandalf stick? never!

    Maybe further in the game I could, but so far, I really don't think it is fair and I probably should have tried something different. But since the game doesn't tell you anything, you just end up learning the very hard way.

    7) You break up and get back together a few times, but ultimately it's not meant to be

    You'll tell your friends about what is happening, ask for advice, join a reddit group, but you'll sound like a broken record. This relationship is not for you.

    8) you end up breaking up. Someone who is keen on your ex is asking you how he/she was, to which you answer he/she was crazy and advice to stay away from for their own good.

    I don't think I could recommend playing DS1 to a mate, even though I feel like that's the only thing I'm doing with my life at the moment. It's a pretty wet and miserable winter in the South Hemisphere so I have an excuse to be addicted.

    I'd say to a friend that the only reason we stayed together was because sex was bloody damn good and we had to keep each others warm through winter.

    9) Months later, You see your ex happy with someone else

    You end up writing all the key words possible on youtube, google, reddit to prove your partner/game is totally crazy, but actually you see a gamer/new lover (on youtube/in the street) doing through it just fine.

    You tried so much to make it work and it was a miserable failure. it's not fair.

    10) In the end you learned something for your next relationship
    But for that one I don't know yet. I'm still sticking to Dark Souls for this evening at least. Always considering breaking up; I'll need some time off after that one to re-calibrate. And will see if I'll be ready for another relationship in the future.
    So That's it, my 10 reasons why DS1 feels like a toxic relationship to me. I'm really new to RPG's, but Salt and Sanctuary felt way more accessible and less cruel.

    At the moment, I'm desperately trying to go through the bosses in Anor Londo (I'm level 70...) This is totally driving me mad. Hopefully writing was therapeutic and I'll kick those bit*&es as% in my next run. Wish me luck, I may have to see a relationship counselor after that.

    submitted by /u/Lozaroo
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone read the Dark Souls comics?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 03:12 AM PDT

    Can anybody tell me if they are good or should i avoid them.

    submitted by /u/Slambo14
    [link] [comments]

    What is the Dark?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 12:45 AM PDT

    As we know, the four lord souls were different. Correct if I'm wrong, but IIRC Witch of Izalith had the life soul (she created life in the form of demons) and Nito had the death soul (he administered death. Gwyn and the Furtive Pygmy, however, had the light and the dark souls. So, what really is the difference between these?

    This is what I've been thinking about lately, the concepts of dark and light is heavily displayed in the series but what do they really mean? Are light and dark just two opposing forces related to those two races, gods and humans? Or do they have some special properties attached to them? Are they related to those two other lord souls, life and death?

    Of course there never will be a full answer to this but if any of you have any ideas, please share them!

    submitted by /u/Korppiukko
    [link] [comments]

    Smough's name

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 11:46 PM PDT

    Smo, Smow, or Smoug?

    submitted by /u/Lurk-Nurgle
    [link] [comments]

    If Fire and Dark are opposed in the game (Age of Fire vs Age of Dark) then how did the Dark Soul come out of the First Flame?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 04:19 AM PDT

    By fire I mean the First Flame and Great Souls that came out of it. I believe the Gods' powers are usually opposed to the powers of the abyss but then how did they come out of the same thing? Is it a useful divide created by Gods themselves just because they feared how "different" was the Pygmy's power. (but then again how can it be different if it came out of the same thing)

    Was it all just some metaphor? But First Flame literally exists in game so it really can't be.

    submitted by /u/Older_1
    [link] [comments]

    Dark souls 2 question

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 06:53 PM PDT

    So I'm playing dark souls 3 like blood borne (if that makes sense) and have beat blood borne and played ds1 but never finished it (Orenstein and Smaug) so is dark souls 2 worth playing because I've heard some say to not play it that it will destroy my love for the games

    submitted by /u/rage-duckling
    [link] [comments]

    Finally beat O & S

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 05:10 PM PDT

    Finally beat them after many tries with help from solaire and thepedroavc. Big thanks him because with out him I surely would not have won

    submitted by /u/oblivionknight9
    [link] [comments]

    Shiva and their bodyguard are hostile, what did I do wrong?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 08:20 PM PDT

    I joined the forest covenant and I walked to where shiva was supposed to be but they weren't there, next thing I know shiva, their bodyguard, and 3 other NPCs are attacking me, so I assume I did something wrong?

    submitted by /u/Vuzoon
    [link] [comments]

    Tomb of Giants was a damn thrill. By far my favorite Area so far.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 05:08 AM PDT

    The amount of... "of fuck.. another dog, WHYS THERE BLACK KNIGHT DOWN HERE WHAT?? Was tedious yet fitting. That shit pushed me to my limits. I never felt that way in any soulsborne game before.

    Anyways, Grave lord Nito was not that bad of a boss. 1 down 3 to go!! :)

    I just saw scaley crystal boy before i homeboned. He'll have to wait until tomorrow.

    submitted by /u/LightningKup0
    [link] [comments]

    Shield Run Tips

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 11:57 PM PDT

    I'm about to do a shield only run, and I really just need to know, what should my starting class be? Any other tips would be appreciated too.

    submitted by /u/WutADay450
    [link] [comments]

    [Fluff][Real Hollow Material] I beat my 2nd Souls game ever, Dark Souls Remastered!

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 01:01 AM PDT

    I just beat my second Souls game, Dark Souls Remastered. Overall, I found it way easier than my first Souls game, Dark Souls 3, though probably due to my having "got gud" more than it actually being easier. Not being able to warp to bonfires until a third or more of the way through the game was a hassle, but I got used to it. I think all of the bosses were fairly easy compared to crazy hard bosses from DS3 like Nameless King and Lord of Cinder. The fact that you can so easily parry Gwyn is crazy. With 45 Dex and a +15 Iaito with Gold Pine Resin, each parry dealt him more than 20% of his health. I think the fight took about 45 seconds. Very anticlimactic for a final boss, but I guess that's what the DLC was for. I was far more engaged with the story in this one compared to DS3. I'm looking forward to continuing things with 2 and then coming back and replaying 3 and paying better attention to the lore this time.

    Upcoming Souls/Souls-like gaming plans:

    1. Jedi: Fallen Order
    2. Demon Souls (PS3 version emulated on PC because I don't have a console)
    3. Dark Souls 2
    4. Bloodborne (PS Now)
    5. Dark Souls 3 replay

    Anyway, for anyone who hasn't played Dark Souls yet, do it. It's a great game and you can totally see why it spawned such a die-hard fanbase.

    Praise the sun!
    📷

    Like
    Comment

    submitted by /u/KerooSeta
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment