• Breaking News

    Friday, October 4, 2019

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Fashion Friday.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Fashion Friday.


    /r/DarkSouls - Fashion Friday.

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 11:09 PM PDT

    What does your current PvP character look like? If your character has a back story to go with their personal fashion statement we'd like to hear that, too!

    Don't forget to check out /r/fashionsouls for all of your fashion needs.


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Return to Boletaria to start on October 4th, ending on the 13th!

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 10:40 AM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    As planned last year, the yearly event comes back!

    To commemorate the day this wonderful game got released in western markets, Return to Boletaria will be officially starting on October 4th, and will continue on until October 13th. This way we can have a full official week instead of 'ending' on a Friday (October 11th).

    As usual, we encourage every player, old and new, to participate and interact with Demon's Souls online mechanics. Any kind of participation is encouraged, even if not actively seeking to invade or be summoned.

    By simply playing the game while being connected, you are leaving your imprints with your ghosts, your bloodstains and your messages (reading, writing and rating is heavily encouraged). Only with this you will already be creating a meaningful impact on Boletaria, making it feel alive for the community as a whole.

    We would also appreciate anything you can do to raise awareness on the private server, and try and dispel the thought of Demon's Souls being dead, as well as how to connect to the private server.

    For now we do not have any plans for manually changing the global world tendency given the relatively recent advances on custom tendency options. But it might change (maybe half-week White, half-week Black), but we will see. Feedback is appreciated on this.

    Remember to check out how to connect to the private server here if you are new to all of this. In that stickied post you can find all the info you need to play Demon's Souls online and the Discord community in case you feel like organizing multiplayer sessions or just chatting. Feel free to drop a comment in case you need help with the private server itself and be sure to check the troubleshooting section.

    Umbasa.

    Note: I have been allowed by the moderation team to post this on other subs in the hopes of raising awareness on Demon's Souls' private server status, as well as the event itself.

    submitted by /u/Sentuh
    [link] [comments]

    Do you believe that Dark Souls 1 is a Modern Classic ?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 06:29 AM PDT

    I drew Solaire!

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 09:45 PM PDT

    Dragon Slayer Ornstein FULL Resin Statue from First4Figures!! Exclusive Edition!! {#525 / 1300}

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 10:31 PM PDT

    I finally got my statue!!!!! I pre ordered this day one, nearly two years ago!!!!!!! Dimensions are 26"H 22"W 31"D and ~25lbs!! The lightning spear lights up too ;)

    https://imgur.com/gallery/5Q9pSld

    submitted by /u/ragenbake
    [link] [comments]

    Was asked to draw Artorias for day2: Mindless

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 12:04 PM PDT

    Insanity of the Zweihander Part 2

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 07:15 PM PDT

    Been using Zweihander for my current playthrough, posted already about how much it trivialised the Gargoyles for me. Made it to Anor Londo, and managed to beat Ornstein and Smough first time. My jaw hit the floor when this happened, as O&S had always been on the harder end of boss fights for me (took 6 hours and dozens of deaths to kill them in my first playthrough). But between R2 stunning Ornstein and Smough getting staggered every few hits, they never had a chance. This kind of power is unreal, and the fact that it's found so early in the game is just crazy. I love it.

    submitted by /u/Dwargen
    [link] [comments]

    Inktober Day 3: Bait

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 06:45 AM PDT

    Dark Souls Inktober 3

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 11:14 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/JNsNNS7

    They hide their faces, stifle their voices and hide in the shadows.

    submitted by /u/ninjakitty7
    [link] [comments]

    Inktober: Dark Souls style

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 11:06 PM PDT

    dark souls anniversary event?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 11:38 PM PDT

    In 2 years (I know it's far away) on 22/9/21, it will be dark soul's 10th anniversary. Now, for me at least, this is a huge celebration of a game that has blessed my console, and bought me moments of pure happiness, accomplishment, and at times shear despair. So on this day, I think all of us should come back to Lordran once again, and go back through the game maybe alone, or with others among the community. Even if it's just a stoicism tourney we do. At least I think it's a good idea. Tell me what yall think and if you all have any ideas

    submitted by /u/Jmittch
    [link] [comments]

    An interesting discussion about Souls-likes from Twitter

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 07:56 PM PDT

    It was posited by someone on Twitter that "Souls-likes" are becoming their own sort of genre. Someone else suggested further that much like "FPS" Replaced "Doom-clone" We need a new word for "Souls-Likes." My Suggestion was "Slugfest RPGs." (Or SFRPGs.)

    What would you call this emergent genre if you were allowed to call it something other than "Souls-like?"

    submitted by /u/proudtogeek
    [link] [comments]

    I wish the egghead mechanic was fleshed out more especially since the remastered versions didn’t improve upon it

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 02:54 PM PDT

    The mechanic in blighttown where you get an egghead happens when you get grabbed by the blight puss enemies at the beginning and end of qualaggs boss fight, than you go through a really unique sequence where you scratch your head a bunch until you get the blight egg that replaces your head gear slot and cannot be removed without a cure you can get from the covenant vendor for the chaos servants. This mechanic is an interesting one but I wished that it would've allowed you to infect other players with the blight puss especially since once you get 200000 souls the egg gets bigger and allows you to perform the same attack as the blight puss enemies. I think it would be really cool to have a player specific disease that can be passed from player to player through invasions and summons especially since not many players even know about this mechanic.

    submitted by /u/donkeybon
    [link] [comments]

    Goddamnit

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 10:18 AM PDT

    What to do!?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2019 01:17 AM PDT

    Alright guys i have a bit if a situation In almost at the end of dark souls 1 im not interested in the platinum or ng+ not yet at least But with the PlayStation offers i managed to grab DS 2 and 3 for really cheap price Now in November i will get sekiro as a birthday present ( already ask my girlfriend) So i have time to olayy one game before that
    Should i continue with DS2 or go to the third one ? I will eventually play them all i was just thinking after the first one maybe the third is a bit more refreshing and nicer to look at before sekiro

    submitted by /u/dt1013
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts after beating Ornstein and Smough

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 12:12 PM PDT

    Having restarted the game a few times since 2013 and never having gotten further than the bonfire right after the Taurus Demon due to feeling overwhelmed by where to go and what to do, I finally decided to make a serious attempt at beating Dark Souls. So far, it's been nerve-wracking but very fun. I haven't felt like this since back when the NES and SNES taught me to memorize everything and play through segments again and again until I could win near flawlessly.

    Boss experiences:

    Taurus Demon: I had already beaten him in previous files so this was an easy one on the first try.

    Gargoyles: I lost about 7 or 8 times before I decided to use humanity and summon Solaire and Lautrec, who beat them easily. I still think this is a ridiculous fight because the gargoyles have such range and maneuverability, and there are two of them acting independently.

    Gaping Dragon: 5 deaths or so before I realized I could safely stay close. One time it hit me with a massive aerial body slam out of nowhere that one-shot me from full health but the next attempt was easy. I actually used the Drake Sword here for the first time because my Astora Straight Sword was low on durability.

    Capra Demon: actually only took me about 4 attempts. I got lucky and hit with two plunging attacks on the final try, almost died, and panicked and hit him enough to kill him as he was about to finish me off.

    Quelaag: got her on the first try with the Drake Sword since I still hadn't repaired the Astora Straight Sword and hadn't upgraded any weapons (I was waiting to get the BSS). It was easy to read her tells and aside from getting hit by the massive explosion a few times, the fight was simple.

    Iron Golem: took about 8 tries. I tried summoning Tarkus the first time but he was stuck behind the fog gate. By this time I had a +10 Balder Side Sword and the lightning spear, so I was a little discouraged that I wasn't doing much damage despite having around 25 Dexterity. Still, once I stopped panicking and getting thrown off ledges it was fine.

    Then I got to Anor Londo. I have to say, this area really felt great. The silver knights were potentially dangerous but manageable once I learned their move sets, and it really felt like I was fighting a duel with a human opponent. Trading lunges with the thrust attack in my BSS was a lot of fun. I only died at the part with three winged demons and the archers, the titanite demon, and the Royal Sentinels with their absurd full heals on demand. The enemies were varied, the architecture was amazing, the scenarios I faced, like the rafter fight and the archer gauntlet, were very cool and the challenge was very well balanced.

    Then I got to Ornstein and Smough. I had heard about how these guys were considered the pinnacle of DS1's challenge, so I was pretty intimidated going in. Within around five attempts I beat Smough, but Super Ornstein basically stunlocked me right after. I then spent another fifteen or so tries before taking a little time away from the game to see if I could figure out a strategy. I changed from Black Leather to Hard Leather armor, which helped a bit, and I killed Lautrec for his ring, which also helped. I also ditched my Dragoncrest Shield, which had served me well for a long time (100% damage reduction is great), and went for full dodging.

    After another five tries or so it finally clicked. I found that I had been psyching myself out about he prospect of being hit even once, and having to stand up, dodge to hopefully avoid being stunlocked, and hopefully find a few seconds to recover. When I did get an opening, I was too eager to exploit it so I could end the fight quickly and thereby avoid dying. In other words, I felt so panicked that I was missing the point of the fight, and probably of Dark Souls in general.

    Before DS, I played Salt and Sanctuary, which by the way is an excellent 2D Souls/Metroidvania you should definitely try. In that game, I learned that my usual highly defensive style was useless because I never took the proper initiative in boss fights. By trying to avoid getting hit at all costs and keeping my distance, I ironically made it way harder to win. The secret in S&S is to dodge through attacks and hit really hard and fast, as quickly and often as you can, because the likelihood of winning drops the more attacks the boss is allowed to make.

    I thought that mindset would work here, but I was mistaken. Instead, I focused on simply getting into the sweet spot and taking my time. I had made it to phase 2 of the O&S fight almost every time on my second set of attempts, but I was dismayed to see how little my BSS was hurting Ornstein (and I didn't even bother trying the lightning spear). Predictably, I panicked and he ended up getting me while I tried to bait out attacks from a medium distance. But the final time, I stayed right under him and only dodged to avoid his lightning body slam and lightning spear impale. More importantly, I didn't even look at his health bar or the numbers coming from my attacks. For the final portion of the fight, I didn't get hit once and just settled into the tempo of moving and attacking. Soon enough, he hit the floor and I had done it.

    And with that, I feel like I finally figured out how the game works. People say the game is hard, and to an extent it is. You have to be conservative most of the time, as making mistakes or failing to learn patterns will punish you every time, and deservedly so. But instead of mechanical difficulty, I think the greatest difficulty the game delivers is through intimidation, apparent pressure, and fear.

    Pretty much everything in Lordran looks ominous, threatening, horrifying, unnatural, or all of the above, but when you have the courage to actually face what's ahead, it's really not so bad. I was freaked out by the basilisks in the Depths and the spiders and wall tentacle in Blighttown despite never even getting hit once by any of them at any point. The black knights early on, and later the Berenike Knights and Sentinels, were imposing until I actually fought them. Once you get past the psychological impact of the character designs, everything is a lot more manageable. Even the biggest, toughest looking enemies won't kill you in one hit, and they are still killable. Now that I've learned the value of courage in Dark Souls, I feel like I'm ready for anything.

    Edit: maybe it's just me, but another thing that helped me was that from the very first time I faced them, I recognized that Ornstein is just an upscaled silver knight and Smough is just an upscaled Sentinel, with a few added tricks. Did anyone else feel that way?

    submitted by /u/throw-away451
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling Alone

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 02:38 PM PDT

    Any one want to have some jolly cooperation on the Switch?

    submitted by /u/DoggerOfWisdom
    [link] [comments]

    Can I save solaire and get his gear?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 05:23 PM PDT

    There a way to complete his story and nab his gear? And if not when he goes insane with a sunlight maggot on him and you kill him will he drop his sword/set? or is the only way to get them thru murdering him when he's idle somewhere

    submitted by /u/Dampino
    [link] [comments]

    Gwynevere fanart! (probably NSFW)

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 06:59 PM PDT

    Here. CCW!

    Also, here's something I did of Yorshka. I love my DS girls.

    submitted by /u/hugegrape
    [link] [comments]

    Would anybody happen to know how to make a xanthous costume?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 12:50 PM PDT

    As you all know, tis the month of spook and in celebration most people dress up in extravagant costumes; well for this year I was planning on going dressed in a set of xanthous "armour", however I haven't a clue on how to make the bloody thing and I can't find a guide online, so I was wondering if any of you knew how to make this bad boy.

    I should also add that I can't spend too much on it.

    submitted by /u/LordCheesington
    [link] [comments]

    Concluding My First Adventure in a FromSoftware Game

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 12:44 PM PDT

    Background Story: I bought my first ever console ever last Friday, the PlayStation 4. I've played on PC since I was a kid and never thought I would go for any other options - till I saw Bloodborne. So Best Buy had a sale for a brand new PlayStation 4 Slim for $180 and I figured I couldn't pass it up. So after my purchase of the console, I went to Game Stop, purchased the DARK SOULS Trilogy, and Bloodborne Game of the Year Edition, I was very happy, yet confused - I didn't know if I wanted to play Bloodborne First or finish the trilogy in chronological order first. I ended up starting in this order: DS Remastered > DSII SotFS > DS3 FFE > Bloodborne.

    The Adventure: I started my first ever Dark Souls playthrough starting as a knight, died to the first boss like 6 times then realized that I could have just ran from it to attack it later once I'm equipped to fight. I thought the game had a pretty awesome world so I thoroughly explored to find everything I could. As I progressed through the game, I finally reached Sens Fortress, a true test of my patience, afterwards, I managed to knock the Golem off the edge somehow. When I came across Anor Londo, "The City of Gods". I was truly amazed. I was in complete shock because oh how beautiful and unique the area was. Walking on the rafters and going through the archers were a nightmare and a half. Ornstein and Smough - a perfect, well-designed fight. Ornstein and Smough was an awesome experience, taking me many tries, I couldn't get mad, I loved this fight dearly. I moved on and accessed the second part of the game and found the known Knight Artorias, then Manus, then Kalameet, all awesome fights. Afterwards, I fought Sif, a sad fight for sure. Moved on to the catacombs, Tomb of the Giants, hated this place. Seath was pretty ok, not the best, Bed of Chaos was pretty obnoxious.

    Conclusion: I was feeling weird after finishing Dark Souls, I was happy but sad, knowing I will never have a first playthrough of this game, ever again. So now, I get to move on to Dark Souls 2, Scholar of the First Sin!

    submitted by /u/ProZenthus
    [link] [comments]

    Just got Dark Souls for ps3. Any tips for a newcomer?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 02:23 PM PDT

    I finished DS2 and I was so in love with that game that I felt I needed more.

    Best class? Best weapons early on? Effective-fun builds for a first playthrough? Things I should absolutely avoid doing? Anything you think might help me?

    submitted by /u/I_A_G_T
    [link] [comments]

    Best spot for being summoned?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 11:59 AM PDT

    I'm a SL 35 +10 weapon. I have no problem invading people but I've tried multiple different locations, Anor Londo, Blighttown, Sens, Etc. And I haven't gotten a single summon. Where's the best spot for my level?

    I also have gone through a big chunk of the game, past four kings and Artorias, and I'm a Darkwraith. Idk if that affects matchmaking or not.

    submitted by /u/OGBernard
    [link] [comments]

    Chaos Blade double self-damage

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 08:06 AM PDT

    Has anyone encountered any situation where the CB inflicts double self-damage? I was doing a CB build for pvp last night and I noticed that during the Four Kings fight I was taking 40 damage for each strike, and I can't find anything about it, so I got curious. Why would that have happened and are there any other situations where it happens? For sure it's not any of the rings I'm or was wearing (FAP/DWGR), and it's not the Covenant of Artorias either (just tested in demon ruins).

    submitted by /u/TainakaRicchan
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment