• Breaking News

    Friday, April 16, 2021

    Dark Souls 2 Weekly General Discussion Thread (April 16, 2021)

    Dark Souls 2 Weekly General Discussion Thread (April 16, 2021)


    Weekly General Discussion Thread (April 16, 2021)

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 09:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the weekly general discussion thread! This thread is for the community to discuss whatever is on their mind (whether it is Dark Souls 2 related or not).

    Have a question that you've been meaning to ask but haven't gotten around to making a post yet? Something on your mind you want to discuss? Playing a game that you think others would like? Comment away! All we ask is that you are respectful of each other, and have fun!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    ah yes, a only whip run, this will be fun

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 12:27 AM PDT

    Conquerer of Adversities

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 10:07 AM PDT

    Vendrick is the most underrated bosses in the whole series, and has genius boss design.

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 05:57 AM PDT

    There is the lore aspect that I'm not gonna get into, but I think Vendrick is one of the best characters in the series and along with Aldia, are the best characters in DS2. His lore is incredibly poetic and compelling but that isn't what this post is about.

    Before the fight even begins, the game builds up a extreme amount of hype for the fight. You hear about this enigmatic king for the whole game and travel through many different and varied locations in order to get the opportunity to reach him. He isn't at Drangleic castle, so you descend into the shrine of Amana and finally reach the undead crypt. You face Velstadt, his most loyal knight and casually walk down the stairs to see if a bonfire is there. Instead you are greeted with a dark room with a giant intimidating hollow walking around in a circle. It doesn't take long before the initial fear of being face to face with this scary enemy turns into sadness and shock. You expected a grand duel, such as with Gwyn. You probably expected it to be sad(like the Gwyn fight) but I don't think anyone anticipated this kind of atmosphere. The arena, the music, it creates a specific kind of feeling that I never got in a video game again. And to the side on the ground, is the king's ring. Such a important item just tossed in a pile.

    Now obviously if you attack him here, you will get obliterated. But I think having him be a optional boss that you can only beat later in the game is actually a good thing, it gives you a motive. As you continue to learn about Vendrick and Nashandra, he becomes a increasingly tragic and sympathetic character, so seeing him in such a sad state gives you the motivation to euthanize him, to give him mercy.

    Once you got the giant souls, the fight itself is actually kinda genius. At a lore perspective, he should be unbelievably overpowered and completely beyond your level to defeat. However he has hollowed to such a degree that he is basically one of the basic hollow enemies throughout the game but way larger. Not only does this make you think about Vendrick whenever you face one of the hollows after the fight, in hindsight that makes the enemies of the undead crypt really good foreshadowing for the boss. The fight itself is long and kinda disappointing, he only has a few attacks that do insane damage, the pity you feel just makes the atmosphere of the fight more thick. When you defeat him, it makes the player wonder if that was the right thing to do. It also makes the player feel powerless almost. If Vendrick had ANY semblance of his mind left or any will to kill you, he would be a extremely tough foe like Gael in DS3.

    Overall, the fight has an extremely unique and special atmosphere that I don't think has ever been properly replicated, and the disappointing fight actually kinda helps it's design. His lore is great(but that is a discussion for another time). It blows my mind that people talk about sad encounters like Maiden Astraea and Sif but don't mention the unmatched atmosphere of this boss. Vendrick is one of the most underrated fights in the whole series imo.

    Also I wrote this on mobile so sorry about the formatting and grammar of the post.

    submitted by /u/DerpyNachoZ
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls 2: Sotfs Gameplay on PS5 (Rock solid 60FPS, HDR)

    Posted: 15 Apr 2021 11:43 PM PDT

    Will there eventually be another "Return to Drangleic" event?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 01:01 PM PDT

    Those are always fun. DS2 is incredibly enjoyable, but more so with other people.

    submitted by /u/CrimsonToker707
    [link] [comments]

    I just got platinum

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 08:04 AM PDT

    Praise the sun, I finally got platinum after 2.5 playthroughs.

    Now to get DSR.

    Disclaimer: I started with DS3 and been going backwards, but I must say that unraveling the lore is quite fun this way. Its like watching prequels like wolverine and the hobbit.

    submitted by /u/16catfeet
    [link] [comments]

    Does Dark Souls 2 have a better/nicer community?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2021 04:50 PM PDT

    About a week ago, I started the game, I was a huge noob (I'm still not the best player.) And I was trying to kill the enemies in Heide's Tower of Flame, and then someone invaded me. This was my first online encounter at all, I'm talking I've never summoned anyone, ive never invaded etc. I saw the invader up past where the heide knight is with the spear and just before the hellkite dragon, I was still picking off the enemies, the invader stood at his spawn point until I finished them. Afterward he came down and gave me a +8 lightning longbow and a ton of arrows, then he ran to the hellkite dragon and casted some sort of spell that melted its health, this is when I realized he was trying to help me. I shot at the dragon with the bow that he gave me, while I was doing this that heide knight with the spear was giving me trouble. After we killed the dragon, he came down and dropped a seed of a giant tree, I assumed he wanted me to use it so he could take care of the knight, after I used it, he started shooting lasers out of his sword and melted its health, I was amazed at how this invader was just helping me do all of this. He led me up to the place where the hellkite dragon was and to my surprise, he had managed to lay a bunch of +10 weapons, and maxed out mad warriors set. I kept spamming the kindest gestures I had, after my rampage of thankfulness, he simply bowed down, and fell into the water. This was the first time anything close to this has ever happened to me. In both of the other games invaders were mean and wanted to kill you, summons were there to help you with a boss or something, and never did I find anyone nice enough to help me kill a dragon, give me a whole arsenal of +10 weapons, and maxed out armor.

    submitted by /u/ShadowWeeho
    [link] [comments]

    I love this game!!!!

    Posted: 15 Apr 2021 10:58 PM PDT

    My god I wish I picked up this game sooner. This is not my first souls game the first one I played was 3 and omg I never played a game like it before. I must of died countless times. This game though its...it's I dont know I have not played 3 in years but this games seems so much harder....and I love that. I just finished fighitng the headless snake women and all the bosses have been really fun and challanging ( I wish I new about the ballista crossbow for the pursuer or making the dragonrider fall to his own death could of dodged aobut 10+ deaths but hey theres always ng+) except for the skeleton lords and the jabba the hunt looking boss . but yeah just wanted to post on here letting yall know this games is freaking great Wish I picked it up years ago.

    submitted by /u/Sora6594
    [link] [comments]

    Lmao

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 09:34 AM PDT

    ps4 controller not working even with ds4

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 10:56 AM PDT

    im trying to get my ps4 controller to work with ds4 on the steam version of ds2 sotfs im confused because i played it like this a few months ago and it was fine but now when i launch the game with or with out ds4 the camera spins around x is o and squire is x one of my triggers is start im lost and it seems no one else has posted about this problem from what i see

    submitted by /u/bighomomike
    [link] [comments]

    What is the point of no return?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 12:56 PM PDT

    I want to do most of the game before DLC, but do the DLC before getting to the end.

    submitted by /u/SheridanCainReddit
    [link] [comments]

    HELP PS4 VELSTAD

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 11:42 AM PDT

    Need help with VELSTAD souls level 950,000

    submitted by /u/Strict_Lavishness239
    [link] [comments]

    The negativity towards this game is sad

    Posted: 15 Apr 2021 10:13 PM PDT

    I have played through every souls game multiple times. Dark souls 2 is the only one I have yet to finish. Why? Because I went into the game with a bad mindset towards it. I get it, some people don't like the game and that's fine! Everyone has their own opinion. However, through people I know and online I was told that "DS2 sucks" etc. Because of this, I was noticing everything bad that I disliked about DS2, rather than enjoying the game for what it is. This made me not want to play it and move on to the other games.

    It's completely fine to express your opinion towards games to new players. But don't tell people a game sucks solely because you don't enjoy it. Going into a game after hearing bad things about it makes it 99% less enjoyable. I made this mistake with my girlfriend after telling her I hated DS2.

    However, I can say that my opinion has changed because I decided to enjoy the game myself rather than focusing on the bad aspects I had been told about. DS2 has my two absolute favorite npcs/questline in all of the soulsborne games, as well as a few of my favorite bosses. Just felt like I needed to share this because others may feel the same, and a negative stigma like this around a game dissuades others from giving it a try.

    submitted by /u/kakyyyoin
    [link] [comments]

    Buffing infused weapons?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 07:44 AM PDT

    I looked it up and it says you can buff infused weapons. However, I can't buff my lightning infused mace with resin. Does it only work with spells?

    submitted by /u/Tahji1102
    [link] [comments]

    (PS4) Sunlight Medal farming - what are the best places to get summoned?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 01:02 PM PDT

    So I'm well into my first DS2 playthough, and I'm already looking forward to the Platinum trophy. I understand I need to max out the Heirs of the Sun covenant to obtain all miracles, and the easiest way to do that is by helping players online with boss fights.

    Problem is, I think I may be too overlevelled to get summoned often. My current soul level is 125, and my soul memory is 1,227,851.

    I've read the Smelter Demon is a hot spot, and I enjoyed this boss fight so I'm willing to help people with it. But I've left a summon sign near the first Iron Keep bonfire for about half an hour now, and got nothing yet.

    So what are the boss fights that I have the best chance of getting summoned to with these stats? And what's the best location to leave the summon sign in each of them? Consider that I haven't reached any boss beyond the Glass Knight.

    submitted by /u/DaryanAvi
    [link] [comments]

    What shields do you like to use?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 05:29 AM PDT

    I keep finding myself using the Drangleic shield on basically every play through so far. It's the only consistency between the load-out of all my characters. What shields do you guys like using and why?

    submitted by /u/DerpyNachoZ
    [link] [comments]

    want to get tseldora set, should i kill maughlin?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2021 09:04 PM PDT

    I want to get the tseldora set because it looks dope as hell and it gives you more souls. Should i kill maughlin for it? I dont really buy anything from him anyway. looked at his full inventory on the wiki and i dont think i would need any of it. also hes kind of a greedy jerk since i gave him 16000 souls. I dont mind paying a certain number of souls to speak to him anyway, and I want a light set so my equipment load isnt too high. BTW, Im a quality melee build (50 str and 40 dex)

    submitted by /u/YourInlaw
    [link] [comments]

    Path to Sir Alonne

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 04:16 AM PDT

    Do the knights on the way to sir alonne ever despawn? I've gone through them about 9 times completely and they still spawn. In other areas of the game, killing off enemies about 8 times usually cause them to despawn. I've killed every other boss in the game and was saving sir alonne for last and wanted the build up to him to be epic and uninterrupted by 20 angry alonne knights and salamanders.

    submitted by /u/Sooperk33
    [link] [comments]

    [Crosspost; 58-Page Lore Essay] "The First Sin: The Mystery of Velka" is finally finished!

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 06:26 AM PDT

    Crosspost from my original post on /r/DarkSouls, because I can't share between the subreddits unfortunately.

    Hey everyone, this is /u/Al-Hatoor here (formerly known as /u/IceFireWarden)! I'm usually a frequenter of the Elder Scrolls community and its various subreddits; in TES I'm known for the Uutak Mythos world-building project that has received attention from both developers and fans over the years, and my Anuvanna'si: The Hero, the Prisoner, and the Godhead with a Thousand Faces (a 117-page lore essay that went into detail about the player characters of that rpg franchise and the metanarrative of the series as a whole), which also was nicely received by the community as well.

    I have been a huge fan of the Dark Souls series for many years, and have always wanted to unravel the more unreliable and esoteric secrets of its universe as well, but for the longest time I just couldn't find anything truly fascinating. Then I had a stroke of genius, or at the very least a comedic epiphany, and began connecting thoughts that I never saw before in the setting (and perhaps you all have never seen before as well?).

    So after three months of writing, not-writing, writing, procrastinating, and stressing I bring to you The First Sin: The Mystery of Velka Unraveled (Part I), a treatise that goes into depth concerning the mysterious goddess of witches, her association with the concept of sin, and her relationships with the other gods of Anor Londo. Within you'll discover such fascinating ideas like:

    • Was Seath a playa?
    • Was the Painted World of Ariamis actually a cold, dark, and very gentle place?
    • Is Filianore the Sleeping Beauty to Gwynevere's Cinderalla?
    • Why was the Nameless King such a bro?
    • And so much more!

    Haha, I'm kidding. But in seriousness (as I don't want to spoil too much), the essay does talk about Faraam, Filianore, Gwyn, Gwynevere, Gwyndolin, Priscilla, Yorshka, the Blades of the Darkmoon/Blue Sentinels, Lord's Blade Ciaran, and several other interesting entities within the Dark Souls universe and ties them together through what may be simple conjecture, or the accidental truth.

    But of course, the lore is what you make of it. Hope you all enjoy reading, and remember to drink your ovaltine. The links for reading are provided below:

    Google Docs Version

    PDF Version

    submitted by /u/Al-Hatoor
    [link] [comments]

    A Boss difficulty ranking from a guy who just beat the game.

    Posted: 15 Apr 2021 07:52 PM PDT

    So I just beat the game like 30 minutes ago and I gotta say, it was a lot better than what I thought it was going to be. Sure, it has it's problems (mainly the game's overall slowness and the multitude of below average bosses), but they don't tarnish the entire experience for me.

    Speaking of the bosses, I wanted to make a list ranking the overall difficulty of each of the bosses I fought (excluding both the Darklurker and the Ancient Dragon, as I fought neither of them) and get your guy's opinions on how you all fared against them. But before we do that, I just wanted to say ahead of time that this isn't my first go around with a Souls game; I've actually beaten both DS3 and the DS remake. I also wanted to let you guys know that for almost the entire game I was using a fire longsword, twin dragon greatshield, and Aurous' armor set. I also dedicated most of my souls to strength, stamina, adaptability and vigor.

    So with that out of the way, let's get started:

    1. Covetous Demon (0 deaths and 0 hits) (I actually fought this battle naked because I didn't want to risk him eating my armor set. Not only did that not happen, I never once got hit.)

    2. Magus and the Congregation (0 deaths) (Really? Like wtf is this?)

    3. The Last Giant (0 deaths) (Literally one of the easiest fights ever for me and yet, I died to the Tower Knight in DS more times than I would like to say.)

    4. The Giant Lord (0 deaths) (Literally the Last Giant but with a sword... and fireballs hurdling towards you.)

    5. The Rotten (0 deaths and 0 hits) (The second and last boss to not hit me: The Rotten reminds me a lot of The Dirty Colossus but with a very basic moveset.)

    6. Skeleton Lords (0 deaths) (Annoying, but easy.)

    7. Royal Rat Vanguard (0 death) (I kept on hacking away at every rat I saw just waiting for something to happen and then... nothing.)

    8. The Demon of Song (1 death) (This dude hits pretty hard but when you learn his moveset he becomes pretty easy.)

    9. Royal Rat Authority (0 deaths) (Heard a lot of things about this fight going in but came out supremely underwhelmed.)

    10. The Pursuer (1 death) (Tried to parry. Died. Tried again. Success. Then ballista.)

    11. Dragonrider (1 death) (Very easy fight. Over thought it the first time around.)

    12. Executioner's Chariot (0 deaths) (A lot of style and no substance.)

    13. Twin Dragonriders (0 deaths) (More of the same, except this time, I was ready.)

    14. King Vendrick (0 deaths) (Meaty and hits hard but is slow as heck.)

    15. Ruin Sentinels (1 death) (Kill the first one without taking a lot of hits and then try to get the second one to half HP before the third one shows up. Pray if it doesn't work.)

    16. Nashandra (0 deaths) (An absolute joke of a last boss if you don't count Aldia. Nashandra is stupidly easy if you know how to play the game. I literally beat both the Watcher and the Defender and went straight into the Nashandra fight with only 4 estus' and still won. F'n joke boss.)

    17. Guardian Dragon (0 deaths) (Great arena, subpar boss.)

    18. Mytha, the Baneful Queen (0 deaths) (I knew about setting the wheel on fire before going in, so I didn't have to worry about being poisoned.)

    19. Throne Watcher and Throne Defender (1 death) (Learn their moveset and try your best to separate them. You can get some really good hits in if you stay patient.)

    20. Lost Sinner (0 deaths) (Fought her in the dark and still had loads of fun. She reminded me a lot of the Abyss Watchers for some weird reason.)

    21. Old Dragonslayer (1 death) (Again, learn it's moveset and dodge. That simple.)

    22. The Looking Glass Knight (0 deaths) (Hack. Retreat. Hack. Retreat. PUNISH!!!! Retreat.)

    23. Velstadt, The Royal Aegis (1 death) (Ok, NOW we're getting somewhere. This dude is f'n AWESOME! His moveset is really weird sometimes and he hits REALLY hard, but he's a very worthy challenger. 5 thumbs up!)

    24. The Duke's Dear Freja (1 death) (Oh. My. God. Did it feel good to kill this bitch! I f'n HATE spiders. Good riddance.)

    25. Flexile Sentry (2 deaths) (Shocked? I know, I was too, trust me. These guys were hard as hell to beat but when I finally did, boy was it AMAZING!)

    26. The Belfry Gargoyles (0 deaths) (GANK SQUAD)

    27. The Old Iron King (4 deaths) (Lol, I missed a bonfire. Whoops.)

    28. Smelter Demon (5 deaths) (I raged... a lot!)

    29. Scorpioness Najika (2 deaths) (I fought Najika SUPER underleveled and got my ass handed to me the first two tries. But sooner than later I finally caught on to her.)

    30. Aldia, Scholar of the First Sin (1 death) (Now this... this was FIGHT! From its large health pool, hard hitting attacks and great lore: Aldia is a great endgame boss that both Gwynn and the Soul of Cinder would be proud of.)

    So yeah everyone, that was my list. Now I want to hear what you guys have to say!

    Edit: f'n rats

    submitted by /u/Celeborn2001
    [link] [comments]

    75% of the messages on the ground are trolls

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 09:31 AM PDT

    As a noob it's pretty annoying. I laughed at first but after the first 500 "illusory walls ahead" and messages telling me to hit the fire trap in iron keep I don't even read them any more, I think they need a down vote option...

    submitted by /u/Alarmed_Cranberry381
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the best powerstance build?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2021 09:25 PM PDT

    I've played through once with a quality build and a lot of armor, and after finishing Hollow Knight I'm really getting the itch to start a new character in SOTFS. So tell me, what's the best powerstance build?

    submitted by /u/hcmrpdman
    [link] [comments]

    There's a way to fix this glitch or just i am doing something wrong?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 07:24 AM PDT

    Sadly I don't have a photo of the glitch so this is going to be a little hard to explain,basicly i tried to equip the flynn's ring but it leveled only 1 damage,so i removed my armour and still only 1 damage,my weapons and still 1 damage,and it looks that it would'nt get fixed

    submitted by /u/idontfindnamelol
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment