• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 8, 2021

    Dark Souls Weekly General Discussion Thread (May 07, 2021)

    Dark Souls Weekly General Discussion Thread (May 07, 2021)


    Weekly General Discussion Thread (May 07, 2021)

    Posted: 07 May 2021 09:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the weekly general discussion thread! This thread is for the community to discuss whatever is on their mind (whether it is Dark Souls 1 related or not).

    Have a question that you've been meaning to ask but haven't gotten around to making a post yet? Something on your mind you want to discuss? Playing a game that you think others would like? Comment away! All we ask is that you are respectful of each other, and have fun!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    450 hours and I just released you can attune one spell multiple times.

    Posted: 07 May 2021 02:53 PM PDT

    Do you know how broken my sorcery character would be if I knew that 300 hours ago! I only found out by accidentally pressing a spell twice and immediately felt like I'd been playing with a handle cap by trying to use all of the spells.

    I'm not only ashamed of myself but this sub for never telling me.

    On a positive, my miracle build now has far too many wraith of the gods' slots.

    submitted by /u/DeprivedStatic
    [link] [comments]

    Doing my first playthrough, and I just have to say...

    Posted: 07 May 2021 11:41 AM PDT

    Fuck blighttown.

    submitted by /u/SnowyOranges
    [link] [comments]

    Just beat the Bell Gargoyles on my first run!

    Posted: 07 May 2021 02:03 PM PDT

    I'm on my first playthrough of the game and I am loving it so far, though it did take me a while to really enjoy it.

    That being said, I've watched zero gameplay or walkthroughs and finally beaten the Bell Gargoyles! They took me at least 15 attempts but it felt so good after I beat them!

    Just wanted to share my small victory with the community!

    submitted by /u/AntPan
    [link] [comments]

    Ranking all the Dark Souls games

    Posted: 07 May 2021 02:10 PM PDT

    This was originally a comment, but I decided I wanted to make a post about it.

    I think the general consensus in the souls community, but mainly this subreddit is that 1 is the best, 3 is pretty good, and stay at least 50 meters away from 2 at all times. This is the most common opinion I see when people rank the games. However, I really don't like ranking the games. I found that whenever I try, I always ending up coming with a different conclusion based on what aspect of the games I am focused on at the moment. I think the problem is that each game has different strengths and weaknesses, and are different enough to say that it is hard to rate them on the same metric.

    For example, one of the main reasons why people like 1 the best is that it does much of what 2 and 3 try to do better. It's combat is much smoother and less clunky than 2's, and it has an amazingly interconnected world and level design, which was halfhearted at best in 2, and completely scrapped in 3. And the story in 3 was contrived and feels very same-y when compared to 1's. Not to mention thick atmosphere that the other games fail to recapture. But this is just focusing on a few things I think 1 does really well. There are so many things the other games do better, so instead of ranking them, I have decided to compile a list of each games strengths and weaknesses. They are all S tier games in my opinion, and I hate to say any of them are better or worse than another.

    Dark Souls 1:

    Strengths:

    • Interconnected world design
    • Stellar enemy and level design (for the most part)
    • Great story and incredibly deep lore
    • Smooth and fun combat, many people say it's clunky, but I think that's just because the other games are so much faster. The combat is still great
    • Firelink Shrine is the best hub level. It feels like I actually have to return there every once in a while to check on npcs, and it genuinely feels connected to the rest of the world, because it is.
    • So atmospheric. Each area feels like it's life is slowly fading away, like the world is on it's last breaths and in desperate need of cpr.

    Weaknesses:

    • Lost Izalith, Tomb of the Giants, and Bed of Chaos are absolutely terrible. They really make me dread playing through again just because I know I have them waiting for me near the end.

    Dark Souls 2:

    Strengths:

    • Unbelievable amount of build variety. Seriously, probably my favorite part of Dark Souls 2 is how diverse the builds can be. Magic is much more interesting, and bow builds are actually kind of viable
    • Decent story, not as good as 1's, but still great. I liked how much the world has changed since 1, and the stuff with Nashandra and King Vendrick and Sir Alonne was all great
    • Majula is one of the best hub world in the Souls series. It has the most depth and
    • The graphics can look amazing in some places, like Majula, or Heide's tower of Flame

    Weaknesses:

    • So glitchy. The hitboxes are definitely above average, but nowhere near the quality of every other Fromsoftware game since Demon Souls. There are many, many videos of people getting hit by grab attacks from miles away. And the engine is obviously not finished. Enemies will pop into existence literally as I run into them, and just walking away causes enemy corpses to need to be reloaded. Characters will be moving in lower framerates just short distances away, and that's just skimming the top.
    • Worst pve in the series. This is a more subjective thing, but the combat feels the clunkiest in the entire series. It's really just not all that fun for me
    • The graphics. I know I said graphics are a strength, but they are also a weakness. It is obvious they had to downgrade them last minutes, because the textures look washed out and unappealing. And the hud design is terrible. It is so inconvenient to navigate, which is a problem the other games don't have. Just one example is a weapons scaling and stats are not directly viewable from the main equip screen, which is a minor oversight, but can be really annoying in practice. Most problems in ds2 are just oversights imo. They didn't have enough time to finish the game, so there is a lot of stuff that was let slide.
    • The animations are really bad. Everything feels less natural than 1 and 3, like rolling, or swinging a weapon. Every enemy seems like they're moving underwater, or have multiple limbs dislocated.
    • Adaptability, and i-frames. I-frames are one of the most important things in Souls games, since rolling is the basis for much of it's combat. You can always roll and avoid all damage, which is an extremely important thing when you consider the limited amount of healing given to you in the games (although 2 has lifegems, but they kind of suck as well). And being able to i-frame through animations like opening doors or going through fog gates is so useful, but that is more of a personal thing. But the smaller amounts of i-frames without levelling adaptability a ton is a big problem when combined with the terrible hitboxes. It just brings down an otherwise pretty solid combat system. And why do you need to level adaptability to bring up your shield faster? That just doesn't make much sense. The problem with this is that it means the game requires more skilled play near the beginning of the game, when you have very little i-frames and will still get hit even if you roll almost perfectly.
    • Inconsistent boss design. There are plenty of great bosses in ds2, but most of them are just bad gank bosses
    • Soul memory: I would have said ds2 has the best pvp, but soul memory just takes that notion and buries it underneath the deepest depths of the sea

    Dark Souls 3:

    Strengths:

    • Best pve. Honestly the level and enemy design is the best in the series, and while there isn't all that much build or weapon variety, the game still has a pretty diverse set of weapons to use.
    • Best pvp. Probably the most well fleshed out, and I enjoy the covenant system and arena battles a ton.
    • Best bosses. I thought there were some stand out bosses in 1 and 2, but honestly 3 has some of the best boss fights in all of gaming. Except for a couple that are bad, most fights in ds3 are well designed and fun.
    • Consistent quality. There are a couple dips, but never as bad as some of the stuff in 1 and 2.
    • Beautiful graphics and world design. Another really subjective thing, but I love the graphics in ds3.
    • Best soundtrack. The ost's in 1and 2 are fine, but 3 has the best music imo. Many of the best pieces in the souls series are in 3.

    Weaknesses:

    • Not a great story. Still good, but it feels like it retreads what ds1 established. Although I will say, if you interpret as symbolic of the cyclical nature of the series, then I do have to give it a few points. And I really liked Gael and the Painter.
    • Each area feels disconnected from the rest, and the interconnected world design which was so great in ds1 and was at least attempted in 2 was scrapped. And Firelink Shrine is ok, but again, it doesn't seem as intertwined with the rest of the world like Majula or Firelink Shrine in ds1, which directly conflicts with the point of hub worlds in Dark Souls games
    • Not much build variety. My playstyle feels too similar between each playthrough of the game, and I always use similar strategies and weapons for each boss between playthroughs, since there really isn't all that much different between builds, at least when compared to 1 or especially 2.
    submitted by /u/Brickybob
    [link] [comments]

    Theory about faith and miracles

    Posted: 07 May 2021 07:31 PM PDT

    (Spoilers for Bloodborne below.)

    I don't think miracles come from the great lords. Gwyn, Nito, Gwyndolin, etc are all very powerful beings but they aren't gods. All can be defeated by your chosen undead (a human). All have suffered terrible fates before you even reach them. And above all, they did not create the great souls or the first flame, they found the flame. They were part of the world and did not create it, which means they themselves were created

    The real gods are the Great Ones, the Lovecraftian Eldritch beings as seen in Bloodborne. Truly cosmic entities that have reached an ascended state of being beyond comprehension, even attempting to do so will drive the mind insane.

    "Praise the Sun" has literal meaning. The sun itself is a Great One, the source of all flame. We never see it appear, but I believe it could have a physical manifestation like the Moon Presence in Bloodborne, which is the embodiment of the moon. I believe the sun and the moon are both Great Ones (with the moon possibly being the Moon Presence itself in a shared world with Bloodborne).

    The other Great One from Bloodborne is Kos or some say Kosm. The Great One whose dreams create reality. The literal manifestation of the cosmos.

    The lords of dark souls draw their power from such beings. Gwyn is lord of sunlight, Gwyndolin of the moon, the dark magic/dark soul/abyss/Pygmy would be of the cosmos (Kos).

    The lore is so hidden in all of these games. But the hunters serve the Moon Presence for certain, and they killed Kos. Conflict existed between Great Ones. It could be that Kos or a similar Great One sent the dark soul to defeat the flame and the other lord souls that were presumably sent by the sun and moon Great Ones as part of a cosmic conflict

    Just speculation, a cool way to connect the games. None of the lore is settled, but it possibly fits. Gwyndolin has the appearance of a kin with his tentacles and lesser status.

    Even if they aren't the same beings from Bloodborne, I still feel like similar cosmic Lovecraftian entities created the world of Dark Souls. Also titanite seems like something that fell out of the heavens. I've always thought that

    submitted by /u/MoonlitBadlands
    [link] [comments]

    Had a brainfart, made an intro to Dripsouls, hope you enjoy.

    Posted: 07 May 2021 10:39 PM PDT

    In the age of trad, the world was unformed, shrouded by fog.

    A land of grey kitchens, trad trees and forever trad dragons,

    But then there was Fire, and with Fire came Disparity;

    Lit and Chill,

    Rap and Raves,

    And of course... Drip and Yee Yee.

    Then, from the Yee, they came, and found the souls of Styles within the flame.

    NITO, THE RAVE OF THE DEAD

    THE RAP OF IZALITH, AND HER MIXTAPES OF CHAOS

    GWYN, DRIP OF SUNLIGHT, AND HIS SUPREME KNIGHTS

    AND THE FURTIVE YEE ZEES, OH SO EASILY FORGOTTEN

    With the strength of styles, they challenged the dragons

    GWYN'S Gucci outdripped their stone scales,

    THE WITCHES mixtapes roasted them like great firestorms,

    NITO unleashed a miasma of Partying Fatigue,

    And SEATH THE NUDIST betrayed his own,

    and the dragons were no more.

    Thus began the age of Drip, but soon the flames will fade, and only Yee will remain.

    Even now, there are only droplets, and man sees not drip, but only endless virgins

    And amongst the stylish are seen, carriers of the accursed Yeesign.

    submitted by /u/AutisticBeeArmada
    [link] [comments]

    Sunlight Medal Necklace I made with laser cut acrylic and gold paint!

    Posted: 07 May 2021 06:14 AM PDT

    FromSoftware Cares (Meme)

    Posted: 08 May 2021 03:16 AM PDT

    Getting to seath the scaleless was harder than any boss so far!

    Posted: 07 May 2021 11:22 AM PDT

    To all new players, I've played all the soulsborne games except this one and honestly, I've died more getting to his fight than any other boss. I think that's an enemy people don't know about their first time, the world will kill you more than enemies will. Rolling off the iron golem, drowning fighting the hydra etc!

    submitted by /u/Dookie879
    [link] [comments]

    I've completed this game multiple times, with each branch of magic, and also gotten the platinum trophy.

    Posted: 07 May 2021 10:27 PM PDT

    And I just died to pinwheel. . . . . . . Why is lightning spear so slow :(

    submitted by /u/JoshThePleb
    [link] [comments]

    I just got 100% achievements and I have a few thoughts

    Posted: 07 May 2021 11:34 PM PDT

    Let's start with the obvious, this is one of the best games of all time the balance between the challenge and the reward is amazing, the level design is incredible and how everything is connected together, with that said there are some aspects of the game that can be criticized, since I bought the remastered version on steam for $40 because it did not go on sale for the past year or so for those who don't own PTD version, how fucking greedy is Bandai Namco!

    First, the PVP, I started FromSoftware games as follows, Sekiro, DS3, DS2 and DSR, DS3 is my all time favorite game and I put a ton of time in the PVP because it was so good and I had fun fighting other people, coming into DSR I was expecting something similar, but no it's not fun at all the whole fight is trying to backstab, and that's it, and most of those backstabs is questionable to say the least, and that was a big disappointment for me.

    Second, the Bonfires, I understand how good is the level design, but so was the level design of DS3 and we could fast travel to any bonfire, and not some specific ones after a point in the game. I wish they implemented that same thing for the remastered version since those assholes charge you $40 for a three years old remastered of a 10 years old game.

    Third, the Bosses, it broke my heart killing Sif three times to get the Knight's Honor achievement, especially on my second playthrough where I played the DLC first and I saved him, then before the fight he recognized me and I was like hey body you know me, we don't have to do this but he did it anyway :(. My favorite boss was knight Artorias, the human like boss in the souls games are always challenging and fun, my favorite in DS2 was Fume knight and Havel knight in DS3. BS boss goes to Bed of Chaos since I was fighting the floor and not the boss.

    Finally, there are some other miner things that it could have been fixed, like the inventory which they could've implemented something similar to DS3 for the remastered version, I also had some questionable hitboxes every now and then, but in the end I had a blast and this was my second 100% achievements for FromSoftware games after Sekiro.

    [100%] https://postimg.cc/Yhx1hCCb

    submitted by /u/EveryUzerNameIzTaken
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck in demon ruins

    Posted: 07 May 2021 09:13 PM PDT

    I got to demon ruins and need to get into the chaos servant covenant. But I don't have any way to get back to the depths and farm for humanity. The door to save solaire is not open, Im so confused and need help.

    submitted by /u/chunkyfunkee
    [link] [comments]

    Ceaseless discharge, any tips?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 08:42 PM PDT

    I'm fighting ceaseless discharge and I'm getting totally obliterated. Any tips?

    submitted by /u/ChickenHead07
    [link] [comments]

    Update on my commitment to completing this game... finally

    Posted: 07 May 2021 07:20 PM PDT

    I made it past Quelaag today. Y'all were right, upgrading my weapon was exactly what I needed. I killed her in 1 try after that.

    Is there any way to do the "easy kill" on ceaseless discharge if you've already picked up the armor?

    submitted by /u/WrinklyScroteSack
    [link] [comments]

    DS Remastered PvP: From SL 35 to 135, 7 Poise to 60+ Poise

    Posted: 08 May 2021 03:51 AM PDT

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sIgyIFdWto

    for some of you, who might be interested in PvP activity/different builds (just ask if you want to know something), this is on PS4 btw.

    submitted by /u/mrmash90
    [link] [comments]

    Revisiting Anor Londo

    Posted: 07 May 2021 05:43 PM PDT

    So, as some of you know, I'm doing a guide series for for first time Dark Souls players. This means I have to play through the game again. Which is actually pretty great. Except I'm currently doing Anor Londo again. Those. F#@%ing. Archers. (And the pair of demons right before them.)

    Edit for clarity: I know how to get past them, and I did. I just haven't died that much since I decided to take on Havel at level 15. And, with Havel, when I died, it was because I screwed up. With this bunch, it's one of the few places where I legitimately feel like the game is just screwing with me to screw me. (I'm also aware they're nerfed, and even mentioned it in the recording.)

    submitted by /u/InsomniacTheater
    [link] [comments]

    Need some help with weapon choice

    Posted: 08 May 2021 03:25 AM PDT

    I've just got a bit through Oolacile after getting through Ornstein and Smough, and I'm up for Artorias next, and a friend told me it's really hard, but a shield helps. I use the BKGS, so I can't really use a shield unless I switch weapons, so I'm looking for some advice on weapon choice. I've got a Claymore, Zweihander (which I don't know is a great idea since Y'know, two hander), and the silver knight ss, but I'm up to try get a better usable one handed weapon

    submitted by /u/Speeda2
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with achciement

    Posted: 08 May 2021 03:04 AM PDT

    Hey Guys i have a really hard time getting the rare weapon achievement, can anyone maybe help me find all the weapons location?

    submitted by /u/Deep-Cry-9462
    [link] [comments]

    Update on my 4 kings struggle!

    Posted: 08 May 2021 02:11 AM PDT

    You guys are an amazing community! With your tips (havels set and sticking to the sword side of the kings), i managed to beat them the first try. So thanks! Heading for Nito now, and afterwards im gonna go kill Kalameet (and manus if i havent beaten him) before doing Gwyn. If you're wondering why Artorias and Sanctuary Guardian are not on the list anymore... I wanted to unlock the special Sif cutscene, so i had to go to the chasm of the abyss before fighting sif. Anyway, that was it for now. Keep it up fellow chosen undead!

    submitted by /u/guido_1555
    [link] [comments]

    Friend playing DS1 for the first time today and every death will be a forfeit (shot of gin/whiskey etc)

    Posted: 08 May 2021 02:08 AM PDT

    He's never played it before and generally sucks at games. He has just started twitch streaming and is struggling with viewers. I suggested this challenge in a hope to get him some views etc. He is adamant about playing with keyboard and mouse despite me telling him to use his ps4 controller. So if anyone wants a bit of entertainment, please tune in at 3pm BST at www.twitch.tv/drskullbasher It might just be rubbish with him trying to kill the asylum demon first time and him getting drunk very quickly.

    EDIT: After speaking to my friend, the chances of hard liquor are now quite low as a forfeit. There are now forfeits such as a drink of double cream as well as "deep throating a banana whilst singing YMCA"...

    submitted by /u/mrnadiapowers
    [link] [comments]

    give me a sadistic challenge

    Posted: 07 May 2021 08:03 PM PDT

    don't be gentle

    submitted by /u/hollow_mf
    [link] [comments]

    This is the best community

    Posted: 07 May 2021 09:45 AM PDT

    Plain and simple... the Dark Souls community is the best.

    COVID gave me the time to really get back into gaming (Im a camera operator, so all I do is "stories", and games were my original favorite type of "story"). This lead me to DS1, and this sub.

    I've played at least a dozen other great games in the past year and I wanted to 'join the community for those' too.

    This is the only place where people actually want to know what each player's unique experience was. Far too often are people told how to play a game (looking at you, Undertale (great game though))...

    Not here.

    Here you are free to be the chosen undead, or accidentally roll off cliffs and die. Either way, people appreciate you and your experience.

    Just wanted to say Im grateful I played this game, and that it was hard enough to drive me to join the subreddit for help. I got more out of it in the end, this is probably my favorite sub.

    Don't go hollow my friends.

    submitted by /u/MistaBuldops
    [link] [comments]

    New londo ruins

    Posted: 07 May 2021 09:50 PM PDT

    I ran out of curses so what do i do

    submitted by /u/kushdocter332
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment