• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 16, 2020

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Gather 'round the bonfire.

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Gather 'round the bonfire.


    /r/DarkSouls2 - Gather 'round the bonfire.

    Posted: 15 May 2020 11:10 PM PDT

    Welcome to the bonfire, our weekly off topic thread.

    This is a place where anyone can talk about anything unrelated to Dark Souls and get to know your fellow undead a bit better.

    Please be respectful and follow reddiquette.

    What's keeping you from going hollow these days?


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls2/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls 2 - Better the Second Time Around

    Posted: 16 May 2020 06:28 AM PDT

    Some quick backstory to my history with the Souls series.

    I initially picked up the original Dark Souls for PS3 in 2017 used for like $10, wanting to give the series a try. I got through the tutorial after several attempts and upon arriving at Firelink Shrine I made my way over to the graveyard and promptly got bent by skeletons. I then put the game down out of frustration and didn't pick it up again.

    Cut to early 2019, I see the trilogy steelbook for PS4 on sale and I just went for it. I kept hearing praise everywhere for the series, especially since Sekiro was soon to release at the time, and I felt like there was something there that I was missing. I then started the first game again, and while it started off pretty rough, the game eventually clicked with me. I started understanding the combat, and the world and level design just sucked me in. I eventually beat the game and immediately played it again on new game +. Despite some glaring issues with the game (*cough cough* Bed of Chaos) I think the game is incredible and is now one of my all-time favorites.

    A month or so later, I was excited to start playing the second game. This was the Scholar of the First Sin edition of the game. I knew going in that series creator Hidetaka Miyazaki didn't direct it, but I saw the positive reception and was excited nonetheless, especially since everything I read led me to believe the Scholar was the absolute definite edition of the game. Upon playing the game I was severely disappointed. I was bombarded with an over-abundance of enemy mobs, questionable hit-boxes, and much less interesting level design when compared to the first game. I still saw it through to the end, beating all of the main-game bosses (including optional ones). However, I ended up skipping the DLC areas. I started going through Brume Tower and face much of the same enemy spam from the base game that I found very displeasing. I put the game down and didn't expect to play it again, I didn't think there was any reason to.

    I played Demon's Souls concurrently with DS2 and ending up finding it to be the much more enjoyable experience despite aspects of it aging somewhat. After finishing both I then played DS3 and Bloodborne and loved both and found them to be more of what I was looking for from the series. I've since replayed all of the games at least once, except for DS2.

    Cut to earlier this month. I'm still stuck at home due to the global pandemic, and decided on a whim to give DS2 another try. The first thing I knew I wanted to do going in was figure out how much I needed to level up ADP. I generally don't use shields in these games, I'm terrible at parrying and I find it's much easier and more satisfying to dodge roll through attacks. So seeing that the stat I barely paid attention to on my first play-through directly controlled my i-frames when rolling, I knew that it was likely the cause for a good deal of my frustration. I leveled it up to where my agility was at 105 to match the amount of i-frames I got with a quick roll in DS1 and it helped immensely. The game still had issues with hit boxes, but dealing with ADP immediately was a very good decision for my play style. However, I still don't think the stat was that good of an idea, and I'm happy that it didn't carry over into DS3. Overall, though, playing the game again was honestly much more enjoyable. I was better at controlling the mob enemies, and the levels felt more interesting to me. I still think the base-game areas still feel too much like straight lines to bosses, but I found the actual level themes to be a lot more varied in theming than later entries. I think Bloodborne and DS3 can feel a bit samey with the areas, due to the washed-out colors and similar level themes. But DS2 has some creativity in its visuals and environments, and I can picture a lot more of its environments from memory than the other games, all of which I've played more times. Some of the bosses are pretty mediocre (Royal Rat Authority, Skeleton Lords, most of the Great Souls), but I still enjoy a fair amount of them. The Pursuer, Looking Glass Knight, Executioner's Chariot and Velstadt were all base game highlights for me, and the only boss that I found to be particularly terrible was the Royal Rat Authority due to the toxic rats at the beginning. I also really like the idea behind bonfire ascetics as well as changing up enemy placement for NG+ runs, I really wish the later entries experimented with these ideas more. Also, this is a personal thing, but I really love the twinblades and I'm very disappointed that DS3 didn't bring them back in the same way.

    I've completed the main game as well as the Sunken King DLC. I might do a later post once I complete the other DLCs, since I have a lot of thoughts and I don't want to to take away from the point of this post. But playing DS2 again made me appreciate a game that I previously didn't like. I can honestly say that I enjoyed playing it and might even give it another go on NG+ once I've finished the DLCs. It's still probably my least favorite in the series, it's still a little too rough in a lot of places to beat out any of the others, and it's overall missing the feel of Miyazaki that makes the others special. But I'm happy I went back to it, and I really wanted to share that with a community that I assume really likes the game.

    To all who have actually read all of this I really appreciate it, and I'd love to hear anyone else's views on DS2 and if they've changed or evolved over time or multiple play-throughs. Since I started playing, the DS community overall has been very welcoming and supportive of new players and I would just love to hear everyone's opinions!

    submitted by /u/Purpleman_17
    [link] [comments]

    I just beat fume knight first try and my heart is a actually racing and I'm trembling

    Posted: 16 May 2020 08:25 AM PDT

    Last time I even attempted to fight him on my last character I tried well over 50 times and still couldn't beat him

    submitted by /u/SadLittleUwU
    [link] [comments]

    Confused about dark souls 2 lore

    Posted: 16 May 2020 07:40 AM PDT

    Can someone explain to me the dark souls 2 story, and the dlcs? I sort of understand it, but it's kinda foggy.

    submitted by /u/pro_cheese_roller
    [link] [comments]

    That feeling... and those fucking angels in the dark covenant!!!

    Posted: 16 May 2020 12:33 PM PDT

    I hate it when you struggle with a boss that you think is taking up more of your time than it should after it has killed you like 25 times. You start to think the game is unfair to you and start to criticize pretty much all the elements of the game and point out that the developers have really messed it up, although so far it has never bothered you. Then you get better and then YOU KILL THEM STUPID FEATHER BITCHES!!!! ................. And then you're like... HMmmmmm....... I guess it wasn't that bad after all. Yep...

    And then you realise how pathetic you are because you are so inconsistent...

    PS: those angels are probably one of the most interesting fights in the whole game imo.

    submitted by /u/Makqa
    [link] [comments]

    What's with the invasions at Belfry Luna

    Posted: 16 May 2020 12:23 PM PDT

    So I'm ascending the Belfry when I get invaded. My first invasion! This should be fun. Of course, I get killed in three seconds by somebody who is most certainly way more experienced in this game than I am (first play through). But hey, that's part of the Dark Souls experience.

    But then on my next life immediately afterwards I get invaded again. This time I've made it to the top, and I actually get killed by the four dwarfs before the invader gets to me. After being killed by a third invader on my next life I decided to burn an effigy. I then got invaded two more times after the game told me I was safe from invasions.

    What is happening here?! I only got invaded twice in Dark Souls Remastered, and once in Bloodborne. Now I get invaded five times in five minutes. I don't hate PvP in these games, but it's pretty actively keeping me from progressing through this level. I'll probably go offline next time I play in this area, but I'd still like to understand why the entire Souls community descended upon me this afternoon.

    submitted by /u/LechterDoily
    [link] [comments]

    I remember the first time I fought old iron king

    Posted: 16 May 2020 04:21 AM PDT

    This was my first dark souls to ever play and when I arrived at the OIK fog gate (My first great soul boss) and seeing that cinematic, it blew my fucking mind, I was like how the fuck AM i supposed to kill this bull like mfer. He made me his bitch, no joke, I had too much trouble. The hole, the fucking beam, his huge meaty arms and I sucked at rolling.

    Until I went to the internet to look for strategies and everyone were saying he was a pushover, for me he was the devil himself torturing me for my sins.

    ADP up! And then, he was no more.

    I claimed his soul, victorious, I went directly to brume tower and got stuck because enemies were hard as fossilized triceratops turds then I just quit like the pussy I am.

    But I never forgot the impact the game left me, so I bought vanilla dark souls for Xbox 360 and dumped like 900hours.

    Then I bought an Xbox one and guess which game I got first, well of course, Scholar of the first sin and experienced the dlc at it's fullest, 300hrs clocked in as we speak.

    10/10 great fucking game, would buy it a fourth time if I could. Sorry if my English sucks, it's 6am and it's not my native language.

    submitted by /u/dheneb587
    [link] [comments]

    Darklurker is

    Posted: 16 May 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    Such a piece of fucking shit what the fuck who okayed this design fuck this guy fuck

    No YOU git gud fuck you

    submitted by /u/darklurkerisafeggot
    [link] [comments]

    Which is better the Heide Knight Sword or the Fire Longsword?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    Hi guys DS2 noon, I recently got a Heide knight sword and was wondering if it was better than a fire longsword. I'm a sorcerer level 54 with 16 attack and dex

    submitted by /u/aesthetic_laker_fan
    [link] [comments]

    POISON ARROWS! Hot damn!

    Posted: 16 May 2020 09:09 AM PDT

    Finished ds1 with pure melee build, now on ds2 also pure melee, running around with Havel set and a large club at 69% weight ;)

    The shrine of banana area was immediately beautiful! But fuck those wizards that snipe me with their spells! I died so many times (mostly due to being impatient) that I googled how to just speedrun through the area.

    Most people just said to be patient, and then one comment said to just get 999 poison arrows from Gavlan and cheese them. Sounded like a plan to me!

    I leveled up my dex from 8-12 (took almost 100k soul) and looked at my basic bow's stats, I didn't think this would be killing anything

    DAMN I've been missing out on the utilities of poison arrows! I sniped my way through the area and have no regrets.

    As a pure melee dude, anything else I'm missing out on?

    submitted by /u/lgnorantSlut
    [link] [comments]

    This game is growing on me bit by bit (SoTFS)

    Posted: 16 May 2020 03:58 AM PDT

    Initially when I started, having come from the likes of DS3 and Bloodborne I didnt like this game at all because it didnt feel like DS3 and played a lot clunkier than both BB and DS3. The levels and dungeons felt a bit off with too many hazards rather than well-designed enemies. I could never tell if I was over or underleveled for a fight since every enemy had really slow and easy to dodge hits. Instead they just put at least 3, and up to 10 enemies at a time for you to deal with as well as exploding hazards everywhere. At the same time, every time I kill a boss, I get enough souls for 4-6 levels or so. The bosses themselves have been quite bland and have involved me strafing in either direction to dodge 75% of their attacks. The only one that has been moderately exciting has been the ruin sentinels so far. Online has been a nightmare with bloodstains everywhere and messages everywhere

    However, 15 hours in, I am enjoying the game quite a bit more despite all of these issues. The music for the nexus area makes it feel like an adventure game to the tune of Morrowind rather than dark souls which is a nice change of pace. The abundance of souls means I dont have to grind much if I want to get some stats to equip a new weapon I found. Its has more of a relaxing pace. All in all, Im glad I bought this game despite all the negativity I have heard about it.

    Edit: I will say though, until I found the ring of binding, I was almost ready to quit this game. 50% max HP degradation is so much! That and the sheer number of pursuers they put in the game. Until I learned how to deal with them, they were just big walls that appeared whenever I was trying to take my time and actually explore

    submitted by /u/Dazzling_Barber
    [link] [comments]

    Help plz

    Posted: 16 May 2020 10:43 AM PDT

    I can't get the mad warrior dark spirit to spawn. I am in the bell covenant, at the belfry sol but he won't spawn. What to do?

    submitted by /u/Noobie_xD
    [link] [comments]

    Spoilers

    Posted: 16 May 2020 01:54 PM PDT

    Should I put King Vendrick out of his misery

    submitted by /u/pewdiebhai64
    [link] [comments]

    Quick question

    Posted: 16 May 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    Why does the Black Witch's Staff have a fire damage rating? You can't cast pyromancies with it and there are no sorceries, miracles, or heces that do fire damage.

    submitted by /u/masterninja3402
    [link] [comments]

    PvE caster?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 01:29 PM PDT

    Been playing a caster throughout the entire game. Mostly been using dark orb and affinity lately, but i've been thinking about going pure sorcery and using the wisdom staff. Should I keep going with all magic, or would it be beneficial for me to go full on sorceries and ditch the faith?

    submitted by /u/ReliableDT
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone tryna help me with ancient dragon? (Ps4)

    Posted: 16 May 2020 01:16 PM PDT

    Fuck this boss. Pls help.

    submitted by /u/missed-input
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking of doing a strength/pyromancy build, any suggestions for weapons, class to start off as, stats, etc?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 01:12 PM PDT

    As the title says.

    submitted by /u/Cheesybutters3
    [link] [comments]

    Why is heides tower of flame to missed placed from the view of Majula

    Posted: 16 May 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    Huntsman’s Copse is annoying as shit...

    Posted: 16 May 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    I think I've died about 20 times in my attempts to get up across the bridge to the boss fight. Here's what makes it so annoying though...the area isn't that hard!

    I've been invaded and killed in the midst of battle five times before I burned an effigy, I've fallen off the bridge about six times, I've pulled all of those torturers on the way to the bridge accidentally twice and then got sandwiched between the first torturer and the sickle giant a few times getting owned from behind.

    The enemies on their own don't present much of a challenge but all these little things keep happening and it's driving me nuts.

    I hate that I like these games. It's too stressful.

    submitted by /u/jonvon191
    [link] [comments]

    Wiki won't load for me so

    Posted: 16 May 2020 12:33 PM PDT

    Where does one find petrified somethings? Like the title says, the wiki won't load for me so that's why I'm asking you guys.

    submitted by /u/masterninja3402
    [link] [comments]

    How does magic compare in DS remastered

    Posted: 16 May 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    I just beat DS 2 using a hex build. I wanted to go back and try magic on DS remastered. Any tips?

    submitted by /u/alexanderneimet
    [link] [comments]

    Flexile Sentry

    Posted: 15 May 2020 10:27 PM PDT

    Putting this guy in between the bonfire and the Lost Sinner and having him respawn between deaths is some next level cruelty

    submitted by /u/CSpineMcGee
    [link] [comments]

    Beat Fume Knight first try on my first playthrough BUT

    Posted: 16 May 2020 08:10 AM PDT

    Guess what killed me 8 times? The smelter demon and its boss run

    I was preparing to get my ass kicked by Fume considering his reputation but it turned out i managed him just as well as most humanoid bosses... I left a pure luck message anyway

    submitted by /u/Huze_Fostage
    [link] [comments]

    Mandatory Mods for DS2 on PC

    Posted: 16 May 2020 11:33 AM PDT

    I have played DS2 and SotFS on console, and I am having the itch to play it on PC with the Augur of Darkness mod. I was wondering what were some mandatory mods to use (or if they are even compatible with Augur of Darkness)

    submitted by /u/beefyliltank
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment