• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 17, 2021

    Dark Souls Weekly General Discussion Thread (April 16, 2021)

    Dark Souls Weekly General Discussion Thread (April 16, 2021)


    Weekly General Discussion Thread (April 16, 2021)

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 09:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the weekly general discussion thread! This thread is for the community to discuss whatever is on their mind (whether it is Dark Souls 1 related or not).

    Have a question that you've been meaning to ask but haven't gotten around to making a post yet? Something on your mind you want to discuss? Playing a game that you think others would like? Comment away! All we ask is that you are respectful of each other, and have fun!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Jesus, Sif fight after the dlc is heartbreaking...

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 03:05 PM PDT

    You save her and she helps you against Manus. Then, for hundreds of years she keeps guard on Artorias grave. Then you appear again. It's been only a few hours for us, but for her it's been a very long time. But she DOES actually recognize you. Sif remembers you, your smell. And she only fights you out of loyalty for Artorias memory. And she fights bravely, but in the end, she stumbles. She is hurt, mortally wounded. And then you finish her out, ending her misery. It was so heartbreaking, seeing her stumbleling. She never really wanted to fight you. Her savior and her friend. You don't want either but you have to. Don't know. Just did the boss fight right now. Saw the alternative cutscene for the first time. Felt sad. Really.

    submitted by /u/desd960
    [link] [comments]

    The whole lautrec deal is really great

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 05:56 AM PDT

    So I don't think I've seen this appreciated enough. When the player has rung the two bells of awakening, lautrec kills the fire keeper. This means firelink, arguable the best bonfire in the game is now unusable for a while. But it triggers at a very specific point. When the player has rung BOTH bells. And in the normal first play through the player rings blighttown second. So the player has just spent a long time in the oppressive depths and blighttown, they haven't met any npcs, they are scared and are eager to get back to firelink to progress the game. But when they do complete the relatively long walk (especially early game on a first play through) they are expecting relief. Only to find it gone. And suddenly they have to rush to the parish elevator and to Andres bonfire. This technique of lulling the player into a false sense of security and then pulling the floor from beneath them, leaving them a long way from safety is a masterful piece of design and a superb example of the dark souls philosophy.

    submitted by /u/keepcalm-and-kermit
    [link] [comments]

    [58-Page Lore Essay] "The First Sin: The Mystery of Velka Unraveled (Part I)" is finally finished!

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 05:08 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, this is /u/Al-Hatoor here (formerly known as /u/IceFireWarden)! I'm usually a frequenter of the Elder Scrolls community and its various subreddits; in TES I'm known for the Uutak Mythos world-building project that has received attention from both developers and fans over the years, and my Anuvanna'si: The Hero, the Prisoner, and the Godhead with a Thousand Faces (a 117-page lore essay that went into detail about the player characters of that rpg franchise and the metanarrative of the series as a whole), which also was nicely received by the community as well.

    I have been a huge fan of the Dark Souls series for many years, and have always wanted to unravel the more unreliable and esoteric secrets of its universe as well, but for the longest time I just couldn't find anything truly fascinating. Then I had a stroke of genius, or at the very least a comedic epiphany, and began connecting thoughts that I never saw before in the setting (and perhaps you all have never seen before as well?).

    So after three months of writing, not-writing, writing, procrastinating, and stressing I bring to you The First Sin: The Mystery of Velka Unraveled (Part I), a treatise that goes into depth concerning the mysterious goddess of witches, her association with the concept of sin, and her relationships with the other gods of Anor Londo. Within you'll discover such fascinating ideas like:

    • Was Seath a playa?
    • Was the Painted World of Ariamis actually a cold, dark, and very gentle place?
    • Is Filianore the Sleeping Beauty to Gwynevere's Cinderalla?
    • Why was the Nameless King such a bro?
    • And so much more!

    Haha, I'm kidding. But in seriousness (as I don't want to spoil too much), the essay does talk about Faraam, Filianore, Gwyn, Gwynevere, Gwyndolin, Priscilla, Yorshka, the Blades of the Darkmoon/Blue Sentinels, Lord's Blade Ciaran, and several other interesting entities within the Dark Souls universe and ties them together through what may be simple conjecture, or the accidental truth.

    But of course, the lore is what you make of it. Hope you all enjoy reading, and remember to drink your ovaltine. The links for reading are provided below:

    Google Docs Version

    PDF Version

    submitted by /u/Al-Hatoor
    [link] [comments]

    anyone else just love all 3 souls games in their own special magnificent ways?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 05:12 PM PDT

    DS is just a beautifully designed masterpiece, story just makes you love it and how the game just ends after smooth walking toward that entrance or linking the fire to immediately start again. You spawn in that same cell you started and say, "okay lets go again bitches." DS2 so fun, coop is thrilling and that majula music I can just fall sleep to it, also love how I can just change my entire build with a soul vessel and not make an entire new character DS3 im not even done with the game just beat friede, but every boss that tried to stop me on my quest for respect, and I mean EVERY boss just had me like wow that was a great fucking fight, challenging and entertaining to play every second and the phase changes LMAOO THEY GOT ME A FEW TIMES NOT GON LIE

    Thanks to all the people that took part in making these great games, and thanks to all the chosen ones that keep the fire going

    submitted by /u/Revolutionary-Tip-62
    [link] [comments]

    First episode of the Don't Go Hollow Podcast

    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 02:29 AM PDT

    A few weeks ago I made a post to see if there would be any interest for a podcast about the Soulsborne games and their impact on people suffering from depression. There was a pretty decent response, decent enough to start the podcast. So here I present the first episode, What does it mean to go Hollow?

    Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-dontgohollow/episode-1-what-does-it-mean-to-go-hollow

    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWQG_ae34Q0&list=PLoBjI5CpVunOgM-bpUZ1Z6ayT2-bm0C94&index=1&ab_channel=JacksonReid

    Currently working on getting it onto spotify and apple podcasts. If you want to keep up to date on future episodes I've made twitter and instagram accounts, but I've also got a website planned.

    It's largely an entry point for people who haven't played Dark Souls or know much about depression, and future episodes will look at the topic in more detail. I've got a psychologist lined up to interview as well as some individuals who have had interesting experiences with the Soulsborne games helping them with depression.

    The episode is under 20 minutes, if you listen to it let me know what you think was good, what could be improved, and what you'd like to see in future episodes.

    submitted by /u/solisb
    [link] [comments]

    So I wanted to confirm something I heard

    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 12:38 AM PDT

    The fact was that the gauntlets of thorns increase fist damage and affects the damage on Caestus.

    submitted by /u/ComposedMood
    [link] [comments]

    I did it!

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 03:29 PM PDT

    After many years where I started DS1 multiple times only to quit in the DLC everytime I faced Manus. But not this time, this time around I persevered and beat him which enabled me to face Gwyn for the very first time ever. I died once to Gwyn, only to fall off the ledge whilst trying to pass the silver knight on my way to pick up my souls again. When I faced him a second time I managed to land most of my parries and was able to link the fire for the very first time.

    Every single time this game gets to me again, so I started my journey to bring the age of dark.

    I feel like I finally got gud, this game is so much fun!

    submitted by /u/Takaminara
    [link] [comments]

    I made a lofi/nostalgic remix of Gwyn, lord of Cinder :):

    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 01:02 AM PDT

    hey guys how are you? I made a lofi/sad remix of gwyn, lord of cinder and it would be amazing for me if you check it out :)

    Gwyn, lord of cinder, but lofi.

    submitted by /u/glxfy
    [link] [comments]

    In real life would the Balder Side Sword be rapier or a thin bladed sword? I would love know I really like the sword design.

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 10:04 PM PDT

    The sword kinda has that thin blade profile perfect for thrusting and sweaty dex builds similar to a rapier, I was just wonder if it would be classified as rapier in real life?

    submitted by /u/Mr-Chan1
    [link] [comments]

    Okay, starting a new character. Any build suggestions good for both PvP and PvE?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 02:22 AM PDT

    I already had went through the entire game once, plus the DLC so I'm not a rookie but of course definitely not the best at the game. So, I want to do something else besides my usual strength/pyromancy build I ALWAYS do with every Dark Souls.

    So, I've been thinking of a Dex one, or something like that. And, of course planning on Soul Level 120 for best chances for online stuff.

    Gonna have the character already started and working on it by the time this is made. So, I'm all ears, help !

    submitted by /u/ClassicStats
    [link] [comments]

    Black Knight Sword

    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 01:50 AM PDT

    I just upgraded my Black Knight Sword to +5. But the damage is only 307. I went to the fandom website and it said it does 330 damage at +5. I am very confused. Someone help me out. I think it has something to do with stats but I don't know for sure.

    submitted by /u/poopyheadtempest
    [link] [comments]

    Video showing all 80 vagrant spawn locations

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 06:35 PM PDT

    Made this video. Yes, there are 80 vagrants!
    https://youtu.be/964HVSnrVGA

    submitted by /u/fartmaster200
    [link] [comments]

    Mini Game

    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 03:26 AM PDT

    Let's have a little fun. Post the most nonsensical spoiler/ advice you can imagine. It should still be accurate, but enjoyable.

    I'll provide an example:

    If you don't want to lose anymore hands, then go kill the dog, take it's second most precious and go visit the huge baby. Then choose the dark side.

    submitted by /u/DrunkTeenager
    [link] [comments]

    Did I kill someone important? Please help

    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 03:26 AM PDT

    It's my first time ever playing darksouls or any souls like game and I have just finished fighting the two gargoyles and rang the bell. As I'm climbing down the stairs there was a guy waiting for me. I think my game glitches because he was T posing so I thought he was a statue or something so I hit him instead of speaking to him. Now he is dead and I don't know if he was important or not, can someone please enlighten me about who he is? What was he ment to do? And whether or not I fucked up and should restart my playthrough before going further

    submitted by /u/Somlal
    [link] [comments]

    Good places to farm souls with summons?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 11:23 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm SL88 (i know it's high) and I'm wondering what the best places for getting summoned are. I just beat Seath and got summoned two or three times, but they were all really spaced out and not as frequent as when I was lower and getting summoned for Ornstein and Smough. Any suggestions on where to go or what to do?

    submitted by /u/xFreddyFazbearx
    [link] [comments]

    I'm playing Dark Souls for the first time!

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 08:18 AM PDT

    The first game that got me into the series was Dark Souls II back when it was first released. Then I played Dark Souls III and loved that game as well. Now I'm finally getting a chance to play Dark Souls and I just ran into this lad:

    Praise the Sun!

    submitted by /u/stoicgraphic
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls Lore Explore for Noobs and Loremasters Alike!

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 05:44 AM PDT

    (Skip this part if you want to get straight to the lore)

    Hey all! So this is essentially a lore dive 2.0 from me. I enjoyed making a post a few months ago about Dark Souls lore but it was more of a first draft and just me getting all this lore out of my head and written down. I'm a massive Dark Souls fan as I'm sure everyone here is, and I love the atmosphere and hidden backstory to the games. I love sharing and discussing the lore with any friends I've played the game with, and now I want to share with the whole community.

    This post will not go into much detail on the stories of the games we play, but will primarily be regarding the overarching systems, backstory and themes found throughout the entire souls series. I feel that having an understanding of the way the souls universe works, and it's history, makes playing the games feel completely different and much more immersive.

    As we know, much of the lore in Dark Souls is purposefully hard to find, subjective and contradictory. Not much of it is told explicitly, and Dark Souls uses a lot of symbolism and metaphors rather than clear logical ideas. This post will be an attempt by me to summarise much of this complex story into a clear and logical one that we can all understand. I try to assume/extrapolate as little as I can, and rely on the source material of mostly item descriptions and dialogue, but I can promise to let you know when I am using my own interpretations.

    DISCLAIMER: There is no true right or wrong understanding of the full Dark Souls story, as much of it is ambiguous, this is just my perspective. I really enjoy exploring the lore of Dark Souls, and want to share my understanding and enjoyment with the rest of you. Feel free to offer arguments/counterpoints in the comments and I'll try to get back to most of them.

    I am using all three games as sources, but Dark Souls 1 and the DLCs from all three games provide the most relevant information. Let's begin!

    Age of Ancients

    The world of Dark Souls once existed as a grey, unchanging land, shrouded by fog. Everlasting dragons, arch trees and grey crags covered the land. There was one important concept missing in this homogenised world, Disparity. There is no light and dark, everything is uniformly bright. There are no hot and cold places. There is no life and death. The everlasting dragons are alive in some sense of the word, but seem dormant. The concept of life makes no sense when there is no such thing as death, so I like to think of the arch dragons as 'animate' rather than alive.

    Importantly, in Oolacile we are told that light and time are related, like two sides of the same coin (I feel like this idea was to some extent inspired by the famous E = mc2 equation that taught us that matter an energy are interchangeable, and can be thought of as two forms of the same thing). This is important as the age of ancients exists before the coming of disparity and light. This suggests to me that time did not function in the age of ancients in the way we understand it now, and is probably impossible to conceive of. This explains the everlasting and unchanging state of the world. Time does not move forwards, and did not even have a beginning, but it does come to an end with the coming of 'The First Flame'. This feels heavily inspired by theories of the Big Bang, and what existed before it. It is thought that our idea of time did not exist before the occurrence of the Big Bang.

    Advent of Fire

    "And then, there was Fire, and with fire, came disparity."

    So, this line has a real "let there be light" vibe. The coming of the first flame is clearly inspired by the idea of the Big Bang and creation myths. With the advent of fire deep underground, change is finally brought into the unchanging world. The concepts of light, time, life and heat now begin to work as we expect them to.

    "From the dark, they came". We see what looks like hollows rise from the shadows and approach the first flame after an unknown length of time. Were they there before the fire, undying and everlasting like the dragons, or were they brought into being alongside the first flame? We can't say for sure. The line seems to suggest that they were formed in/from the dark, but it could simply mean that they literally walked out of the shadows and into the light of the first flame as they approached it. Around the flame (not 'within' it, this is a mistranslation), we are told that 4 powerful 'Lord Souls' were found by 4 of these early beings. Each of these souls gave their wielder unique powers. The Witch of Izalith claimed the Life Soul, Nito the Death Soul, Gwyn the Light Soul and lastly the small and weak looking Dark Soul was found by The Furtive Pygmy. Using the powers granted to them by their souls, and a little inside information from Seath the Scaleless, these lords and their kingdoms went on to defeat the everlasting dragons in a great war, and bring about the first 'age of fire'.

    Fading of the Flame

    "But soon, the flames will fade, and only dark will remain". The first flame was destined to burn out, as fires do. At the time of Dark Souls 1 we are told that "only embers remain", but what happens when the First Flame is fully extinguished? A return to the age of ancients? A dark age where the owners of the Dark Soul rule as gods? It's fun to theorise but in reality we never get to find out, as Lord Gwyn "trembled at the coming dark, and clinged to his age of fire", and did not go gentle into that good night (hello Vaati). He resisted the natural order of things, as we are told by Kaathe in DS1 and Aldia in DS2. The First Flame was supposed to burn out, but Gwyn found a way to reignite it, and thus began the cycles.

    Gwyn linked the fire. This is one of the most interesting, important and confusing events in all of Dark Souls. What does it mean? It took 3 games and some great DLC, but we eventually learned more of the linking of the fire and it's consequences, so let's take a look. Gwyn sacrificed himself and his power to rekindle the fire and extend his age of light, but this did not last forever. Again the first flame begins to fade, and the 'darksign' is seen on some humans (carriers of the Dark Soul). This is also known as the 'curse of undeath'.

    "Those branded with the darksign are reborn after death, but will one day lose their mind and go hollow". Carriers of the darksign cannot die, they resurrect at a bonfire but lose a part of themselves each time they die, and eventually go hollow, turning into mindless undead. The first appearance of the darksign was in the Ringed City, where Gwyn branded the ringed knights with it, as he had begun to fear humanity after seeing their power during the war with the dragons. Although not seen in the DS1 intro, humanity had been able to forge powerful weapons and armour from the abyss, and aided the other lords in defeating the dragons. Gwyn branded them with the darksign, containing the power of their dark souls within a ring of fire. It seems that he was successful, as once branded, humanity lost it's connection to the abyss, or at least it's control over it, as there is no evidence of humans ever again wielding powers given to them by the Dark Soul. As well as placing rings of fire to contain the power of the dark soul, Gwyn also created a ringed city at the edge of the world ostensibly as a gift for the pygmies, but in reality this was just another method of sealing away the power of the Dark Soul.

    We hear nothing of the darksign again until the time of DS1, where the first flame is fading and the curse of undeath has ravaged the kingdoms of men. Now I will admit to speculation here, but the most popular and fitting explanation for the simultaneous rise of the curse of undeath and the fading of The First Flame, is that Gwyn somehow linked the fire to humanity. Perhaps as the first flame burns low, it starts to burn humanity as fuel and is able to keep itself alight for a while longer. The problem for us is that when humans lose their humanity (which is simply a fragment of the dark soul) they also lose their minds and go hollow. It seems very likely that Gwyn intentionally created the curse of undeath as a way to bring humans on to his side. The nature of humans is dark, not light, and the fading of the flame caused the power of Gwyn's Light soul to fade, but not so for the Dark Soul. However, by creating the curse of undeath, Gwyn gave humans a reason to want the first flame to be rekindled and to return to his age of light where the gods could continue to rule. Gwyn created the way of white religion which worshipped him as a god, and instructed his children to shepherd humanity, and teach them to worship fire and light.

    For a long time we as players wondered what happened if we chose not to rekindle the first flame at the end of the game, but we now know that it doesn't matter what we decide. From the moment Gwyn first linked the fire, humanity lost its chance to see an age of dark and what it would mean for them. Now when the flame fades humans lose their dark soul and become undead, losing their connection with the dark. A true age of dark never comes. The first flame simply continues to smolder as embers, until the day someone with a powerful enough soul decides to reignite the flame and begin a new age of fire. This is what we know as 'the cycles' and continues for seemingly thousands of years until the events of the ringed city DLC, where the world has been burning far longer than it was ever supposed to and is finally turning to ash.

    It's a depressing situation, and is honestly a lose-lose situation for humanity. Either link the fire and continue to be manipulated and ruled over by the gods, or allow the fire to fade to scorn the gods, but in doing so doom ourselves to undeath.

    Thankfully the DLC for DS3 gave us a heart warming but bittersweet ending with the painter girl from Ariandel. It seems that with the Blood of the Dark Soul we retrieved with the help of Gael, she will paint for us a place where we can truly belong. A painted world with the Dark Soul as it's pigment. I believe this world will reflect the true nature of the age of dark, where humanity can retain it's connection to the dark and escape the curse of undeath. The world will be as it was supposed to be before Gwyn committed the 'first sin' and began the cycles. It will be a cold, dark and very gentle place, and will make us a goodly home. :')

    Metaphysics of Souls

    "Souls are the source of all life". Everything that can be thought of as alive, including the undead, possesses souls. When we kill something it loses it's souls, which we can acquire and use to increase our strength. More powerful beings own more/bigger souls. When souls are exposed to the air we see them as glowing/burning balls of smoke/light. It appears that there are 4 unique 'lord souls', and there are also generic souls, which are the souls we collect in the game when killing creatures. Souls seem to be the Dark Souls equivalent to energy. In dark souls 2, King Vendrick learns how to infuse souls into inanimate objects, creating 'golems', which are essentially the machines of the dark souls world. They can be 'programmed' to perform specific actions and are powered by souls, but do not have free will and consciousness like truly alive things do.

    Having souls and being 'alive' is not the same as having free will/consciousness. Hollows have souls and are clearly alive in some sense if the word, but they have lost their minds and their free will. When humans afflicted with the undead curse die they revive at a bonfire but lose some of their humanity (dark soul) and eventually go hollow (becoming beef jerky). As shown by Seigmeyer (among many others) and the existence of Londor, undead can retain their free-will so long as they have a sense of meaning and purpose, but if they lose that then they go mad and truly hollow. Even when fully hollow, creatures seem to retain some memory of their former purpose and are often found guarding their homelands or endlessly carrying out their former duty. This is speculation, but Gwyn appears to be hollow when we fight him. This suggests that just as humans can go hollow when they lose their humanity (dark soul fragment), so too can owners of the light soul like Gwyn.

    The dark soul can exist on its own as humanity sprites.

    Souls + Humanity + a body = Humans/pygmies

    Souls + Light Soul + a body = Gwyn and his bloodline

    When either of these lose their light/dark soul component, they become undead and eventually hollow.

    There is also some connection between souls and blood, perhaps souls reside in the blood.

    Evidence:

    -In the final Dark Souls 3 DLC, we see Gael consuming the blood of the pygmies to collect as much of the Dark Soul as he can, for his lady's painting.

    -Rats that eat human flesh often drop humanity.

    -Aldrich feasts on human flesh and ends up having a soul powerful enough to link the flame.

    -Owners of the lord souls pass on their powers via their bloodline. The Witch of Izalith has the Life Soul which gave her a mastery over fire. Her children share her powers. They develop fire sorceries and eventually pyromancy. This suggests to me that the Witch of Izalith passed on some of the life soul down her bloodline. The Light Soul gave Gwyn power over light. His daughter Gwynevere performed the healing miracle Bountiful Sunlight. His first-born son (who we now know to be the nameless king from DS3) was able to wield lightning spears like his father. Gwyndolin was able to manipulate light to create powerful illusions. It seems the Light Soul too is passed on down a bloodline. When human children are born, they are not hollows that then need to acquire humanity to become human, they are born with their humanity. They inherit some their Dark Soul from their parents.

    The furtive pygmy shared his lord soul among others. This could be a metaphor for him having many children, or it could mean he literally split the dark soul and gave fragments of it to others. Gwyn, like the pygmy, shared his lord soul with others, offering a portion of its power to Seath the Scaleless and The Four Kings of New Londo. There may be other examples or soul sharing but these are the only ones I remember.

    The conclusion I draw from the above points, is that the lord souls can be physically gifted to others, and are passed on down a bloodline.

    The Lord Souls

    Light Soul-Found by Gwyn. Gives power over light magic*, which includes lightning, healing, illusions, and time manipulation. Provides immense power when the first flame is burning strongly, but it's power fades with the first flame. The Light Soul must have provided Gwyn with great power, as he and his family were essentially able to rule as gods during the age of fire.

    * I purposefully avoid calling them miracles here. Miracles in-game are described literally as stories of magical events that allow you to recreate their effects. So when you cast the miracle sunlight spear, you are literally telling the story of when Gwyn threw spears of lightning, and the act of telling this story somehow gives you the power to throw lightning spears too. When Gwyn was throwing lightning spears he was presumably not telling stories about himself throwing lightning, he was actually performing magic, and so I say he has the power to perform light magic, not miracles.

    Dark Soul-The interesting one. Found by The Furtive Pygmy, who did not seek power and shared it with others. Contrary to the Light soul, the Dark Soul's power grows as the first flame fades. It exists as a counterpoint to the Light Soul. The powers provided by the dark soul are unclear, but the darksign is said to contain the power of dark in humans, and is often referred to as 'shackles' placed on man by the gods, so perhaps this is why humans don't seem to have access to any unique powers. In-game we see dark versions of sorceries, pyromancies and miracles that are described as similar to humanity in their nature, and deal dark damage, so perhaps these can be thought of as powers related to the Dark Soul. In the Ringed City DLC the Ringed Knight set tells us that their weapons and armour were forged in the abyss, so seemingly at one point humanity knew how to forge powerful equipment using the power of the Dark Soul.

    Interestingly, humanity is known to "go mad" at times, causing madness and destruction, first shown by events in Oolacile. Humanity is connected to the abyss, a mysterious realm of darkness that seems to appear and spread when humanity "goes mad". The abyss seems to manifest itself when humans experience extremes of negative emotion. The abyss in Oolacile originated from Manus, who was characterised by his intense DESIRE for his lost pendant, and the 'ornery WRATH' he felt towards the citizens of Oolacile who upturned his grave. The abyss spawned under New Londo when Kaathe tempted The Four Kings with the art of lifedrain. Here The Four Kings exhibit a LUST for power. In DS3 the abyss is found with Highlord Wolnir, who we are told had and intense desire to outlast all other kings. Again here we see PRIDE, FEAR and GREED, resulting in the abyss manifesting and consuming Wolnir. In the Ringed City DLC we experience the Abyss Swamp, filled with the locust preachers. "They were supposed to beckon men to the dark, but are unable to see past their own stomachs". Again, GLUTTONY linked to the abyss. If I didn't make it obvious enough, the abyss is clearly linked to the idea of sin, i.e. the negative aspects of humanity.

    The Dark Soul's true nature is supposedly quiet, calm, cool, and dark (duh) as we are told by the locust preachers and the painter girl, but in the presence of uncontrolled emotion it can cause great destruction. I really like this idea as it seems to be a direct comparison to humanity in real life. In the real world, humans are capable of doing great deeds and transforming the world for the better, but when we are corrupted by unstable emotions we can go mad and cause untold destruction and chaos. I love how FromSoftware has presented human nature to us in the Dark Souls games.

    Life Soul-Found by The Witch of Izalith. Seems to give her and her children power over fire. Fire seems to have a connection with life, as it was the first flame that brought true life into existence. The witch and her daughters attempted to recreate The First Flame using the power of the Life Soul, but lost control and created the bed of chaos and the race of demons. The idea of chaos seems to me to be a parallel to the idea of the abyss. The Dark Soul is harmless when under control, but when we lose control it can cause destruction. Likewise the Life Soul can be controlled and harnessed as a tool for good, but again if it is not kept under control it can create chaos and destruction.

    Death Soul-Found by Gravelord Nito, "first of the dead". Exists as the counterpoint to the Life Soul. Very little is given as to the powers it provides. We see Nito is able to spread disease to the everlasting dragons and he seems to have control over corpses and skeletons. Perhaps he is able to reanimate the dead by imparting some of the Death Soul in to them, but this is pure speculation. We are told that the followers of the occult once attempted to steal the power of Nito, but failed. Occult is a damage type in DS1 that deals bonus damage to Gwyn and those aligned with him. If these enemies of Gwyn desired the power of Nito, then it is implied that Nito had power even over Gwyn, but chose not to use it. Nito seemed to desire a peaceful existence and had little activity after the war with the dragons.

    So this is getting real long and I think I'll take a break here. I hope I helped some people understand the Dark Souls world a bit better, or at least gave you some enjoyable reading. This is only a tiny summary of Dark Souls lore, primarily on the nature of souls and the world of dark souls, but it is really useful foundational knowledge to help understand the rest of the game. I hope to write up on another topic soon but have yet to choose one, feel free to make requests! :D

    submitted by /u/egotisticalstoic
    [link] [comments]

    Loud ps4 fan when nearing waterfall

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 08:39 PM PDT

    Has anyone else had this problem or noticed that their ps4 fan got louder when getting near the waterfall in darkroot basin where you fight the hydra I noticed that the fan would gradually get louder when getting near the waterfall and once i was in it the fan would run at max speed i kept going near then would run away from the waterfall just to make sure i wasn't going crazy anyway i just was wondering if anyone had some answers or similar experience I doubt this matters but just in case i have a PS4 pro

    submitted by /u/689Reaper689
    [link] [comments]

    Just got to Anor Londo, I do not like the bone fairies or the lawn dart men

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 08:31 PM PDT

    After wading through the swampland for what felt like hours (thank god I got lost in darkroot and ended up with a lot of purple moss) I beat the spider witch.

    Afterwards I made my way up to firelink but noticed the bonfire was gone, this really worried me because the last bonfire I saw was next to the nice spider that taught me pyromancy.

    I made it to the blacksmith fortunately and I was not prepared for what lied ahead. I somehow got through Sen's fortress only dying 3 times (last section with boss not included) and found wizard man locked in a cage.

    I fought with the iron golem but kept getting groped and yeeted off the arena until I eventually beat and nearly died of a heart attack when the bone fairies kidnapped me.

    The view of Anor Londo was breathtaking but I felt intimidated by the guards so I tried exploring elsewhere first.

    This led me to the catacombs. I fortunately had a divine morning star but the area was still a maze to navigate. I especially hated the beyblades, screw those guys.

    I fought pinwheel man and was pleasantly surprised at how little health he had. After beating him I retreated to the bonfire to spend my souls but then returned to check the next area.

    I tried to use the skull lamp but it didn't work (I later realized it was because is was in my right hand) so I blindly navigated into the tomb of giants before being kicked of a cliff by an asshole and getting smothered by fat clerics and bone towers.

    I gave up and headed back to Anor Londo where I got eaten by a mimic chest. I went through the painting museum and realigned the bridge.

    I was about to go say hi to the bone fairies but then a blood stain apparition warned me that they were not friendly. After having a laugh at how they run towards you like a newborn learning to walk, I killed them and made my way to the "bridge" (archway).

    I fortunately noticed the bowmen before going up and tested a few things like if I could block them or if I could dodge. Turns out they have bloody homing arrows.

    I somehow got to the top and killed one of the archers first try but the second one just pushed me off the side. I returned to finish the job only to notice the respawn. I tried once more but after being thrown of the ledge again I called it a night.

    I really don't like the lawn dart men

    submitted by /u/dwarf_in_a_giant
    [link] [comments]

    On getting items from cheaters

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 03:00 PM PDT

    Before buying DS Remastered, I was warned by a friend not to take candy loot from strangers, and I stuck to this rule. Yesterday, however, I summoned a stranger to play with, and during the run though Undeadburg, I somehow picked up Twinkling Titanite from an undead. Realizing that something was not right, I dumped the loot and quit the game. So I have two questions in regards to cheaters:

    1) Can you still get banned if you dropped the loot / deleted a character ?

    2) Is it possible for cheaters to get their items in your inventory by some other means? I really don't understand how it actually happened since he wasn't near me when I picked it up.

    submitted by /u/diwayth_fyr
    [link] [comments]

    I’m stuck at ornstein and smough

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 04:12 PM PDT

    Hi I'm really stuck at ornstein and smough. I have so far managed to beat every boss at least in 1-3 tries which I think is pretty good since this is my first dark souls game. I'm a pyromancer and I can defeat ornstein pretty easily. It seems to be when I get to the second stage of the boss is where I die a lot. Though I can get smough to half health most of the time the closest I've gotten is about a quarter of health. I have been stuck on this boss for the past month or two I have taken breaks for like a couple days then I'll come back to fight him when Im in a better mood. It's really annoying cause I'm starting to lose interest in the game now cause I just keep dying to this boss. I know you can summon solaire but I find getting to his summon sign annoying and never worth it as I just lose a lot of health and have to use estus flask also doesn't even sometimes come through. I'm playing on Nintendo switch mainly handheld mode. Any tips that can help me I'm not looking to cheese the boss I just want to beat it fair and square.

    submitted by /u/Elegant_Mud_8492
    [link] [comments]

    What is the most memorable location in Dark Souls?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 08:49 AM PDT

    Hello hollows! I am writing a bachelor thesis on what makes locations memorable in games, and I would like to know what you all consider the most memorable location in Dark Souls, and why. Below is a 2-question form which I would be grossly incandescently grateful if you could answer. (My personal one is Firelink)

    https://forms.gle/fjh6kvVBxvQNJRh57

    submitted by /u/eliasmessias
    [link] [comments]

    Iron Golem used Hidden Body. It Was Super Effective!

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 07:08 AM PDT

    Quite possibly the strangest glitch I've experienced during the Iron Golem fight. I was....confused...

    https://clips.twitch.tv/TriumphantPlumpWasabiKlappa-m21mpQ5gqQww96Vj

    submitted by /u/Kwild096
    [link] [comments]

    Help me fight Gwyn. Soapstone down. Co op. Please. PC and prepare to die edition

    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 02:01 AM PDT

    Steam. Let's go

    submitted by /u/Maddux4163
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment