• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 17, 2020

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Help a hollow.

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Help a hollow.


    /r/DarkSouls2 - Help a hollow.

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 11:10 PM PDT

    Welcome to our Wednesday thru Thursday sticky thread "Help A Hollow."

    Do you need the game mechanics explained a bit? Don't understand scaling, infusion, or magic? Just can't take on Velstadt solo?

    If you have a question or need a hand then skip /new for the day and get the help you need. Leave a comment below and someone will help you shortly. Or sort comments by new and be a helpful hollow. Remember to check out /r/DarkSouls2/wiki and contribute!


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls2/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I can't believe some people say to skip this game

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 01:43 AM PDT

    TL;DR: Some people told me to skip DS2 but I think it's a way better overall experience than DS1.

    I beat DS1 a few weeks ago and felt very meh about it. Didn't enjoy it as much as I thought coming from BB and Sekiro and hearing all the hype. Maybe it's because of my slow casting cleric build, or because I died a lot in co-op sessions with a friend, or just how archaic everything felt compare to the newer From games. I posted last week asking if I should play DS2 and got a few "just skip it and play 3 instead" but wtf I'm glad I didn't.

    Playing DS2 now in a mostly blind playthrough and it feels like a massive improvement. DS1, I felt was bogged down with tedious walking and lots of overly hollow and long paths in like every area of the game. This game has a lot of ganks but the areas feel dense and way more "alive". DS2 has artificial difficulty by overwhelming you with enemies while DS1 has what I consider game padding with all that walking and selective bonfire warping.

    Complaints about the health decrease when dying wasn't that bad since you die within 2 or 3 hits usually anyway and is remedied pretty soon/easily with rings or effegies. Complaints about starting off with low estus, wasn't that bad and made finding shards even more exciting. Complaints about iframes, I get but luckily you level up fast enough to fix that early on with agility. I admit if I didn't hear about the lifegems/agility tips I would've had a harder time.

    Majula is an awesome/functional hub even though I missed leveling up at bonfires. Some of the areas were gorgeous esp Dragon Aerie (where I'm at now and I know people say the DLC is the best part which I haven't even touched yet). None of the areas felt half assed like the last half of DS1 which severely impacted my perception of that game tbh.

    DS2 has tough bosses but also creative boss ideas like the Chariot, Royal Rat, Pursuer/ballista, demon of song, etc. The variety actually really surprised me and I'm glad summons are there cause there are a lot of multi-enemy boss fights. Map mechanics were really cool too like killing enemies near the statues in Drangleic Castle, using the cat ring to jump down the well, using branches and lockstones for certain areas, using the torch to keep spiders at bay or to light up paths in the Gutter, lighting up the torches for the Lost Sinner etc.

    DS2 is such a strong package that keeps me constantly intrigued and makes me want to push forward more way more than DS1. I can't believe that DS1s connected map design is held so highly above DS2s fun though admittedly more linear world. It feels consistently more adventurous whereas DS1 had moments of "whoa cool shortcut". I find way more positives in why people should play DS2 than not. It's a disservice to even suggest people skip it.

    submitted by /u/crsdrjct
    [link] [comments]

    For anyone who cares...

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    I did it! I killed the Fume Knight! Thank you to everyone for the tips and tricks, it took a little under a day. Thank you all, don't you dare go hollow :)

    submitted by /u/Wy4ttd4m4n
    [link] [comments]

    Looking back, I've found every Criticism fans have about DS2 is a thousand times worse in DS1...

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:47 AM PDT

    Spoilers ahead for DS2 and DS1

    Its now been a few weeks since I've finished DS1. I played the fromsoft games starting from Sekiro, BB and DS1-3 in reverse order finishing my first playthrough of DS1 Remastered a few weeks ago. It might just be the order I played the games in affecting my judgment but it feels like all the criticism I heard about DS2 before starting didn't appear in my playthrough and I actually only experienced these frustrations in DS1. Im currently on my second playthrough of both games and my opinion hasnt changed.

    To start off, I'll admit that DS2 is not my favourite game in the series. For me top honors go to Bloodborne and DS3, then Sekiro and DS2, and finally DS1 in the last place. But all the stuff I hear from the community about DS2 feels downright unfair and extremely biased. If I look at the most common complaints I hear from DS1 fans:

    You move so slowly and roll so slowly in DS2

    I'm genuinely confused when I see this because the roll feels so much faster in DS2, especially with a stat that governs it that you can and should level up. There's an abundance of souls in DS2 so why not? Also, you can run so much faster in DS2 so if you die, you can get back to where you were without too much hassle to continue learning how to get past the hazard. In DS1, even when I am playing naked, it takes so long to return to the obstacle I just get frustrated and want to run past it all. An example is the infamous anor Londo archer run. Not only do you run slowly but you have to wait for an automatic elevator to come up before you can even cross the bridge. With the clunky controls of DS1 (even the remastered version) I dont know where this comes from.

    DS2 is so gank heavy

    And DS1 isnt? What about catacombs where you are shoved into tiny rooms and walkways with 2-3 stunlocking skeletons that resurrect on you at all times? What about New Londo ruins where there are literally 5-6 ghosts scripted to come up from the ground to surround you on all sides and the other section where you are on a walkway above water next to the building and all 8-10 of the ghosts in that building zone in on you immediately in a gigantic horde? The run up to the capra demon? The run up to the gargoyles? The depths? The 6 toxic dart shooters gauntlet in lower blightown? The 30 dinosaurs in Lost isalith, the Capra and Taurus demon horde in demon ruins? The entry to the painted world with 20 painted guardians? Darkroot garden??????

    DS2 is so linear

    Complete and utter lie. You can go to like 5 different places off the bat from Majula. I accidentally went to Heide's tower before the forest of fallen giants, found the miracle lady, and ended up in no mans wharf and Hunstmans copse soon enough.

    The dark souls 1 "openness" is also pointless. You can get the master key starting gift to unlock areas but how is having a starting gift that is so overpowered that it unlocks half the game and skips two bosses a good design decision? You can fight 8 bosses off the bat with the master key but the materials and levels you need to kill some of those bosses are found on the main route of the game. Out of those 8 bosses, 2 of them are complete garbage, the rest are mediocre and one is good but you need the aforementioned levels/weapon upgrades or you are handicapping yourself.

    Technically you can explore 3 endgame areas before Anor Londo or right off the bat but doing so is absolutely pointless as the gates to the end of these areas are literally sealed until you finish anor londo. And because there's no fast travel (again, before you finish anor londo) you have to walk all the way back to get on the right path anyway. So what is the point of these areas being accessible from the beginning? In DS2 when you find a path you can go all the way to the end of that path, which for some reason you cant do in DS1 before AL.

    The Difficulty is artificial and unfair

    Where exactly? I've heard some claim that that DS2 was about "killing the player as much as possible". I never got that feeling in DS2. Some tedium in some areas but not to the extent of DS1 where you fall off ledge after ledge after ledge during some incredibly long runs.

    Another troll aspect of DS1 is the materials you need to help you get past an area are found after the area itself. The armor set that helps with toxic and poison are found after you pass blightown and the boss and then you never have to deal with poison again in the game? The large divine ember that lets your weapons kill skeletons for good is found after that section of the game. Getting to a certain area without the weapon being upgraded enough will screw you because theres only one place in the game you can ascend regular weapons and you only find the upgrade materials right before you reach this area so your choice to run back through a gauntlet of traps or continue on with a weapon too weak to fight in the area. Just why would you make it like this?

    DS2 Bosses are designed poorly with an emphasis on Quantity over Quality unlike DS1

    Really? It must take some nerve to say that when DS1 has Moonlight Butterfly, Bed of Chaos, Ceaseless Discharge, Centipede demon, 2 reskinned asylum demons who spam magical blast attacks and worst of all, the King of Bullshit, the Capra Demon, the absolute worst boss in the entire series in my eyes.

    Sure, I find it a bit boring that every humanoid boss in DS2 outside the DLC has exactly the same swing and thrust animations with different timings but at least they weren't horrific bosses in troll arenas with gimmicks everywhere. Even O&S from DS1, who get overhyped so much was disappointing as hell. It is an extremely long fight as you have to wait for the 2 to separate, taking up to 10-15 minutes for my most recent victory over them. Not only that but their behavior is so inconsistent so learning their movements doesn't do anything, you just have to wait for them to do their thing. When I went for Smoughs soul (Gotta kill ornstein first), I found ornstein camped at the back and spammed lightning at me. On my second run, going for Ornsteins soul (Gotta kill smough first), Ornstein was aggressive as fuck and made it a nightmare to fight. I almost caved and killed ornstein first (forgoing his soul). Then there is the zoom-zoom bug where ornstein gets stuck on a random pixel and flies around the arena to strike you out of vision. That was some BS. At least the bosses in DS2 dont kill you with bugs and shitboxes, in fact I'd argue that DS2 was the one game where shitboxes didnt exist.

    DS2 has the worst areas in the series

    Not even close to the truth. Lets take a look:

    - Pony fuckland - No vision, annoying enemies who move way too fast. What area can be worse than that? The answer is Tomb of the giants. Its even worse because instead of fading vision, its complete darkness 24/7. Its got equally annoying and fast enemies in the giant skeletons and a lot more of them. To top it off, it also has fall hazards. How on earth is the frigid outskirts worse than the Tomb?

    - Shrine of Amana - Enemies that aggro you from miles away and you are being slowed. I hate this area but at least its structured in a way where you have safe hiding spots from the missiles to look around and plan your next move. You know what doesn't have that? The bottom of blight town swamp. On top of having no moblity and enemies that zoom in on you (The mosquitos that you cant even hit unless your weapon has a vertical swing) you also get poisoned and there are trolls throwing rocks at you.

    - The Black Gulch - Dark area with poison and annoying enemies. You think thats bad? Welcome to the first half of blightown. Not only do you have to deal with poison, they've also added enemies who can put the Toxic status effect with one hit. Added to that, lets put some more fall hazards again.

    - Iron Keep/Passage - Too many enemies that are annoying to deal with, zone in on you from too far away and lava to fall into. Welcome to the catacombs and New Londo ruins. A billion Ghosts who phase through walls and stunlock you off ledges (who like to troll you and stay stuck in walls where you cant hit them) and hordes of resurrecting skeletons who can stunlock you to death just by rolling into you. You need an ascended weapon or a consumable to even hit the ghost and you need an ascended weapon to kill the skeletons for good. These two mobs combined with the narrow areas you fight them in are undoubtedly the worst mobs in all of souls for me. New Londo ruins is undeniably garbage the first time you go through it and the subsequent playthroughs you actually find it to be really short but still somehow tedious with a terrible boss at the end of it.

    - The gutter - Pitch black with fall hazards. This is really just a better version of Tomb of the giants, especially since you can light up the place with well-positioned candles. I actually quite like this area as a vertical maze that rewards you for exploration.

    Closing Thoughts

    Sorry for the rant but I do love this game and seeing the criticism from the DS1 purists for ages and then finally getting to DS1 and finding it full of the exact same tedious garbage that they were criticising really got on my nerves. In fact I find DS2 superior in almost every single way except maybe interconnectedness which for the aforementioned reasons, I felt was pointless in DS1 anyway.

    submitted by /u/Dazzling_Barber
    [link] [comments]

    I'm not missing something, right? People do realise this is the only DS game that doesn't have a blasted slow-walk poison swamp in it, right?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 12:17 PM PDT

    You have the gutter (not that bad) black gultch (a little worse but just keep moving) and earthern peak, but non of these insult my free time by making me walk at ONE MILE AN HOUR, plus all those areas are accessible after getting easy supply of green moss clump, right?

    Plus we don't have DS3 jumping grus. Good god those are even worse than the skeleton dogs of DS1 catacombs...

    submitted by /u/chiron42
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: Soul Appease is fantastic for farming Falconers in Brightstone Cove

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 05:09 AM PDT

    I did a cursory search and didn't find anything in this vein. If you're farming Sunlight Medals from Falconers with a faith build (e.g. trying to get Sunlight Spear), you can basically just run into the middle of the camp, cast Soul Appease, and kill like 5 of them at once. I've been doing it on NG with a 90+ faith build and Lightning Dragon Chime+5, but it does at least 50% more damage than their health so it may work on NG+ also (or with lower faith/a worse chime). I've also been doing it in the Covenant of Champions, so the damage reduction from that doesn't matter. It's made farming much, much faster.

    Edit: I guess I should also mention that this is in SotFS (of course) with all the wooden towers broken, also. But you only have to break the towers once, unless you die.

    submitted by /u/butts101
    [link] [comments]

    im so fucking high dude

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 02:53 AM PDT

    From Shaded Woods to to this. LMAO how did we get so high up above the clouds from Shaded Woods without going through so much elevation. We only took a couple of stairs and an elevator and now were higher than Burj Khalifa.

    I've made a visual representation for it to be understood easier. The Reality bending Interdimensional Elevator.

    submitted by /u/SuLayne
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on fighting fume knight

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    What techniques did you guys used against him? I learned how to get through his first phase but the second one, I can barely hit him before dying

    submitted by /u/Kusanagami
    [link] [comments]

    Are there NPC Summons in the 360 version?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 12:46 PM PDT

    I heard about a ton of NPC Summons but never found any, I'm pretty sure I exhausted Lucatie's dialog on both No Man's and Bastille, so I assume they were a SoTFS thing

    Until I got to the Black Gulch and found that Lone Hunter guy

    Were there few summons in the original and SoTFS added more or was I just not looking hard enough?

    EDIT: Thank you guys, it was a mix of misleading descriptions and me not paying attention

    submitted by /u/Alandaradey
    [link] [comments]

    How to beat mytha

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 12:29 PM PDT

    Ah yes, my favorite boss mytha. If you want to beat mytha in one try, don't do as I did. Don't spend 13 hours trying to beat it while being poisoned, slowed down and she regenerates health. Just skip all this part: WATCH A YOUTUBE VIDEO AND BEAT IT 1st TRY.

    submitted by /u/Sola1ry
    [link] [comments]

    My 5 year old brother is playing DS2

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 12:25 PM PDT

    I was playing, and he came in and said he wanted to try. He's pretty used to video games, but mostly just plays Minecraft. I warned him that this game was different, showed him the basics, and he was off.

    It's really showing me both how, despite its difficulty, the level design in this game makes it so incredibly accessable. He's in FoFG, so he's not way out of his league difficulty wise, but the levels all make sense to him. He dies, learns what he did wrong, and does it again. This game is incredible.

    submitted by /u/Legend965
    [link] [comments]

    Well, that explains a lot...

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 09:34 PM PDT

    I'm new to the Souls games. I finished DS1 for the first time recently. Beat NG+ and decided to move on to DS2.

    I keep hearing that the first Souls game you play is the hardest one. Up until now with DS2, I thought that phrase was complete bullshit. This game has made me its bitch way more than DS1 ever did. I thought it was because I was failing to adapt and I just needed to git gud. That's still true but anyway…

    At the beginning of the game. I joined the first covenant I found, the Covenant of Champions. I disregarded all the warning messages. I was just happy to have found a covenant so early this time!

    I had no idea that it was gonna make every single enemy in the game able to bend me over and have their way with me whenever they wanted; while making my white soapstone only good for washing my ass.

    The thought I kept coming back to was that I am extraordinarily bad at this game. Even worse, I can't figure out how to summon other players or NPCs for boss battles. Which you gotta understand was confusing af. I was still getting ganked by invaders. My internet settings are clearly fine. I can't tell you how many times I googled "How to use White Soapstone DS2" only to see some guy explain the obvious, and never once say how the covenant I chose disabled this feature.

    I got a clue about the nature of the covenant from the youtube video, "The True Genius of Dark Souls 2 – How to Approach Game Difficulty." He mentioned that if you want to make the game to be more difficult you join the Covenant of Champions. Huh? What do you mean makes the game harder, Mr. Youtuber?

    Confused, I looked it up. Normally I prefer to play games blind and spoiler-free, but I was too curious to help myself. I found out 20 minutes ago that this covenant makes all enemies, especially bosses, have more health, do more damage, and take less damage!

    THIS EXPLAINS SO MUCH. I burst out laughing, I couldn't resist. I played myself and I didn't even know it.

    At this point, fuck it. I just got to Dragon Shrine. I might as well finish the game this way. I'm looking forward to starting a new character with a similar build while avoiding this covenant like the plague. I wonder what the difference is going to feel like.

    --

    TLDR: Some random idiot on the internet joins Covenant of Champions for the first playthrough not knowing what the hell it is.

    submitted by /u/jetgravy
    [link] [comments]

    Help with iron keep Sotfs

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 02:12 PM PDT

    Hey can anyone help with Iron keep Sotfs ps4 Sm 52993 Thanks!

    submitted by /u/BubblyMulberry
    [link] [comments]

    A small question about my progress so far...

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 06:14 AM PDT

    I am completely new to dark souls, and I picked up Sotfs for the PS3. After a painful 50 or more deaths I got the hang of the game a bit (thanks to the guides I found here).

    So far I played for 14 hours and killed 4 bosses is that a good pace considering I'm brand new?

    submitted by /u/CoolFoxyGamer
    [link] [comments]

    SL1 pursuer

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 12:43 PM PDT

    Holy shit. This is my first SL1 run ever and I just beat this guy with 0 estus left and around 10 HP. The last giant and dragonrider were easy af, beat both first time but this gut was the first challenge. It's been ages since I felt such joy and adrenaline rush.

    I also got a mini hearth attack when I reduced him to a silver of health and staggered at the same time, thinking I killed him. Thankfully I dodges in the very last second

    submitted by /u/Antekpjk
    [link] [comments]

    Shrine of amana is ooga booga caveman design

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 12:43 PM PDT

    That's all, you're beautiful

    submitted by /u/Franks_Spice_Sauce
    [link] [comments]

    So I was just wondering If anyone knows if the iron red twinblades are in the same spot in regular DS2 and SOTFS

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 12:42 PM PDT

    I really wanna get it.

    submitted by /u/FrenchFryFiend3
    [link] [comments]

    Question to the people who join CoC on their first playthrough

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 12:26 PM PDT

    Recently there has been a lot of posts about it and it amuses me how many people did it but also got me wondering

    Did you spam through the text without reading it or did you think the game was tricking you?

    submitted by /u/SomeguyTmg
    [link] [comments]

    Just got dark souls 2 for Xbox one anyone down to help me out?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 12:16 PM PDT

    Where do I go?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 11:51 AM PDT

    So I have no clue on how to get to the undead crypt because Wikipedia gives me different information every time and im going to be 50 years old before I figure this out.

    submitted by /u/urmomagoodperson
    [link] [comments]

    Regarding armor and shield upgrades

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 11:42 AM PDT

    I've read numerous posts saying it is unnecessary to upgrade armor and shields, I'd like to see some more substantive arguments for and against this belief. Personally, I can't understand why FromSoft would employ a mechanic such as upgrading armor and shields if it were useless. I'm trying to eventually do a no bonfire/death run and seeing how many NG+ I can get through and am curious how best to allocate my souls.

    submitted by /u/Ovennamedheats
    [link] [comments]

    On a scale of Prowling Magus to Sir Alonne how hard/fun are Lud and Zallen?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 04:08 AM PDT

    I keep seeing lud and Zallen posts on reddit and I'm up to them now but I'm not sure if I should just ignore them. I'm trying to do as many bosses as I can but I also want to have fun. For scale, my hard/fun scale has these corners:

    Hard and fun: Fume Knight Hard and not fun: Gank Squad/Elana Easy and Fun: Old Ivory King Easy and not Fun: Prowling Magus

    Where would you say Lud and Zallen lie on the list?

    submitted by /u/HalfStarkRhino
    [link] [comments]

    I cant open door for Darkdiver Grandahl 2nd location at Black Gultch

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 05:32 AM PDT

    How do you open the door? Its weird it wont open.

    submitted by /u/BeachSamurai
    [link] [comments]

    Other good youtubers that discuss the lore?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 11:22 AM PDT

    I've watched Vaatividya, Hawkshaw and The Ashen Hollow. Are there any other good lore youtubers worth checking out?

    submitted by /u/tomatoesonpizza
    [link] [comments]

    Very important question about how to get to drangleic.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 10:43 AM PDT

    Ok so I've beaten all the important bosses like old iron king, Dukes dear freya, lost sinner, etc. So where do I go? I went to this big door after beating the old iron king and it says its closed. I did use the souls of all those bosses but I looked it up and it said I could also have 1,000,000 soul memory. Any advice or anything?

    submitted by /u/FrenchFryFiend3
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment