• Breaking News

    Friday, December 4, 2020

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Fashion Friday.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Fashion Friday.


    /r/DarkSouls - Fashion Friday.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 10:07 PM PST

    What does your current PvP character look like? If your character has a back story to go with their personal fashion statement we'd like to hear that, too!

    Don't forget to check out /r/fashionsouls for all of your fashion needs.


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My First Impressions on Dark Souls Remastered!

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 09:01 PM PST

    Today I just played Dark Souls for the first time and wow people were not joking, this game is pretty damn good so far. I was expecting a game that pulls no punches and is incredible difficult. Instead I found a challenging but fair game that has amazing combat that makes you feel amazing. I absolutely love the combat in this game, it is so satisfying to kill enemies in this game since you have to think and strategize before you act. It reminds me of Jedi Fallen Order which was amazing fun but you needed to have skill to beat it, same thing with Dark Souls. The Undead Asylum is one of the best beginnings to a video game ever. It is straightforward, teaches you everything about the game with creepy messages, and within the first 2 minutes you are already at the first boss. That shit caught me off guard and i ran for dear life. I then got a cool sword and shield and some estus flasks which are so amazing in this game, I already know I will need it a lot on the future. I then tackled the first boss again and I beat him but I wasted about 4 of my estus flasks, still felt satisfying though. Then a weird bird took me to the Fire link Shrine and can I just say I love this hub world and it's music. The first place I went to was New Londo Ruins which I quickly realized was not suited for my level. After that, i found Undead Burg which was so much fun. I stopped playing about when it reached the first bonfire of Undead Burg. This game so far is meeting my expectations and more. I am so glad to have finally played one of these games and I can already tell that this game will be a legendary gaming experience!

    submitted by /u/Littleman_Jose
    [link] [comments]

    Proud Dad #2

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 03:26 PM PST

    My son asked to play more Dark Souls today. I of course was more than happy to oblige. We picked up where he left off in Firelink Shrine after speaking to Crestfallen Warrior and I told him to have a look around.

    He grabbed the item from the well and headed straight up the stairs. I asked why he went that way and he said cos the guy told him to go UP. Actually listening to NPCs. I guess he learned from his Oscar experience!

    He encountered the Hollows then. After a few minutes of remebring the buttons, and a backstep off the cliff, he was back in the zone. Killing all around him. I've never seen anything as reckless in this game, zero lock on and mashing R1 until everything is dead. He made it to the aquaduct and up to the Burg after a few attempts, and reached the fog gate.

    "Is this a boss?" he asked. "Go through and find out" I said. Phew, not a boss. He carried on, exploring every nook and cranny and picking up items. Out to the rooftops and all of a sudden DRAGON. He turned and ran like crazy back to the safety of the building he had just left." I knew there was a boss!, oh he's gone".

    He pressed on and spotted the hollow with the crossbow up ahead. Got hit a few times and realised he could dodge the bolts easily enough, so dealt with the two hollows on the ground.

    He climbed the ramp to kill crossbow guy. This was it, the first proper bonfire. HE WENT RIGHT, OVER THE BRIDGE INSTEAD. I was sure this would be a major setback, but he killed the three hollows in the next room, but was almost out of estus now.

    He tried the gate to the lower Burg, locked. I couldn't bear the thought of him being sent back to Firelink after all that, so I suggested checking back over the bridge, in case he missed anything...

    There it was. Bonfire. He was delighted! He had some humanity so I explained what kindling was and he headed back over the bridge, fully armed with Estus. Now, he hasn't quite grasped the mechanic of enemies respawning after resting at a fire, so had a few runs of getting ganked from both sides by hollows. I told him to try avoid being surrounded, and check his surroundings around before running ahead.

    He took the advice the heart and made good progress. He really enjoyed exploring the little houses and smashing all their furniture, and got a fright from the hollow hiding being the wall (you know the one).

    A few more tries and he was up to the roof with the three hollows, then something different happened. He saw there was three and said "that's too many to fight, where are my bombs?". A small session on equipment management later and he was creeping up the stairs to Firebomb the guys. He was spotted by one who came towards him, but instead of attacking my son backed off and let him come down the stairs. I said great job, you can kill him on his own now. Black Firebomb to the face, poor hollow...

    He dealt with the other two and headed on. Got killed by the guys with shields once but made them look easy next time, while recovering his lost souls.

    He didn't see the stairs down to the Black Knight unfortunately (or fortunately) and headed up. Took the flaming barrel full on, but it didn't kill him. He healed and killed the hollow. I was super excited we'd meet out next boss.

    But... He spotted the door in the tower, and it opened with the Master Key. I'll admit, I started my game with the Master Key, I didn't even notice that door, I didn't even find that shortcut to Darkroot Basin until NG+. He headed down, we were going to visit Havel.

    He reached the bottom, movement! "what the hell is that?!". He ran back up the stairs a few step and stood his ground ready to take a stab. Havel with the R2. One shotted, dead. Afterwards he said, oh it was a Knight, I thought the club was his head!

    I told him about Havel and explained that the master key will sometimes let you access areas that may be above your level so you must be cautious following those paths.

    He did a few more runs after that but the hollows got the better of him. I think we were about an hour in and he was getting tired.

    He decided to finish there for today. Guys I am super proud yet again. He made it to the Undead Burg bonfire faster than I did on my first playthrough. He is struggling with remembering the buttons, keeps pressing X accidentally to attack. I reassured him this will get easier and we all did the same.

    I am sure we will meet Taurus on our next play, will update when we do.

    First Post for anyone interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/k4y9jw/proud_dad_moment/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

    submitted by /u/Clinteriffic
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else think Frampt and Kaathe are cute?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 09:03 PM PST

    I can't help but find them to be so cute, they look like rabbits! I hope I'm not the only one...

    submitted by /u/bnzng
    [link] [comments]

    Get the great shield of Artorias if you have the str

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 03:17 AM PST

    Seriously, if you're struggling with bosses this shield can tank anything as long as you have the stamina for it. After getting it I beat most bosses first try since you don't need to dodge anymore, just keep an eye out on your stamina and watch for weak points in the enemy's pattern. It also block status effects from direct attacks (so much that I went down in kalameet's arena before he was shot down and tanked the fire attacks with minimal damage thinking i can shot him down myself, before knowing i have to talk to Gough)

    submitted by /u/blureshadow
    [link] [comments]

    First time playing a dark souls game

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 09:30 PM PST

    So I just got to blighttown's bonfire after 3 hours of trying, and I can say is one question. What the fuck?

    submitted by /u/H-P-Loveshaft
    [link] [comments]

    Can I just say this sub is really great!

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 05:04 PM PST

    I haven't been in this sub long but I never see any toxicity at all (not counting people who rage at bosses) and it feels nice helping people getting along their way in their journey in this beautiful game, I loved this game so much that I collected every single item its just so much fun! And the lore is the best. And the best of all is this sub where people come together to discuss how great the game is and what it has to offer.

    Praise the sun my fellow bros and... Don't you dare go hollow!

    submitted by /u/Souperdoopa
    [link] [comments]

    I just wanted to say, that it’s amazing how active DS1 is

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 05:47 PM PST

    I've recently got back into DS1 again, mostly because I saw Demons Soul on PS5, and it reinvigorated me to come back and attempt to beat the game. It's been a thrill thus far; its the little things that warm my soul. For example, on my new run, while going through Firelink, to Undead Burg, and Undead Parish, I noticed that the church bell, or the bell below, was ringing quite often. It rang at least 10+ times before I actually rang it myself.

    I wondered about this and as I expected with how online works in this game, it was indeed the bells in other players world I was hearing. That's a small, minor detail, but the fact that I knew others were adventuring with me at the same time, not just at the bell, but potentially anywhere and everywhere in the game world just really made me want to finish my own journey that much more. Not only that, but all over online, people celebrating victory and achieving feats in this game is really special to see and be a part of.

    It's crazy to think that the game has been out so long (I'm playing Og dark souls, not remaster.), and realize that I'm a part of something so great and driven. This game is really slept on imo, not enough people have experienced it. It really is something magical that I can't put my finger on, I just know that the souls series is something special.

    submitted by /u/azraelae
    [link] [comments]

    I finally beat the game

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 12:23 AM PST

    I finally beat the game about an hour ago! I've had multiple playthroughs over the years, but always gave up or asked for help when I got to Ornstein and Smough. But I finally decided to beat every boss from then on by myself (I have beaten the bosses early game all by myself before, but I summoned a couple of friends this time because we're playing the series together). Ornstein and Smough were hard solo, but soooo satisfying once I beat them. There were a couple optional bosses I skipped, partly because I wanted to just get through the game at one point. The bosses I skipped were the Fire Sage Demon, the Centipede Demon, Kalameet, Priscilla, and Gwyndolin. I've beaten Gwyndolin and Priscilla before, but I just decided not to this time. Honestly, for some reason Gwyn was the hardest boss for me, even harder than Artorias and Manus. My parrying skills for him were... less than great, so I beat him the old fashioned way. All in all though, this is definitely a game I will replay again. As frustrating as it was, it was also one of the best games I've ever played. It even kinda has helped me through these times.

    submitted by /u/GN2019
    [link] [comments]

    Should I play dark souls?

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 01:21 AM PST

    I only played dark souls once and the farthest I got was that one guy near some stairs who gave you a potion (I killed him after). That was the farthest. I also remember some king of huge rat boss. I've heard of its legendarily difficult reputation and I've gotten steered away from it. I'm thinking of going back but in not sure. Should I play it and what are some basic stuff I should know. All I know is that it's hard, there's no map so you get lost quickly, and praise the sun with sun bro.

    Edit: spelling and capitalization

    submitted by /u/BestSeedEver
    [link] [comments]

    The existence of the afterlife

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 02:39 AM PST

    Does an afterlife exist in the Souls universe?Or is there nothing after death?

    submitted by /u/Cain1547
    [link] [comments]

    If an Age of Dark begins in Dark Souls, can there ever be another age of fire?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 08:33 PM PST

    Since you can choose to start the Age of Dark in Dark Souls 1, it got me thinking if this Age of Dark would be temporary or not.

    submitted by /u/CheezyChezit
    [link] [comments]

    Pling pling plong chaces me everywhere

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 03:59 AM PST

    Proud of myself for being the top 0.5% of listeners of Motoi Sakuraba on Spotify. Dark Souls tracks always remember me of my first playthrough. They give me a warm feeling. I appreciate every peace of music that FromSoftware-crew created.

    submitted by /u/NPihaveHeal
    [link] [comments]

    Playing through Dark Souls Remastered the first time... thoughts so far.

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 12:41 AM PST

    I should note that I am playing Dark Souls remastered directly after Demon's Souls (on PS3, I'm not classy enough for a PS5 just yet sadly) so that was sort of my reference point going in. As for how far I've progressed, I've reached Anor Londo and I'm about to face the infamous duo... not Ornstein & Smough those archers on the ledge point leading to them.

    What I will say right away is I love the World Design of Dark Souls, I love the fact the game constantly opens up shortcuts to allow players to attack the game really however they want. I'm sure this is why so many people love replaying this game and for the most part I feel they are well designed with a lot of maze like design and some very well hidden secrets and more importantly shortcuts that can make backtracking less of a pain and serve as a reward for progression. I will say though my favourite area so far is actually Sem's fortress, it feels like a gauntlet that is a massive difficulty spike but man does it feel rewarding to overcome.

    I will also say the combat in Dark Souls feels amazing, I love Demon's Souls but for the most part all that was really required was good knowledge of level design and to raise your shield, with Dark Souls I feel like you have to keep constant awareness of your opponents movement and attack timing which is definitely making me use the combat system more. The only exception I find to this is "kicking"... maybe I'm doing it wrong but it doesn't feel responsive at all and only seems like it works when I tap R1 like 20% of the time which is a massive annoyance when they like parking these shield guys on narrow path ways.

    As for the boss fights for the most part they're great all the bosses in this game look badass and intimidating and their attacks can certainly back-up that threat if you're not careful. However with some patience and observation I feel most of these guys are incredibly satisfying to overcome. They're all visually distinct but the only one I've faced yet that has any real lore is Quelaag because of her sister who I genuinely feel sorry for. Though not nearly as much as Dusk of Oodacile who for me is definitely top waifu tier in this game.

    That said, here are the WTF moments of the game for me.

    Blight Town: As someone used to the Valley of Defilement in Demon's Souls, I thought fans were likely exaggerating when it came to Blight Town but holy hell the cheap bullshit starts from the moment you start the stage. Having to engage bulky enemies over a bottomless pit and it only gets worse from there with endless amounts of poison and toxic spam, leaps of faith and confusing level design... nothing about this stage gives you any reason to want to explore it when the forms of death are so common and so cheap. Admittedly the swamp area isn't so bad at least nowhere near as bad as 5-2 in DES but even so I don't blame people for taking the shortcut in this stage.

    Capra Demon Boss Fight: I've noticed there's a few fights in this game where they like to use enemies as a secondary hazard during boss fights like the channeler against the gaping dragon, the archers against the tauros demon and the giant golem in the Iron golem boss fight the difference being in those boss fights, you are allowed to pre-emptively take out those enemies for a 1v1 with the boss. Here, not only can you not do that but you're crammed into a tiny arena with 3 very fast enemies who can stun-lock you before you even see what's happening. This to me, is the only element of game design I find inexcusably bad if I hadn't had the wolf's ring before going in I doubt I would've beaten this boss. Fortunately, you can cheese the fucker by bombarding him with Molotov's from outside his fog gate which I wholeheartedly recommend because it doesn't feel rewarding to beat him.

    The one is a nitpick, the Hydra mini-boss fight... it's not the boss himself I actually quite love hacking his head off one by one however if you're a newcomer you may find yourself being insta-killed by this boss and not really understanding why. I died twice while I had my shield up assuming the reason was because I was under his head my character somehow got "crushed" but as it turns out the reason I died was because his his head diving attack drags you towards him where apparently there is a boundary of which you can drown. How do you know where this boundary is? No idea because in the remaster the entire shoreline looks exactly the same.

    Overall I'm loving the game, but elements like this are so glaringly at contrast for what is otherwise a fantastic experience.

    submitted by /u/Adam_The_Actor
    [link] [comments]

    Just beated Gwin for the first time after three hours of tries, rate my fight.

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 02:31 AM PST

    The Iron Golem is probably my least favorite boss in Dark Souls

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 11:46 PM PST

    The fact you're fighting a large boss that can push/throw you off a small platform, seriously sucks. I'm more pissed about the boss being on such a small platform. The Iron Golem itself isnt that bad of a fight

    submitted by /u/Spicy_Ramen11
    [link] [comments]

    Going back to a fresh new game is transcendent

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 07:27 PM PST

    I've been playing the Dark Souls on the same character for the past couple of years. Played through my first time (which I remember being pretty difficult) and then immediately started a NG+ run (which was felt equally difficult). A month or so later I did NG++. So on and so on... I've run through the game 10 times or so, all on the same character.

    I just got a PS5 though and decided to play Dark Souls with a brand new character. And despite having beaten the game so many times, I was kind of nervous. "What will I do without all my awesome gear?" "Oh man, i'm going to have to kindle all those bonfires" "Leveling up to a point where I don't get slaughtered is going to take forever". While I was excited to start fresh, it was also daunting. Overwhelming even.

    I don't know who needs to hear this, but doing a fresh NG run is AWESOME. Yeah, I didn't start with all the best gear, but you can pick up some really great weapons before you kill Taurus demon (I got a Black Knight sword drop in the Undead Berg). Kindling bonfires wasn't a big deal and it isn't hard to run down and kill Pinwheel really early. And levels on a new character are soooo cheap!

    I didn't realize just how much more difficult enemies and bosses had become in NG+ and beyond. I started playing this new run a few days ago and played through the whole game trying to 100% every area and I killed every boss. It was honestly almost relaxing. I beat Manus on my first attempt (never have done that before).

    So yeah... just sharing my experience and surprise at how fun it was to start over. Don't get stuck in the endless cycle of the same character! Take a break and try something new!

    submitted by /u/Zero1O1
    [link] [comments]

    White sign soapstone

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 01:08 AM PST

    Hey everybody. I am currently playing NG++ on NS remastered. Yesterday I got past Orny and Smough.

    I always like to help people with bosses because, well, you help people and it's so much fun to do boss fights again. But it seems no body activates the white soapstones anymore.

    Is this because I am at NG++ and anyone reaching this level doesn't need help or is the amount of players on NS dwindling?

    submitted by /u/42fs
    [link] [comments]

    First time playing souls!!

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 01:08 AM PST

    Yesterday started playing souls I, my first souls game, any advice u can give me ? What would u like to know before u started ? Sorry for my English xD

    submitted by /u/LaSuperLarva
    [link] [comments]

    To the guy who got naked with me and started punching each other, thank you for that

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 07:10 PM PST

    What a weird encounter that was. The host went AFK for maybe 10 minutes right outside O&S boss room, and the two of us just didn't know what to do. At some point we just took all our gear off and started punching either and idk man there's a bond there ya know? Anyway, if you're out there man, love to hear from ya. We sure showed that invader

    submitted by /u/Billzilla54
    [link] [comments]

    Should I make a longsword +15 or should I save my slab for a different weapon?

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 12:52 AM PST

    I've been using the longsword for a while now, I think it's pretty reliable and it also scales with both str and dex but I'm not sure if I should use my slab for it or save it for something better, please help :(

    submitted by /u/Shayui
    [link] [comments]

    Somebody gotta explain why the weapon upgrade system is good? (dark souls 1 rm)

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 12:44 AM PST

    First off i gotta say, offcourse i allready tried looking at youtube videos and other reddit post, and i get the how just not the why.

    So i have the drake sword right, and im in anor londo its going fine. Havnt upgraded any weapon or armor at all.
    I get the INTEND is that i get a weapon i like, upgrade it, and then its better than the drake sword. However why should i use all that ressources for a weapon, wich might be a suppar to what i find right around the corner?
    I know dex, int and str can make a weapon stronger, wich i get, since you a sneaky boy you have sneaky boy weapon, fat boy fat boy weapon, and smart boy smart boy weapons. I have no problem with this.
    My problem is the upgrade system, you can spend a ton of ressources and souls on a weapon to upgrade it, but since you spendt all this on a weapon, this is gonna be the only weapon you use the whole game. And IF you find a better weapon or one you like more, then you have to start all over to upgrade it. This mechanic (at least for me) makes the looting a dissapointment everytime, since the new weapon you find has to be so much better than your old one, to justify upgrading it. The problem is the new weapon is never better than your old one, since it has to be "balanced".
    And also if you want a boss weapon you have to spend a huge amount of ressources and souls to fully upgrade a basic weapon, before you can get the boss weapon wich might be even worse.
    Im at a point where i dont want to upgrade any weapons, cause what if theres a better one right around the corner? And i dont want to spend all those ressources on boss weapons i dont even know the stats/mechanics off.

    Am i missing something?

    submitted by /u/andr7537
    [link] [comments]

    So I made a huge mistake tonight.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 05:53 PM PST

    Because of the great sword of artorias (cursed or non cursed ) and I didn't realize I had already made a cursed version, I will now have to play the game a fourth time to get the non cursed version for platinum. Super pissed with myself. I love these games but Jesus Christ. It sucked that it doesn't show automatically whether it's cursed or not.

    submitted by /u/02grimreaper
    [link] [comments]

    I just discovered some lore from the Japanese name of Executioner Smough.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 02:17 PM PST

    It's impressive how much we lose in translation.
    His original name is 処刑者スモウ - Shokeisha Sumō.

    do you see what I see?

    The fat guy is called Sumo.

    I'm sure there's something there, call Vaati.

    submitted by /u/Lucifer_Hirsch
    [link] [comments]

    Does playing offline make a big difference in the experience?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 09:41 PM PST

    Completely new player to Souls here. Started a few days ago. Have rang the first bell and now going into The Depths!

    Curious what the subs' thoughts are regarding playing offline. I mostly play games on PC, but I have this on PS4 and didn't want to dish out for a PS+ sub just for this.

    So far, the game seems great as an offline / single-player experience. Am I missing anything major by playing this way? Would you highly recommend playing online?

    submitted by /u/butt3rlicious
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment