• Breaking News

    Friday, August 13, 2021

    Dark Souls To the guy who had me carry him through the undead parish just to send me home at the gargoyle door:

    Dark Souls To the guy who had me carry him through the undead parish just to send me home at the gargoyle door:


    To the guy who had me carry him through the undead parish just to send me home at the gargoyle door:

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 07:11 PM PDT

    Who raised you? Seek professional help.

    submitted by /u/Jordan-7890
    [link] [comments]

    I've been playing Dark Souls since it's release date. Ask Me Anything.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 07:42 AM PDT

    Let's have a fun discussion about our favorite game.

    submitted by /u/Gay_Charlie
    [link] [comments]

    Friendly reminder that next month is a DARK SOULS' 10TH ANNIVERSARY, I didn't see anyone talking about this so thought I'd remind everyone who didn't know.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 11:57 AM PDT

    Unpopular opinion: Tomb of giants is great.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 11:31 AM PDT

    I played the game again a few days ago and when I got to Tomb of the giants I had mixed feelings. I always liked the area in my head, but I always hear people talk about how terrible it is. I went in and I tried to hate it.. but I can't. I'm sorry, I just love this area.

    The main thing people hate on is the fact that it's dark in there. While this is true, there are many clever ways to get around the darkness. Firstly there is the lantern obviously. One thing that I love about the lantern is that you don't get it at the start of the area. You get it after a few minutes in it, which means that when you find it for the first time, you let out a huge sigh of relief. But the lantern comes at a cost, which is that you have to sacrifice one of your hands to use it. People with shields now have to play more aggressively and people with two handed weapons deal less damage. This forces you to not only be more careful because you see less, but also because you just lost a hand to explore the area with.
    Secondly: You can see the eyes of some enemies through the dark. It's almost like a horror game, where you suddenly see two light points running at you. While playing this area, I actually got scared so hard that I screamed "WOOOOOO!" which is more than most horror games ever did for me.
    Thirdly: There are lots of other clever ways to get around in the dark. You can throw stuff down pits to see if they are deep or if you are smart you can wear the sun helemt from lost izalith, which gives you light without needing to give up a hand, like those two did.

    The only light you see in the area (before the ending) is the hell lava of demon ruins, which makes you feel even more hopeless. And the feeling of seeing a bonefire in the dark and then slowely going towards it, hoping that noting just at you from the sides is both thrilling and amazing to me.
    There are also some really neat quests you can finish/do down there like Patches who kicks you down into a hole, only to find Reah with her hollowed knights down there. It's a dark, sad and fitting end to them and you even get the choice to kill Patches, which is really tempting after what he did to you and maybe even Reah.

    Then at the end of the area, you finally see light again and it's beautiful. You know that you got through the worst, but there is still one more challange to come in form of Nito.
    Also using Peenwheel as an normal enemie worked well, since he literally feels like one. The enemies down there are great in generell. Sure they're all just spooky, spooky skeletons but I think that the baby ones and the.. dog ones (?) are not just cool but also dangerous even for pro players. Especailly the baby ones at the end are disturbing.

    Asfor Nito himself, I like him. The boss isn't perfect and it could be better, but he is my favorit of the 4 lord-souls. Most people give that spot to the 4-kings and while I like them a lot, I always prefered Nito.
    Nito deals massive amounts of damage but is *VERY* slow. He has skeletons with him that will attack you, but the twist is that Nito can hit his own skeletons. So you have to dance around Nitos attack, while making sure that he hits his skeletons so you can have time to hit Nito and deal damage while the skeletons return. Nito also has a large attack, where everything around him gets damage. This is a perfect opportunity for the player to attack Nito, because he probably kills all of his skeletons with it. However if you aren't careful, the skeletons could swarm you while he does this attack, leaving you no way to escape until you get hit and probably even killed by Nito's large attack.
    And even if you run away from Nito to maybe control the skeletons, he can still hit you with an attack where he rams his sword into the ground and lets it come out under you. It's really tight to dodge, which means that if you aren't good at it, you should probably stay on him.
    And once again, if you play smart you can beat the fight with ease because divine weapons prevents the skeletons from respawning which makes sense lore wise if you pay attention.

    So yeah, amazing area in my opinion and I don't understand the hate. It's not my favorit, that spot belongs to Blight town which is my favorit area in all Souls games, but Tomb of gians is probably in my top 5 favorit ones from Dark Souls 1 and in my top 15 of all souls games.

    submitted by /u/Heyguysloveyou
    [link] [comments]

    the four kings is the easiest fight ever or was I over leveled?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 09:02 AM PDT

    going through that whole creepy area just to kill the boss in under a minute may be the most underwhelming thing that has happened to me whilst playing a game

    submitted by /u/PieNo9067
    [link] [comments]

    Pygmies and Humans

    Posted: 13 Aug 2021 03:01 AM PDT

    Can we prove the pygmies to be humans? I am writing my book about the deepest secrets of Dark Souls and your help would save me a long research, as till now I didn't find explicit evidences.

    It would be enough to prove that the terms pygmy and human are interchangeable trough crossing some quotes and descriptions. Any idea? Please don't transform the comments in a discussion about Manus being or being not the Furtive Pygmy :)

    submitted by /u/The_Nameless_Simone
    [link] [comments]

    Question on pronunciation on Ornstein

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 10:03 PM PDT

    So I recently found out from a post here that the mass concensus for Sough is to pronounce it Smō.

    So my question is what is the mass concensus for pronouncing Ornstein. Is it Ornstine sounding like Frankenstein, or is it Ornsteen like TEENage mutant ninja turtles?

    Interested in hearing the mass concensus. Thank you all in advance.

    Sincerely,

    Someone who can't read good

    submitted by /u/The_iron_lung
    [link] [comments]

    Sen's fortress isn't bullshit

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 07:59 PM PDT

    I just completed sens fortress and defeat iron golem and its not as hard or unfair i only died twice do to boulder and not knowing how tanky the enemies are.

    submitted by /u/The_Fat_Gamer69
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any good builds for a PvP noob?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 07:57 PM PDT

    I'm exclusively a PvE kinda guy but I'd like to give PvP a try without getting ruthlessly crapped on. Any good build suggestions for a noob?

    submitted by /u/nudderthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie looking for pointers

    Posted: 13 Aug 2021 03:17 AM PDT

    Hey guys. I just got a copy of Darksouls Remastered on pc. I've never played the game but I've heard all about how it's difficult and stuff. I really want to enjoy the experience. Any tips on how to get gud? Is it as difficult as people say it is? Any suggestions on how to play?

    submitted by /u/forlonPeanut
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Platinum guide help, sorceries/miracles/pyromancies.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 11:54 PM PDT

    Hello fellow undeads,

    so little background. I have played all 3 souls game, finished them, some of them few times. So far I was literally only playing with str/dex/quality builds and actually never used any spell, miracle or anything and I have 0 understanding how it works.

    I would like to give a shot to platinum trophy in DSR and I do understand how to do all of them, except for the ones where you need to get all sorceries/miracles/pyromancies. How does that work, do you need to have a character who can actually cast them, or do you just need to buy them / find them somewhere. Is there perhaps some guide how to do all of those 3 achievments (all sorc/mira/pyro) in one or few playthroughs?

    Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

    Don't you guys dare to go hollow.

    submitted by /u/CarefulAssist9
    [link] [comments]

    My Longsword +10 does little damage against S& O

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 11:40 PM PDT

    What should I do?

    I read that in order to get to +11 need to get a very large amber. But i don't think that's an option now.

    submitted by /u/WinterMixture8
    [link] [comments]

    I just finished my WHIP ONLY Dark Souls 1 run

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 05:32 AM PDT

    This was the first time I attempted a challenge run in a souls title, and boy how fun has this one been. I don't know why I decided to start with this one, but I really enjoyed this playthrough, most of the times atleast. The rules I had set for this challenge were pretty simple and they were:

    • No weapons except for the whip, the notched whip and the guardian tail
    • No sorceries, pyromancies or miracles
    • No consumables picked up or bought
    • No summoning
    • No bugs/glitches
    • No bosses left alive
    • No rushing areas, I had to pick up every item I saw

    These were the rules I set for myself, but other limitations which came from using only whips were that I couldn't reposte after a parry, backstab or use a plunging attack.

    I decided to start with the Thief class (I needed to have the Master Key to get the whip from Blighttown immediatly after landing in Lordran) and Black Firebombs as starting gift so I could kill the Asylum Demon without using the fists and a couple of bombs were needed later in the run. I decided to put the required level in dexterity early to do acceptable damage, then I put all the levels in Vitality and Endurance for the rest of the playthrough, because I realised that I needed to be able to tank some hits if the damage output was this bad, in particular against certain bosses. This also meant I had to rely on infusions which don't require any scaling, so I could avoid putting useless levels in damaging stats.

    The final build of my character was:

    1. Level 100: Vitality 50 ; Attunement 11 ; Endurance 62 ; Strenght 9 ; Dexterity 16 ; Resistance 10 ; Intelligence 12 ; Faith 11
    2. My final weapons were a Lightning Whip +5 and a Fire Notched Whip +10
    3. With the Havel's and Faith&Protection Rings I reached 1800 health and around 180kg carry potential, enabling me to still fast roll with quite heavy armor on. I didn't have a fixed armor set, but I usually kept on 2/3 heavy armor pieces and a light helmet

    Overall the worst part has definitely been the beginning of the game, when I needed multiple hits even to kill the most basic enemies, considering I was not levelling up my damaging stats. With patiece I mostly killed every boss either first or second try until Quelaag when, due to a definitely-not-frustrating bug, my character got stuck under her legs and died a couple of times because getting out was impossible. After reaching Anor Londo and finally being able to get my second whip and infuse my first one, my damage output became almost acceptable. Other particularly difficult bosses were the dynamic duo Ornestein & Smough, requiring 4 tries, and Artorias and Manus, who together required 6 tries. These 3 bossfights were harder than the other mainly because the damage output was ridiculously low making these already difficult fights also very long, requiring nearly a hundred of hits to kill them. All the other bossfights were however first or second tries, so atleast not every bossfight was a torture.

    In the end, I can say to be proud of myself after completing this challenge and happy about the final build of my character.

    submitted by /u/EMP_IBinfinity
    [link] [comments]

    I beat Dark Souls Any% without dying again, this time with Black Knight Halberd because someone asked, here's how

    Posted: 13 Aug 2021 04:13 AM PDT

    TL;DR can be found before the full guide, after rules.

    Me again. In my last deathless guide post, u/lowzycat asked:

    Ok, but why don't we use BKH?

    The reasoning originally was because I didn't want to have to reset my runs until I got one, but I decided to see what changes I'd have to make to my route in order to meet the required stats for the Black Knight Halberd to use early enough in the run to make it worth it.

    Turns out, not much. It also makes the run quite a bit safer, because they can't kill you if you kill them first!

    I have a video with a live-commentary explaining what I'm doing, if a bit rambly compared to my first live commentary deathless video. I will be referencing the video in the written guide as it does a much better job showing how to get through areas where specific pathing is needed. The written guide also assumes you've beaten the game once or twice and can make your way around the game world as well as know the location of items mentioned. If you don't know the locations or paths to take, check the video, you'll see where to go!

    What is any%?
    Any% commonly refers to beating the game without killing all of the bosses in the game.

    Rules:
    No quit-outs (can't quit out to reset enemy positions or prevent death / damage from falling)
    No summons (can't summon other players or NPCs)
    No glitches (wrong warp, out of bounds, item duplication)
    No duke skip (1 mandatory death to progress game is not counted, personal choice)

    TL;DR:
    Bandit with Master key.
    Get Black Knight Halberd.
    Taurus - Gargoyles - Quelaag - Sen's Fortress - O&S - Seath (No duke skip) - Buy Crest - Moonlight Butterfly (Divine Ember) - Sif - 4 Kings - Bed of Chaos (covenant shortcut, firebombs) - Make Divine Battle Axe - Pinwheel - Nito (Use divine weapon) - Gwyn

    Full guide:
    1. Character Creation

    • Class: Bandit
    • Gift: Master Key

    2. Undead Asylum

    • Use a two-handed jump attack off the platform above Asylum Demon, that way you'll hit him twice (once with jump attack and once with the plunge itself) due to his hitbox
    • Collect hidden soul on path to Raven taxi

    3. Firelink Shrine

    • Make sure to sit at bonfire once you get here for 10x Estus and reset point
    • Collecting items in the order I wrote them down seems to be the most efficient way to path through this and save time while being safe from Catacombs skeletons:
      • Hidden soul on Catacombs side of Frampt pit
      • Soul near Undead Parish elevator
      • Homeward Bones
      • Soul above Frampt pit
      • Firebombs
      • Humanity

    4. Valley of Drakes

    • Use the elevator under Firelink Shrine
    • Collect the soul that's to the left as you exit the elevator
    • Head towards the Valley of Drakes gate and open it with the Master Key
    • Collect the soul right behind the door as you open it
    • Cross the makeshift bridge and head towards the rotting dragon on the ledge
      • Pick up the item furthest from you that the dragon is "guarding", it's a Soul worth 2k souls and will not trigger the dragon
    • Keep going past the blue drakes and head to the elevator into Darkroot Basin

    5. Darkroot Basin

    • Exit the cave and kill the Black Knight
      • Easiest way is to knock him off the edge with a backstab
      • If he doesn't drop the Black Knight Halberd, reset your run (or use a mod to add in the item if you aren't adhering to any rules and are doing it just for fun)
    • Collect Grass Crest Shield and equip it
    • Collect soul in Hydra area (it's the first item you see as you approach the area, no enemies will reach you if you grab it)
    • Head up towards Darkroot Garden,
    • On the way there, collect Leather armor, Longbow and 16 Feather Arrows (need the Longbow and arrows for later in the run, you can drop the Leather armor)
    • Kill the crystal lizard for the Twinkling Titanite used to upgrade the Black Knight Halberd

    6. Darkroot Garden

    • Kill all of the shrub guys and collect the Soul between them and the gate/bonfire
    • Optional: Collect shrub guy loot to maybe get Purple Moss Clump or Blooming Purple Moss Clump, this helps take care of the poison effect you inevitably get when you go to Blighttown
    • Head to Undead Parish bonfire

    7. Undead Parish pt. 1

    • Use all collected souls and level your Strength to 22, with the rest of your points going into Dex (12 at this point unless you missed souls)
    • Kill Berenike knight in front of altar, collect the Titanite Shard he drops and collect Fire Keeper Soul
    • Head upstairs and beat the snot out of what feels like 300 hollows
    • Kill the Channeler, make sure to wait until he walks away from the edge he stands on, otherwise hitting him will knock him down and you'll have a hard time reaching him safely
    • Collect soul hanging from balcony near Channeler / Hollows
    • Free Lautrec using Master Key
    • Collect Humanity from corpse in a barrel near Lautrec

    8. Firelink Shrine

    • Head to Firelink Shrine using elevator shortcut
    • Rest at the bonfire
    • Kick Lautrec of the edge like he deserves
    • Reinforce Estus flask
    • Use a Homeward Bone (resets the area, spawns in the items Lautrec drops)
    • Use any souls you might have and level up Dexterity (should be 15 unless you missed some souls)

    9. Undead Burg

    • Head to Undead Burg
    • Grab the Ring of Sacrifice by doing a jump that always makes me nervous even though I haven't fallen off the map there since 2013 when I first played the game
    • Run through Undead Burg grabbing any and all souls you can collect in the area, describing this in text would probably be more confusing than not, so I suggest checking the video (link plays from start of Undead Burg)
    • Do NOT use the bonfire in Undead Burg, so you can Homeward Bone back to Firelink and save a bunch of time
    • Collect the 5 Black Firebombs from the chest shortly after the bonfire (near the locked shortcut to Lower Undead Burg)
    • Kill Black Knight guarding Blue Tearstone Ring
    • Collect and equip Blue Tearstone ring (no other ring to use for the majority of the run, may as well use it)
    • Collect Gold Pine Resin (use master key for door)
    • Head to Taurus Demon
    • On the top floor of the tower before the fog gate, kill the crystal lizard hiding in a barrel for 2 more Twinkling Titanite
    • 2h Battle Axe with Gold Pine Resin buff = 1 plunge + 2 hits for stagger and then finish him off
    • Head to Hellkite drake bridge
    • Collect soul hidden in boxes at top of stairs
    • Trigger Hellkite drake (walk onto bridge then run back to stairs to avoid the fire)
    • After Hellkite drake kills some of the hollow soldiers and you get the souls, use a Homeward Bone

    10. Bell Gargoyles

    • Level Dexterity to 18, if you don't have enough souls, kill enemies until you do, but if you followed the route, you should have enough souls
    • Two handing the Black Knight Halberd now lets you use it
    • You have to unequip all other gear otherwise you will medium roll, we can resolve this by leveling Endurance later on
    • Head to Gargoyles
    • 1 hit will do a tail cut on the first Gargoyle
    • Trigger the fight and head as far away from the bell tower as possible to put more space between you and the 2nd gargoyle
    • The other one will mostly breathe fire, when he does, going to your left hand side around him will avoid it if you're right in front of him when he starts huffin' and puffin'
    • Ring the bell after beating the crap out of Gargoyles
    • Slide back down those ladders and buy 1 Purging stone (used to remove Curse if mandatory death from Seath curses us) from Oswald of Carim
    • Learn best gesture in the game
    • Run to Andre, do NOT sit at the bonfire
    • Upgrade Black Knight Halberd to +3 and buy a Weapon Smithbox
    • Use a Homeward Bone

    11. Blighttown

    • Since we're just sprinting to Quelaag and not fighting anything, you can unequip the BKH and equip the Grass Crest Shield to increase stamina regen, letting you sprint more often
    • From the Firelink Shrine elevator, head to Valley of Drakes and cross the bridge and continue into Blighttown
    • Be ready to roll past the 3 guys in the cave, they can apply poison
    • Make your way down the ladders to the elevator, be careful not to get hit by toxic blow darts on your way to the elevator, if you do, you may have to homeward bone out if you don't have a Blooming Purple Moss Clump
    • Once you're down at the bottom, path towards Quelaag's Domain in such a way that you go between the fire bug enemy thing and the branch/root near it, this way you won't trigger the guys with boulders
    • Optional: Once you cross the poison muck, use a Purple moss to get rid of poison if you got one earlier
    • Go to Quelaag

    12. Quelaag

    • Make sure you never have lava behind you so you don't step into it, get staggered and then get hit
    • When she hugs the head of her spider... body... thing, get the heck away from her, she'll explode which can oneshot you if you're naked

    14. Ceaseless Discharge

    • After killing Quelaag, ring the bell and head down to Ceaseless Discharge
    • Since we don't need the BKH to kill Ceaseless, you can unequip it and equip the Grass Crest Shield again
    • Do NOT activate or sit at either of the bonfires near Quelaag, we want to use a Homeword Bone to get back to Firelink Shrine rather than pathing up Blighttown, as it's slower and more dangerous
    • Use the gimmick to kill Ceaseless
    • The gimmick is to pick up the items near Ceaseless, wait for him to do his first swing, then just sprint straight to the fog gate, he'll jump after you, get stuck and you can hit him until he dies
    • Use Homeward Bone after cinematic for killing Ceaseless

    13. Sen's Fortress

    • In Firelink, use any souls you have and level Strength to 27-28 (up to you) and after that you can put the rest of your points into whatever you want
      • BKH has horrible scaling (D Strength, E Dexterity) so putting points into other stats may be better
      • I prefer Endurance as later on after a few more levels it lets me equip both BKH and GCS without medium rolling
      • I also put points into Vitality, just to make up for the fact we don't have any armor on
    • We stop at 26-28 Strength because 2 handing us 41-42 Strength, effectively
    • Head to the Undead Parish elevator shortcut
    • Run to Iron Golem, no seriously, just run all the way there
    • Run past everything, make sure you don't get staggered, safest option is to run down the boulder path after the first place you see a boulder (where it knocks the snake dude over)
      • best off viewing the video (link plays from start of Sen's Fortress)
    • Kill giant that throws bombs before fighting Iron Golem to make it easier

    14. Iron Golem

    • Gimmick boss, dealing 500~ damage below his knees will stagger him, dealing another 300~ below the knees will knock him over completely
    • To hit him below the knees with the BKH, the easiest thing to use is roll into light attack, this does a horizontal swipe that hits Iron Golem below the knee
    • Lining him up so when you knock him over he goes over the edge is how you use the gimmick to beat him slightly more quickly

    15. Anor Londo

    • Use souls and level whatever you like, I prefer endurance so I can equip Longbow, BKH and GCS while still fast rolling
    • Take elevator down
    • Optional: Kill lightning gargoyle for souls
    • Traverse The Rafters
    • Deal with the lightning demon/gremlin things and the Anor Londo Archery Club
    • Use the stairwell jump skip to get to O&S

    16. Ornstein and Smough

    • Keep a pillar between you and Smough at all times
    • Keep Smough in your line of sight as much as possible, the longer you don't see him, the sooner he'll smash you with his hammer
    • Kill Ornstein first unless you're a masochist and want to deal with Super Ornstein for some reason
      • Two hits from the BKH will stagger Ornstein
    • Once Ornstein is dead, just keep a pillar between you and Super Smough and punish his attacks with running attacks
      • Don't hit him more than once, because if he does the big jump-butt stomp attack, you might not have enough stamina to roll out and it can one shot you

    17. Seath

    • After getting the Lordvessel, level up and teleport to Firelink Shrine
    • Talk to Frampt and place the Lordvessel
    • From the Lordvessel, warp to Anor Londo
    • Head to Duke's Archives
    • Kill or run past boars at entrance
    • Run past all the crystal hollows and the Channeler in the first room, I run behind the left bookshelf and then go up the stairs to the elevator
      • These crystal hollows can actually kill you if you're not careful, the way to minimize this risk is by running close to the ones with swords so they don't use their insanely quick jump attack at you
    • Use the elevator
    • Kill the weird crystal NPC that fat rolls at you menacingly
    • Kill the crystal lizard for two Twinkling Titanite
    • Die to Seath
      • This is a developer intended death, doesn't count for the deathless run, you can skip it with Duke Skip, I choose not to
    • You can avoid getting cursed by getting killed by his big explosion (look for the orb he "charges" at his chest), other attacks will most likely leave you cursed
      • If you get cursed, use the Purging Stone we bought from Oswald of Carim after Bell Gargoyles
    • Light and sit at the bonfire in your cell, you dirty prisoner
      • Reinforce the Black Knight Halberd to +4
    • Kill the dumbest prison guard in the history of existence and get the key
      • The basic light attack won't hit through the cell bars, you can use a roll into light attack to hit the guard or just punch him with your fist
    • After opening the cell and the cinematic ends / is skipped, use a Homeward Bone, this will reset the area, turning off the "music" and you won't have to fight the Pisacas (blue tentacle creatures at the bottom)
    • Grab the key in the chest to get out of the library prison (not to be confused with prison library)
    • Homeward Bone is faster than running back up, but you do you
    • Climb the ladder and make your way through the second segment of Duke's Archives by running to the other side where you can get on the rotating stairs
    • Rotate the stairs and go up them
    • Go to the other side where you can fall down onto the other set of stairs and do so
    • Rotate those stairs and go down them
    • Go to the ladder guarded by the crystal hollow archer
      • Protip: Take a few steps first until the arrow misses you, then slide down, otherwise you will most likely get hit by the arrow while you wait for the slide animation to start
    • Active the hidden staircase
    • Go into the Crystal Garden
    • Go into the Crystal Cave
      • Optional: Grab hidden Humanity on your way down
    • When you drop down to the last invisible crystal you can walk on that goes to the Seath boss room, immediately turn around and kill the 3 crystal lizards behind you to get the last 4 Twinkling Titanite you need
      • This will also give you a bunch of Blue Titanite Chunks and Green Titanite Shards you'll need later
    • Head to Seath boss room
    • Optional and strongly recommended: Kill all the clams before going to fight Seath, otherwise you'll be fighting both Seath and them
      • If you missed the crystal lizards, you can farm these guys for Twinkling Titanite (they also drop Purging Stones)
      • I recommend using a running attack to hit them, then backing away, then running attack again, this should kill them and keep you safe because they do a lot of damage
    • Fight Seath, he's pretty easy to kill, just make sure you run away when he does the big explosion (look for the ball of energy he "charges" at his chest)
    • Kill Seath
    • Reinforce Black Knight Halberd to +5 and level up, but be sure leave 20,000 souls
    • Warp to Undead Parish

    18. Moonlight Butterfly

    • Buy Crest of Artorias from Andre
    • Head to Darkroot Garden and open the gate using the Crest
    • Light and sit at the bonfire next to the gate
    • Head to Moonlight Butterfly
    • Wait for it to land and just beat the crap out of it, you do more than enough damage to kill it in one cycle
      • I suggest dodging through the slow moving projectiles and blocking the fast needle ones with your shield
    • Go up the tower after Moonlight Butterfly and pick up the items (Divine Ember is what we want)
    • Use Homeward Bone

    19. Sif

    • Go through gate you opened with Crest of Artorias
    • Stick to cliff edge on the left to avoid mage and knight with Claymore, they're the most likely to hit you
    • Run past Alvira and straight to Sif
    • Fight Sif
      • Stay underneath Sif
      • Dodge into her attacks to minimize the risk of getting hit, most of the time dodging straight at her will be ok too
      • Do NOT lock on, it'll only make it harder
    • After killing Sif, immediately put on the Covenant of Artorias ring so you don't forget, because I sure as heck do often enough to ruin my runs
    • Optional: Pick up the Hornet Ring behind the tombstone in the center of the room if you intend to parry Gwyn to death (Hornet Ring increases critical damage)
    • Use Homeward Bone
    • Use Soul of Sif and anything else you have and level
    • Warp to Undead Parish
    • Give Andre the ember, buy 8 titanite shards and reinforce the Battle Axe to +5 ( you have 1 titanite shard from the Berenike knight earlier in the run)
    • Turn the +5 Battle Axe into a Divine Battle Axe
    • Warp to Firelink Shrine

    20. New Londo

    • Take the elevator down under Firelink Shrine
    • Head towards Ghost City
    • Break pot with corpse in it next to two hollows before the planks that lead to the ghost area, it contains 2x Transient Curse
    • Use one of the Transient Curses (preferably closer to first ghosts so it lasts longer and doesn't run out while you're in there)
    • After killing the first two ghosts, grab the "hidden" Fire Keeper Soul, which is on a platform to the right of you as you walk off the planks you used to get there
      • If this is confusing, check the video (link plays from start of ghost area)
      • We take this Fire Keeper Soul to use it and gain 5 Humanity for the Lost Izalith shortcut later
    • Head up the stairs to fight more ghosts, yay
    • Get to the house where Ingward is and from the catwalk outside it, shoot him in the head (make sure its headshots, because you don't have many arrows unless you bought more at some point)
    • Head into the house where Ingward was and as soon as you enter it, turn left and go down the stairs, this is how you get to the contraption which removes the water from New Londo, make sure you move quickly or the 742 ghosts in the building will kick your butt
    • Activate the device to remove the water
    • Use Homeward Bone

    21. Four Kings

    • Head down the elevator back to New Londo
    • Cross the planks, but instead of going into the Ghost City, head to the right behind the stairs and drop down to the area with Darkwraiths, this is a known shortcut
      • If you don't know this path, check the video (link plays from start of ghost area)
    • Kill the Darkwraith and head past it up the stairs (to the left of where you fought him) and run past all the enemies (be ready to dodge the Darkwraith's attack) and head through the fog gate
    • Immediately roll to the right of the entrance after going through the fog gate, Darkwraiths can knock you down into the hole through the fog gate
    • DOUBLE CHECK that you have Covenant of Artorias ring on, so you don't die by jumping in
    • If you fall in from the first platform on the stairwell and turn to your right, you'll be looking in the general direction of the first king
    • Fighting them can get tricky if they use their most annoying attacks:
      • Blob that they fire at you (block it with your shield)
      • Explosion (back away or block with your shield if you can't get away fast enough)
      • Grab attack (back away if you can get very far, or dodge to your left around the boss, unlocking helps)
    • If they do a lot of those attacks, you'll inevitably fight more than just 1 of them, which can be problematic
    • Worst case scenario, use a Homeward Bone to try again if they give you horrible RNG
    • Once they're dead, warp to Firelink Shrine

    22. Bed of Chaos

    • Take the elevator down under Firelink Shrine
    • Head to Valley of Drakes and cross over into Blighttown
    • Take water wheel elevator down the same way when we were going to Quelaag
    • Run past Quelaag and go to the hidden bonfire through the illusory wall
    • Use the Fire Keeper Soul, Twin Humanities and Humanities to get to 30 "soft" humanity
      • "Soft" Humanity is any humanity you have already consumed, in the top left next to your health is a number, that is the number of "soft" Humanity you have
      • "Hard" Humanity is any shape of humanity you haven't yet consumed; Humanity, Twin Humanity, Fire Keeper Soul
    • Join the Chaos covenant by talking to the Fair Spider Lady and offer 30 Humanity
    • Run to the fog gate entrance for Demon Firesage, do NOT go in there, instead, turn right into the "dead end", which you can now open thanks to the 30 humanity contribution to the Sick Spider Waifu charity
    • Optional, but STRONGLY recommended: Kill the bugs behind the wall you just lowered using the power of simping to spider waifu, one of them drops Sunlight Maggot, which is a helmet that produces light, this will make Tomb of the Giants much easier to get through
    • Optional, but recommended if you missed other crystal lizards: Kill the crystal lizard found after the stairs with the bugs, this will give Green Titanite Shards or Red Titanite Chunk(s) which we can use to further upgrade our future Divine Weapon
    • Hit the Titanite Demon on the tail, and once it starts turning, run past it
      • After you're past it, listen for the lightning spell it casts
    • Optional: Kill the witch in front of Bed of Chaos fog gate, 5k souls, might come in handy
    • Use the Tohki Bombs strategy for safest Bed of Chaos fight, best to look at the video (link plays from the start of Bed of Chaos), not the best example as I got really bad RNG, but it shows where from and where to throw firebombs, which is what matters
      • One thing the video fails to mention (Sorry!) is that you want to stand on middle of the 6th tile from the edge of the circle in front of the branches that lead to the actual Bed of Chaos bug
    • Use any souls you have and level up

    23. Pinwheel

    • Warp to Firelink Shrine
    • If your Divine Battle Axe is not +5, feed 3 Blue or Red Titanite Chunks to Frampt to get more Green Titanite Shards and then reinforce it to +5 on the next bonfire you rest at
    • Head into the Catacombs
    • We use the drop-down "shortcut", where we cross the first spiked bridge, then immediately drop down to the platform below, and then drop down again until we're just above the Bonewheels
      • If this doesn't make sense, check the video (link plays from entrance to Catacombs)
    • Use your Black Firebombs and/or remaining regular Firebombs to kill the bonewheels if you need to, otherwise wait for them to de-aggro and then make a run for the fog gate to Pinwheel
    • Head to Pinwheel
    • Absolutely destroy him
    • Pray to RNGesus you get Mask of the Child, because it stacks with Grass Crest Shield and is pretty nice for Gwyn and in general
    • Put on Sunlight Maggot if you got it earlier
    • Head down to Tomb of the Giants bonfire
      • If you don't know the way, check the video (link plays from Pinwheel dying)
    • Use any souls you have and level up if you can, make sure to reinforce Divine Battle Axe to +5 if you haven't already

    24. Nito

    • Work your way through Tomb of the Giants through the dark using the Sunlight Maggot, it's hard to explain in text so I recommend checking the video (link plays from Tomb of the Giants bonfire)
    • Once you go through the fog gate for Nito, put on the Divine Battle Axe +5
    • After dropping in, listen for the scream and try to follow Nito's movements to help time the dodge for the ground-sword-stab-attack-thingy
    • Kill the three small skeletons with the Divine Battle Axe +5
    • Switch to Crystal Halberd
    • Fight Nito
      • He's basically a non-threat without the skeletons, all attacks are heavily telegraphed, just make sure you don't go into the other half of the room, otherwise there's 2 (or 3?) big skeletons that will ruin your day and also need to be killed with a Divine weapon to stay dead as far as I know
      • If he crouches down, either get far away form him or block it with your shield because he's getting ready to do an explosion
      • If he does the grab attack, it's safer to get to his sides than it is to get away from him, because he reaches out surprisingly far from where he was standing when he begins the attack
    • Kill Nito
    • Use any souls you have and level up
    • Warp to Firelink Shrine

    25. Gwyn

    • Remember to put on your Hornet Ring if you plan on parrying him to death
    • Talk to Frampt to warp or just kump into the pit (cinematic triggers, not death, I swear)
    • Offer lord souls to Lordvessel
    • Run down to Gwyn
    • Freak out because it's Gwyn and he's horrifying to parry because of his ridiculous quick attack
    • Parry him to death
    • Use Well, what is it?
    • Walk out because you never wanted to link the fire anyway

    Thanks for reading, feel free to ask any questions or make suggestions for the run, would love to hear your thoughts or help if I can!

    submitted by /u/Definitely_not_Vlad
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Newbie Friendly Entry for Lore Dives

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 11:50 PM PDT

    Not more myself, but for a friend that's recently gotten into playing Dark Souls for the first time.
    They seem to be getting into the flow of things and had asked me where they should look for lore explanations.

    Immediately, I thought of channels like VaatiVidya but realized I hadn't actually watched their channel in years. All of my knowledge was based on video's I had binged years prior and looking through the channel know it's full of all sorts of other videos for other games, or more complicated lore dives of the series that would for sure throw off new fans specially those who arn't used to this... unique way of story telling.

    Are there any specific video's or materials out there I could use to help them get their feet wet?

    submitted by /u/Snoubalougan
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think of Hawkshaw's theory on Gwyndolin (that Gwyn never even knew he existed)?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 05:09 AM PDT

    Hawkshaw is a souls youtuber who does lore videos. In his Dark Souls timeline video, he hypothesizes that Gwyndolin was born while Gwyn was away at war with Izalith, and that Gwyn never even knew of Gwyndolin's existence. His evidence is as follows

    • Gwyndolin does not have a fragment of Gwyn's soul, unlike the Firstborn, Gwynevere, or the 4 knights. It doesn't make sense that Gwyn would leave out Gwyndolin unless he didn't know of him. Additionally, Gwyndolin uses his own magic and not lightning, meaning he never inherited the lightning from Gwyn.
    • He theorizes that Gwynevere and the rest of the gods left while Gwyn was at war with Izalith, and that Gwyn returned to Gwynevere's illusion. This means that Gwynevere conspired with Gwyndolin to create a plan where she would leave Anor Londo and Gwyndolin would cover for her.
    • The Firstborn and Gwynevere have rooms in Anor Londo, but not Gwyndolin, meaning he was never integrated into the main Anor Londo royalty.
    • He theorizes that Gwyndolin's legs being snakes symbolizes how he was raised by Frampt (a serpent), and not Gwyn. He adds that it's also possible Gwyndolin was raised by Seath.

    There's a lot more I've forgotten, honestly just go watch the video it's really great.

    Anyway I'm not sure what to think of this theory. It makes a lot of sense, but it's such a divergence from what is generally believed about Gwyndolin around the Souls community. The video has over 1 million views, so it's exceptionally popular for a Souls lore video. Despite this, I almost never hear this theory get talked about. This video was made before Dark Souls 3, but I'm not sure if anything in that game supports or goes against this theory (although Gwyndolin looks more adult like supporting the idea that he was only a child in ds1). It is generally believed that it was Gwyn who raised Gwyndolin like a girl, but with this theory the actual culprit would be Frampt or even Gwyndolin himself.

    submitted by /u/TheEerieAerie
    [link] [comments]

    Switch online community? Greetings from Skorm

    Posted: 13 Aug 2021 03:14 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, I just got 60 hours offline and I'm really impressed. I played offline on nintendo switch and I wonder if I should buy the nintendo switch online..

    Is there any active community? I can't waste my money and I still enjoy playing offline

    Please help me decide =)

    submitted by /u/SirGregorClegane23
    [link] [comments]

    Who gave birth to Gwynevere, Gwyndolin and the Nameless King?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2021 01:00 AM PDT

    I'm basically asking if anybody knows who is Gwyn's babymomma lmao

    submitted by /u/Bauz9
    [link] [comments]

    Summoning sound with no invasion

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 11:24 PM PDT

    I'm curious what this was. I was in the Undead Burg, and I heard the phantom summoning sound, and there was like a firey particle effect that floated towards me and then dissapeared. A little while later, I learned about the Gravelord Servant covenant after I got the message "Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord." I assume this had something to do with what I heard, but I'm just curious if this rang a bell with anyone.

    submitted by /u/WittyAnswer9
    [link] [comments]

    My DS game went weird

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 10:58 PM PDT

    So, I was playing my game as normal, when just after I killed the capra demon boss, steam disconnected so I was thrown back to main menu, np just load game. But when I loaded in i was now in upper undead burg.
    I head back to firelink, sit at bonfire, think nothing of it and head to new londo to get an early firekeeper soul, except it isnt there.
    I go back to firelink, realise the fire is bigger and I have 20 estus, but I have no right of kindling, something obviously not right I check the chest behind where frampt spawns, which is now closed.

    Inside is all the Dukes archives keys, both the dlc keys and 3 embers, large magic, enchanted and very large. Oh, and I cant turn hollow anymore. I have no idea what happened, but I love it, anyone have any insight?

    kinda want to keep going with the broken save as well, just a lil worried it might get me softbanned or something xD Think theres a chance?

    submitted by /u/mugnet
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls Covenants in a nutshell

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 08:27 PM PDT

    In Darksouls, we have a covenant dedicated to: The Sun, Some jerk clerics, a big chested illusion, an evil? mustachioed serpent, a skeleton made of skeletons, the Cheshire Cat, a femboy, some fat cannibal priests, a rock, the femboy's frailer than a twig sister, a rat, a bunch of beef jerky people who just want to add corpses to a pile and a cosplay group.

    Pick your group

    submitted by /u/MaleficTekX
    [link] [comments]

    I'm An Idiot: Tales From Oolacile

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 01:52 PM PDT

    First and foremost, I want to apologize to the two jolly cooperators whose time I wasted, and to thank them for their patience for me being an idiot.

    Recently I decided to revisit one of my favorite games of all time, DSR, and start a brand new playthrough with a pure INT/sorcery build (aka Dark Souls: Easy Mode). I had just defeated the sexiest, most fashionable boss in the game and proceeded to the Oolacile Township bonfire. I cleared out the area until I reached everyone's favorite pupper, and when I heard that sweet, sweet AwwwooooOOOOO decided to head back to the township to pick up some loot that I had missed.

    I was ready to tackle my primordial ancestor when I rested at the bonfire again and noticed a few summon signs. I thought to myself, "Jolly cooperation? Too good to pass up." And summoned not one but two fellow skeletons ready to get down and dirty in the Abyss. But at that moment, a filthy invader approached.

    "Fine," I thought, "this shouldn't take long." But apparently, upon seeing me and my two gloriously incandescent comrades, this coward among cowards decided not to engage, but instead ran away! Unable to cross the fog gate without doing away with this animal, we pursued. He ran to the next rooftop and hid behind the enemies! We cut through them like a hot spoon through dark chocolate ice cream, but this red man with a white flag ran to the next rooftop and stood behind the enemies again!

    I reached for my giant seed (no, not that one) and remembered--oh dear, wrong game. Off to pursue again! And so we did, disposing of the baddies and attacking this intruding interloper. But then, as expected, he ran a third time! We gave chase, and luckily I was able to backstab this pesky trespasser. My two valiant allies surrounded him and gave him a thrashing. And you better believe that I pointed down while his puny body vanished.

    Finally, we were ready to take the shortcut down to the Abyss, having wasted time dealing with this animal. I threw down my trusty "Over here!" stone while I ran towards the shortcut elevator that would take us down to the Abyss. As I stepped onto the elevator, I had the sudden thought that maybe I had forgotten something important? And sure enough, I had.

    I forgot to call the elevator.

    Down I fell the shortcut shaft, imagining the double face palm from my two brave allies. For those few moments I ran through all five stages of acceptance as my sorceress screamed "AHHHHHHH!" I'm sorry my darling, that was on me. "YOU DIED." Said Dark Souls. "I know," I replied.

    I returned to the bonfire and, upon undoing my beef-jerky state, recalled my sunbros. Immediately I threw down the "I'm sorry!" stone, to which they bowed as if to say, "It happens to the best of us." Indeed, gravity is the true enemy! And we proceeded down, down to the Abyss and destroyed that primeval man, snatcher of Dusk and seeker of pendants.

    It was a good day in Oolacile.

    submitted by /u/FattyESQ
    [link] [comments]

    Whooped Manus with only Miracle damage. What run should I do next?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 10:01 PM PDT

    Hey gamers, second time playing this easy baby game and I'm doing a miracle only damage run. Just beat manus at soul lvl 73, feeling good after this run because a lot of it was really rough. Wanna know what other challenge runs there are or any ideas anyone has. :)

    submitted by /u/Melodic-Poet9226
    [link] [comments]

    Just beat O and S solo

    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 12:30 PM PDT

    This is my first playthrough of DS1 and I started as a pyromancer.(Uchigatana main weapon) Had to restart several times, once due to killing the Pyro teacher by accident in blighttown after defeating Quelaag. But I finally got my pyromancer down. Then I arrive in anor londo; not too bad, pretty hard with the new enemies and such, but then I arrive at the gate. I walked in thinking it was going to be Gwyn, when it turned out to be O and S, I froze. They wipe the floor with me before I could think to move. Tried two more times that night and could barely get a hit in. Decided to sleep on it. When I loaded the game I died to them two more times, decided to completely change my strategy from sword and fire, to shield and fire. I was just dorking around to see what would work best for me. I did it. Smough and I laid the final blows to each other at the same time. I was sure I was going to have to fight them again... just before the "You Died" popped up, I received the victory and the items. Exhilarating.

    submitted by /u/pavonis412
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment