• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 24, 2021

    Dark Souls Weekly General Discussion Thread (April 23, 2021)

    Dark Souls Weekly General Discussion Thread (April 23, 2021)


    Weekly General Discussion Thread (April 23, 2021)

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 09:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the weekly general discussion thread! This thread is for the community to discuss whatever is on their mind (whether it is Dark Souls 1 related or not).

    Have a question that you've been meaning to ask but haven't gotten around to making a post yet? Something on your mind you want to discuss? Playing a game that you think others would like? Comment away! All we ask is that you are respectful of each other, and have fun!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    (DS1) This one mistake almost made me skip on the game

    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 01:25 AM PDT

    First of all, I would like to apologize in advance for my english.

    Now, let me tell you a story. Years ago (before the remaster) I had heard about the first Dark Souls. The game had a reputation of being one of the hardest video games at that time. I was intrigued and so I decided to pick it up. After quickly completing the tutorial area, I went straight towards the undead graveyard, and got utterly destroyed. Thinking that's how the game is supposed to be, I got discouraged and stopped playing.

    After a couple of months, I decided to give it another try, seeing how the combat system so far felt interesting, engaging and different from any other game. Of course the same thing happened. Unfortunately, this time I got really frustrated thinking it's too difficult for me and I'm just not that good of a player. So I decided to uninstall it.

    Years later, after the remastered version appeared, and was on sale, there was something about it that pushed me to give it one last try. Perhaps I wanted to prove to myself that I can actually finish such a challenging game.

    So I did the exact same thing, however this time I actually managed to kill like 5 of those damn skeletons. However, it just didn't feel right, so I went ahead and did some googling ,and found out that the undead graveyard was actually a high level zone, and the path that you were supposed to follow was actually in the complete opposite direction. Imagine how amazed I was when I was able to kill those undead in two hits instead of the other way around. I am so glad I persevered because this game is one of the best I have ever played. Right now I am currently in Anor Londo, having just defeated those awful archers, and I am enjoying every single second of it.

    submitted by /u/Timotey27
    [link] [comments]

    My first run ever, first boss fight and... first try? :D

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 10:47 AM PDT

    I finally got gud.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 09:50 PM PDT

    After several years, and 3 attempts to play this game, i finally got gud.

    I have tried on three separate occasions to play dark souls. The first time I actually returned the game to GameStop because I was so bad at it. The second time I got to blighttown and then rage quit because of toxic.

    Several years went by and I played through, and for the most part beat, bloodborne.(I got to the final boss but never actually fought it because I wanted to complete the DLC first. Got stuck on the first DLC boss and then lost my ability to play the game after a long break)

    I also played a lot of nioh, some sekiro, and Jedi fallen order. After such a long time, my experiences with these other games finally led me to attempting dark souls one more time, (specifically the remastered version)

    I've been powering through the game Boss by boss having almost no serious trouble except for a couple bosses.

    I'm now literally at the end of the main game. But before I can fight the final boss, I have to do the DLC.

    I'm so proud of myself, and I can't wait to play dark souls 2 and 3. I wanted to play them for years but refuse to until I beat the first one. The dark souls world is so beautiful and I've always wanted to experience it but was too bad at the game before in my youth to do so.

    Praise the sun.

    submitted by /u/SeedofEvil5217
    [link] [comments]

    Best Soulslike that isn’t from Fromsoft and isn’t Hollow Knight?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 11:48 AM PDT

    Once I beat Dark Souls 3, I kinda want to try out other Soulslikes that aren't from Fromsoft. I'm particularly terrible at any 2d games, so uh, games like Hollow Knight are kinda off the table.

    (no i haven't become obsessed with the soulsborne formula, what're you talking about?)

    submitted by /u/PugHugUwU
    [link] [comments]

    Starting Dark Souls II wish me luck

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 01:15 PM PDT

    Starting my first play of part 2 in this magnificent series. DS1 is one of the best games ever, hopefully 2 will be just as good. I'll come back to DS1 later for platinum. All I need is to finish the rare weapons trophy and the collect sorceries/miracles/pyros. I've only platinumed 2 games - Bloodborne and Ghost of Tsushima, but Souls will definitely be the third

    submitted by /u/MoonlitBadlands
    [link] [comments]

    ARRRHRHHHGGHHHHHHHH

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 09:45 PM PDT

    I think i'm too stupid for this game, but we carry on. The undead burg will forever live in infamy in my heart, and if the rest of the areas take me this much time, I will be playing this game for a lifetime INSHALLAH BROTHERS

    EDIT: JUST BEAT THE TAURUS DEMON LETS FUVKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    submitted by /u/23yesterday23
    [link] [comments]

    I’m really bad at this game

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 10:08 PM PDT

    (DS3) See I'm bad at the game. It took me 2 days to beat the TUTORIAL BOSS. So I'm doing something to help me get better at the game I'm going to fight Aldrich all by myself with no friends (because I beat the bosses with my friends) so wish me luck (:

    submitted by /u/sxtixxskt
    [link] [comments]

    Just defeated O&S with no help of Solaire's

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 09:46 AM PDT

    Hi! It's my first DSR playthrough and I've just beat these two pokémons and it felt GREAT. The perfect challenge, better music, beautifully designed arena and O&S themselves, perfect boss, in short! If you're interested, I'm playing for dex build with uchigitana (so far). Just wanted to share my experience and joy, thanks for reading this far )))

    submitted by /u/Necrodancer-1540
    [link] [comments]

    Need help! Firelink fire keeper dead

    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 03:31 AM PDT

    DS noob here 😅. Just got the fire keeper soul from blight town. Found the shortcut back to firelink and discovered the fire keeper is dead. I know this is a quest to anor londo (which I think is a WHOLE journey itself 😬).

    My question is, should I save the fire keeper first, or continue in blight town like I've been doing, and do this after? I read that there's only a window of time for you to be able to save the fire keeper. I just don't want to lose the bonfire at firelink.

    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

    submitted by /u/Middle-Vermicelli-26
    [link] [comments]

    Made a DS1 playlist to share

    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 02:56 AM PDT

    Why is this game so hard

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 03:53 PM PDT

    I have 5 hours on my first game (DSR) and can't get past the undead burg.... I don't even think I've got to the boss yet. how do you guys have fun doing this?? It's so insanely infuriating.

    Any tips?

    submitted by /u/UltraConstructor
    [link] [comments]

    Is the BOSS upgrade path good for zweihander?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 07:20 AM PDT

    I don't know any path should I take I'm new to the soul's games and I'm now playing the first one

    submitted by /u/IcePsychological3950
    [link] [comments]

    Is a bug?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 03:38 AM PDT

    When I go to fight gwyndolin, I rest on the bonfire before the fight. But when it kills me, I spawn in the first bonfire of anor londo. I've tried teleporting to firelink and then going back to gwyndolin's bonfire to fight him. when i die again (yes im kinda noob) i go back to the first bonfire of anor londo. is it a bug? sorry for my bad english <3

    submitted by /u/derek_ssj16
    [link] [comments]

    Killing skeletons and Divine weapons

    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 03:26 AM PDT

    Okay I need some help regarding the skeltons in the catacombs. Are divine weapons the only weapons that can kill them ? I've been unable to find a strong divine weapon and need help getting one ???

    I'm pretty far into the game but I've basically avoided the skeletons just past firelink shrine because I've no strong divine weapon. I've already a good heavy build having the Giants armour maxed out and the black iron Greatsheild. My main weapon is the black knight sword at plus 5 ((killed all the black knights before I realised there was better weapons they could of dropped so I dk where to get a better main weapon as well)) I've finished with Izilith and I'm not far away from seath the scale less. I could really do with some advice on weapons if someone can help me out

    submitted by /u/WolfTone787
    [link] [comments]

    Controversial souls opinions?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 01:05 PM PDT

    Curious to get some unusual Dark Souls takes from people. A few of mine are that Blighttown is honestly a really good area, O&S aren't actually as hard as people say (you just have to be patient, 4 Kings are much worse) and VIT is a very over-rated stat (if you know how to find a good time to heal, it doesn't really help that much with extending estus reserves).

    submitted by /u/Overgrown_fetus1305
    [link] [comments]

    Archer in anor londo

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 07:54 AM PDT

    Can anyone help with archers ı've been stuck here for hours.

    submitted by /u/pxqpxq0
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to do the dlc now?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 02:45 AM PDT

    I just beat seath yesterday and I'm around level 60 something but I want to know if I can do the dlc now without struggling too much because I know it's possible at sl1 but I just want to make it so it's not too difficult

    submitted by /u/Ice7674
    [link] [comments]

    Is the game dead? PS4

    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 02:32 AM PDT

    I just jumped on after a few months away, and I'm not being summoned at all. Placed a lvl 15 sign with +5 weapon level at Bell Gargoyles. A lvl 27 with +9 WL at Blight Town. A lvl 50 with +15 WL in Anor Londo. I just want some jolly co-operation.

    submitted by /u/The_Penguin_Butler
    [link] [comments]

    How well does faith/lightning work in the first dark souls?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 12:41 PM PDT

    On the PS4 version I went strength, quality and magic and do well with dark bead and crystal magic weapon. Is faith/lightning as strong? And what spells are the best for damage?

    submitted by /u/GoosePants72
    [link] [comments]

    An Analysis of The Abyss

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 08:09 PM PDT

    So I thought I'd sort of give my views on the Abyss from all of the things I've seen in the game, it won't be perfect but I hope it will give a bit of clarity on this influential force that we don't know a great deal about. This is a very long read, so I only recommend you really want to learn about the Abyss. Also there will be spoilers for the main game and the Artorias and The Abyss DLC.

    Oversimplification/TLDR: The Abyss is an environment of great darkness that can be formed in numerous ways, it affects gods, dragons and normal humans and doesn't affect pygmies, primordial men, primordial serpents and darkwraiths, essentially anything close to the darkness. The Abyss in New Londo functions similarly to water under great pressure: it doesn't spread, doesn't corrupt but kills anything that steps into it without a covenant or that isn't very close to the dark naturally. The Abyss fathered by Manus, however, corrupts and mutates those who are near or within it, imbibing them with darkness and driving them mad. The Abyss behaves differently depending on how it was formed, meaning that being immune to one Abyss doesn't mean you are immune to all forms of the Abyss.

    What is The Abyss?

    So in short and simple terms, The Abyss is the term given to an area that has become host to a truly great amount of darkness, many different things can cause darkness to accumulate in an area such as a great deal of humanity being pillaged and sort of "leaking" into an area, increasing the amount of darkness in an area. An important thing to note about The Abyss that, in my opinion, The Abyss is not a single place, but an environment that can manifest anywhere where great amounts of darkness are present, it isn't anchored to one place. Ingward, one of the Three Sealers of New Londo emphasizes the threat of the Darkraiths saying that they were a threat to "Any living thing with a soul" and we know that Darkwriaths not only steal the lifeforce and health of their victims, but also suck the humanity right out of humans. We know that humanity is a dark part of humans, separate from their normal souls. I personally believe that the reason New Londo became host to The Abyss is due to the massive amounts of dark humanity that was being pillaged by The Four Kings and the Darkwraiths, their greed for humanity caused them to intake so much of it that it warped their bodies as well as causing a great amount of darkness to accumulate in the deepest area of New Londo, forming an Abyss.

    Another city that became host to the Abyss is Oolacile, however the circumstances surrounding The Abyss forming here is different from the circumstances surrounding the Abyss in New Londo. The Abyss in Oolacile was formed due to a primordial man named Manus, we don't know a great deal about Manus, but we can infer from dialogue from Marvelous Chester and the area he is found in, that Manus was a human who was somehow slighted by the citizens of Oolacile, this could be to a number of reasons, they may have defaced his grave or they may have tortured Manus, we don't know for sure, but we know that whatever they did to him caused him to go insane, as well as causing the darkness within Manus to seemingly spiral out of control, we know that Primordial Men were close to the Abyss and they would probably have quite alot of darkness within them considering the fact that they were close descendants of the Furtive Pygmy, bearer of the original Dark Soul. Considering all these things, it would seem that the great amount of darkness within Manus went wild and spilled out into Oolacile, forming an Abyss within Oolacile, however this Abyss behaves differently to the Abyss in New Londo, the Abyss in New Londo is confined to the depths of New Londo and does not move or spread, nor does it actually corrupt any of the beings within or near it, the Abyss in Oolacile, on the other hand, spread outwards from its origins and corrupted the residents of Oolacile. Interestingly enough, the people who were corrupted by the Oolacile Manus was the "Father" of develop certain growths on their bodies that resemble the growths found on Manus himself as well as being able to cast versions of his dark sorceries, this leads me to believe that the circumstances that lead to the formation of an Abyss can determine how it functions and how it behaves. I personally believe that the reason the Abyss in New Londo was less virulent than the Abyss in Oolacile was due to the Abyss being formed of a sort of "Tranquil" darkness that is found in humans, this "tranquil darkness" is mentioned in the descriptions of some dark sorceries in DS2 and is considered to be the "natural" state of darkness. I believe that since the New Londo Abyss was formed from a gentle darkness, it doesn't spread to or corrupt those around it, wheras the Abyss fathered by Manus was formed due to the virulent agitated darkness that was found within Manus, which means it spreads and corrupts those around him with an insanity and violence present in Manus himself.

    Who The Abyss Affects and How It Affects Them

    An important thing to note is that some beings in Dark Souls are immune to the effects of the Abyss, in short, any being that is very close to the dark is unaffected by the Abyss, beings such as Darkwraiths, Primordial Men, Pygmies and Primordial Serpents are completely immune to the effects of any Abyss and can safely traverse it and be in its presence with no ill effects. We DO know however that members of Gwyn's race, normal humans and dragons are affected by the Abyss. The Abyss in New Londo functions similarly to a massive amount of water, immediately killing those who enter it without a covenant whereas the Abyss in Oolacile actually corrupts those who are overcome by it, mutating and imbuing them with darkness and afflicting them with insanity. A covenant with the creatures of the Abyss allows those in possession of it to traverse the New Londo Abyss without harm, however they can still be corrupted by the Abyss found in Oolacile due to how much more aggressive and corrupting it is.

    That's pretty much all I know about the Abyss that appears in Dark Souls 1, if you have anything to add, see anything I missed or just wish to discuss, free feel to comment!

    submitted by /u/ScroobagMcGee
    [link] [comments]

    Better weapon than Black Knight Sword +5?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 06:02 PM PDT

    I've played a good chunk of this game with a Black Knight Sword +5. Before I go into the last few areas I was thinking about upgrading my weapon. Seems like this sword doesn't go any higher. It says it does 330.

    I like it fine, should I stick with it? Or is there something better / stronger I should try? I was thinking Black Knight Greatsword but idk if I can get that - it's a random drop?

    Also read about Zwiehander but it looks like at even +15 it's less than 330 damage? Plus I tried it abs it seems slow to swing compared to the one I have, which is already not that fast.

    I guess I'll stick with this for now - I just thought I've played for quite a while with it, there must be an upgrade available - not for that sword , just something stronger I could switch to.

    Any recommendations? Even if it's just to stick with this one?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/bsabiston
    [link] [comments]

    SOULS on mute makes it easier?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 07:32 PM PDT

    I don't know if it's just me, but whenever I hit a hard boss - O&S levels, turning off the sound makes it a lot easier for me. Tbf I'm not getting the full experience I guess, but feels like the music and sfx trigger so much anxiety sometimes I gotta turn it off to actually be able to think.

    submitted by /u/Virgilverne
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment