• Breaking News

    Wednesday, December 23, 2020

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Help a hollow.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Help a hollow.


    /r/DarkSouls - Help a hollow.

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 10:07 PM PST

    Welcome to our Wednesday thru Thursday sticky thread "Help A Hollow."

    Do you need the game mechanics explained a bit? Don't understand scaling, infusion, or magic? Just can't take on O&S solo?

    If you have a question or need a hand then skip /new for the day and get the help you need. Leave a comment below and someone will help you shortly. Or sort comments by new and be a helpful hollow. Remember to check out /r/DarkSouls/wiki and contribute!


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I just got platinum on dark souls remastered

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 03:27 PM PST

    It was a great game, i really enjoyed it. It has something for everybody, 0/5.

    submitted by /u/xoromarto123
    [link] [comments]

    I made an hour long video "screen-saver" of Sen's Fortress. 60 tranquil scenes of Sen's Fortress in 4k. Enjoy the sights, the sounds, and the smells (smells not guaranteed)!

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 08:39 AM PST

    I'm a music journalist and Dark Souls are my favorite games! When I found out that one of my favorite rappers, Open Mike Eagle, was similarly inspired by the games, I wrote this feature story about how he was inspired to use the world building in his music and how the game inspires tenacity in life.

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 09:59 AM PST

    Dark Souls taught me a lot about dealing with depression as a kid. In the game, as long as you keep picking up the controller after every defeat, none of the failures matter. Only that one time you claim victory. I brought this mindset into much of my life, constantly staying focused on whatever objective I was reaching for.

    When I read an offshoot comment from Open Mike Eagle saying that his 2017 album, Brick Body Kids Still Daydream was inspired by the word building of Dark Souls, I excitedly began to draw the lines and hit him up for an interview. I wanted to talk to him about the inspiration he drew from the games and the life lessons that I had pulled from them. Tenacity in the face of defeat has been a ongoing battle for Open Mike in 2020. Alongside the pandemic pressures we've all been experiencing, Open Mike's year has seen him going through a divorce and facing the cancelation of his Comedy Central Show, The New Negros. He explored these difficulties on his latest album, Anime, Trauma and Divorce but I noticed that he did it in a different method than he has previously in his music.

    Read my feature story to learn how Open Mike Eagle was inspired by Dark Souls and how just like in the games, sometimes shedding your armor gives you the agility you need to maneuver difficult trials. There's so much more that I could discuss with this story, Open Mike and Dark Souls. Ask me anything!

    How RPG Games Inspires Open Mike Eagle & His Music

    submitted by /u/HooplaHill
    [link] [comments]

    Red Crab Demon Thing

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 08:45 PM PST

    Hi all

    I just picked up the Remaster and III so I'm finally playing the Souls series for the very first time. I just got to the Taurus Demon, less than two hours in, and I had a really weird experience. On my third try, I went up to kill the two crossbowmen and there was some weird crab-looking red thing on the other side of the platform. As soon as I got up there this thing shot like 10 beams of light and me and I instantly died (lost like 2000 souls because I was going to kill the other guys before going to recover them).

    In subsequent tries this thing is no longer there- what the hell happened? I know it's typical of the Souls series to throw really difficult enemies at you, but this seems like it was just random.

    submitted by /u/Templar26
    [link] [comments]

    Don’t be afraid to take on a boss your own way!

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 12:01 PM PST

    Just because a guide or vid shows the best way to take down a boss it is not the only way.

    I was taking on Kalameet and trying to use a shield and one hand sword to try and tank through his attacks with the shield and was having no luck. I decided to yolo it and unequipped the shield totally so it wasn't an option and went back to two handing my zwei. Two tries later of just dodge rolling through the attacks then punishing and running sideways from the flame and he was dead dragon meat.

    Make this game and experience your own! You know how you play and a guide may help you but if you think something else will work give it a go.

    submitted by /u/Ravenger36
    [link] [comments]

    Thank you for playing!

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 06:03 PM PST

    Playing through on my switch right now and I'm happy to see all of the summon signs around! Found a lot near the bell gargoyles and even in the depths! Just wanted to say thank you all for playing let's keep up the jolly cooperation this holiday season (I know I'll be playing a lot)!

    submitted by /u/powerstrip69
    [link] [comments]

    What a fitting way to celebrate my cakeday other than to complete DS1 today :)

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 02:31 PM PST

    Don't go hollow, and enjoy the holidays too

    submitted by /u/PyroShotGaming
    [link] [comments]

    My first play-through debrief [spoiler]

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 08:42 PM PST

    The following is my debrief for my very first play-through of Dark Souls, also my first soulsborne game.

    Overall thoughts: Dark Souls got me hooked immediately, I wanted to learn everything about this world, which pushed me through some of the tougher moments. In the end, however, I didn't get many answers, which maybe is the whole point - we trudge forward, doing what we feel we must, fulfilling our commitments and duties, until we can't anymore. In the end, we still wonder if we did the right things, if there wasn't more we could do, if I am satisfied with my own answers. Then finally in the infinite loop, where does perseverance meet futility?

    Zone(rating, #deaths) | Boss(rating, #deaths):
    •Undead Asylum**** 2 | Asylum Demon*** 2
    | Stray Demon*** 1
    •Undead Burg**** 4 | Tauros Demon*** 3
    •Undead Parish*** 3 | Bell Gargoyles*** 7
    •Darkroot Garden*** 4 | Moon Butterfly* 0
    | Sif**** 6
    •Darkroot Basin** 2 | Hydra**** 4
    •Valley of the Drakes** 3
    •Lower Undead Burg** 3 | Capra Demon* 5
    •The Depths**** 2 | Gaping Dragon**** 3
    •Blighttown** 1 | Quelaag*** 3
    •Sen's Fortress** 15 | Iron Golum*** 2
    •Anor Londo* 12 | O+S* 13
    •The Catacombs**** 2 | Pinwheel*** 0
    •Tomb of the Giants* 7 | Nito**** 0
    •Duke's Archives*** 1
    •Crystal Caves** 2 | Seath*** 1
    •New Londo Ruins**** 6 | 4 Kings*** 3
    •Demon Ruins* 0 | Ceaseless Discharge** 1
    | Firesage Demon** 1
    | Centipede** 3
    •Lost Izalith** 2 | Bed of Chaos** 4
    •Kiln of the First Flame** 1 | Gwyn**** 2

    Total time: 69 hours (nice)

    I ended the game lvl 92, using the claymore, black knight shield, black iron armor, havels ring, and whatever other ring fit the situation. Most of my levels upgrading Vit, End, and Str.

    I see now I did miss some content, particularly the DLC stuff. This was a blind playthough, however if I felt impossibly stuck on a boss I did allow myself to get some hints, and only after multiple deaths.

    Favorite bosses were Gaping Dragon and Sif. O+S made me almost quit, but I cooled off after two days. Favorite zones were New Londo and Undead Burg. I'd be happy to never see Tomb the the Giants and Anor Londo again.

    I do look forward to reading up more on what I've experienced, from here on out I don't mind spoilers, and will tackle NG+ with guides. I could write so much more, buuut I'll keep it short(ish)

    submitted by /u/LittleGoron
    [link] [comments]

    Gwyn...

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 11:35 PM PST

    I know this will probably get lost in new or whatever, but i have to express how sad that my journey with dark souls is over. I just defeated Gwyn in 10 seconds after summoning the magical Sun Man. No cut scene or dialogue... I'm so surprised. The music was beautiful and really fit the scene perfectly, but the fight... Gwyn just charged me, I parried, then Sun Bro and I beat Gwyn's ass like a cartoon. Did everyone have this easy of a fight? I'm so speechless that my time with Dark Souls is over, but I also feel like they did Gwyn dirty with no cut scene or dialogue. He's so hyped as the final boss and I don't know what to do after beating him in 10 seconds. How did everyone else's Gwyn fight go?

    I love this game more than any other game I have ever played. It's been such an amazing journey. The Dark Souls community is so amazing, especially the beautiful orange glowing comments that guided me in so many dark moments. I really appreciate everything that Dark Souls and everything related to it has given me.

    Thank you, and don't you dare go hollow.

    submitted by /u/big-booty-mood
    [link] [comments]

    The areas of this game are stunning

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 02:46 PM PST

    So I just finished the painted world and I've changed my opinion a bit on it. Yea it is rather creepy here or there but that's what made it so fun finishing it. It shows they put time and effort into these areas. They make you sit on the edge of your seat either scaring you or leave you wanting more and in my opinion this is what makes the game great, the effort they put in shows.

    submitted by /u/SomeRandomRedditMan
    [link] [comments]

    Hi, I'm interested in playing dark souls.

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 03:27 PM PST

    How should I start playing the Dark souls series? Should I try to get a key for Dark Souls Prepare To Die Edition? Try the remaster which I've heard is a buggy mess? Any tips help out a lot, thanks

    submitted by /u/datphantomtheive
    [link] [comments]

    No Steam Sale for Dark Souls Remastered?

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 12:43 PM PST

    I live in the U.S, and I've been anxiously waiting for the winter sale for a couple of months to pick up DSR on Steam. I have the game on Switch and have beaten it several times, but I want to play it with 60 fps, a more active online community, and mods. But apparently it hasn't gone on sale at all? Is this a region lock thing, will I have to buy it off of something like g2a, or do I just pony up the $40?

    submitted by /u/PineCone777
    [link] [comments]

    My best friend had a piece commissioned for Christmas of us that I think you all will enjoy. Support the artist!

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 07:09 PM PST

    THEORY: The Snake Tonged Lie of the Age of Man

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 12:24 PM PST

    I'm going to front load with the core thesis of this theory.

    The coming Age of Dark being an Age of Man and the very idea that the Dark soul was distinct in the first place were both complete and utter lies perpetuated by the Primordial Serpents.

    Along with that, the very idea of the Age of Dark and Age of Light being significantly separate ages are also lies told to the world.

    Both of these Ages are actually one age, in fact they have been the age we've been playing all through out the games.

    The Age of Fire. Or as I would like to specify, the Age of Disparity.

    Now to explain myself.

    EDIT: This theory is made mostly under the Cycles interpretation of the Dark Souls Universe.

    Part 1 The Fall of Dragons

    In the very beginning of DS1 it's explained that in the beginning it was a land of gray crags, Archtrees, and Everlasting Dragons.

    This was a world of stagnation and the eternal; all things were as they are and will be.

    That was until the introduction of disparity, taking the form of the first flame.

    This disparity gave distinction to the land, to man, and I believe even the dragons.

    The first to be effected was likely Seath, as he was the first of the dragons to know with great certainty threat of death.

    Along with him, all other known living dragons are either not actual dragons or are in some way malformed.

    But dragons are still known to on some level to exist, this is even further allowed with the fact that the original text refers to dragons as "defeated" and not "No more" as the English text states.

    But that makes you wonder, what constitutes defeat?

    I suspect that it's quite simple, the end of a world set in stone and the beginning of one of Disparity.

    And with disparity leads to imperfection; whether be that they lack horns, fore arms, wings, stone scales.

    Or possibly even, all of the above.

    But what your left with has a pretty simple appearance.

    A Serpent.

    And as the Covetous Serpent Rings states:

    "The serpent is an imperfect dragon and symbol of the Undead."

    My idea is one stated more articulately proposed by others, so I'd suggest to search for them for a better idea of this.

    But ultimately what I'm trying to get at is that the Primordial Serpents are the final results of the Everlasting Dragons in this new Age of Disparity.

    And with this new state, I lead to the motivation of the Primordial Serpents.

    And that is to lead the world back to how they see it should be.

    A world of the eternal, without Disparity where all can be Everlasting.

    A world without the First Flame.

    The world Kaathe is so insistent to be brought about.

    Part 2 Fear of the Dark

    Now

    You may wonder:

    "What about the Dark Soul? Wont the fading of the flame bring the age of dark?"

    To that I'd say, no.

    I say this, because where did the Dark Soul come from?

    The First Flame.

    The origin point of disparity.

    Where both Life AND Death, as well as Light AND Dark came from.

    The common idea for us is to see things like dark and death things that are only an absence of its opposite.

    Without Light your left with dark, without life your left with death.

    But that does not seem to be a case in this world.

    Both Dark and Death have been shown to be just as much of a unique substance as life and light.

    And with that I suspect these are actually all separate, equal, but connected forces/souls.

    And that ultimately, they need their opposite in order to exist.

    But then comes another question, why was Dark singled out?

    I have a couple ideas but two pop out the most to me.

    And that is first, Gwyn (and light along with it) was the ultimate victor in the war against dragons.

    Although yes, every other group played a major role.

    As it was his lightning that pealed back their scales making them weak.

    And because of that light was able to be seen as the king of the world, many within his faction held as Gods and produces of most miracles.

    And because of that Gwyn was able to grow arrogant, and fearful of his opposite.

    The fact that humanity was his front-line soldiers, competent enough to be rewarded with a whole kingdom and one of his daughters should be enough to show their strength.

    The second possible origin that could add onto the first is Frampt, as I posit that he is just as much of a liar as Kaathe.

    It's very possible that as a dear friend of his, Frampt could have very well filled Gwyn's head up with ideas of danger towards not only the dark but also the fading of the flame.

    Now this relates into the iffy-ist part of this theory, and that's understanding what's Frampt's deal.

    I'm very unsure what his motivation for continuing the flame could be.

    By DS3 the world has been put into ruin, humanity is at the peak of hollowing, and all things are converging to the first kiln.

    It's possible this is the end result of what he wanted, are ruined world made easy for over taking to bring in a new age.

    Or maybe just as those under Kaathe who took pride in hollowing, maybe he saw disparity as good.

    Again, I'm not really sure.

    Kaathes motive also has a split with me, on one hand it could just be to get to his age as soon as possible, but the Usurper ending of DS3 shows an end where a dark lord is made that consumes the flame, suggesting maybe that could cause the end of flame for good leading to a permanent age of ancients.

    Or again, maybe containing the flame in a human is the only thing to continue disparity while still shrouding the world in dark.

    But alas, I go back to the main point of this part of the theory.

    And that is why do you need only dark for an age of it?

    We know for certainty that night is a thing in this world, so there should be a fair share between those aspects.

    This world is one of balanced opposites.

    Each working with two and opposing to one, but all together equal.

    And the flame is the separator of these aspects.

    Without it, everything would just be set in stone.

    Part 3: The Dark soul isn't special, your just Human and Gwyn hates you.

    As said, the Dark Soul is no more special of a lord soul then any other lord soul.

    Fragmentation?

    Gwyn did it.

    Usage as a weapon?

    Just about the everyone else did as well.

    Kicked out the Cool Kids Club?

    Had any other soul found a way to take down the dragons, there opposite would be kicked out just as well.

    No flame = Good for Dark?

    It's just as good for anyone else.

    No flame means everyone hollow, so there all basically dead.

    But Hollow is also sort of alive, so immortality as well.

    Lights kinda hard because of our innate idea of fire = light, best I got is maybe they switch-a-roo and still try and convince dark to fade the light still.

    Along with this, we have only ever played as a human.

    So we don't know of how different it is as the other races.

    Now, I'm kind of at my wits end with this.

    There's a lot more to be refined with this, and I literally came up with this last night and this morning.

    All criticism is wanted and required.

    Like all art this theory is not finished, only abandoned.

    submitted by /u/SanicFlanic
    [link] [comments]

    Help With Undead Parish Please?

    Posted: 23 Dec 2020 03:58 AM PST

    Hi this is my first DS1 play through and I'm having a struggle getting to past the dragon to the bonfire that the dragon is protecting. I know you have to shoot the dragons tail but I don't have a bow/crossbow. Where can I get one? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Ezio_Auditore08
    [link] [comments]

    Help

    Posted: 23 Dec 2020 03:45 AM PST

    I just bought dark souls remastered and would like to know what is the best class to start with. Thank you very much and have a good day. ❤️

    submitted by /u/Tenchu_05
    [link] [comments]

    How did you feel after the ending?

    Posted: 23 Dec 2020 03:22 AM PST

    I felt terrible and sad.

    submitted by /u/Quententence
    [link] [comments]

    Ds arcade stick challenge run, plus butto nrandomizer

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 11:22 PM PST

    i've been doing a challenge run where i play through all the dark souls games on an arcade stick, thats mapped both too an 360 design and keyboard and mouse controls

    ie

    the main stick is both the D pad and the regular stick, Y is Y but also my lock on, same for the rest of the buttons lol

    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/847178806

    i just managed to beat O and S wouldn't have took me so long but i died like 100 times just trying to walk a straight fucking line getting over that stupid bridge ontop of the painted area haha

    submitted by /u/rincewindTGW
    [link] [comments]

    My 10 yo brother is on his first playthrough and is stuck on the bell gargoyles and literally crying for help from me right now and I won't help him

    Posted: 23 Dec 2020 03:03 AM PST

    Call me sadistic. I know how difficult this game can get for new players, but I, not in my righteous mind, can steal the feeling he will have when he finally gets "Victory Achieved". No matter how many times he may end up dying, I won't budge. I won't help him. I can't wait to see his face when he finally wins. This game has helped me cope in dark times. I'm sure someday he'll look back and be glad that I didn't help him.

    submitted by /u/ShayD7118
    [link] [comments]

    Tomb of giants

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 08:11 PM PST

    I went into the catacombs and the tomb of giants at level 42 to painfully waste my time on dumbass bone dogs and find out I can't even fight the boss. Thank you Dark Souls.

    submitted by /u/SparkingDown
    [link] [comments]

    Can somebody help me with Sif with some jolly co-op please?

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 07:55 PM PST

    I'm waiting outside his gate.

    submitted by /u/Ok-Flounder-9696
    [link] [comments]

    Need tips for the depths

    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 10:02 PM PST

    I cannot for the life of me get out of them or beat the dragon while cursed. They really confuse me and I've been stuck here for hours.

    submitted by /u/MeAndThePipBoys
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment