• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 10, 2021

    Dark Souls The Furtive Pygmy - An Ideal God

    Dark Souls The Furtive Pygmy - An Ideal God


    The Furtive Pygmy - An Ideal God

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 04:44 PM PDT

    This is an idea I had bouncing around for a while. With Elden Ring arriving soon I've been playing through the series again and thought I'd pen out my thoughts on this "character".

    Having now a whole trilogy plus some other, similar titles that all operate on very similar themes - I've come to the conclusion that the Furtive Pygmy may be another Miyazaki commentary of religion or more directly Gods themselves.

    It's no real secret that religion, particularly the structured organized sort pops up a lot in titles Miyazaki directs. In a quite negative light. It was pretty heavy in Demon's Souls, and arguably one of the main thematic points of the story. Same with Bloodborne and its Healing Church. Sekiro too, with its Senpou monks and their horrid actions.

    Dark Souls 1 I think had an interesting thought experiment in the nature of divinity. Something that became lost in later sequels. It boils down to - when someone is presented with power, what is their response?

    It's accepted I would imagine at this point in the fandom that all beings - Gods and humans alike are simply hollows. The only difference being the soul (if any) they are enriched by.

    When the main three Gods were presented with power, they carved worlds in their image. Gwyn of course with his Lordran - mighty knights, cathedrals, organized religions and all.

    The Witch and Izalith were sadly smeared by development constraints so our knowledge here is sparse. Yet, her pursuit of recreating the First Flame and the eventual embrace of Demonhood I think shows she too had similar ambitions to Gwyn. Again - creating a world in their own image. For the Witch this was quite literal, even if it didn't seem to go as intended.

    Nito, in fandom, typically tends to get less flak for his actions than the other Gods. I think this for a few reasons. The first being we have basically no real lore at all, beyond that he killed dragons. Second, we know from his soul description that he poured most of soul's strength into death itself and his proliferation. At first, this seems like quite a selfless action - especially when compared to his counterparts. And third of course - he's a big skeleton. And the fandom tends to just like skeletons a lot, for good reason.

    Nevertheless, I think Nito's actions - while more selfless perhaps - are still negative to the world. Nito appears to have acted as a fanatic to death, forgoing all ambitions for its proliferation. Death might be a natural part of the world - but it's just one part of it. We take for granted that the cruelty and violence of the world in Dark Souls is natural. But if a divine being had poured their full might into propagating death in all its forms - I have to wonder if the violence of the Dark Souls world could have been lessened had Nito not committed himself wholesale to his divine element. I think we see some plays on this with Pinwheel and their betrayal of Nito, but that could be a post of its own.

    So I stand to reason that the evil of the three Gods of the Dark Souls world comes from their imposition of will on the world, in the various creative forms that may take. You might say, but isn't that the point of Gods? To shape the world as they see fit?

    That - I feel - it where the Furtive Pygmy comes into play. The Pygmy was a God as all the others. Perhaps more meager than the others, but a true God nevertheless. And what was their response to being given power?

    The Pygmy did not shape the world to their whim with this power. Instead, they distributed it. They took what little they had, and gave it to the hollows who had nothing at all. Where the other Gods created things to serve them, the Pygmy simply gave opportunity to otherwise mindless hollows. What they would do with that gift was up to them. They birthed humanity, with no caveat or asterisks attached. When presented with power and opportunity, the Pygmy decided to give this gift to others.

    Now I hear you saying - but Kaathe said that the Pygmy was ambitious! They were the trillion year mastermind to usurp the Gods - all according to keikaku! Right?

    I think it's important that the serpents tend to stretch the truth. Frampt tells us we are destined to replace Gwyn. Our first instinct is to presume to mean we're destined for Godhood, when it really means were destined to become firewood. Kaathe, simply because he presents another side of the story, has no reason to tell the full truth.

    And how can we tell Kaathe is probably lying? Well we meet the Pygmy! A little worse for wear, but it's functionally them. As far as Dark Souls 1 is concerned, Manus is the Pygmy. But what are their actions? What does the lord of Dark do?

    Well, they freak out if you have some Broken Pendant from ancient times. They seem obsessed with Dusk of Oolacile. And that's...pretty much it! Sure, they are spreading the abyss but this doesn't seem to be any sort of conscious action. Manus' primeval soul is going rampant due to the experiments the wizards of Oolacile performed on them.

    So they are insane for the most part - but we can see glimpses of the what the Pygmy was before this. I think this the beauty of the DLC that is often missed. There is clearly some deep story behind Manus and his actions. But we have no idea what they are, since he has been driven mad.

    The Pygmy kept this pendent, but we know nothing of its importance. They are obsessed with Dusk, but we really have no idea why. He stalks by his grave - and yeah, that's his grave! Obviously some ancient people loved the Pygmy enough to formally bury them when they died. But we have no context to tie these things together.

    Now this does not mean the Pygmy was some perfect Buddha or Christ figure. They were just another being. They loved, they held things dear. They likely had their own problems and temptations. Per Dusk, after defeating Manus;

    I still think on that creature from the Abyss that preyed upon me. My faculties were far from lucid, but I quite clearly sensed certain emotions. A wrenching nostalgia, a lost joy, an object of obsession, and a sincere hope to reclaim it… Could these thoughts belong to the beast from the Abyss? But if that were true, then perhaps it is no beast after all?

    But we know the Pygmy never held the ambitions Kaathe spoke of, because we hear nothing of it besides from him. We all know of Gwyn, the Witch, and Nitio's ambitions. It's written in the world they carved. But the Pygmy's ambitions can only be extrapolated on by the vague actions of his insane, resurrected corpse. And they don't seem to involve actively opposing the Gods. But rather, something far more personal that we never fully understand. The Pygmy's decision to spread his power insured his own story would not stand out. Just another old story, easily forgotten. For Miyazaki, I imagine this is the ideal behavior of a God. Creating as many opportunities as possible, rather than forcing their own at the expense of others.

    Obviously - this all complicated by Dark Souls 3. The introduction of the Pygmies as a race, the supposed ancient race of super dark warriors that Gwyn locked up and all. This theory was mostly made with Dark Souls 1 lore as a standalone. But I still find it quite interesting that firstly - the actual Furtive Pygmy is never mentioned in Dark Souls 3 at all. And secondly, this supposed hidden history of mankind still doesn't line up with exactly what Kaathe said in Dark Souls 1. Maybe the first progenitors of mankind after the Furtive Pygmy were more ambitious. Just some food for thought.

    tl;dr: The Gods of Dark Souls 1 were evil because they imposed their will on the world through their divine power. The Furtive Pygmy contrasts this by freely giving away his power so others might act on their own will, without caveats.

    submitted by /u/crayolaclock
    [link] [comments]

    I BEAT BLIGHT TOWN HOLY SHIT

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 12:22 PM PDT

    I'm genuinely shocked I was ever able to beat this god forsaken place. Before this Blight Town has made me abandon two of my previous characters that I'd spent a lot of time with it just made me struggle so much.

    After doing some research and learning how the stats work, along with how to correctly build a character, I'd started a completely new character who as of writing this is able don Eastern Armour and use a Zweihander and deal insane damage without fat rolling.

    After so many hours of suffering I feel this game has finally clicked for me, I finally understand why this game is so loved, and I'm excited as hell to continue playing

    submitted by /u/-Spaghettilicious-
    [link] [comments]

    Capra Demon in Undead Burg is a joke

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 04:19 AM PDT

    Yesterday I decided to replay DS:R out of nostalgia using this build and without any "OP in 10 minutes" tips&tricks I went the standard way the common new DS player goes. Everything went smoothly until Capra Demon.

    THIS IS A FUCKING JOKE. You enter a tiny arena and receive smash from Capra right away. Moreover, those two fucking dogs jump at your face the same time. I'm glad that I knew what I'm signing up for, because to make things worse when you enter the fog gate you don't see anything/clearly for few moments, which is enough for you to receive damage, which could be worse if I haven't had my shield raised.

    The thing I don't understand is why this boss is optional - you literally need to kill him to obtain the key to the Depths (I know, you can enter the Depths by the Valley of Drakes - I don't know which way is worse), which further leads to Blighttown. For me you just can't omit him, which I would gladly do.

    I've heard about dung pie cheese long before I played DS for the first time and I think now's the time to use this method - during my first playthrough I was ambitional, it was a matter of honor to me to kill him in a fair fight. Now I'm tired of his shit. There are plenty of other bosses/obstacles in this game to put your effort into.

    Fuck you Capra Demon.

    submitted by /u/MajorJajC
    [link] [comments]

    How do I fight the hollow soldiers with the shields?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2021 12:41 AM PDT

    So I started Dark Souls recently. I played some Demon's Souls years ago, but never finshed. That being said, I'm having trouble getting used to the melee. There are these undead soldiers in the Undead Parish that have shields, and it seems like no matter what I do, they wipe the floor with me because I can't get a hit in past their shields. When I do kill them, it almost seems like luck I rush in and kill one quickly before it can raise its shield, or I use pyromancy. I also feel like I must be mistiming my hits because I keep hitting walls and then getting staggered over and over. How do you guys manage melee against something with a shield?

    submitted by /u/WittyAnswer9
    [link] [comments]

    Best Game?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 04:55 PM PDT

    What is the best Souls game?

    Demon Souls

    Dark Souls

    Dark Souls 2

    Dark Souls 3

    Bloodborne

    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

    submitted by /u/Proof-Discount-2712
    [link] [comments]

    Fuck blight town

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 08:38 PM PDT

    So my first time playing dark souls right I get to blight town and I hate it lol any advice ?

    submitted by /u/Blondeslut223
    [link] [comments]

    I miss my first play through and the emotions I felt during it.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 06:33 PM PDT

    I started my dark souls journey in late 2018 when I bought Dark Souls Remastered on the switch. The game I thought it was before buying it turned out to be something completely more different and magical. This game made me feel so many emotions that I hadn't felt in a long time, and that's why these games are my favorite of all time. On my first play through, I couldn't save solaire and had to kill him in lost izalith. After that, I had to take a break from the game. I'm not lying when I say that made me really depressed, I felt like I failed my friend and that I crushed his dream, even though there was no saving him. I feel more alive playing the soulsborne sekiro games compared to any other. Thank you FromSoftware, I'm looking forward to Elden Ring

    submitted by /u/ProfessorLankto
    [link] [comments]

    Feels good to be back

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 01:41 PM PDT

    I stared playing Darksouls 1 after completing DS3. I got to the Capra demon got super frustrated and abbadoned the game for a couple of months. Recently one of my friends got Darsksouls too and as I saw him play the flame inside me re-ignited. I put the disc in pressed the new game and started again. I defended that overgrown goat and I just entered Blightown today for the first time. Feels good to be back.

    submitted by /u/Life_is_poisonous
    [link] [comments]

    I have just beaten the game for the first time

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 10:43 PM PDT

    I have major goosebumps, that finale with the music and everything. What an experience! I have got 22/41 trophies so far and the Elite knight has just dropped the corpse down into my cell for a second time around. My heart was racing in that final fight, I legit haven't had a game put me on edge like that since I was a kid.

    Surprisingly enough the worst boss for me was Bed of Chaos, it kept whacking me down into the holes. I think it took like 7 tries to do.

    submitted by /u/galaxzii
    [link] [comments]

    Omg the hydra demon is so annoying

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 06:11 PM PDT

    So like its super easy and i just beat it thanks to my equipment but like i could NOT with the water balls and the deep end of the lake deaths. The water balls arent even the worst part tho. You run too far in and BAM youre drowning. Which makes me wonder why all dark souls characters never learned how to swim. Like all powerful wooooo...yet dies instantly in the deep end of the pool 🤦‍♀️

    submitted by /u/QueenOfMadness999
    [link] [comments]

    I want to quit because of Blight Town

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 09:00 PM PDT

    So, I have loved Dark Souls so far and didn't even cry too much about the Capra Demon, but I am ready to uninstall this game and never touch it again.I just started with blight town, but I haven't even made close to the bonfire. The 3 infested barbarians ALWAYS fucking poison me, on top of that, those damn archers give me the toxic effect and I always die to it. I want to beat this game, but I can't play for more than an hour without having an emotional breakdown because of blight town.Please, give me some advice on how to get past this shit stage.Thanks.

    edit: i made it after i just ran to the bonfire, huge thx to u/jackatron1 for the tip

    submitted by /u/max9758
    [link] [comments]

    I'm making a dark build but I don't fully understand the mechanics.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 11:11 PM PDT

    Right so in ds2&3 dark spells/hexes scale off of both int and faith, in ds1 though I believe they only scale off of int but I need confirmation and if that's the case where should I stop leveling the stat up? I usually go 45 for my int builds as CSS requires 44 and that extra point yealds surprisingly good damage, everything after that is not worth it so is it the same with dark spells? Lastly the best catalyst for sorceries is Logan's staff so is that also my best bet here? I know I'm asking very basic questions for a lot of ppl but the closest thing I've ever gotten to a hexer build in ds1 was using cancer bead on my int build (sorry for all the ppl I one shoted with that, I feel your pain😢), also if you don't mind, if there's any cool weapons and armor that fit the theme I would like for you to tell me what they are, even if they're the most viable in the game fashion souls comes before anything, and btw if you're wondering what spells I'm using it's the basics dark orb, dark bead and pursuers, thanks :D

    Edit: ok boys I did some research and read the comments and it's like this, also keep in mind that the damage numbers are calculated with of course the stats and catalyst mentioned using the dark orb spell on the basic hollow soldier enemy in undead burge without any third party damage increasing items like crown of dusk or bellowing dragon crest ring, let's start shall we:

    -dark magic always scales off intelligence, you get diminishing returns after 30 but have it at 32 to be able to use pursuers.

    -dark magic also sometimes scales off of strength or dex if the used catalyst has scaling in them, strength will yeald more damage so if you want that have this stat at 40, but dex gives you more casting speed so for this have 45.

    Unlike future dark souls games faith plays no role is dark spells whatsoever, they don't have faith requirements and they don't scale from it so you don't have to worry about this stat.

    -for maximum damage have Manus's catalyst with 40 str and 32 int (545 damage) but keep in mind that it halves your casts so if you don't want any of that the second best thing is the demon catalyst (377 damage).

    -for good damage and high cast speed you want to use the tin crystallization catalyst with 45 dex and 32 int (481 damage) but yet again this catalyst halves your casts so you're better off going with the tin banishment catalyst instead (416 damage).

    Overall I'd say the most practical setup is having 45 dex and 32 int with the tin banishment catalyst, you'll have the fastest casting speed with very respectable damage and you'll save a lot of levels to put in other stats, add the crown of dusk and bellowing dragon crest ring and you'll easly surpass 1500 damage on a dark bead, with that you'll almost always 1 to 2 shot any players and 3 to 4 shot any bosses, hope this helps :)

    submitted by /u/Rokuzo85
    [link] [comments]

    Which Dark Souls should I buy first?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2021 02:45 AM PDT

    Alright I'm new to Dark Souls, I really want to start playing but I don't know where to start. Ideally, I would've started with Dark Souls 3 as I've heard it's the best one and I've played a little bit on my friend's Xbox but I own a PS3 and a Nintendo Switch so I can only play 1 and 2. My question is: Do I spend £6 on the PS3 version of Dark Souls or splash out for the remaster which is about £30? What does the remaster do differently and also how does online play work in Dark Souls?

    submitted by /u/Penta_Penguin_
    [link] [comments]

    Four Kings First

    Posted: 10 Aug 2021 04:38 AM PDT

    I'm starting my second playthrough now, and have decided to challenge myself to beat the Four Kings prior to doing anything with the bells. I took the master key for expedience, grabbed the Great Club from Blighttown, and have now killed Sif without doing any other post-tutorial bosses. I look forward to seeing if my skill will stand up to the kings themselves next.

    If you're wondering, I have in mind that my character has some personal connection to New Londo, and has vowed to take revenge on the sealers for destroying the city, and destroy the kings once and for all, as she feels the sealers should have done to begin with.

    I'm a little sad that I may have to break my No Other Bosses rule eventually though, if I want to get the Large Ember for ascending my weapon further. As far as I can tell, The Depths is the only pre-Sens area that I can't access without killing a boss.

    submitted by /u/Arvaus
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth getting the demon's great hammer?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 10:32 PM PDT

    Is it worth getting the demon's great hammer?

    submitted by /u/ad_k12
    [link] [comments]

    Dex weapon for Kalameet (and good for NG+ and further)

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 11:09 PM PDT

    Is there any long term dex weapon worth investing because Im going NG+ soon, my Quelaag Furysword deals 2 digit damage to Kalameet. I'll just get the weapon and git gud i think, but now I need to change a weapon, been playing the whole game with Quelaag fireweb curvesword.

    Any suggestions, thanks.

    submitted by /u/ds_user
    [link] [comments]

    A funny detail about the Lord of Gwynder fight

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 03:20 PM PDT

    I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, but Gwyn's attacks are remarkably similar to a Broken Straight Sword Hollow Soldier, the first PvE enemies you really see.

    Anyways, let me share my experience:

    When I fought Gwyn for the first time, I forgot to unequip my greatshield and didn't have any parrying tools, and after seeing that my greatshield didn't have good fire resist, as well as my midroll, I decided the fight was kinda lame. So when I got him to around 30% health left I purposefully died so I could get the parry god moments in on the next run.

    When I started the fight after equipping my Dark Hand (and the ABSOLUTE CHONKIEST AND HEAVIEST STR weapon I could find, the BKGA), I realized just how stunningly similar Gwyn is to a Hollow Soldier, which I'm pretty sure is not a coincidence, because Miyazaki is Literal Japanese Video Game Jesus.

    His sword swing pace is literally the same speed as the Hollow Soldiers', and his delay is only barely noticeably faster, and the shape of his swings are only slightly more refined.

    The only real differences between the two are that Gwyn doesn't have a crazy multi-hit berserk attack, instead having his signature big jump, and that Gwyn doesn't have a 3-4 second downtime between attacks.

    Seriously though, go to a Hollow Soldier in the Burg and more of their attacks can be parried by saying "One one thousand, BANG!", when they draw their sword back. (Parry when you say "BANG!", it is the most satisfying thing ever.)

    Then do the same for Gwyn. It's pretty uncanny just how many attacks can be parried with the exact same method.

    The only attacks that can't be parried with the method is the leap and the grab, you will parry early for the leap using this method and lose all your stamina, as well as some health, and with the grab, you will just get grabbed.

    But yeah, I just want to share this funny detail with you all.

    submitted by /u/chinese_quality_user
    [link] [comments]

    Which NPC got the farthest into the game?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 08:35 PM PDT

    So apparently Tarkus made it to Anor Londo only to fall to his death before reaching Orstein and Smough. This got me wondering about other NPC's and how far they got in trying to re-link the first flame. Who got the farthest besides characters you have to help such as Solaire?

    submitted by /u/StupidNecron
    [link] [comments]

    I accidentally killed the fair lady and I can't open the door to bed of chaos. Is there a way to open it?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2021 03:19 AM PDT

    (Dark Souls Remastered)

    submitted by /u/coolgate1905
    [link] [comments]

    First Playthrough Finished

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 10:17 PM PDT

    So, I finished my first full playthrough of Dark Souls after 51 hours, and, kind of poetically, I ended up linking the flame right as it hit midnight where I live. That was definitely a memorable experience. I'm super excited to get started on Dark Souls 2 and 3 now and delve into some lore reading/video watching, but also have the urge to just keep playing in NG+. What were some of your reactions when you completed the game for the first time?

    submitted by /u/FadeCRG
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the best dark souls figures?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 11:24 PM PDT

    What are the best quality figures for dark souls I know there are easy detailed statues but I don't have 300$ to spend other than that what else is there thanks. Maybe lothric knights to because there awesome.

    submitted by /u/Agimar84
    [link] [comments]

    Why does everyone seem to say to take Ornstein out first in the O&S fight?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 09:15 AM PDT

    So I beat O&S last week after a good couple days of attempts, and I made way more progress focusing on Smough first, and fighting super Ornstein last. Yet every advice thread on the fight I find people saying to take out Ornstein first and fight super Smough because he's easier, which I don't really understand. Sure, Smoughs basic hammer swing attacks are easy to dodge, and he's easy to keep sight on, but his one charge attack is one of the most brutal, bullshit boss attacks I've ever seen. He does it constantly, no matter how far or close you are, and after 40+ attempts I could never find a reliable way to dodge it. I know people say to get in front of the pillars but the chance of being able to get in front of a pillar by the time you notice he's about to do it is still pretty slim. And on top of that, his butt slam is twice the size of Ornstein's and is a near guaranteed instakill. And it's not easy to roll away from when it's so easy to roll into a pillar and get caught in the lighting aoe. Yes super Ornstein is fast and a little harder to read, but I felt like most of his attacks I could avoid by just sticking to his legs and rolling into him. Anyway, just wanted to get this off my chest and see if anyone felt the same.

    submitted by /u/Brewerboy3
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for newbie

    Posted: 10 Aug 2021 01:05 AM PDT

    I just purchased dark souls for the PS4. Please share your best tips and tricks for this beginner.

    Note: this my third from software game, first being sekiro and second being bloodborne.

    submitted by /u/sid_vig
    [link] [comments]

    Hooked in after a few years and few tries

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 06:47 AM PDT

    So i tried this game for the fourth time and something clicked…somehow it feels awesome now, dunno why. I feel that this time i will beat this game, just cleared the revisited undead asylum. the silver knight set and zwei+10 is amazing.

    If i finish the first one, i think i will go trough all the souls games.(Oh god, i think that will take hundreds of hours).

    Is there anyone else, who did not "feel" the game for the first few attempts?

    submitted by /u/Kubsie421
    [link] [comments]

    RIP sun bro

    Posted: 10 Aug 2021 04:38 AM PDT

    I was going through lost izalith blind and I encountered him while he was being mund controlled and I thought I was damaging the parasite and not him and in the end I accidentally killed him....I literally cried.

    submitted by /u/Fabulous_Web1315
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment