• Breaking News

    Tuesday, May 4, 2021

    Dark Souls School Project: What makes Dark Souls so special?

    Dark Souls School Project: What makes Dark Souls so special?


    School Project: What makes Dark Souls so special?

    Posted: 03 May 2021 02:01 PM PDT

    Link to survey here

    Hi everyone,

    I'm a graduate school student, conducting design research about Dark Souls, and I'm especially interested in learning what parts of the series are most important!

    I was wondering if you could help me by filling out a quick survey. The survey is short (5 minutes) if you don't want to write any answers, but it also leaves room for you to elaborate if you want.

    Thank you so much and please send me any feedback and suggestions about where I can explore further!

    submitted by /u/BigBaller528
    [link] [comments]

    In just over a month I have played all 3 Dark Souls games, my thoughts summed up

    Posted: 03 May 2021 08:50 AM PDT

    Sorry in advance for the long post. Bought the first Dark Souls a month ago, became addicted. Have about 200+ hours across the 3 games after beating them. Here are my thoughts on them:

    Dark Souls 1

    The holy grail of the trio. 100+ hours later and it is my favourite game of all time. The world and level design is near perfect. The NPCs are the best. The combat was brutal to get the hang of it but once it clicked, holy crap was I addicted. The combat in other games just feels so lacklustre compared to this. DS combat has weight to it, if that makes sense.

    My first run was a strength build where I summoned a lot for help. I also got around 2/3 of the way though NG+ on that file (still summoning). Then I did a sorcerer build with no summons and finally did the DLC since I missed out on it. That was loads of fun and sorcerers are ridiculously over powered lol. Now I'm doing a Cleric build with no summons, and also started a Bow only build (so brutal). Eventually want to do a no shield run.

    This one is definitely the most repayable once for me and see myself doing it over and over again.

    Also, nothing will ever top for me climbing up the arch to the Guardian Painting room in Anor Londo. That just felt so grand and epic, made me feel like I was on an amazing adventure.

    Dark Souls 2

    I honestly don't understand why everyone talks bad about this one. I actually really liked it. I played this one after playing 3 so the slow, more methodical combat really felt more in line with Dark Souls 1 so I enjoyed that. Probably my favourite combat in terms of pacing. Even though I played this one last it was finally where I felt I was truly understanding Dark Souls combat. I tend to rely on shielding more than rolling but I was twitch blocking to keep my stamina up vs just holding my shield up all the time as before. I wasn't greedy with my hits and took my time.

    I also beat it without any summons which was huge for me!

    The world design wasn't nearly as strong as 1 but the aesthetic of some of the areas was really nice. Especially Majula. NPCs were pretty good too, Lucatiel was AWESOME. I only found out later that I missed out on getting her gear :

    Though the mobs of enemies were frustrating and the hollowing health bar mechanic was trash lol (thank god for that ring).

    Dark Souls 3

    Still an AMAZING game, just my least favourite of the three. Was a bit too fast paced for my liking. I ended up doing a dex build since strength builds felt much too slow for this.

    I did appreciate the speed when moving around the map though, it felt very fluid. It's also probably the "coolest" game in the series, the bosses were so epic. But I had to summon so much just to get through this one. I also liked the character designs in this one. NPCs were fantastic in this one (Anri's quest line was amazing).

    It was also nice with all of the references to DS1, Anor Londo was particularly cool to see again.

    Summary

    This is the best series I have ever played, it's managed to top out the Metroid, Zelda, Earthbound and Final Fantasy series for me which is HUGE. I feel like games have been ruined forever by these games lol.

    I've always been huge on stories in games, I've always been someone who hates hard games and plays on the easiest settings. Despite liking the Final Fantasy series, I was never into the fantasy setting (which is why 6 was my favourite). Music in games is probably one of the most important things for me when playing.

    Dark Souls has broken down all of that. The way the lore is presented is so unique, and makes me just go looking for answers. The difficulty never felt cheap, even Bed of Chaos, since on my second run I managed to beat it in less than 5 tries. It ALWAYS gave you a way to win. The bleak, fantasy world where there is rarely happy endings was something I didn't know I was looking for. And I didn't even notice that the game has no music for the most part (besides bosses and a few areas).

    I'm contemplating whether to play Sekiro since I know it's much faster paced and relies on parrying a lot (I did the three games pretty much not parrying…). I will probably give it a try though.

    I'll finish off with my favourite quote from the series:

    "Good bye then. Be safe, friend. Don't you dare go Hollow."

    submitted by /u/SaidTheEmu
    [link] [comments]

    (Early boss fight) I found a new ending!

    Posted: 03 May 2021 08:26 PM PDT

    Hey all, I only picked up the game just last steam sale. I can't finish it.

    For me, the game has ended when you get to Sif. Instead of fighting, you and Sif decide instead to head to the Winchester and let this whole thing blow over.

    Does anybody know of a mod to not have to fight her?

    submitted by /u/jynxgk1
    [link] [comments]

    Petrus and Patches Conspiracy?

    Posted: 03 May 2021 11:05 AM PDT

    So we know that Reah goes to the Tomb of the Giants and is betrayed by Petrus, if you pay for the hint from Lautrec he even tells you this himself: "In the depths of the Catacombs, M'lady slipped off the giant's coffin and into a hole... Right now, you could do as you please with her. "

    If you go down there yourself she will tell you that she was actually fooled by Patches: "Vince and Nico were fooled by a lout named Patches, and turned into Hollows." He'll even kick you down the same hole.

    So why does Petrus say she slipped? And how did he get away? I think Petrus and Patches must be working together, Petrus lures clerics down to the catacombs and Patches kills them. By telling you that you can do as you please with Reah, he is luring you to go after her. He doesn't mention Patches so that he will trick you as well.

    Makes sense right?

    submitted by /u/HistoricalNoise4
    [link] [comments]

    I just got the Havel’s Ring! ��

    Posted: 03 May 2021 10:28 AM PDT

    Like I'm on top of the world (Gonna fly now playing as background music)

    submitted by /u/sianamak
    [link] [comments]

    What's your favourite weapon?

    Posted: 03 May 2021 01:55 PM PDT

    I'm not talking about best weapon but the weapon you like using the most. You can also use categories like your favourite strength / dex weapon. I'm just interested in what my fellow undeads use to slay their enemies.

    I'll start with my favourite weapon:

    the Great Scythe

    Why?

    High range, available super early in the Game, surprisingly high damage for a dex weapon and a beautiful moveset

    submitted by /u/lxurin_hei
    [link] [comments]

    I killed Eingyi. How do I get the egg head off

    Posted: 03 May 2021 11:38 PM PDT

    Please as few spoilers as possible, I just beat o&s and am in lost izoleth. I just want to have helmets back, I don't really like the covenant of chaos much and would like the egg on my head gone.

    submitted by /u/Blunderfrick
    [link] [comments]

    A story of abuse and Ash lake: Update

    Posted: 03 May 2021 01:49 PM PDT

    Hello all! I made a post 3 months ago talking about ash lake and the reprise darksouls gave me from living in an abusive home. I am now currently fully moved in with my dad and my first year of college is completely paid for.

    I did a soul level 1 run of the copy someone bought for me for pc shout out to u/betabetafishfish

    I remember on that post that someone said there was going to be a planned meet up at ash lake on may 16th. I was just wondering how many were planning on going? I'm just excited to see support from this community. So consider this post an intrest check or a reminder to some. :)

    submitted by /u/MLIASP
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished the Souls Trilogy.

    Posted: 03 May 2021 08:12 AM PDT

    Yes. Finally. 1 year ago I started playing Dark Souls 2 and started to learn about one of the most well written and awesome videogame universe. After Ds2, I started Ds3 and got the platinum trophy. And some days ago, I started Ds1 and I just finished it, and I plan to get the platinum trophy for it too. Sadly I didn't feel the same level of difficulty I felt in Ds2, because I already had a lot of experience from the last 2 games and I finished the game in only 6 days. (Just to compare, I needed 2 months to finish ds2). And, that's it! I feel great for doing this gigantic journey of one year playing Dark Souls games. And what I learned from Dark Souls is pretty obvious... Never give up, and praise the sun.

    submitted by /u/TheOnCcyborg
    [link] [comments]

    Please dear lord jesus help me

    Posted: 03 May 2021 07:48 PM PDT

    I went so far into blight town that I ended up at quelaags domain

    My main weapon is broken I have no poison clumps, no humanities

    Cant go back, all the enemies would merk me, and it would take 50 years to get back to andre.

    Cant go forward, Boulder throwing cavemen and Quelaag stop me.

    My choice is going to be to spam Quelaag until I win, I'm going to give myself a hernia

    Vent post

    submitted by /u/2feds
    [link] [comments]

    TIPS FOR FIRST TIME IN DS1

    Posted: 04 May 2021 03:30 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I just finished DS3 and I am about to start DS1 for the first time, what tips and advise can you give me to enjoy this awesome game?

    Thanks guys, this Community is amazing!

    submitted by /u/ALAMIRION
    [link] [comments]

    First play through.

    Posted: 03 May 2021 05:12 PM PDT

    I just reached the grad duke archives I believe the location is called, right after your first encounter with seath and I'd like to say this is the best game I've ever played so far.

    submitted by /u/DizzyKaleidoscop
    [link] [comments]

    I dont know if i should play this

    Posted: 04 May 2021 04:19 AM PDT

    Just like you read, the title. I started with DS3 and i wanted to sink in to the original one, but the thing is that i watched a lot of videos from youtubers, so kind of i know what happens in an area, and all its bosses too. That means, im kind of spoiled out a lot of stuff.

    submitted by /u/The_R3venant
    [link] [comments]

    Fire keeper died how do I get a new one?

    Posted: 03 May 2021 06:22 PM PDT

    I was going back the firelink shrine one day and she was dead. I don't know what caused this i shot at the raven till it flew away. I also saved some guy in golden armor and someone put I note in front of him saying "enemy" He disappeared the same time she did so I think that's who killed her.

    submitted by /u/Thomas_dsx
    [link] [comments]

    [Spoilers] I think I know why there is an empty chest in the Darkmoon Tomb.

    Posted: 03 May 2021 04:58 PM PDT

    I guess everyone guessed it before me but I think I finally found why.

    After killing Gwyndolin, you reach the Darkmoon Tomb where there are 3 chests (in my memories at least): One is containing the Sunlight Blade, an other one contains the Brass armor set, and the third one is empty. Do you know/remember that the Anor Londo firekeeper is wearing a Brass armor set given by Gwyndolin after she has joined the Darkmoon Blade covenant? Well it is likely that this third chest contained the Brass set that the firekeeper wears, knowing that Gwyndolin never leaves the Darkmoon Tomb. I must be the last one finding this but I'm happy lol. What do you think anyway?

    Feel free to tell me if the lore already says there was something else in this chest.

    submitted by /u/cp_27points
    [link] [comments]

    Wondering

    Posted: 03 May 2021 11:08 PM PDT

    There are a lot of rule 34 on the internet, about games and movies. And what's been bothering me is that a game as popular as dark souls doesn't have much rule 34 about a boss that is literally called "gaping dragon" which is strange. (side note. Don't know if I has to mark it as "nsfw" but better to be safe than sorry.)

    submitted by /u/zavalasbathwater
    [link] [comments]

    Ranked the bosses by difficulty to me. Tell me if you agree or disagree.

    Posted: 03 May 2021 06:06 PM PDT

    1. Manus, Father of the Abyss
    2. Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
    3. Ornstein and Smough
    4. Bed of Chaos
    5. Black Dragon Kalameet
    6. Knight Artorias
    7. Four Kings
    8. Chaos Witch Quelaag
    9. Capra Demon
    10. Bell Gargoyles
    11. Sanctuary Guardian
    12. Great Grey Wolf Sif
    13. Centipede Demon
    14. Nito
    15. Seath the Scaleless
    16. Gaping Dragon
    17. Moonlight Butterfly
    18. Taurus Demon
    19. Ceaseless Discharge
    20. Iron Golem
    21. Stray Demon
    22. Demon Firesage
    23. Dark Sun Gwyndolin
    24. Crossbreed Priscilla
    25. Pinwheel
    26. Asylum Demon
    submitted by /u/SheridanCainReddit
    [link] [comments]

    Region Matchmaking Explained

    Posted: 03 May 2021 08:20 PM PDT

    First time Souls Player here. Can somebody please explain to me how the "Region Matchmaking" option in the Network Settings menu works and the "Matchmaking Password" ??

    submitted by /u/Ombrology
    [link] [comments]

    I want to join all the covenants and I may have made a mistake

    Posted: 03 May 2021 10:30 PM PDT

    In my run I decided that I wanted to optimize by getting all the covenant related achievements in one go in which I obtain the Lordvessel, go to new londo ruins almost immediately to join the darkwraiths and set up that ending. However, I got distracted with the Chaos Servants questline in the in-between and now I'm at a difficult position. I've given the Fair Lady 30 humanity, gotten the chaos storm pyromancy, and just discovered the important short cut door is locked behind the Lordvessel seal. Meaning if I want to stick with the original intent of getting all the covenants and that ending then I have to go through New Londo Ruins and join the darkwraiths before I can get to the shortcut door I want.

    Here's the question: Can I join the darkwraiths then re-join the Chaos Servants and still be able to open the big door without having to cough up more humanities?

    Edit: In case it's relevant, I'm on the PS4 playing Dark Souls: Remastered.

    submitted by /u/BabaKazimir
    [link] [comments]

    I completed a NG+6 Genocide Run!

    Posted: 03 May 2021 03:27 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/y053uhS

    Man, this was surprisingly fun. I've been totally hooked on DS1 for the past 3 weeks, and I wanted to challenge myself to going all the way to NG+6, which became doing all bosses... which became doing an outright genocide run. I'm real proud of myself! Best of luck to any other undead bros attempting a similar high-cycle challenge! \[T]/

    submitted by /u/xFreddyFazbearx
    [link] [comments]

    Remind me the Catacombs/Rhea/Tomb of Giants timing and order of operations?

    Posted: 04 May 2021 01:20 AM PDT

    I'm in my NG+ and have rung the top bell and defeated the Moonlight Butterfly for good measure and Rhea is not around yet. I can't really remember how the timing works. The Catacombs is my favorite area and I'm sort of tempted to just go do it right now. I know people think it's such a pain without being able to warp, but what the heck! It's Dark Souls! I don't mind pain! But does it make sense to do it now?

    I remember seeing in this sub a theory about what the 'intended order' was, and how you're "supposed" to go down there before getting the Lordvessel. I think possibly the idea was that you go down early and get the Rite of Kindling, and that's why Rhea and company don't find it and press on into the Tomb of Giants, there to end up in deep trouble. That makes sense to me, but is there any prompt to suggest you go down there? I have a weird roleplaying desire to not do things unmotivated.

    I know I missed something my first time through because I never saw Patches in the Catacombs, only in the Tomb of Giants. Anyway, if people could break down for me when things happen and what triggers them and what my options are, I would be very grateful.

    submitted by /u/KimberStormer
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with pyromancy.

    Posted: 03 May 2021 09:33 PM PDT

    Hello, I am an idiot and I accidentally killed the Fair Lady and the other pyromancer dude went hollow before I could upgrade my pyromancy flame up to +10. From what I have searched it seems no one else can teach me or upgrade pyromancy so I was hoping someone could either invade or coop with a +10 pyromancy flame so that Quelana can spawn and I can do fire shit again. I play dark souls remastered on PC. Please I don't want to start over I am pretty far into the game and it is my first playthrough.

    submitted by /u/jbwonderboy
    [link] [comments]

    I beat the gaping dragon

    Posted: 03 May 2021 05:40 PM PDT

    So today I beat the Gaping Dragon. He was actually pretty easy. And solaire even died like not even a quarter of the way through fight.

    I beat him on my second try, pretty fun boss despite being really easy. I also got his tail weapon

    Anyways my plan for the rest of the knight is go back to the undead asylum, kill the stray demon, then come back, and head to blight town, if I have the time, I will attempt to fight Quelaag. I've heard she's pretty easy and the hit box for her sword is easily avoidable

    submitted by /u/--TreeTreeTree--
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment