• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 14, 2021

    Dark Souls Am I the only one who loved this game because it loosely had survival horror mechanics?

    Dark Souls Am I the only one who loved this game because it loosely had survival horror mechanics?


    Am I the only one who loved this game because it loosely had survival horror mechanics?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 06:59 PM PST

    I grew up playing the old Resident Evil titles on my PS1 and I Love games that limit your recourses and put a sense of subtle dread And progression VS risk. The first Dark Souls in particular does this very effectively and the more I play It the more it feels like a survival horror. there's much In common with OG Resident Evil because on your first playthrough you don't know What's Going To Happen And Your Barely Surviving these harsh environments full of tricks and hidden enemies. You get that sweet feeling of relief when finding A new Bonfire or a new Typewriter you get that Wondrous feeling Of Unlocking New Areas and The accomplishment of getting passed many odds on the last of your Supplies. You get Passed a bunch of assholes just to find out well shit these new assholes are even scarier and stronger than the last guys I just got passed. By the second playthrough the games difficultly Is almost trivialized because you know about that asshole that's hiding around that corner and you know about that flaming barrel that gets kicked down those Stairs. You end up getting passed areas you once found very tough almost unscathed and You feel your runs becoming much smoother every playthrough. Gosh I Love These Games

    submitted by /u/Derive97
    [link] [comments]

    How FromSoftware should’ve done NG+

    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 07:27 AM PST

    Soooo. The entire NG+ doesn't fit well lore-wise. Basically, you go back to the asylum and proceed to replace Gwyn just like in your first game.

    I couldn't help but think of a better way to setup NG+ and onwards.

    Your first character beats Gwyn and (assuming) that you link the first flame, your character offers himself to extend the Age of Fire.

    But what if in NG+ you go back to the asylum w/ everything and the game pushes you to link the first flame again.

    Then, instead of facing Gwyn, you face your own character as the LAST BOSS.

    How cool would that be? Then everytime you beat the game, the last boss in the next playthrough changes to the equip and stats you used to beat the last boss in the previous game.

    It also makes more sense lore-wise because of the cycle of sacrificing undead to extend the Age of Fire.

    What do you think? What if there was a mod like this?

    submitted by /u/SenseiRaf
    [link] [comments]

    Gwyn, Lord of Cinder, has fallen.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 12:26 AM PST

    It's taken months, hours of gameplay, and many breaks to cool down, but Gwyn has fallen. No game has had so strong an impact on me. As I knelt to link the fire, I felt accomplishment, I felt respect for the game, for the bosses, for the world.

    This isn't a game. It's a work of art.

    I immediately jumped into ng+, walking the asylum with a very different attitude towards what I found.

    Thank you, From Software

    submitted by /u/Affectionate_Ad7420
    [link] [comments]

    Do you recommend DS1 or DS3 to people who are looking to jump into the series, and why?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 01:31 AM PST

    I played the series in the order that they came out but when people ask me where they should start I always advise them to start with 3. My reasons for this are:

    • Better quality of life stuff in 3. Omnidirectional roll. Snappier combat. Higher equip percentage thresholds. etc.
    • Clearer critical path early on in 3. If you haven't internalised how the souls games want you to explore then I think there's a big risk of people dropping off after encountering skeletons in firelink. Or getting overwhelmed with the paths available to them after gargoyles.
    • Better graphics. I know this shouldn't matter but I think people are more likely to persist with a game that looks better.

    However, I also get the arguments for starting at the beginning, from both a lore and progression standpoint. So I'm interested to know what you guys say when this question comes up?

    I want to make clear these are both amazing games and I'm not raising these points against either of them. Just from the perspective of trying to get people into these games and hopefully to stick with them.

    I'm also open to suggestions of BB, DeS remake, and Sekiro. Or even DS2 if you're a madlad contrarian.

    submitted by /u/wobsolutely
    [link] [comments]

    Funny little invasion story

    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 07:11 PM PST

    Wandering around blighttown when I get invaded. I rush to the wide area behind the bonfire to wait for the invader. When he/she finally appears, all we did was just spam gestures and wiggle shields. At the end they also dropped a twin humanity for me, then went away. Weird but funny little invasion, thank you Valerie for the twin humanities and not attacking, since my bloodstain with 11 humanity and 15k souls was over by quelaag.

    submitted by /u/loox71
    [link] [comments]

    What a Beautiful game

    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 06:00 PM PST

    I was doing another playthrough of dark souls 1 and got to Sif easy enough fight and it doesn't really get me in the feels anymore.

    Until I went around the grave of artorius to pick up an item. The hornet ring and now that I knew the story of Artorius and Cirian from my last playthrough I was immediately hit by the feels again.

    That Cirian went to the grave of her beloved Artorius so she could rest with him. That one moment justified the time spent on the entire playthrough and just goes to show how special this game is.

    Dunno why I am posting but I just wanted to share. Have you guys had any moments like this in your journeys through Lordran?

    submitted by /u/RareCactus
    [link] [comments]

    I didn't want to take a break

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 12:49 AM PST

    but here I am. All because of the Sanctuary Guardian. Three days of getting whooped and I think at best I got its health down to half. I've tried different combinations of armor and nothing. I've broken my promise of watching videos to see how to defeat it and yet still here I am. Any tips? I am enjoying Control, but I do want to get back to finishing the game.

    submitted by /u/stinkyrobot
    [link] [comments]

    The dogs are one of the very few legitimately unfair things in the game, and it's kinda putting me off from the game.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 03:56 AM PST

    I need to vent a bit. Dark Souls is typically hard but fair with a few exceptions (based on both experience and from what I've heard the majority opinion on). Those ones are Capra Demon's stage, the fact that hitting a wall staggers you but the enemies can do it without being staggered, the Bed of Chaos, and the dogs.

    I made it past 4 bosses already, going on 5, and every enemy I've fought thus far has felt fair and meaningfully challenging. There are openings I can go for, I can parry, I can dodge, and so on. I can actually git gud to overcome them.

    Except these cunt dogs. They have iframes.

    Whose fucking idea was it to make a really fast enemy that can perform a lunge faster than it takes your character to swing their weapon, reposition to your blind spot before you can react, and worst of all, LITERALLY JUST IGNORE DAMAGE FOR A GOOD SECOND OR TWO? HOW IS THAT BALANCED OR SKILL-BASED IN THE SLIGHTEST? FUCK YOU, ONLY I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DO THAT.

    Every single time I get killed by an enemy, I get mad but then realize it was my fault that I lost to them. Then I retry and end up beating them with the knowledge of my mistake.

    These dogs though? No amount of getting gud is going to fix the iframes. I kinda just have to block, dodge, and hope I get lucky that they're not invulnerable by the time I choose to swing. The worst part is that they do not have a single animation tell or cue to tell you if they are invulnerable or not. Even the Dark Souls wiki mentions this. I've already had a dog that literally just stood still and let my sword phase through it without taking damage.

    For context, I am in The Depths right now and trying to walk back to the female merchant in Undead Burg (I got cursed by the Basilisks and need purging stones). I have to make it past the butcher room with the 3 dogs in it, and it's absolutely driving my nerves because the dogs phasing through my attacks is making it harder than it has any reason to be.

    Yes, I've tried blocking. That's how I easily killed the attack dogs in lower Undead Burg. The ones in the Butcher's room seem smarter than those (they seem to have pointier ears, is that relevant?). In addition to iframing through all my swings, they will actually back-hop and sidestep constantly. It feels like such an unnecessary way to make things difficult. I actually just ragequit now because of these stupid dogs not following the same rules that the rest of the enemies do.

    The speed and stagger they have is more than enough to give players an "overcome this obstacle by learning from mistakes" kind of challenge, but the random and unpredictable iframes are just bullshit.

    Every time I die to any other enemy, I just think "Ah shit, now I have to start over from the last bonfire", but I never blame anyone but myself. When I die after a dog just IGNORES my damage and kills me, the only words in my head are "Excuse me?? What the fuck was that?".

    Anyway, Happy Valentine's day.

    submitted by /u/Filegfaron
    [link] [comments]

    You hear other players ringing the first Bell of Awakening.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 03:07 AM PST

    Just noticed after playing online for the first time today, you can hear the bells ringing when someone else rings them in their world. Sorry if this is a common post, but I love these little details

    submitted by /u/AlphaLaufert99
    [link] [comments]

    Am i doomed to never meet Logan or Quelana?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 12:38 AM PST

    I accidentally totally skipped Logan in Sen's Fortress and he's not in Duke's Archives either. I don't think I have the stats for Quelana to even spawn? So yeah. Can i go get Logan at least or is he snake food

    submitted by /u/crawandpron
    [link] [comments]

    After hundreds of hours and at least 10 or 11 playthroughs, finally beat the four kings first try!

    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 03:53 PM PST

    Elated! I'm doing a low-level playthrough (SL11) and didn't really expect to get past them given how many times I've died to them in the past. But patience, lots of dodging, pyromancy, a chaos balder side sword and keeping the last king in between me and the next one that spawned actually paid off! I could hardly believe my luck.

    Thank you to Dark Souls for another amazing experience!

    submitted by /u/rm5
    [link] [comments]

    Lightning Spear is broken af.

    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 09:28 PM PST

    I'm on my 4th character. Faith build this time to complete all achievements.

    Pumped my faith to 30 asap, joined the Warriors of Sunlight, and Lightning Spear was insta-killing everything. lol

    Even bosses were too easy. I feel like I was in easy mode.

    I used to think pyromancy was OP but the damage, range, casts, and aoe capability of lightning spear are insane!!!

    I haven't even gotten Great Lightning Spear or Sunlight Spear yet wtf

    Btw, I'm finding it hard to pick between investing in str or dex. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/SenseiRaf
    [link] [comments]

    Catacombs without divine weapon

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 12:05 AM PST

    Fun story. Ds1 was one of the first few video games that I played. I remember barely knowing how to use the WSAD keys when I started.

    I remember running through catacombs without a divine weapon (becauseI didn't understand how different weapon types worked)

    I had a BK sword + 5 and a dream. A dream to finish the game.

    In hindsight, I should've spent more time learning how the game mechanics work (or play easier games). When my friends talk about the catacombs. I can't really recall much cuz all I did was run in circles (and I ran hard) till I find an exit. It's was still a fun memory

    submitted by /u/liyanariz
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls Merchandise

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 12:58 AM PST

    Is there a place I can get good quality merchandise for dark souls, specifically jewellery because whenever I look for some only Ali express shows up and I'm wondering if there is a more reliable place for dark souls merchandise? (If there is good quality dark souls jewellery on Ali express that you have purchased please also inform me on that.) -thanks

    submitted by /u/Hugo-Innit
    [link] [comments]

    Sif the WHAT?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 04:43 AM PST

    When I first started playing Dark Souls, my friend told me the community called Sif "Flippy Boi Sif"

    I misheard him thanks to internet being shit and proceeded to call him "Pissboy Sif" in an Xbox Live party later with all his friends in it.

    submitted by /u/PonkingtonHeights
    [link] [comments]

    Ds 2 blue smelter demon

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 02:16 AM PST

    How the hell do I dodge his attack when he slams his sword downwards in his 3rd phase (not the jump attack). I'm not able to dodge that attack and it feels like he just auto hits me.

    submitted by /u/FearRyze4
    [link] [comments]

    Painted World before O and S?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 02:05 AM PST

    I saw on a recent post about somebody having no Humanity that somebody suggested going into the painted world and forming there before going on to fight o and S. I'm considering doing that as well. I'm not really looking forward to that fight just at the moment, and I also have just 2 humanity. I tried other farming areas, and used the covetous serpent ring, but with an already low level of humanity, that didn't result in much. I know the painted world can be hard, and you're basically trapped there until you get to the end, so I was just curious what others thought about this strategy.

    submitted by /u/newcornjobhelper
    [link] [comments]

    The pain is unbearable

    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 04:21 PM PST

    So I'm not a dark souls noob, but I've never played the original. I decided to go ahead and buy the remaster on sale cause I wanted to try it. I breezed through the first couple of bosses no problem, then I hit the bell gargoyles. Those fuckers kept me stuck where I was for a good couple hours, so I decided the weapon I was using was a waste of titanite and restarted.

    After bashing and screaming my way through the first areas again, I reached the bell gargoyles with a +3 longsword and Solaire by my side. We then proceeded to beat the bloody hell out of these goddamn gargoyles, and after climbing that tower after the fight, I dropped my remote and rolled off. "No big deal I'll jus go grab my souls", is what I had said. Next thing ya know, I was stuck in a stairwell getting rammed by a big knight boy and some pussy hollow and I was dead again. Thus, 10k souls were eradicated from my world, which is the largest sum of souls I've held in this game, and I simply powered down my PlayStation and walked away.

    I'm sitting at my kitchen table questioning my lack of skill and trying to muster the energy to return and possibly restart a third time as I write this. I needed to rant to someone and couldn't figure out where to go so here we are, thanks for listening random redditors. Praise the sun!

    submitted by /u/bevernackdown6
    [link] [comments]

    Game idea

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 03:35 AM PST

    I've been thinking about a game idea and it's a Batman game but with dark souls like gameplay. A dark atmosphere in Gotham as usual, but none of the crazy tech like the games have, but more like if he was a guy in a suit beating bad guys up, it would have a way deeper combat system than mash one button and beat up nine guys and would be satisfying when you come out of battles with 2 or more guys. And the story wouldn't be as straight forward you would actually have to be the detective to find things out. And little things like baterangs and grappling would be good for unlocking levels, combat, and general use. What do you guys think? Is there anything else that would be good or is this already a thing?

    submitted by /u/Healthy-Cut-6253
    [link] [comments]

    Wow manus father of the abyss is a masterpiece

    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 07:06 AM PST

    This boss is the perfect combinaton of hard and completly fair, and that feeling of beating him after a long strugle is just exquisite

    submitted by /u/jojobizzsare
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck on Ornstein and Smough

    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 04:49 PM PST

    I have been trying to find this fight out for a couple days now, and I think I may have only triggered stage two 2 or 3 times. I'm SL60, Vit 20, End 20 Str 16 and dex 40 using a +10 uchigatana.

    I have watch multiple videos on "how to easily win". But it's doesn't help. Also I'm an fresh out of humanity...didn't have much to start with. I was very charitable and gave it all. If only I known what a pain this would be.

    My next step was to upgrade to a +15 uchigatana. Is it possible to complete that now before this fight?

    I am also playing on PS3

    submitted by /u/Nanuq23
    [link] [comments]

    Blighttown isn't that bad i think

    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 12:15 PM PST

    Just entered, doesn't look that bad. And there also some T H I C C ass people there

    submitted by /u/zohariko75
    [link] [comments]

    Praise the Sun. After 2 years of owning the remaster I finally beat my first playthrough and dlc. What an amazing game.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 02:53 AM PST

    Never was able to play and beat any soulsborne game for the longest time. Until Bloodborne came along on ps plus I beat it and remembered it took me about a year and that was almost two years ago. I loved it so much I was determined to try and beat the other games in the soulsborne series. The next option and what most people I've heard considered to be the best was Dark Souls. After two years of being stuck on the bell gargoyles I gave it another go two weeks ago and slowly grinded away and just beat Manus and Lord Gwynn tonight. What an absolute gem of a game. Thank you to all those who posted telling people like me to persevere it worked. With that said should I jump straight into Dark Souls 3 or Dark Souls 2 next?

    submitted by /u/icanruinamoment
    [link] [comments]

    What Weapons Other Than The Broadsword Should I Use?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 11:33 PM PST

    Earlier this year I beat Dark Souls it was amazing. Now I want to do a NG+ run. I also want to try some new weapons. For my whole run of Dark Souls I just used the Broadsword I got at the start because I never had enough resources to invest in something else. So what other weapons are in this game. I'd like to try some.

    submitted by /u/Maccamoo03
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment