• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 21, 2020

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Gather 'round the bonfire.

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Gather 'round the bonfire.


    /r/DarkSouls2 - Gather 'round the bonfire.

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 10:09 PM PST

    Welcome to the bonfire, our weekly off topic thread.

    This is a place where anyone can talk about anything unrelated to Dark Souls and get to know your fellow undead a bit better.

    Please be respectful and follow reddiquette.

    What's keeping you from going hollow these days?


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls2/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Why Dark Souls II has become my favourite of the series

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 06:49 AM PST

    About a year ago now, I made a post about how I'd started to like the game after giving it another shot. Well my cousin stopped playing with me pretty early on, so I made a new character instead. However, I decided to keep the same build.

    As far as I can remember, my plan was to use the MLGS and some fashion souls, along with the Sanctum shield to make a sorcery build. So, that's what I did.

    I started out a sorcerer and went to Heide's as my first area. I cleaned the whole place out because I hated the run up to the dragon. Killed the scrub and then killed Old Ornstein. From there, I went and killed the Dragon Rider and progressed. With the levels I gained from effectively farming the area, I levelled up ADP and then INT. Leveling up ADP is a must for any build IMO and the sooner you do it, the better.

    I progressed through the game, blasting (and occasionally slashing with my dagger when I ran out of uses). I came up No Man's Wharf and befriended Carhillion of the Fold. I bought all of his spells as well as the Clear Bluestone Ring. I felt much more powerful and blasted a hole right through the Flexile Sentry, and rode right on over to the Lost Bastille.

    Here lay the hardest boss for me in my journey so far, the three retards. I can't remember their name, but you know who I mean. My spells obviously ran out since there was three to kill and I had to use my shitty dagger to finish one of them off.

    Anyway, yada yada. I went straight to Scoriponess Najka when I could but got my ass kicked due to high sorcery resistance. Eventually I came back and took her down afte a few tries. Quite a hard fight for a pure sorcery build (which is effectively what I was at the time). I eventually got to Prowling Retard and Da Gang and shamefully died. I came back, killed them all and got to Brightstone Cave Tseldora.

    I rekt the whole area, and clearly out the aids area before Freja. Seriously, if it wasn't for the one spider dude chillin at the ladder, I'd have just ran past. Anyway, Freja is the definition of and EZ fight, and I didn't even use a torch. Then I ascetic'd, panicked, asked for help, received none, and learnt about the torch trick. EZ fight becomes EZr I guess. Now I had what I needed... the Old Paledrake Soul. I traded it for the MLGS and now my build was really on the move.

    I levelled it up as much as I could and went on to smesh everything. I got Soul Spear from Huntsman's Copse and then another from Agadayne after killed Big Frog. No boss really gave me much trouble from here as I can remember. I'd blast 'em, stab 'em and rinse and repeat. Amanda's Shrine pisses me off though, fuck Amanda.

    Before long I was at Velstadt. Git blasted noob.

    Going forward, I felt pretty good. I ran through Aldia's keep, got the Ashen Mist heart from Ancient Dragon and noped out. I rinsed the memories and thought "I don't think Vendrick's hurt, I think he's scared" and went on over. God this fight pissed me off. I decided to give it a break until later. Bastard.

    From there, I decided to go fuck his bitch. However two white knights tried to stop me. This fucking fight man. It's just bad. Throne Watcher and Throne Defender give Dark Souls II a bad name. It's this sort of bullshittery people think of when they shit on this game, along with Pursuer's grab and the ganks. After telling them Nice Guys finish last, I moved onto the world's biggest catfish, Nashandra.

    Lmao I think she hit me once, EZ fight on sorcery 😏😏😏😏.

    I tried Dicklurker a few times before I decided to use my old strat of 'come back later when you're OP'. So, I went on my way to the Sunken King DLC. I entered Shulva, The Dragon's Gaff.

    6.5/10 for this DLC. Lots of hard hitting gank-emies. I rushed my way to the bonfires while collecting spells for the plat and of course, got the Sanctum Shield. I levelled it up a couple times and went to equip it.

    FUCKING FAITH?? WHY WOULD A SORCERER LEVEL UP FAITH??

    With my blood SEETHING, I decided to go get a new staff. Apparently that was a thing. I got the Staff of Wisdom because it's apparently the best, not sure why. Maxed it out like my mum's credit card and proceeded to try to shoot an enemy and have the spell whiz over their head. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

    After about 10 tries, I killed Elana. This fight would be GREAT, if she summoned the skellies at the start and then Velstadt when she's at half. Not constant summoning. Fuck me this fight got me on edge and pissed me off. This is really a shit show of a fight. I moved onto Sinh straight after and beat him first time. Cool fight, bit too easy IMO. Man donned his crown, realised he was frail as fucking and couldn't fast roll with it, and put my Rogue Hood back on.

    Next, I moved onto the Old Iron King DLC. I was enjoying the game, strangely enough. The worst one, and I was having a really good time. My guy looked homeless but hey, we were getting somewhere. I eventually got to Fume after surviving some mild (and not so mild) ganks and had my favourite fight of the series.

    Holy FUCK, this fight is good. I've never had to watch my stamina, the boss's attacks, my health and what I have selected in the same way as with Raime. GOD, this was amazing. Never did my many deaths (and there was many) feel unfair. And when I downed him, god! It felt amazing. I looked at my new crown, didn't even fucking bother, and went and got Nadalia's shit together...

    Or so I intended. You see, the hidden gem to this DLC had evaded my memory. Alonne. Long story short, I bitched, respec'd into a STR build, killed Vendrick, bitched some more, and went back to Sorcery. I removed all the faith I had levelled up previously to speak to the Hex Cripple for the plat and ended up downing Alonne. Felt good, fight is a bit too fast for this game IMO.

    Before proceeding to Eleum Loyce, I decided to do some work on the plat. I had to do the Navlaan Assassination quest for forbidden sun... which required FAITH to speak to Felkin for his staff. Fuck. I grinded, got the staff and thought "Huh".

    I was drawn to the dark. These twisted sorcerers which drew power from my growing Faith. I felt like Spider-Man with the symbiote. I changed my load out. I put the MLGS in my back pocket and used Nahr Alma's Scythe, the Sanctum Shield and the Sunset staff. I was a sorcerer yes, but a hexer too. I learnt more Hexes and donned black clothing. Black Hood, Raime's Armor, and some other black stuff idk I was in my goth phase.

    I upgraded my new gear a bit before deciding to continue since Twinking Titanite is a ballache. Now I've just beat Aava, the King's Fucktoy. Onto the king himself now, it seems. My journey is at an end. I started at a humble sorcerer, who became a knight who played to his strengths. Finally I glimpsed into the Abyss and I wielded these corrupted sorceries, with the God of Blood's Scythe.

    Now I need to continue to Journey 2, do this shit all over again and THEN AGAIN to get two shitty spells. This game is now my favourite. There's so much fucking depth to this game it's unreal. So many build choices, so many fashion options, so many possibilities. My favourite of the franchise now.

    TL;DR: Started off a sorcerer, became a knight with the MLGS and finally became one with the Dark. I've become so invested in my character that this is my favourite Souls game.

    submitted by /u/killerrrrrrrr
    [link] [comments]

    Sometimes this game is Good™

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 08:07 PM PST

    Tonight I dueled with a guy, kind of destroyed him... I noticed he was struggling to parry me but didn't really get how it worked. I tried to get him to practice on me, but I accidentally fell off the edge. Later, he friended me, and I offered to let him practice on me next match. Well, sure enough we meet again, and I equipped the spoon and started bonking him with it. And he got... Really good, really fast. So the spoon broke, so I switched to the broken thief sword. Then I switched to the broken straight sword. At this point he was a hit away from dying but he got a ton of parries in. He had no heals so I forfeited the match. I gave him some last minute pointers about not trying to parry 2 handed big weapons and tell him gg. Five minutes later he excitedly messages me telling me he won a match with a parry. Awesome!! Several matches later and I match with him again. And now fighting him is fucking terrifying. He parries ME, HIS TEACHER!! HIS MENTOR!! I made him god dammit. But it's not enough. I rise, spit the blood from my mouth and turn him to dust with the crypt blacksword (for 1900 yummy damage). We congratulate each other on a gg and we are on our way.

    You get so used to so many petty, selfish and boring people in these games where being a dick for no reason is the norm. But when you find someone that you have a genuinely friendly interaction with, it's truly special and it's why I love these games. If you're reading this, my student: gg, and don't give up skeleton!

    submitted by /u/obamasfursona
    [link] [comments]

    I need to know your opinion!

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 10:45 AM PST

    Hello everyone! I'm that amateur artist that draws in anime style and loves all of you people as well as this game. I want to thank everyone for so much support to my first post. I honestly haven't expected this. (But this game is great, so are the people, so I shouldn't actually wonder. :D )And therefore today I sat down to draw... but a thought has come to me: what if I ask your personal opinion?

    Those who liked my art style, I have an important question to you! What kind of Dark Souls 2 fanart would you like to see? Who is your favorite character and what do you think would be a good drawing idea for me to share with you all next?

    Just let me know and I'll do my best to contribute to this wonderful community! ☀️

    For those who haven't seen, please check my previous post to get an idea of how my art style looks like.

    Keep praising the Sun, you wonderful people!

    submitted by /u/taiyou_no_nozomi
    [link] [comments]

    What is Gwyn's ass are these NPC invaders?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 06:03 AM PST

    Ok so I've been playing souls for more than 2 years now, but never touched DS2 cuz of bad reputation. I finally decided to play it and after finishing the main game and all the DLCs, it was not that bad. But WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK is up with all the NPC invaders? These motherfuckers have more poise than Havel and his dad while wearing nothing but bathrobes. Holy shit Gael was easier to stagger than these fuck faces. And those fucking trackings!!! What do they have aimbots?! That fucker at Undead Purgatory (I know he's technically not an invader, but still...) with jump attacks that track you through time and space! And don't get me started on that whoreson Maldron, or whatever his fucking name was. Oh my god!!! Fuck Fencer Sharron too!

    /rant

    submitted by /u/RookDream99
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best area/boss order?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 11:03 AM PST

    I played a while back and the last place I go to was a swamp like area with a bridge to a big red guy and a bunch of enemies on perchs with whips and Id fought the last giant and a couple other bosses and I wanna get back into it so I wanna make sure I'm on the right track

    submitted by /u/Change-Unusual
    [link] [comments]

    Which game is Dark Souls 2?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 04:00 PM PST

    I'm really confused as I've been playing DS3 and it's such a great game that I want to get DS2 and DS1 but I don't know which one...

    I play on steam and there is Dark souls 2 and dark souls 2 Scholar of the first sin. Which one do I get? I thought I'd go for the dark souls 2 but it has less popularity.

    Sorry if I seem brain dead but I don't want to spend money and get the wrong game, thanks :)

    submitted by /u/k0dee
    [link] [comments]

    Battle at the Lost Bastille

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 05:11 AM PST

    For the first time ever on SOTFS I found myself in 3 v 2 engagement. 5 people 1 world, 2 phantoms and a host vs 2 red invaders. An absolutely awesome time. https://youtu.be/UNlL78IGb-s

    submitted by /u/mikewill0811
    [link] [comments]

    My first death in Drangleic

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 04:14 PM PST

    It was March 12 2014. The night before I picked up my first ever preordered game. Dark Souls 2. I had picked up the first roughly a year prior and had played it to undeath. I was hyped. I had never before been so excited for a video game. Not even Dark Souls 3 would top my excitement. I was anxious to play all day at work.

    Sadly my Xbox 360 disc tray had stopped working (that baby survived two red rings by that point so cut her some slack). I couldn't play my copy of Dark Souls 2 at home yet. It would be another week or two before I could play it at home. So I went to my then best friend's apartment to play it. I had told him a little about Dark Souls, but he hadn't touched the game. My bringing the game over would introduce him to the series and I would have a friend who loved dark souls as much as myself for years.

    So I got myself cleaned up after work and headed straight over. I cracked the seal on my yet unopened copy and popped it on. I was giddy as a school girl. My friend sat and watched the intro cutscene with me. Then I gained control of my character. The wheels of fate had begun to turn and my first death was imminent and unavoidable.

    Cautiously, optimistically I walked forward. The tall grass hid strange creatures and I felt a pang of fear. I was, as everyone here must know, unarmed and treading unfamiliar ground. Thankfully I was ignored by these creatures and proceeded to a bridge. With a mixture of excitement and trepidation I stepped forward. The bridge was solid as I paused and took in my surroundings. As I scanned the area something caught my eye. The unmistakable glimmer of an item on a corpse next to a tree. Greed surged in my heart. I saw no path to it except down. "This game has platforming like the first!" I exclaimed as memories of the rafters in anor londo passes by my mind's eye.

    I approached the edge on the far side of the bridge. There was a small spot I could land on next to the tree. After that, I thought, I could carefully slip around the tree and grab my increasingly enticing treasure. I rolled forward and gracefully landed exactly where I'd planned. Now all I had to do was slip around the tree and claim my treasure. As I stepped forward the extreme error of my decision became apparent. I slipped a little with the first step and with the second I plummeted down. My treasure had been mere inches from my grasp. For most they would've felt their heart sank as "YOU DIED" faded into the screen. I felt no despair as those all too familiar words attempted to taunt me. I felt joy. I had fallen victim to the greatest enemy in the entire series. My own greed. What added to my joy way the satisfying ping of the 360 achievement.

    Shortly after I realized I had completely ignored the correct path I ignored the ogre and retrieved my treasure. I was met with a mixture of elation and confusion as four words popped up. "Smooth and silky stone". I had died... for this? I had gotten it, but what was it? I had died for a stone. I went back up and entered the home. It was then that I realized what I had done. I died before the character creation. My greatest enemy claimed my first death before I had even made my character. Curse you, greed. You have killed me a thousand times and yet I still fall victim to your tricks.

    Tldr: I tied before the Fucking character creation by trying to drop down to that first smooth and silky stone.

    Edit: I forgot one thing. Added it in.

    submitted by /u/TotallyLegitEstoc
    [link] [comments]

    So what is wrong with Iron Keep?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 11:38 AM PST

    I strolled around earthen peak like a boss, killed Covetous Demon and Mytha, Baneful Queen in first try and now i can't go two or enemies ahead without getting surrounded and beat to death. I understand that i have to take them one by one but what else would you advise to a sorcerer build to pass this section of the game?

    ps. i hate those red invaders to hell

    submitted by /u/JesusxPopexGod
    [link] [comments]

    darkman...... more like deadman

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 01:39 AM PST

    because he is dead

    submitted by /u/Shadows4
    [link] [comments]

    Armorer Dennis almost ended my no death run

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 04:49 PM PST

    His great soul arrow( I think it's that one?) Took a little less than half my health away, and my poison mist barely did anything, nor did my other pyromancies.

    I was on the run and panicking, probably used about 14 life gems, and 3 estus chugs. I finally stopped being a coward and got in close for a backstab and pokes with my rapier lol.

    No clue how I'm gonna get through the rest of iron keep lmao.

    submitted by /u/Supertugwaffle8
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice for playing a caster in DS2 coming from original Dark Souls

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 04:32 PM PST

    Hey everyone, I just finished my second playthrough of Dark Souls and I'm excited to try out DS2. I have heard that it is different to the original and the third but still a great game. I played a sorcerer in my second playthrough and I really enjoyed it.

    Are magic users similar in DS2? And can anyone suggest any cool builds to try out?

    Also adaptability as a stat, please explain. I heard it's important for invincibility frames when rolling.

    submitted by /u/Negative_Ad822
    [link] [comments]

    so, is arena matchmaking still broken?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 04:22 PM PST

    so i quit a few years ago on my old xbox 360, and i remember before i quit that arena matchmaking was starting to get weird, i was being matched with people that just started, meanwhile i was nearly the max level, killing them way too easily and getting bored. i started the game again and i couldn't wait to jump back into PvP, i boosted my character, and joined the blood covenant, then when i get matched in arena i'm starting to get blown out of the water. i thought i was bad and rusty, but i put down some red signs and invaded a few times to check, and sure enough it was a lot more balanced.

    submitted by /u/SadSamus
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for a blue twink

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 04:15 PM PST

    I decided to make a character with demon's great hammer as starting gift (which I'd done before, didn't take too long) and then decided to use this power for good. So I ran to the Bastille as fast as I could and got the agape ring, and am now a blue sentinel with the demons great hammer at sm 241k.

    The goal here was to be able to help people, but invading to defend is so rare I need stuff to do!

    Are there any boss fights you recommend i go try to help with? I realize just doing coop boss fights isn't being a blue twink, but it does get me tokens of fidelity... I feel like my sm is high for the beginning bosses and the later levels don't seem to have as much online activity.

    Any advice you may have would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/TRAZWALD
    [link] [comments]

    I thought I could escape...

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 03:41 PM PST

    Crying face in iron keep

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 09:26 AM PST

    Near the dull ember theres a face you can put a stone in. When you do it cries weird water what do i do then?

    Edit: thanks for the replies! Case closed.

    submitted by /u/YabosBos
    [link] [comments]

    What's your best advice for parrying in PvP?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 03:17 PM PST

    I looked at guides, I tried it myself a lot, but even when perfectly timed parrying seems inconsistent. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a secret method? What's the best parrying tool for you?

    If you're successful with it consistently, how do you do it?

    submitted by /u/Autumn_Leaf6702
    [link] [comments]

    Need help in The Lost Bastille

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 03:14 PM PST

    Steam name is Kinggunner99

    submitted by /u/Kinggunner99
    [link] [comments]

    Old dragonslayer

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 03:01 PM PST

    So is the old dragonslayer ornstein or not? It would make sense if it was. Ornstein went off to look for the nameless king, he knew the king had an affinity for dragons, so he went to a kingdom of drakes. He also has smoughs butt slam. The thing I don't get is the abyss magic. It's possible he just succumbed to the darkness? Another thing I don't get is why you can find his armor in arch dragon peak is ds3. If he died in 2, then why? Unless he was also undead? You can't get his armor in ds2, so I guess it's possible he just revived elsewhere and wondered off again. We know that the race of lords can have their powers "revoked" which is how nameless hollowed

    submitted by /u/Weevil_weasel
    [link] [comments]

    Should I just focus on a few stats, or put a bit into everything?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 07:21 AM PST

    When I played Dark Souls Remastered, I did like a strength build with fast roll and a shield, where I mostly just upgraded my strength, endurance, and vitality. But from what I've understood, in Dark Souls 2 stats work a bit differently.

    From what I've understood, adaptability increases the speed at which you use items like estus, and also gives you more invincibility frames when rolling.

    What stats should I upgrade if I want to have a build like I did in Dark Souls Remastered?

    submitted by /u/EskilPotet
    [link] [comments]

    I am desperately seeking Drake keeper UGS

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 02:34 PM PST

    I have been farming the one guy that drops it for long enough to have earned over 300,000 souls. I have EVERY OTHER ITEM dropped by these guys except the one I want. Is anyone willing to trade? I'm around 3.3 million SM, on PS4, and willing to trade just about anything for it. Thank you for any help or tips on speeding this up.

    submitted by /u/EasyLikeDreams
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a list of al pre-upgraded weapons that drop from NPC phantoms?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 02:20 PM PST

    I know a list exists of all pre-upgraded weapons you can find as treasure (such as the +3 heavy crossbow in Earthen Peak, or all the weapons in the DLCs), but I haven't been able to find a list of the pre-upgraded weapons that drop from NPC phantoms. I know of a few already:

    • +5 shortsword, +5 heavy crossbow: from phantom in Things Betwixt (NG+2 or higher)

    • +5 shotel: from Rhoy the Explorer

    • +3 raw greataxe: from Melinda the Butcher

    • +5 winged spear: from Vorgel the Sinner

    I am certain there are more of these, which is why I was wondering if there is a comprehensive list of these pre-upgraded drops.

    submitted by /u/VreesKees
    [link] [comments]

    Finally did it!

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 11:40 PM PST

    I beat Lud and Zallen!

    Tears and then, Victory!

    I did it!, Praise the Sun!

    usually I don't post things like this but screw that boss

    submitted by /u/The-True-Apex-Gamer
    [link] [comments]

    Dark souls lore on the rotten, tell me what you think about it

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 06:03 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment