• Breaking News

    Friday, November 20, 2020

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Fashion Friday.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Fashion Friday.


    /r/DarkSouls - Fashion Friday.

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 10:08 PM PST

    What does your current PvP character look like? If your character has a back story to go with their personal fashion statement we'd like to hear that, too!

    Don't forget to check out /r/fashionsouls for all of your fashion needs.


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I love Dark Souls

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 08:30 PM PST

    I accidentally bought this weird game called 'Dark Souls' 3 years ago on the Playstation Store, removed it from the cart but apparently it didn't work! Ended up buying it for around $40 CND dollars! I was so pissed off man I couldn't believe I just bought this piece of garbage. I gave it a shot & dropped it an hour later, it was hard, I was unimpressed, confused & annoyed.

    So, 3 years later... I was watching this Twitch streamer play the new remastered version of Demon Souls on the PS5, & I thought it looked really fun. I became interested in the souls-like genre of video games. The way he studied the enemy attack patterns to overcome all of his enemies, fearless & deadly. Absolute badass.

    I gave Dark Souls another shot, after all this time... I was so hyped to test out all these new strategies I learned from that Twitch streamer. I beat Dark Souls for the first time today & words cannot express how much I loved playing this game!

    I feel like the first Dark Souls game is truly the foundation of this entire genre. It throws you into the fray to fend for yourself against these terrifying creatures in this eerie, ominous world. At first, it's confusing, it's hard, it seems like a very hollow game overall. But after playing through it, it's no longer confusing, hard or hollow! It's actually very easy once you learn how to play it, the confusion fades away completely. The game is also no longer hollow because I grew an otherworldly attachment to the wonderful characters in-game such as Solaire!

    The game introduced me to this whole new genre in such a perfect way. This game sets you up for more!

    Now with this game out of the way, I feel like I can take on any souls-like game out there. Opened up my interest in this entire genre!

    (Turns out that $40 CND dollars didn't go to waste after all, well worth every cent.)

    Moral of the story; Praise The Sun.

    submitted by /u/Dustinoff68
    [link] [comments]

    I embroidered the Symbol of Sunlight!

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 10:35 AM PST

    I did this a little while ago, but I'm happy with how it turned out. It hangs in my room to remind me about jolly cooperation <3 hope you enjoy!

    https://imgur.com/a/2DecsRU

    submitted by /u/Doctor_Sturgeon
    [link] [comments]

    Why I love the idea of playing these games more than playing them (and why I still think they are some of the best games I have ever played)

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 11:56 PM PST

    Note, I've finished every Souls game but Demon's Souls, which I don't own, and DS2, which I'm almost done with.

    These games are brilliant. We all know that.

    The atmosphere that these games give off, the slow descent of a dying world into a deeper obsolescence is a beautiful ambience that sets off the tone of the game like the golden capstone on a pyramid, and it's a fantastic way to get involved in these games.

    Every time I see footage of these games, I get the same feeling, that feeling of a cold winter afternoon spent in front of the TV, making summons and leveling up a new build.

    But every time I sit down to play, all I get is pain. The only Souls game I can play whenever is DS3, because DS3 is arguably the least punishing. At the very least, it's the one I'm most familiar with.

    I have to psych myself up to play DS, DS2, and even Bloodborne, my first game and my favorite one.

    There is something deeply stirring about every first playthrough of these games that makes them the penultimate experience in their genre, at least, in my opinion.

    The worlds, the characters, the stories. Every aspect is refined, polished to a glossy sheen and borderline perfect for my tastes, but the games themselves are terrifying, because after that first playthrough, death goes from a teaching tool to an obstacle.

    My first playthrough is always one in which death is simply another way to learn the game.

    After, death becomes my sole enemy as I fly through the game in search of that one moment I wish to re-experience or invent for the first time.

    And it's stressful. And I just end up not playing, instead.

    So yes.

    These games are brilliant.

    And I don't play them.

    Ever.

    submitted by /u/1984ByGeorgeOrwell
    [link] [comments]

    Crazy connectivity

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 02:57 PM PST

    I was wandering Darkroot Basin and discovered the basement door to Undeadburg. The area connections in this game are awesome and surprising.

    submitted by /u/AtuinTurtle
    [link] [comments]

    I'm just gonna vent real quick

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 06:38 PM PST

    Tomb of the giants suck. I finished the catacombs, which was ok, and then I'm met with this. Its pitch black, enemies are annoying as hell, don't get me started on those dog skeleton things. And then, to cap it off, Gravelord Nito. What a dumb boss. He spawns annoying skeletons, and you can't even use half the arena, lest you get wrecked by giant skeletons. Also, he has an attack where you have to run away from him, or you get really hurt, but if you get far enough away, he does a seeking attack that is impossible to dodge? Twas a slap in the face after fighting the boss of the Catacombs.

    submitted by /u/Western_Telephone773
    [link] [comments]

    Bonfire issue at Anor Londo

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 12:05 AM PST

    First off I didnt kill the fire keeper. In fact I purposely kept the fire keeper for boosting my estus. I made it past the archers finally and into that place only to die and spawn all the way back where the first bonfire is. Even after lighting the one in the castle area.

    I'm at my wits end I've attempted this well over 20 times and me not having the patience or skills if I cant fix this I'll probably give up and move on. Any way to fix this or should I just jump to DS2

    Thanks

    Edit: I'm stupid.. and didnt rest... thanks for the help :)

    submitted by /u/boringaudiophile
    [link] [comments]

    i wanna draw something!

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 02:30 AM PST

    what should i draw yall?

    submitted by /u/plopkoekmennen
    [link] [comments]

    Seath, The Bullied Dragon

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 09:34 PM PST

    Every time i see something related to Seath is people laughing about the fact he doesn't have scaless, he has a huge library but lacks of scales, and the list goes on and on... will the poor dragon boi ever finally find his scales and an end to the bully?

    submitted by /u/Aggretsuki
    [link] [comments]

    Gwynevere was never more than an illusion. [New take/Old theory]

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 02:41 PM PST

    Gwyndolin, all too aware of his repulsive, frail appearance, created the illusion of a sister Gwynevere, who helps him guard over Anor Londo. An unmasking of these deities would be tantamount to blasphemy.

    There has always been something about this description that has bugged me.

    "created the illusion of a sister"

    What a strange wording. In English this would imply that he had no sister to begin with and thus created one as an illusion (It should read as "created an illusion of his sister"), but we know Gwynevere. We have seen her statues, paintings, and even have a few descriptions of her on items in game. So then this must be a translation error? I asked myself this and looked to a friend for answers, a native Japanese person who also happens to enjoy the series.

    I asked if in the translation was accurate, or slightly off, and he said it was fairly accurate and he saw no problem with the translation. So me being who I am needed a second opinion from someone who wasn't a fan of the game and took to my local Uni where I knew another native speaker who happened to also have been my Abnormal Psychology teacher a decade ago. I printed a screenshot of the rings description and brought it to him for an opinion. I asked what he thought just of the emotion/feeling of the description and not of the English counter part and got the same answer, that the sister had no existed and was created then by Gwyndolin.

    So this is only one description, I know, and we have others that surly reinforce the fact that Gwynevere existed. Notably her two rings, which said she married an unknown (as in only heard of now) fire god flann from far away, and another that said the same except with some time passing added the fact that they had children. None of this new information though is ever confirmed, and she had no role in Dark Souls 3 which is rather odd.

    So here comes the theory part.

    I believe that The Nameless King had already betrayed Gwyn before the birth of Gwyndolin/Gwynevere (In this theory they are one in the same) and as such he was looked down on by his people. He needed desperately now to father a proper heir and when Gwyndolin was born hideous he knew he could not allow the world to look on him. Yet, certainly when he knew he was going to have a child he announced to his people this fact, they expected a new heir, and yet Gwyn had none for them... yet.

    You see Gwyndolin loved his father, and wanted nothing more than to gain his approval, this we know, so what does someone so clever and deceiving do? He created the exact thing his father wants, he becomes that thing for him, a perfect image of himself. The illusion of Geynevere is what Gwyndolin believes to be the perfect version of him. Gwyn has paintings made, statues and accepts this illusion to save face with his people. He is a lord after all, and one with no heir at the moment. This would at least explain the statues and paintings, but what of those pesky ring descriptions that say Gwynevere left Anor Lando and wed a fire god?

    Well what voice speaks these descriptions? Is this a common knowledge of the people? Possibly a lie told to them and so they believed it, and as time passed the lie changed. "Oh yes I know Goddess Gwynevere, I heard she bore children even!" Rumors, spread like they do and change with time. Why else would there be no more mention of the fire god, no more mention of Gwynevere in Dark Souls 3 when Gwyn, Gwyndolin and the nameless king have such big roles? It would be silly for a heir of Gwyn to simply... no longer matter? Unless, she never mattered for anything beyond an illusion.

    I would love feedback, thoughts and ideas that could further or debunk this theory. Thank you for your time.

    Note: When thinking on this theory I left out other theories, such as Gwynevere's possible children in DS3 as they are not confirmed.

    --- Added info from discussion ---

    Edit 1: Highlighting this comment and my reply.

    The problem with this is other item descriptions that say she did exist.

    Silver Knight Set - When Lord Gwyn departed to link the Fire, his knights split into two groups. The Silver Knights remained in the forsaken capital in the service of their goddess.

    This tells us that she was around before Gwyn left. They couldn't remain for somebody who didn't exist yet.

    Ring of the Sun Princess - The Princess of Sunlight Gwynevere left Anor Londo along many other deities, and later became wife to Flame God Flann.

    Pretty self explanatory. She existed well enough to leave and marry somebody.

    However there is perhaps room for interpretation if we look elsewhere.

    Silver Knight Shield - The Silver Knights stayed behind in Anor Londo to defend the illusory goddess, and their shields are blessed with her divine protection.

    This does seem at odds with the silver Knight Set which tells us she was real as she existed prior to Gwyn leaving.

    So we've either got an issue with wonky item descriptions or we need to address the idea of the unreliable narrator. Issue is that if we go with that we can't reliably trust any item description in the game.

    ---My reply---

    Gwyndolin also exists before Gwyn leaves, and so he could already have the illusion up. The knights are left to defend the illusion, which is why when we go to Anor Lando ourself we see the illusion and the knights.

    I believe if Gwynevere did truly exist and left Anor Lando the knights would have went with her, but they remain to guard the illusion. Why would they leave and then come back to guard a new illusion they knew nothing of?

    As for the description on the rings, as I stated in my theory. These details come from misinformation and rumors and I can only back this up by wondering why Flann and Gwynevere have no role in DS3 when the other of Gwyns heirs do. For instance, if the description on those rings is simply a statement of common knowledge, what the population believed, then it very well could have been the lies of Gwyn to save face with his people. It gives him an easy out, to say his Heir has left and is no longer with his people when they also leave Anor Lando. I would expect that when the people of Anor Lando left, they would wonder where the Queen of Sunlight was... Except she had already gone, how convenient.

    submitted by /u/Spooky-QX
    [link] [comments]

    Random thought

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 10:02 PM PST

    I've recently taken to farming humanity from the sprites in the Abyssal area around Manus' boss room, which is something I never used to do because I found fighting them annoying due to the fact that they damage you just by running into you. (Ornstein's Spear does very well for keeping them at a distance btw.) But I digress. I thought of a mechanic that I personally wish they had implemented. Presumably the sprites are fragments of the Dark Soul, which we know are drawn to each other in an attempt to reassemble. With that in mind, I think it would be really cool if the sprites were drawn to you based on the amount of humanity in your counter. Like they would notice you from farther away the more you have, with the max range being achieved at 10 humanity. Though I can see how that might be considered kind of a dick move. Sorry if that was a bit rambling or not worded very well.

    submitted by /u/abyssfiend91
    [link] [comments]

    Why is my weapons at risk all the time?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 03:47 AM PST

    I'm on my third Playthrough and I decided to use moonlight great sword and dragon great sword and they both need repairing within A few smacks of normal enemies.

    Is this how it's meant to be or what?

    submitted by /u/crazy12157
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to beat Nice chest and possibly sen's funhouse again in 4 years

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 01:11 AM PST

    I beat ds 3 while ago and now I'm gonna go back to Dark souls 1 in like 4 years. Trying to beat it without guide this time with dex spear build. Gimme some help and cringe at me as I die. I died more time to gaping dragon than Capra demon...

    https://www.twitch.tv/cafebritanny

    submitted by /u/CafeBritania
    [link] [comments]

    Somebody that can help me against Nameless King

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 04:44 AM PST

    Im playing the ps4 version and i want somebody to summon to my world and help me vanishing this boss. thanks!

    submitted by /u/KamiEnelYT
    [link] [comments]

    I cried when I finished dark souls for the first time

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 04:40 AM PST

    So in 2013 I tried a game called dark souls on our old shared family PC. I was mostly the only one using it since most of my family were normies and didn't play that many games. Anyway I torrented dark souls and installed it for the first time. I was looking at reviews on forum sites and found many people rating the game very highly. People said it was an amazing medieval Stiles RPG action game that was difficult. I was huge fan of that description. And thought the game was made just for me.

    So I made an appointment to myself to play it on Friday night because it was the weekend. And do I did. I started with character creation and my little brother who was 8 at the time was watching with me. I let him help me choose the character and we spent around 1 hour and a half just on the character creation. We had a lot of laughs and fun times.

    Finally I started the game and we watched the cutscene. My brother was really scared so I told him he needed to go to bed and that this game is for people who are more grown up. He refused and continued to watch with me. I then reached the tutorial and it took me around 40 minutes just to figure everything out and to kill the asylum demon.

    After that, 4 hours later after doing a lot of exploring and going to different areas with the master key in lordran I eventually reached the Taurus demon and that took me another 1 hour. At this point me and my brother were extremely engaged. My brother was begging me to try to play so I finally gave him the controller after I beat the Tuarus demon and he immediately got burnt by the dragon. But we didn't give up we went all the way back and we had the reached the ladder shortcut.

    And from that point on we were literally in love with the game. We called it a night because we started at around 11pm and now it was around 4am. I told him to go to bed and not to tell his parents that I kept him awake. The next day we did the same thing. My brother watched me and I continued to play and occasionally I would give him the controller. At some point he started his own world and started playing on his own when I wasn't playing.

    Bear with me guys trust me this story is gonna get somewhere.

    Fast forward 6 months and I finally reached Gwyn and I had watched vaaitvidyas lore videos the night before I reached him. My brother wasn't with me at the time since he was asleep. But anyway I was trying to beat him for 3 hours and after that many attempts and after the music I beat him and after doing everything in the game possible and finishing the game I felt hollow... His soundtrack was still ringing in my ears. I started crying and crying and crying... It was the best experience in my life.

    Dark souls has changed me since. And it has become forever my favourite game ever. After that I offcource became a fromsoftware and Hidetaka Miyazaki fan. I played all the games after. Including dark souls 2, Bloodborne on the PS4, Dark souls 3, Sekiro shadows die twice on the PS4 and finally today I am going to play demon souls for the first time on the ps5 wish me luck guys.

    Also my brother has become a huge fan too which I find amazing that at such a young age he was exposed to such amazing art.

    But before I end this I just wanna say two things. First of all I am writing this at night time and I super sleepy so that's why my grammar and sentence structures are a bit off. And second of all I want to ask a question...

    AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO CRIED AT THE END OF DARK SOULS?

    submitted by /u/gamerxweebforlife
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some help with Black Dragon Kalameet.

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 04:39 AM PST

    I'm outside its fog door, can i get some help?

    submitted by /u/dreamonto
    [link] [comments]

    Another Dark Souls Lets Play

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 04:35 PM PST

    Hey guys, I don't know if this is taboo, but this is an episode of a Darks Souls series I've been making with my friends. We started making these videos to give ourselves something to do during Melbourne's lockdown (and to force our mate to finally play DS). The format is very PTT/RKG inspired, so maybe these videos will hold you over until the next season of Retry starts. This isn't the latest ep but we are particularly proud of it as we feel it is the first that we are truly comfortable and confident in what we're doing. We'd love for you to check it out <3

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6acIRhoC_Xo

    submitted by /u/Sasqwog
    [link] [comments]

    Location of all (10) Crystal Lizards in The Great Hollow

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 09:22 PM PST

    I wasn't able to find a guide for the location of all the crystal lizards, in The Great Hollow, that didn't look like it was recorded with Bandicam, so I decided to record a no-nonsense guide. I hope someone out there finds this useful.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZrqddNdIbU

    submitted by /u/Synikaal
    [link] [comments]

    Need tips for combat

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 10:20 PM PST

    Quick question what's the best way to fight the small thief's that ambush you? I've killed them before several times, but occasionally l underestimate them on a pass through and they'll kill me. I'm playing a knight right now, shield and sword. I'm curious what the best tactic is to fight these guys with that equipment?

    submitted by /u/-The-_-Dude
    [link] [comments]

    weapon upgrade question

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 01:55 AM PST

    so im up to nito, and am using a msgs +7, if i upgrade it to divine, and then downgrade it later, will it downgrade to +5 or +7? i was asking cause it seems like a waste for 1 boss to lose to wpn lvls but i kinda need the skeletons to fuck off during the fight. i know that the materials are lost for the downgrade, but i dont really care, its mostly the weapon levels cause i dont wanna grind the souls and titanite again.

    submitted by /u/NZWedgie
    [link] [comments]

    Saw a player phantom while offline?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 07:41 PM PST

    Hi. Haven't played DS in a little over a year and decided to have a play through. I am playing offline. The game starts in offline mode, but while going through the shortcut from firelink to the depths I saw a player phantom, the grey ghost that comes and goes type, in the water tunnel. I figured I must have been online somehow so I quit to menu but the top left showed I was offline. Anyways, no idea what happened there but it gave me the shivers and I thought id share and see if that's happened to anyone else before? This was the remaster btw

    submitted by /u/bento_box_
    [link] [comments]

    Who’s Idea was it to remove leveling up at bonfires?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 11:12 PM PST

    I am currently about 8 hrs into DS3 after beating DSR and Sotfs over the past 6 months. I am shocked they implemented this feature of the emerald herald and know this other lady who does the same shit. Let her just do the estus shards instead of making me sit through 2 loading screens every time I want to level up

    submitted by /u/Weak-Western3442
    [link] [comments]

    DS remastered fps lag

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 01:01 AM PST

    So i downloaded remastered version yesterday and it feels like fps is lagging, but my laptop meets and exceeds the requirements a bit. tried turning AA off in settings, turned of everything there was in pc settings too but still, it also does not respond to dodge and some other moves on time. Tried borderless mode too, no better. can anyone tell me what to do to fix?

    submitted by /u/GeoMagicCrafter
    [link] [comments]

    PTDE game save to remaster new game save. (FOMO on active players)

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 04:34 AM PST

    Hey all, so kind of new-ish to the series, and just loaded up a 1.8 year old game save for dark souls (was on PTDE for PC) and was weighing up if I should dive into the new one for some multiplayer aspects. As someone mentioned to me, part of the series is the online portion of the game.

    Though.... since I am new, I actually thought I was online but I realised I was summoning NPCS.... and the invasions was Ai. One of things holding me back was I just activated the 2nd bell... and wasn't keen on starting again after sinking this much time into it.

    Still felt I'm kind of missing half the game, so I just bit the bullet - to my surprise the game was on Sale today! 50% off ..... I don't regret it one bit! I got to summon 2 people to run me through the 1st bell area and it was such a cool experience (communicating through gestures)

    Anyway, that's my story, can't wait to get back to where I was on my PTDE save point, but also excited to see what the rest of the game is like with active players.

    Praise the sun!

    submitted by /u/tonytrandesign
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-Infused Weapons

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 10:25 PM PST

    I just got a fresh start on Dark Souls and am working on a route to most efficiently gain all achievements(possible speedrun?). I am aware of a Crystal Halberd in Anor Londo (I think), a Lightning Partizan... somewhere... the Occult Club with the Havel gear... I feel like there is more, but I can't quite recall. Does anyone know where the pre-upgraded items are for sure, and if there are more?

    submitted by /u/JikuAraiguma
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment