• Breaking News

    Saturday, July 11, 2020

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Gather 'round the bonfire.

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Gather 'round the bonfire.


    /r/DarkSouls2 - Gather 'round the bonfire.

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 11:10 PM PDT

    Welcome to the bonfire, our weekly off topic thread.

    This is a place where anyone can talk about anything unrelated to Dark Souls and get to know your fellow undead a bit better.

    Please be respectful and follow reddiquette.

    What's keeping you from going hollow these days?


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls2/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I beat the Fume Knight wearing Velstadt’s Helm!

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 02:04 AM PDT

    There have been a few posts about the Fume Knight recently and his difficulty (apparently he is the hardest boss according to FromSoft's stats). This is my second playthrough so I didn't expect too many surprises, but when I learnt that Velstadt's helm causes Raime to enter his 2nd stage from the beginning (due to the lore and Velstadt's role in Raime becoming an outcast) I was surprised.

    After a bunch of "You Died" screens I decided to YOLO the fight with Velstadt's helm only to realize that the fight is faster and easier when Raime starts off in his second stage. I found his two sword first stage harder (and way more slow) than dealing with his one handed great sword. Timed, attacking and rolling, Fire Havel's Greatshield +5 and timing an Estus Recharge only when he does his Flame Rope animation attack or his Fire Dark Orb Attack made this way easier a fight then I was leading myself to believe.

    Velstadt > Raime :)

    Edit: spelling, added link to FromSoft stats

    submitted by /u/LannisterPlsPayDebt
    [link] [comments]

    Red Iron Twonblades

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 07:56 AM PDT

    Does anyone have some Red Iron Twinblades they could trade me? I'm on PC.

    submitted by /u/Karrot2969
    [link] [comments]

    Doing some laps while waiting to get summoned(be careful out there)

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 11:30 AM PDT

    Jeez, the timing. Recorded this the other day(watch till the end)

    https://youtu.be/iHNnY4Nknyo

    submitted by /u/deadman777
    [link] [comments]

    The Best Feeling

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 10:59 AM PDT

    I love to co-op especially to help people and where I love to drop my sign most is at Raime, that perfect monstrosity.

    Nothing gives me more joy than when I help a skeleton beat that masterpiece than when I get messages (always tons of explanation points) expressing their gratitude like:

    "IVE BEEN TRYING ALL WEEK AND I DID IT THANK YOU!!!!"

    "OMG YOU were incredible thsnkyouthankyouthank"

    "Dude I spent like all my effigues. Thank you!!!:

    (I'm paraphrasing but you get the idea)

    Anyways I LOVE THE FUME KNIGHT AND I LOVE HELPING MY BROS)

    Fucking. Love. It.

    submitted by /u/deadman777
    [link] [comments]

    Just beat the game for the first time: Things I loved, hated and general thoughts

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 06:46 AM PDT

    As the title says, I just beat the game after defeating Aldia, Scholar of the First Sin. Here, I'll go over things I hated, loved and conclude with my thoughts on the game and how it stacks up to DS1 and DS3. For reference, I have beaten the first DLC, but I have no idea how much optional stuff I missed.

    Things I Hated:

    1. Adaptability: Okay, let's get this out of the way first. Forcing players to spend 10-20 levels just to feel comfortable dodging through attacks is dumb. That's all there is to it.

    2. Boss runbacks: I understand that the runback to a boss after you inevitably bite the dust isn't always a spring breeze, but a lot of the boss runbacks felt a bit too long. Some of the only bosses I died to was because of a lack of resources, and that annoyed me.

    3. Boss difficulty: While I'm on the topic of bosses, I'd like to say that I found the difficulty of the bosses a bit lacking. While I haven't yet fought Fume Knight, Darklurker or Sir Allone, I think the game overall has bosses a bit too easy. While this may be due to this being my final DS game, I think it isn't. Case in point: I didn't find Ancient Dragon that hard despite him appearing on "hardest souls bosses" and "hardest bosses of the decade" lists.

    4. Healing: Yet another common complaint I hear. While I didn't find it as bad as some other people, I did find estus to be a touch too slow, and lifegems a bit too ineffective in bosses.

    Things I Loved:

    1. Performance: I played the SotFS edition on Xbox One, and in stark contrast to the other 2 games, DS2 ran at an almost completely consistent 60fps. Not much to say other than that.

    2. Boss variety: While the bosses were annoying to run back too and/or a bit too easy, I found that the variety of bosses was a strong point. While it did get a bit heavy on "dudes in armour" at some points, mechanically, they were all fairly unique.

    3. Spells: While I didn't use spells in my first play through, I found the amount of spells and the new spell class to be really attracting. On top of that, I found the effects and looks of spells, especially Pyromancies to be way cooler and more attractive than the other games.

    4. Lore and world building: This is something all 3 games do well, so I'll be brief. I found many of the locations to be both intriguing and nice to look at, with many brimming with lore. I also found the lore interesting and engaging despite it's lack of connections to the other 2 games.

    5. Level design: After DS3 was a bit too linear for my tastes, I found DS2 to be plenty open and explorable. While some areas were a little annoying to traverse and I was starving for bonfires quite a few times, I found each area fun to explore and I'd be amply rewarded.

    6. Open beginning: This links in a bit to the last point. While it did take me a while, and admittedly a few maps to figure out where to go in the beginning, I found such an open start to a souls game welcome. Skilled players can charge into harder areas and get rewarded for their bravery, making it open to that mad part of the community, unlike DS3, which only ever branches out a few times.

    Overall thoughts:

    While it does have some mechanics and odd choices that hold it back, I found that Dark Souls 2 was a really fun time, and that it does indeed compete with its colleagues. And I shall play multiple times to completion because its Dark Souls, and I will take as much Dark Souls as I can get my hands on.

    submitted by /u/Karma_X_Kai
    [link] [comments]

    Bit of a problem

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    So as some of you may know, I posted a challenge for you all to beat the game with only the items you can get in Things Betwixt. However, upon trying my own challenge, I realized that it isn't 100% possible. You need to use the King's ring to open the King's gates, but as the ring is acquired in the undead crypt, I can't use it. Is my challenge impossible now or should the King's ring be an exception?

    submitted by /u/masterninja3402
    [link] [comments]

    I just cheesed the Dragonrider in Heide

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 12:09 PM PDT

    And it was fun as hell. Just count seven steps and roll to his left, your right. He will do a dash thrust and fall of the ledge if you go straight to him and ignore the levers to enhance the arena size.

    submitted by /u/Vulwuldhunne
    [link] [comments]

    (Xbox1) Anyone wanna trade?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 02:39 PM PDT

    Im only at Harvest Valley so I wont have any endgame stuff. Im looking for the Ruin Sentinals armor or The Old Dragonlayer armor.

    Pls private message me your xbox name and what you can give, and I'll offer some stuff for it.

    submitted by /u/Perry_Thy_Platypus
    [link] [comments]

    I just finished my first playthrough of DS2 after having only played DS1 — My thoughts

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    I know most people won't care, but I wanted to actually write out some of my thoughts, and this seemed to be a fair place to do it. I'd love to discuss any of this with anyone who wants to!


    Story

    Holy wah, this story was amazing! It really raised the themes and elements established in the first game to a whole new level. There is so much to be said about the story, but I think the thing that made it so incredible to me was that it not only extended the story of the first game — It went as far as to contextualize and give NEW meaning to what was an already an established world. I think it's fair to say that the story of this game directly IMPROVED the story of the first, instead of simply improving on it. It's very rare for something like that to happen, especially in gaming.


    Gameplay

    The gameplay definitely went through some changes, and became notably more complex. This took some serious work getting used to, but once I started to understand the new language, I found that it became much more nuanced and considerate than it was in the previous game. I found myself switching between multiple weapon types throughout different areas of the game, based on their moveset and damage type, trying to figure out what would work best in specific encounters. Whereas, in the first game, I just rushed a Swag Sword and R1 spammed my way to victory. The revamp of the dodge-roll system also added a wonderful area of nuance where I actually had to weigh cost/benefit of defence vs roll effectiveness in certain scenarios — Whereas, in the first game, I just busted out a calculator and figured out what weight I needed for fast roll and just equipped whatever gear fit that limit.


    Random Favourites

    Favourite Weapons: Yorgh's Spear (for 1v1), Curved Nil Greatsword (For Crowd Control), Bone Fist (for Street Fighter Swag)

    Favourite Boss: Tie between the Darklurker and Looking Glass Knight — Both fights are incredible. (Executioner Chariot gets an honorable mention for being one of the coolest boss IDEAS I've ever seen, but I thought the fight went downhill once you actually started fighting the horse demon. Definitely my favourite boss *arena** though!!)*

    Favourite Areas: The Gutter (Easily the most fun map to explore. The place is so intricate!), and Sanctum City Shulva (My favourite location overall -- the rising and falling towers was such a fun mechanic to explore!)

    Favourite Spell: Soul Greatsword

    submitted by /u/TwistedHammer
    [link] [comments]

    Off hand fog wall

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 02:09 PM PDT

    Does anybody know if the off-hand fog wall shortcut works if you have a weapon equipped? I know it occurs due to the skipped frames of your character sheathing their primary weapon to use the left hand to interact with the fog wall, but am curious about whether the character still has to sheathe their off-hand weapon (making two-handing pointless) or if all that matters is the character having their left-hand set as "active" and already ready to interact (making two-handing worth it).

    submitted by /u/zukowsij
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone help me with velstadt (ps4)

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 02:02 PM PDT

    I'm having a lot of trouble with him and I need some help I'm level 92

    submitted by /u/jpt2342
    [link] [comments]

    Why does it feel like my character moves in slow motion?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 01:57 PM PDT

    I have upgrade ADP and my Stamina to high levels and still my character is so slow. What am I doing wrong in this game

    submitted by /u/Gonzito3420
    [link] [comments]

    Parry timing?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 01:52 PM PDT

    Hey guys and dolls,

    Yesterday I beat DS1 for the first time (yay) and I'm now moving on to the second game. One thing I can't seem to get a handle on is parrying. It's obviously different to DS1 as is evidenced by the damage I've taken but I can't figure out the timing.

    Any tips?

    submitted by /u/Tweed_Man
    [link] [comments]

    Ok so question

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 01:34 PM PDT

    So the Kings gate in the forest of the fallen giants is guarded by a dude. What would happen if I were to kill said dude?

    submitted by /u/thosedamngrapes
    [link] [comments]

    What's the difference between the Dark Sign and the Dark Sigil?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 09:38 AM PDT

    And what exactly are they/what are they supposed to be doing to you?

    submitted by /u/tomatoesonpizza
    [link] [comments]

    Unreachable(?) Item in aldias keep

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 01:17 PM PDT

    heres some images So I was doing some simple petrified dragons bone farmind in aldias keep when I noticed this item on a ledge, I see no way up there or any way to make it fall (like the items in the painted world of ariamis in DS1) and I wanted to know how to get it. I've looked at item guides and none I found had the item or mentioned it and it's not on fextralifes walkthrough. My bonfire intensity for aldias keep is +5 It's right behind the door as soon as you get to the area with the bone dragon.

    submitted by /u/TheCabbageCaresser
    [link] [comments]

    Do you need the Intelligence/Faith to use the Sacred Chime Hammer (Velstadt's Hammer)

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 01:13 PM PDT

    I've been thinking of using his hammer for a little while, just to try it out. But I haven't leveled up intelligence or faith at all.

    If I don't have enough intelligence or faith does the weapon become weaker? Or does it's special attack do less damage?

    submitted by /u/Perry_Thy_Platypus
    [link] [comments]

    As an Xbox player, I wish they could put this game on Game Pass or Games for Gold. Half of the fun and memories I have were from the online interactions, it'd be nice if they could revive the population

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 04:25 PM PDT

    I still remember when the first Dark Souls was on the GFG program back in 2014; that's when I first discovered the franchise. It'd be nice if they put the rest of the trilogy on the program, especially as we wait for Elden Ring!

    submitted by /u/DrPurpleMan
    [link] [comments]

    I have reached the start of my anger train

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 08:40 AM PDT

    I've gone through most of this game blind, except for the odd boss guide or summon here and there. I have reached my first block at the iron keep. I completed smelter but I'm stuck on the next bit. I don't like iron keep.

    submitted by /u/pp69696969696969
    [link] [comments]

    Bye for now,,

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 12:21 PM PDT

    Thoroughly enjoyed my last run on this totalling around 250 hours and getting the flair

    After getting reamed by Fume and Sinh at NG++ if felt like a good time to go back to DS3 to attempt that platinum

    Jeez that 1st boss takes some getting used to again ( trying a pyro build vs usual quality/ hex style )

    Stay safe everyone

    submitted by /u/Ian_Scott_1969
    [link] [comments]

    How do I beat Raime/Unreadable Fume?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 05:21 AM PDT

    I'm running a strength build with Greatsword and Avalaste crossbow,and occasionally I will power stance with a zweihander.

    submitted by /u/SadisticWhistle
    [link] [comments]

    About to play for the first time!

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 06:44 AM PDT

    So I'm about to play the game for the first time, I've played DS1 and 3 multiple times so I have a basic understanding of how everything works, but are there any tips/advice I should know?

    thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/AkumaBaberu
    [link] [comments]

    Designer Comments translated from the french artbook

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 10:29 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I couldn't find any english variant of the designer comments on Google, and when I shared some rough translations that I made with friends who are familiar with Dark Souls 2, the designer comments appeared to be brand new for them. Therefore, I felt like it could interest other people.So here are my translations on the designer comments from the french artbook.

    I hope they are accurate enough and not too strange from an native english perspective (though honestly, their french variant is also weird). I didn't include any image from the artbook, so you may want to have these when reading the doc to fully understand what the designers were referring to, especially in the case of the Grave of Saint, the Rotten, the Lost Sinner, the Royal Flag, Veldstadt, and Shulva.

    I hope this will be useful or interesting to some extent.

    submitted by /u/Wenderz-Xanthous
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone invade me

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 10:21 AM PDT

    So i am farming awestones in forst of fallen giants. And i kinda hope some peoply try to invade to have fair duels. Would bring some fun while grinding and speeds this grind up quite a bit.

    My SM: 1975957 and platform is the ps4

    submitted by /u/Sgt_Thorag
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment