• Breaking News

    Friday, January 29, 2021

    Dark Souls 2 Weekly General Discussion Thread (January 29, 2021)

    Dark Souls 2 Weekly General Discussion Thread (January 29, 2021)


    Weekly General Discussion Thread (January 29, 2021)

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 09:00 AM PST

    Welcome to the weekly general discussion thread! This thread is for the community to discuss whatever is on their mind (whether it is Dark Souls 2 related or not).

    Have a question that you've been meaning to ask but haven't gotten around to making a post yet? Something on your mind you want to discuss? Playing a game that you think others would like? Comment away! All we ask is that you are respectful of each other, and have fun!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Lore behind the Invisible Hollows

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 04:29 AM PST

    There's nothing in game directly related to or referring to invisible hollows and the wiki pages are pretty sparse of information related to the lore behind invisible hollows.

    Here's what we know: there are at least 33 of them; they drop either a Smooth & Silky Stone, a Petrified Something, a Wilted Dusk Herb, or a Twilight Herb; and they appear in specific places throughout the game (non-respawning); they are invisible exept for their shadow; they appear to be sitting down, often next to unlit unsconces, almost always on their own; they have 1 HP.

    Here are a few of my hot takes on what invisible hollows might be:

    Theory 1: Super-Hollow

    Invisible hollows are simply the next stage of hollowing. After hollows have been alive a long time, they slump into a corner, sit still, and their body withers away until they are a mere shadow of themself.

    The evidence for this is that invisible hollows are found disproportionately in areas where the oldest hollows are likely to be. Hollows are found in the Undead Crypt, the Gutter, or Lost Bastille, and are often found in cells (as in Sinner Rise). These are all places where the very most deranged of undead would likely end up or be sent. This doesn't explain why there are often invisible hollows in other places, but in those other places, invisible hollows are often sitting in a corner, out of the way, far from other characters. It being the next stage in human-hollow evolution would also explain why the first Dark Souls game doesn't have any invisible hollows.

    Theory 2: The Player is Hollow

    Dark Souls 2, way more than the first game, is about people, including the player character, losing their minds. Not just in the sense of people going hollow, but even non-hollow characters experience memory loss and confusion:

    • "I don't know, I just sort of ended up here" - said by... pretty much everyone.
    • Lucatiels entire questline is essentially an exploration of her slow dementia.
    • The opening cinamatic pretty clearly establishes the player character has been alive for a long ass time and has suffered for it, as we see their family melt away. We also see them travelling a fair bit and jumping into a swirling vertex for reasons unknown. As soon as the game starts, old ladies bully the PC for not knowing who they are.

    No one else, apart from the player character, knows about invisible hollows.* It's possible therefore the player character themself is hallucinating that the hollows are invisible. The lack of evidence or descriptions about invisible hollows in-game would therefore be evidence of invisible hollows not truly existing.

    Thus, invisible hollows are just regular hollows, made invisible by our own mind.

    (*Actually, you could maybe say this Gyrm knows that there is an invisible hollow sitting at their fire, but that's up to interpretation).

    Theory 3: Experiments Gone Wrong

    Drangleic is full of experimental mutant creatures: the lionmen, the manscorpions, the spider, etc, etc, likely originating from Aldia's zoo-like Keep (see this). It's possible therefore that the Invisible Hollows are the result of some hideous experiment gone wrong.

    It's notable that Dark Souls 2 does not contain the Hidden Body spell from the previous game. This was likely a delibrate choice by the developers, since it doesn't appear as cut content and the developers did choose to include the similar Chameleon and Hidden Weapon spells.

    We know Aldia experimented on humans and experimented with corporeality, as we know the Forlorn were the result of such experiments. Therefore, invisible hollows are the failed result of Aldia's experimentation with the lost art of Hidden Body.

    This doesn't explain why the hollows are where they are, however, and you'd expect to see much more than two in Aldia's Keep, but this is probably the theory most strongly supported by the game.

    Theory 4: There is no theory

    Sadly the most likely theory is that there is not a dev-intended lore reason behind invisible hollows. Invisible Hollows are simply a gamey thing for easter egg hunters. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    submitted by /u/PrimeMinisterEdBalls
    [link] [comments]

    Is the online dead?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 10:28 AM PST

    I've been playing Dark Souls 2 SOTFS on PS4 for a while now and I have seen maybe 2 summon signs for my whole time playing. Is the online community dead?

    submitted by /u/cat_on_crack_
    [link] [comments]

    Cheater in the BoB arena, called "random tier"

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 02:02 AM PST

    Watch out for this dude - he broke all my gear in one hit and corrupted my entire save file. I back my saves up however, after hearing about "Hitler", so nothing was lost thankfully. He TPed to me, broke all my gear, but there was just a broken symbol over nothing. The save data refused to load after that until I re-loaded my backup. If you meet this guy, black crystal out immediately unless you have save backups. He also appears to have other cheats (I matched several times with him before he tried this last one) such as being able to have an active block, parry and attack all at the same time on his Fume UGS, and being able to attack with both hands at the same time (not proper power-stance, it happened with an UGS and rapier at the same time, so maybe it's an invalid power-stance?)

    Edit: just matched with him again. Here's the proof.

    submitted by /u/SmuJamesB
    [link] [comments]

    The Mastodon Halberd is SEXY

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 08:24 AM PST

    I never really appreciated this weapon when it was in the hands of the Mastodons in Doors of the Pharros. I recently was hunting the web for a new weapon to use for my Faith/Strength build and saw the Mastodon Halberd lightning infused suggested. So I did it.

    This thing looks amazing and I love the move set. It seems very versatile to me. Whether I'm spinning to with with it 2H, overhead chopping like I need firewood 1H, or poking from behind my shield like a wimp. This thing is rad.

    submitted by /u/GucciSalad
    [link] [comments]

    Started NG+ for the first time...

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 07:26 AM PST

    My first playthrough of DS2 was in 2016, I wanted to get it under my belt before DS3 came out, as I had played 1 thoroughly and loved it.

    I buzzed through it fast and, although enjoyed it, wasn't captivated like I was with one. I never even beat the DLCs.

    So I decided to go back and replay it and take my time. I made a new character and completed just about everything I could in NG (all optional bosses, NPC quest lines, got all the cool items I wanted). Then, I finally decided to start NG+ once I was fully satisfied I'd done all I wanted to in NG.

    Right off the bat, in Things Betwixt I was caught off guard. I saw the falconer standing right infront of the spawn in and thought "that's neat a neat new placement". I charged at him only to have three others flank me from the sides WOTH EAGLE PETS FLYING AT ME. I couldn't believe they were actually different that the Falconers I was used to. They got me to half health, but I defeated them and loved on. Just when I thought I was safe TWO RED PHANTOMS INVADED.

    Long story short I had no idea NG+ changed things like this and I can't wait to play through DS2 again.

    I played DS3 into the ground. I really loved it, but DS2 has since taken its place as my second favorite Dark Souls.

    submitted by /u/GucciSalad
    [link] [comments]

    Quick question

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:57 PM PST

    Does anyone know if i will summon Lucatiel/Benhart and me or them will die in the fight if i'll be able to summon them again to the same boss fight so i can get the achievement or do i have to play ng+? (Just finished ng, going for all achievements and skipped these 2 so Idk)

    submitted by /u/Kubajs783
    [link] [comments]

    This game is actually pretty amazing

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 07:12 PM PST

    Everyone told me to not play ds2 because it was terrible and I believed them but, this game is stunning. I'm really glad I'm playing it and didn't listen to the loud majority of people who hate on this game.

    submitted by /u/SomeRandomRedditMan
    [link] [comments]

    I just beat dark souls 2 with all his achievements.

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:52 AM PST

    Yeah, I'm so proud of myself, it took me a while to reach ng++ and farm some sun medals, especially when that red phantom killed me repeatedly at Drangleic's Castle 's doors... But I collected the platinum trophy with my first ever character, and it took me only 3 months from the moment I bought the sotfs, my first souls-game. I really liked this masterpiece, despite the memes and the bad reputation compared to the other games.

    submitted by /u/OneZoro
    [link] [comments]

    Using randomizer to swap all enemies in game to Fume Knights?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:06 PM PST

    Greetings, fellow hollows. I tried to do some research on the matter, but it proved to be ambiguous (or I don't know where to look), so I want to try my luck asking you:

    Is it possible to replace every enemy in the game with a certain one using randomizer?

    To be more specific, I want to start game with a new character and replace everyone except friendly NPCs with Fume Knights and beat all game and DLCs. They should preferably all drop his 84K souls so that the early stages of the game won't become too challenging.

    Thx in advance.

    submitted by /u/Metaphrastes
    [link] [comments]

    Good reliable weapons

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:55 PM PST

    Big question for y'all. Do you guys/gals/whatever have a weapon that you always keep at your side? No matter what kind of build you have, you're inclined to use it. You picked it up and tested it, swung it around a little, and thought that it would be fun to use. Mine's is the Craftman's Hammer, hasn't let me down once

    submitted by /u/theargonianbutler15
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Sir Alonne NG+

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 07:34 AM PST

    Anyone free to co-op on Sir Alonne rn? Getting my ass kicked

    submitted by /u/Hipster_Avocado
    [link] [comments]

    I made a faraam knight

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 04:10 PM PST

    Hey guys, I'm a DS2 noob and I can't get past the Smelter Demon. I'd really need a Gyrm greatshield because it has both physical and fire 100% defense. Anyone? Please xD

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 08:52 AM PST

    Ds2 build help

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 08:44 AM PST

    I would like to start a run with a str build that steps do you recommend me to do? (not my first run)

    submitted by /u/Tenchu_05
    [link] [comments]

    I can’t find a way to progress

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 04:12 AM PST

    I have recently got into a position where I've killed all possible bosses before Drangleic castle and yet I still can't open the door that says 'seek mightier souls'. I have researched and you apparently need 1 million soul history but how am I supposed to get that if I don't have any more bosses to kill?

    submitted by /u/Mxsterz
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to give DS2 another chance

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 06:49 AM PST

    Quick question for the sub. I played DS2 back when it first came out and didn't really love it. Since then I considered it the black sheep of the Souls family. However, I've really wanted to give it another go around lately. Does anyone know if SOTFS ever goes on sale in the PS store? It's currently sitting 40 dollars but I was hoping to grab it for less.

    submitted by /u/zztraderzz
    [link] [comments]

    Can we just agree that darklurker is the best boss in the game

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 06:22 AM PST

    Like cmon, this boss is amazing in every way possible, first he is really cool and quite challenging, yes I know he's so easy for mages but for melee builds oh boi will he be hard but not unfair (except for the bulshit lazer hitbox ), second, the fucking music is amazing, it's right up there in the top when it comes to my list, and it is possible that his theme is the best in the game in my opinion, the music is exciting and a bit scary at the same time, it gives the boss such a good vibe and like other souls bosses, the boss is nothing without his music, lastly when it comes to the lore he lurks in the dark ? I donno, I'm not that good when it comes to lore, I just know that his a fragment of manus just like nashandra and some other creepy lads and lasses, so if you have any knowledge about his lore please let me know :)

    submitted by /u/Call_Me_Malik_25
    [link] [comments]

    Finished Dark Souls 2 For The First Time.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 09:17 PM PST

    I've been holding off for forever to play DS2 because everyone and their mother seems to think its the broken child of the trilogy, and honestly it's not as bad as people think. It might not be the hardest it might have many questionable areas but I had fun overall, plus I heard the dlc is even better. Thank you for listening to my ted talk.

    submitted by /u/Okkerneut
    [link] [comments]

    Weird issue with Strowen

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:27 AM PST

    Strowen refuses to give me the 6 effigies she normally gives after obtaining King's Ring. She talks to me, but just tells me to 'go along now', so I'm pretty sure I haven't angered them (ie they aren't aggro'd). She won't let me reallocate either, but I'm pretty sure that's just because I'm SL1. Does SL1 prevent me from getting her effigies? If so, it's whatever I guess, I'll just kill her for the 6 she drops, but I'm running low working towards darklurker and I could really use the extra 6 if possible. Thanks guys

    submitted by /u/arisasam
    [link] [comments]

    Just beat the game no death no bonfire on ng!

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 04:46 PM PST

    Got both illusory rings in one run! Took about 6 hours all in all. Took me FOREVER to do this lol. Lots of early deaths mainly, farthest I ever died was the dragon shrine. Feeling pretty good now. I have a picture with proof but since pictures aren't allowed here I guess just take my word for it

    submitted by /u/Cytonox
    [link] [comments]

    How to get easy souls early

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:01 AM PST

    How is the xbox one population?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 03:09 AM PST

    Started a new game play through in December.

    I was very upset that I no one summoned me into a fight club on the bridge :(

    Also very few white sign summons as well :(

    So how about ng+?

    submitted by /u/mister_boi98
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment