• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 16, 2021

    Dark Souls Dark Souls is my favorite of the soulsborne series, but the fanbase claiming it's only "nostalgia" is tiring

    Dark Souls Dark Souls is my favorite of the soulsborne series, but the fanbase claiming it's only "nostalgia" is tiring


    Dark Souls is my favorite of the soulsborne series, but the fanbase claiming it's only "nostalgia" is tiring

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 12:57 PM PDT

    Every time I mention this in a thread on facebook, instagram, reddit, etc. I get bombarded by tribal people who claim other titles are "objectively better in every way". Ds1 is not "dated", imo.

    In reality, Ds3 is the only game that gives me positive nostalgia. I just appreciate Ds1 a whole lot more, and I believe it holds up to the test of time well. I hold no nostalgia for it.

    For one, the story and lore is excellent. It's all self-contained, and the game gives you just the right amount of lore and vagueness. You can really tell it was developed as a standalone title, and it shows. My favorite part of the story in Anor Londo, where a player can truly realize the manipulation by the gods if they simply read the item descriptions and pay attention to what they say (like gwynevere saying you're the "chosen undead", if you recieve her ring and read it, it reveals she was disillusioned with anor londo and left a long time ago, her image merely being there as propaganda by her brother.) The DLC is great too.

    I like the weightiness of the combat and sound design, which both are things future titles ditched sadly. Dark Souls is a very unique game and really makes me feel like a heavy, clunky knight. The more action-oriented approach to the later titles is very fun and challenging, don't get me wrong, but I miss having 3 very different styles of encumberance (which were all viable for pve.) Other fans have also claimed "its only cuz you prefer hiding behind a shield and tanking everything" but the fast approach is my favorite. I just prefer having the option to mix up various playthroughs, every toon feels vastly different from the next. Them footstep sounds in armor too, love em'

    The soundtrack is excellent too. I like the ambient music sections, like ash lake, daughters of chaos, chamber of the princess, stairs to the kiln, etc. The series sadly removed more and more of these, until they were completely gone in ds3 (and came back in Sekiro). I like moments of quiet and serenity in my games, as in real life, not everything is actively trying to kill you. Some of the most memorable moments and tracks of the series are these. Ds2 also does this well.

    Then the characters. This goes without saying as they're still in popular culture everywhere, but seigmeyer, solaire, oscar, frampt, kaathe, etc. are fantastic characters. My favorites of the series. You can tell they all have their own lives, hopes, and dreams outside of the game. They aren't just sitting at firelink to help the player, they are out and about going after their own goals, ocassionally crossing paths with you.

    The world design. Imo, it's like 2/3rds of the game to get to the chamber of the princess, 1/3rd to get the last 4 souls. Lost Izalith is the only questionably designed area, but even then, it's more interesting to me than Smouldering Lake/Iron Keep. So like, the "2nd half of game awful" complaint also never resonated with me.

    "too easy" is another complaint I hear often but tbh after playing the series so many times, every game seems to remain at a similar scale of difficulty.

    All in all, it's still one of my most replayed games to this day. I find it a very immersive and dreamlike experience. I love Ds2, Ds3, and Bloodborne, but the fans of those games can get intolerable. All the soulsborne games achieve different things, and none are "objectively better" in my eyes. Ds1 is just the most intricately woven, beautifully realized in my opinion. I just can't see how others miss the point and just view it as "clunky, slow, inferior, etc". Not everything is about having quick, snappy, combat, and to me, that's what partially sets ds1 apart from every other arpg out there. Instead of being an instantly rewarding linear level-by-level experience, it's a sum-of-it's-parts one-of-a-kind immersive medieval experience.

    submitted by /u/Forhaver
    [link] [comments]

    I'm thinking of making a Dark Souls podcast about depression

    Posted: 16 Mar 2021 03:35 AM PDT

    I've started playing the remaster the past couple of weeks and am really enjoying it. Was always interested in getting into the Dark Souls games when I learned about DS2, and though I played some of Sekiro (borrowed off a friend) and a miniscule amount of Bloodborne, buying the remaster has been my first Dark Souls experience.

    Reading about people linking the Dark Souls games to their own experiences with mental health issues like depression and anxiety has really grabbed me. Based on a little bit of research this seems to be a common phenomenon, with the Dark Souls games helping some people come to terms with their depression and anxiety.

    But I'd like to explore this particular topic further. I've got a history working in radio and audio, and have always wanted to make a podcast. I think fighting depression with Dark Souls could be the right topic to get me going. I know of a few Dark Souls podcasts that exist, but by reckoning they deal mainly with gameplay experience.

    I'd wouldn't be exploring gameplay that much, it would come up for sure, but I'm more interested in the positive cultural impact that the Soulsborne games have on society (this could include being inspiration for Grimes' album). I think hardcore players, psychologists, game developers, and academics could all be interesting people to have on the podcast to discuss treating depression with Dark Souls.

    Does something like this already exist? And would people be interesting in listening to 15-30min episodes of this? What could be improved upon my ideas?

    submitted by /u/solisb
    [link] [comments]

    The twisting tower in Anor Londo is metal AF

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 08:36 PM PDT

    The elevator mechanisms in Dark Souls have always amazed me. I can't figure out whether they use some sort of weight displacement on a pulley, or if they're just magic, or they somehow have a power source that doesn't belong in the time period that Lordran is supposed to represent. They at least seem plausible to some degree.

    The twisting tower is just insane. I don't understand how it works, physically or mechanically, or what powers it. Does it slide on a rail hidden below? And even if it's magic, what could possibly have enough force to raise that whole tower up? Nevertheless, the fact that it's a massive shifting stone tower is just absolutely metal.

    submitted by /u/Alt0986
    [link] [comments]

    Fair Lady in colours, by me.

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 05:58 AM PDT

    I killed my only friend. :(

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 06:36 PM PDT

    Well Solaire finally found his own sun. :( Easily my favorite character and you gotta kill him. Saddest moment this far for me for sure.

    submitted by /u/swanquine
    [link] [comments]

    Kingseeker Frampt art by me :)

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 07:18 PM PDT

    Most people tend to hate the latter part of the game, and for good reasons, but I want to make a point

    Posted: 16 Mar 2021 01:01 AM PDT

    I think the variety presented in this very part of the game, where you have to get all the Souls for the Lordvessel, is the best out of the whole experience coming from this game. I can see the metroidvania component falling apart and a more linear and rough level design coming through, but when it comes to atmosphere? Every part has its atmosphere (New Londo, Duke's Archives, Lost Izalith and Tomb of the Giants), its unique enemies, most questlines are going on a point of no return and I don't see people actually pointing out this very thing. The first part is the best one for sure, everything loops so well, the level design and the freedom of Lordran are some of the best you'll ever get from a videogame, but wherever you walk you get always that same atmosphere, that grey to brown-ish colour pattern and lots and lots of undeads, rats, that feeling of "rotten" since everything is falling apart. And that's not a bad thing at all, you're in a falling kingdom where everything already happened, it's part of the purpose of the game; the more you go through, the closer you get to the Gods and the highest entities surrounding the history of the game. I don't know, I want to ask you how do you feel about that, it's not about the quality and the work they've done in those places, I know there were issues implied with the budget and everything, but those places are so well distinguished and filled with personality you can't just forget them, they're still memorable, whether is a good reason or a bad one.

    submitted by /u/Rexailos
    [link] [comments]

    I 3D Printed and Painted Solaire, Praise the Sun!!

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 11:10 AM PDT

    To whoever gave me the giants armour+5 set and obsidian greatsword thank you ����

    Posted: 16 Mar 2021 01:01 AM PDT

    My first time playing DSR and invaded in anor londo, I was level 38 and all my armour sets sucked. Guy for no reason just drops all this stuff for me. Was the nicest shit I've ever seen. If you're seeing this guy, I appreciates you and may you never go hollow 🙏🏽

    submitted by /u/Bigdongs
    [link] [comments]

    Just beat this game, holy shit.

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 09:01 PM PDT

    That was pretty damn amazing. It had its downs, and there were lots of them, but the ups were amazing, Ornstein and Smough, Nito the Neato, Gwynevere's rack, Artorias, Gough, Manus, Sif, Gwyn, stepping into Anor Londo for the first time, using every spell in the book on Manus' corpse once I beat him, the ups were so good. I told myself after Bloodborne I wouldn't do anymore games that are intentionally very hard, then I played Sekiro and that game was amazing, then I came to this wonderful game, and I definitely enjoyed the hell out of it. My Soulsborne: Shadows Die Twice journey is now halfway complete, and it's been a blast so far. Guess now it's time for DS2, I'm really hyped for this one because I know borderline nothing about it, despite the fact that I've heard it's the series' worst, then DS3, and then Demon's Souls.

    submitted by /u/Oroshi3965
    [link] [comments]

    The game leading up to O and S was my favorite

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 07:35 PM PDT

    My first ever playthrough of Dark Souls was just amazing. I loved every part of it except for the Bed of Choas fight. Everything about the game is great and that feeling you get when you defeat a hard boss or area is like no other. However my second playthrough totally changed my opinion. I personally love everything leading up to O and S including that epic boss fight. I could explore to my hearts content and I would not find any gimmicks that drove me crazy. Directly after O and S you can fight the goddamn charmers at Seath, walk around in the dark to find Nito, or platform your way to victory in the Bed of Chaos. The Four Kings aren't bad but the ghosts drive me insane. After beating the game once the feeling I used to get from beating bosses isn't there so I lose the incentive to continue. I guess this post is just a rant about how I wish I can experience my first playthrough again.

    submitted by /u/No-Name-Man66
    [link] [comments]

    Dark souls- Respect run?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2021 04:11 AM PDT

    So recently I saw that one undead placed the souls of Sif and arty at his grave after defeating them both. That made me wonder if a "respect run" could be incorporated into other runs where the chosen undead chooses certain souls to not use and instead "Bury" out of respect.

    If you did this run what souls would you use and who would you bury?

    submitted by /u/L_Elio
    [link] [comments]

    Ups and Downs

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 01:49 PM PDT

    Just took me like 80 tries to get past the Anor Londo archers. Finally made it and popped humanity to kindle the fire and get more estus and summon help for O&S. Immediately invaded by "TheFreshestMeat" and promptly had my shit beat in before I could even get out of the room with the fire.

    Said fuck it and did O&S alone for the first time ever. BEAT THEM FIRST TRY!!!!

    submitted by /u/Audeconn
    [link] [comments]

    30fps mod for low end pcs?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2021 02:43 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I'd like to try out dark souls remastered on my old laptop (which can handle 30 fps) but have heard that the game slows down when you're under 60 fps. Is there a community-made mod to make the game double its speed at 30, or something like that? If speed mods can get you banned, I'll play offline

    submitted by /u/goodshrekmaadcity
    [link] [comments]

    The grind is real down here in Blighttown

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 05:14 PM PDT

    Really relating to this flaming attack dog(https://youtu.be/VhnxApLn-7E)

    submitted by /u/Higgendauph
    [link] [comments]

    Red Vagrant

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 10:46 PM PDT

    While in the Royal Wood, I spotted a little crab thing. After a lot of "wtf is this?" Google searches, I think it's called a vagrant.

    I assume yall could confirm or correct that. Anyway, a friend told me the red one is rare. Is this one of the rare ones?

    Either way, Im glad I didnt kill it. Hopefully he went on to other worlds & other players got to enjoy seeing it.

    http://imgur.com/gallery/KZc5w15

    submitted by /u/such_a_kant
    [link] [comments]

    Some tips for a newbie?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2021 06:56 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I am new to souls genre. I just completed dark souls 3 yesterday and started playing remastered today. I am finding it comparatively difficult in comparison to dark souls 3, The bonfires and estus work differently. I just reached Undead Parish bonfire under the dragon on the bridge, the armoured boar gets me everytime. Some tips about the game in general will be much appreciated, apart from obligatory "git gud" advice.

    submitted by /u/rishabh47
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix screen tearing?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2021 12:44 AM PDT

    Hi, I looked for many guides, but nothing helped. When I first start the game after download, it runs fine. If II turn it on any other time, I get a 3 in a row tear evry minute or so. I have dsfix, tried everything like vsync etc. Any tips?

    submitted by /u/Pospim
    [link] [comments]

    To the fellow Chosen Undead who helped me slay Manus today...

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 06:33 PM PDT

    I am not afraid to admit that after only 2 attempts I knew there was no way I was going to be able to beat this guy alone. Even Artorias took me several tries but I knew that eventually I could stop falling for his chained front flips and be victorious. Let me say however that Manus is on a whole other level.

    So I popped a humanity and low and behold, a single summon sign. Sadly I forget the persons name but we slapped the abyss out of Manus. Even trying to draw aggro off of the other when one of us happened to get caught in his 6 slap combo chain.

    I hope you don't feel ashamed when summoning to help with a boss. Know your limits, better to have fun than spend hours if it's only gonna lead to getting angry.

    submitted by /u/TreyBombCity
    [link] [comments]

    I made an edit of the epic Aang VS Ozai fight and added Dark Souls boss music.

    Posted: 16 Mar 2021 06:08 AM PDT

    If you guys are anything like me you have watched the Aang VS Ozai fight with goosebumps at least a couple times over the last 13 years -- It's simply an epic boss fight. You know what game also has epic boss fights? That's right, Dark Souls. I was thinking it would be epic to combine the two of them and make my inner 13 year old self nerdgasm once more. I never edit any videos so there might me some rough edges but I hope you guys enjoy.

    The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODCvA03cAgw

    Let me know what you think.

    submitted by /u/ShieldsofAsh
    [link] [comments]

    Better DSR or DS PTDE for low end pc?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2021 12:18 AM PDT

    As the title says, I want to play DS on my pc with a friend of mine, but my specs are not so good and I don't know witch gam is better optimised. I've red that PTDE has frame rate issues and not so good online, is this true? And also is there a way to get the best performance apart from putting all details on low? Thank you guys!

    submitted by /u/MatteMannai
    [link] [comments]

    My friend is about to finish his first journey

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 02:56 PM PDT

    My friend and I enjoy doing collaborative playthroughs together and recently i got him to start a DSR journey with me. I have completed the game about 4 times on different consoles (never ng tho) so I able to guide him and help with some rough areas but still allowed for a spoiler less blind run. And it's been amazing, i've loved seeing his reactions to some of the events, particularly the Artorias battle, the first arrival at Anor Londo, and it's big chest. It's been almost like experiencing everything for the first time myself again :').

    Alas, our journey is almost at end. It was an interesting play through - He accidentally killed 2 merchants, he never talked to Solaire or Siegmeyer but was very good friends with the Crestfallen Warrior. I accidentally dropped into frampts hole and then placed the lord vessel by myself like an idiot, so we never talked to the snakes either. He almost went hollow at the Capra Demon after death number 25, but then later manage to beat the golden bash brothers in 3 attempts.

    My friend got the Black Knight Greatsword half way through the game which he liked so much we switched out build from a dex based one to a STR/END one with full havels set, the FAP ring and Grass Crest Shield. Which is the gear my friend will be using to challenge Gwyn Lord of Cinder later today. I can't wait to see him achieve victory.

    submitted by /u/SEPTAgoose
    [link] [comments]

    Four Kings, or weed?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 06:33 AM PDT

    For some reason I just distinctly love dark souls art sty compare to its sequels

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 06:02 PM PDT

    I don't know if I'm just seeing things, but there's this distinct appeal I find with dark souls art style that I don't find with the other souls title.

    Where as the others seem to have this really sharp clearly stylized look to them dark souls is really calm and blended almost looking realistic by current game standards in some moments.

    The backgrounds are also much more memorable to me, I always felt so dwarfed by the sheer size of the world, like I'm only a small ripple in a big ocean. It felt comforting as it feels like I'm being shielded from the terrors of outside.

    It also had this minimalist style to it that I think the other soulsborne games abandoned, which is minimal amount of objects and set pieces in a area. I do think there is sometimes to little, but also when you have places like Lothric castle in dark souls 3 or the dlc areas which are cluttered, very little feels good.

    Edit:I really fucked up the title

    submitted by /u/iloveacademia
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any Lore I can research/read midway through the game?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 05:56 PM PDT

    I'm through Quelaag, which I know is still not halfway through the game, but I am interested in learning more about the story.

    Also, where do you go to read the lore? Is there a centralized site or is it all just fan fiction?

    submitted by /u/lrjackson06
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment