• Breaking News

    Monday, February 8, 2021

    Dark Souls 2 After years of playing dark souls I have finally beaten dark souls 2 without dying

    Dark Souls 2 After years of playing dark souls I have finally beaten dark souls 2 without dying


    After years of playing dark souls I have finally beaten dark souls 2 without dying

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 01:43 AM PST

    Dark souls 2 is my favorite videogame of all time and I'm super hyped to finally achieve this after months of on and off trying to beat it without dying. I did it with rapier and tons of vigor because I'm bad. Just wanted to share this somewhere!

    submitted by /u/CoinTotemGolem
    [link] [comments]

    I was watching DS3 gameplay after playing DS2... and man, there is too much rolling in DS3.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 07:04 PM PST

    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE DS3. But watching an iron-clad knight roll around so spasmatically is really odd sometimes. Light-rolling in DS1 can sometimes get into this "too much" territory.

    The two Soulsborne games that got the rolls right (IMO of course) are DS2 and Bloodborne. The dash animation of Bloodborne just looks so much better. And the slower, methodical combat of DS2 punishes you for rolling more than you need to. Plus, I like how natural the rolling looks.

    Just some DS2/Bloodborne appreciation.

    submitted by /u/PompousGoblin
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls 2 is a bad game...

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 09:46 AM PST

    ... according to a lot of people on the internet, at any rate, so I made a video examining some of the reasons why it's supposedly so terrible which you can check out here if you so wish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJy4r0EZp-Q

    BRB, gotta go visit the frigid outskirts and reassess my whole existence

    submitted by /u/dedWest
    [link] [comments]

    Snow storms

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 10:20 AM PST

    Walking through these snow storms happening on our planet, some now hard-wired part of me keeps an anxious look-out for aggressive, magic-wielding reindeer!

    submitted by /u/Poecilia_reticulata
    [link] [comments]

    Slowly going insane in Shrine of Amana

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 04:49 PM PST

    I feel like I'm missing a gimmick or a summon or something because I cruised through the previous few bosses: 2-3 tries on old iron king and frieja, 2 tried dragon riders, 1 tried looking glass. In general I'd say I'm fairly competent at Dark Souls but the shrine of Amana and the demon of song feel like I've got to be missing some vital detail or gimmick because the run up to DoS is so rough and it's nearly impossible to get the AI summon from the shack all the way to the demon even if I clear the way for her. And even if I can get to the boss I've usually had to burn so much estus and healing items I feel like I'm boned from the get go. Am I missing something or is this just a difficultly spike?

    submitted by /u/Revolver_Joshalot
    [link] [comments]

    Why magic is best in Dark Souls 2 (and how it could improve)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 12:59 AM PST

    I've often heard people make the claim that magic is at it's best in Dark Souls 2, and worst in 3. I agree with this mainly, but I've rarely seen anyone come up with evidence. Most often I hear people say something like "spells had no tracking in 1, no variety in DeS, and they need mana in 3". I am going to attempt to analyse the differences between the spells in the game, and how they could possibly be improved from Dark Souls 2.

    First let's start with the most frustrating thing about spells in all Souls games - being dodged in PvP. Due to ADP existing and higher stamina cost of rolls, this is less OP in DS2. In 1, if you had a full stamina build in PvP, your opponent would have a tough time getting their spells to land, even if the damage was ridiculous. By a tough time, I mean in the scenario of a skilled magic user vs a skilled melee user with a lot of stamina and the Chloranthy ring, the melee user should win at least 9/10 times. In 3 this is amplified to a ridiculous level to the point that casters only pose any sort of threat in PvP when there are multiple of them or there is a melee and sorcerer to take out. DS2 still doesn't score perfectly on this - while Pyro, Hex and Miracles are fine for PvP, Sorcery lacks roll-catching, aoe and self-buff spells that make it difficult to make work in PvP.

    Variety

    Still, many people don't play PvP. And I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that magic in DS3 feels wrong. Not awful, mind you, once you get all the sorcery buffing rings, good attunement and Crystal Soul Spear, you can be quite overpowered (although you'll still struggle with dogs and other enemies that dodge easily). Is it because DS3 has mana rather than a casts system? I think that indirectly contributes to it, which I'll get onto later. However, I don't think that's the main problem. I think the main problem is lack of variety.

    In DS2, some of the variety that was there in the beginning of the game is gone. Many spells were nerfed into the ground, and are non-viable. Sorcery and hex got hit particularly hard in this regard, to the point that Sorcery gets close to just being soul spear spam, being saved by soul greatsword, great heavy soul arrow and crystal homing soul mass being equally viable. Hex can't just be dark orb spam as farming copies of it is impossible - you get 3 per NG cycle. Scraps of Life should probably be your other commonly used spell, and they are different enough to add variety.

    Contrast this to Dark Souls 3, where you basically are best off taking the highest damaging basic sorcery you have yet (crystal soul spear by the end-game) and a less-damaging, faster cast one. Nothing else really matters, except maybe soul greatsword or farron flashsword for multiple enemies at close range. This leads to (imo) unfun gameplay for sorcerers. Hexes are removed, and tho there are dark sorceries/miracles/pyromancies which are cool, it's not a build type. I'll admit I haven't tried pyromancy yet, but I assume it'll be similar.

    Miracles imo tho non-viable as a main in DS2 are meh in both games due to having a great variety of self-buff spells, but most of them are situational and it severely lacks variety in offensive spells. Here are some ideas I had that I think would make them more interesting:

    - Lightning Halberd (like Soul Greatsword but it's a Lightning Halberd)

    - Dispelling Shout (emits an aoe like Force that removes ALL buffs from the player and enemies, whether positive or negative, so anything from poison to magic barrier)

    - Holy Water (shoots a stream of water that wets enemies and makes them vulnerable to lightning damage)

    I came up with those spell ideas in like 5 minutes so I'm sure From could have put more effort into Miracles. That said, it's easy to know what needs to be done after release, and you can't criticize them too much for it as they had to decide on balance before the game had existed for 6 years and received a sequel.

    Still, variety of viable spells is one aspect where no Souls game has done particularly well, with DS2 only being the least bad. A patch/mod that rebalances spells would be great if it wasn't for the fact that it'd probably get you banned.

    Spell casts vs Mana/FP

    However, this isn't the only issue. The other issue with magic in DS3, and something DS2 got right, is to do with spell casts. I think this is the reason they changed the system in 1, although magic there is somewhat OP so spell casts don't matter too much. In 2, I often found myself waiting at a bonfire while I optimised my loadout. Will just attuning Soul Spears give me enough casts to get to the bonfire? It was a risk I had to take. And, upon running out of Soul Spears before the next bonfire, I'd have to use a consumable to refill it. These consumables are just rare enough that you can't rely on them, but just common enough that they can get you out of scrapes like this (at least for me they were, idk about everyone else).

    But you can run out of Mana in 3, right? Yep. And, imo, this is the problem with 3 - running out of Mana doesn't feel like you messed up, it feels like "Damn, I'm going to have to sacrifice another Estus charge for my mana bar, aren't I?". This matters as you feel like it's the game's fault as it's not because of your decisions at the bonfire, it's down to a few decisions over a long time that's harder to pin down. Could you get by if you used Soul Arrows rather than Soul Spears to kill that Basilisk? Who's to say. You don't have enough mana for that stretch, and the best option is to warp to firelink, re-allot your estus, and pray you don't run out of healing this time. Sure, there's "hidden blessings" but they're so rare they don't feel worth using unless you really don't want to do a stretch again.

    Visuals

    Another thing that you certainly shouldn't ignore is the cast animations. DS2 is the only Souls game with satisfying cast animations. Sure the magic looks better in DSR and 3, but where's that putting effort into each cast? You just wave a stick in the air, the tip glows, and out shoots a light or dark blue missile that'll probably miss the target due to low tracking. Point is, magic feels like it has weight in 2. Soul Spears feel like they'll hit like a truck, down to the visual design being clearer (even if it's lower-quality) and the step forwards as you cast + the waving of the staff/ringing of the chime that feel absent in the rest of the series.

    To give a good comparison, compare 2's Rapier backstab animation with 3's. Dark Souls 3 nails this, the backstab feels like you're sticking something into an enemy with weight, and actual body mass, and you struggle to pull it out slightly. In 2, backstab animations were heavily criticized, and this is the clearest example - it feels like a sword model stuck in an empty shell with a texture, not a sword stuck in an enemy. The magic is the opposite; the effects are poorly done in 3 for the most part. The only exception being the ability to combo with farron flashsword, that's cool.

    Altogether, this is why I think magic is commonly described as being at it's best in Dark Souls 2, although I still feel like there are many spells and catalysts that would be great with a little tweaking. These being:

    (Sorceries)

    Soul Spear Barrage

    Soul Shower

    Soul Vortex

    Soul Geyser

    Focus Souls

    Soul Flash

    (Pyromancies)

    Immolation

    (Miracles)

    Emit Force

    Unveil

    Splintering Lightning Spear

    (Hexes)

    Dark Hail

    Dead Again

    (Great) Resonant Soul

    Resonant Flesh

    Resonant Weapon

    Recollection

    Dark Dance

    (Catalysts)

    Sorcerer's Twinblade

    Azal's Staff

    Staff of Amana

    Retainer's Staff

    Edit: I think it's worth noting that one particular DLC seems to have only useless magic - the Ivory King DLC. Dark Dance, Splintering Lightning Spear and Soul Flash are all but useless, and it includes 3 of the 4 catalysts I said would be great with tweaks. I guess the designers of that DLC (or likely, the DLCs in general) really didn't playtest magic huh?

    submitted by /u/SmuJamesB
    [link] [comments]

    are pharros stones limited or can they be farmed?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 09:14 AM PST

    I went to the tomb of the saints and saw that there are many pharros devices and I tried to activate a useless one, thus wasting a stone. if pharros stones are limited can you tell me where should i use them?

    submitted by /u/Simple_Human_Soul
    [link] [comments]

    Best early game great sword?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 07:33 AM PST

    Planning on restarting and basing my character off of someone from a book with a black greatsword. I was wondering what the quickest viable greatsword is Edit: If anyone wants to check out the book I'm basing my character off of, it's called Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

    submitted by /u/lanterns17
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally used 4 of my 5 giant souls

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 05:36 AM PST

    Yeah, I accidentally used 4 of my giant souls without knowing their purpose, why I only used 4 and not 5? Because I thought Ornifex would sell me a boss weapon. So I didn't know that it's purpose was to lower the defense on King Vendrick. Do you guys know a way to farm giant souls, I used a bonfire ascetic on the black gulch and Forrest of the fallen giants but I didn't get the giant souls, is there a way to farm back the giant souls?

    submitted by /u/Orionsquackarf
    [link] [comments]

    Platinum trophy

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 12:22 PM PST

    I'm currently going for Dark souls 2 sotfs platinum (ps4) trophy and have few questions regarding spells trophy. I need all spell trophies (sorcery, pyromancy, miracle and hex). I was googling for answers but came across few different answers and would like clarification.

    1. I read that you only need sunlight and bell covenant rank 3, rest can be bought in ng++. Is this true? Does that mean you only need to farm for 2 spells and you can buy rest of them?

    2. Some people say to farm falcon enemies for sunlight medals In NG+. Why not farm them in NG?

    Thank.

    submitted by /u/HorrorPositive
    [link] [comments]

    Could anyone tell me where the keys to the dlc are? (Sotfs)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 11:04 AM PST

    I know I need certain items to get into the dlc, but I have no idea where they are. Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/BigCookieLover
    [link] [comments]

    Ds2 remake ?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 12:21 PM PST

    I have a question for you. if they did a remake of ds2 where hidetaka is at the head of the project you would prefer it to be almost distorted as if it were redone. or would you prefer it to be like the remake of demon where it's practically the same game but with better graphics and slightly less woody movements?

    submitted by /u/Alex_il_tizio
    [link] [comments]

    It feels like ultra great swords are outclassed in this game.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 09:40 AM PST

    My favorite kind of weapon in soulsborne has always been the ultra great sword. My ds1 play through was with zweihander, ds3 Black Knight ultra greatsword. But in ds2 they feel to slow and weak to be worth the risk. Don't get me wrong I love using the fume great sword but it's not as good as many other weapons.

    Does anybody else feel the same?

    submitted by /u/Copper_Camo
    [link] [comments]

    Rapier

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 05:46 AM PST

    Why is the rapier so OP? I killed like 2 bosses and have a +10 rapier with weapon buff and melt every boss in the game. Why did they make this weapons DPS so high i don't get it?

    submitted by /u/Ps4-arrington1977
    [link] [comments]

    What Dex PVE weapon should I use?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 04:13 AM PST

    Currently using Heide Spear and having great succes with it. But I love trying out different weapons, can anyone recommend me even/better Dex weapons? These are my stats:

    https://gyazo.com/8526163c3adc7f1f5c12b15354b4f170

    Oh and I am also using Alva Armor +7 because I love how light it is, any other sets I should try out?

    Is it worth to reset my skill points and go faith if I want to use Heide spear? Or am i too late for that?

    Sorry for the many questions, I love theorycrafting in this game. Thanks for the help everybody!!

    submitted by /u/DanceAlgorhythms
    [link] [comments]

    Your hardest Bosses.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 11:00 PM PST

    There is no such thing as Top Hardest, because you may have defeated one boss considered hard in one try, or you may have found a safe way to battle it.

    So, what are the bosses that YOU struggled with?

    submitted by /u/Rafa_Rato
    [link] [comments]

    Sooooo. New character, who going to kill all bosses w me? ��������

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 01:47 PM PST

    Need help, PS4

    submitted by /u/Background-Stop9645
    [link] [comments]

    Most Ascetics You've Used to Get Heide Greatlance?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 01:28 PM PST

    I'm at 10 and counting, have a stockpile of Heide armor and no lance yet. I'm wearing 0 item find gear. This is my first run where it didn't drop on the first NG+ attempt, so maybe I'm just due for terrible RNG?

    I've got 14 ascetics left, at some point I'll give up.

    submitted by /u/souls37
    [link] [comments]

    Driven away

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 12:30 PM PST

    Does "Driven away from the world you invaded" basically means that host just dropped connection for like a second/Alt+F4?

    submitted by /u/bersekles
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for no death no bonfire run.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 12:27 PM PST

    I wanted to try it for a long time but i dont know how to start. I kindly ask for tips

    submitted by /u/blackside99
    [link] [comments]

    Just finalized my mage - it's awesome

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 12:12 PM PST

    Got my Magic Whichtree +10, Dark Sunset +5 and Pyro +10, Magic Rapier +10, Lion set and Hexer Hood, And MAN my spells hurt.

    Maybe I'll be able to beat the ancient dragon for once...

    submitted by /u/Jackop195
    [link] [comments]

    Weird bug : everything flat and green

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 12:04 PM PST

    I encountered a weird bug right after I killed the stone ennemy before the last bonfire of Shrine of Amana, everything became kinda green and both my character and the ennemies became flat

    The ennemies reverted back to normal when killed and even the elevator became weird. Right after I activated it, my character fell through it and died

    Link to the screens : https://imgur.com/a/6h2rV05

    submitted by /u/Able_Reserve5788
    [link] [comments]

    Are PS4 controllers compatible with all 3 games on PC? If so, is there a procedure necessary to make them work?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 04:26 AM PST

    I'm thinking of buying a controller because the games feel way better with them than MNK, but they are pretty expensive. I dont want to buy one and then not be able to make it work.

    Are PS4 or xBox controllers more suitable? I am talking about the whole trilogy but I though I'd post it here since I have been here longer.

    I have tried a cheap off-brand and the buttons started showing issues very early.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/survivetosee
    [link] [comments]

    Best SM for dlc coop?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 09:25 AM PST

    Sitting at 2.1 mil with agape, wondering if I should go higher.

    submitted by /u/WalrusVampire
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment