• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 10, 2021

    Dark Souls I had a dream a couple of nights ago in which I fought an entirely new Dark Souls 1 boss, and I cannot stop thinking about it

    Dark Souls I had a dream a couple of nights ago in which I fought an entirely new Dark Souls 1 boss, and I cannot stop thinking about it


    I had a dream a couple of nights ago in which I fought an entirely new Dark Souls 1 boss, and I cannot stop thinking about it

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 10:54 PM PST

    I hope this post will be allowed to stay up as it's only somewhat related to Dark Souls 1, but I have really been wanting to share this with someone as it has stuck with me ever since this happened.

    So I had a dream the other night that I was playing Dark Souls 1. I know for a fact it was 1 somehow, but part of me remembers something in the dream referring to the game as Dark Souls 2. I assume currently it was Dark Souls 1 because I've recently been playing the Remastered version for weeks now, so this is what I'll roll with.

    This dream took place in a very open and snowy area, similar to that god awful bonus area in Eleum Loyce, but snow had stopped falling and the skies were cloudy, like the dark blue and black sort of cloudy but without being night time. There were occasional ruins sticking out of the snow fields here and there, but the most notable thing about the place was the entrance to the boss arena.

    It was a relatively small archway, again just jutting out in the middle of this frozen wasteland, but behind it lay an alarmingly large pond of the absolute reddest blood I have ever seen. I remember being legitimately unsettled by just how crimson this blood was, and this is coming from a guy who plays and watches extremely violent and bloody games/movies. I entered the gateway, but I don't remember if there was an introductory cut scene, and honestly I'm kinda glad that I don't, because I don't want to see how these things were formed.

    This fight had two bosses, similar to Ornstein and Smough: The first was a massive head, very much like Aldia from Dark Souls 2, but the wooden branches were all frozen stark white, and the fires that dotted it's form were blood red. I remember it's title being "The Witch of-" but I didn't see the rest of it, probably because I was too busy focusing on the other boss that had appeared.

    This one was a straight up nightmare. It was a large mass of 8 frozen skeletons, with the upper torso of one skeleton jutting out of the front, which appeared to control the rest of the mass. This thing wasn't thick, which is what you might be thinking when you see the word "mass", but I remember something in the dream telling me that there were 8 skeletons making this thing up specifically, and it was literally just a bunch of skeletons horrifically fused together. But the real thing that stuck with me was the central skeleton that controlled the mass.

    I say it was a skeleton, but it had a layer of smooth white skin over it; it was just so skinny that it might as well have been a skeleton. It had very long, messy and stringy black hair, and the face... fucking Christ above the face was horrifying. It's hard to describe, but it's face was long, pointed, and gaunt, with eye sockets that were sunken in, yet somehow it's two VERY bloodshot eyeballs were bulging wildly out of them. At a glance you would assume it to be female, but it sounded like anything but. The sounds this monster would make when my character would strike it were deep, guttural, and still terrify me when I think of them. Like "The Witch", I don't remember this one's full name, but I know it was something along the lines of "----, Daughter of the-", and somehow that freaks me out more when I think about it.

    Anyway, after I successfully killed the Daughter, a cutscene triggered. I don't remember everything that happened specifically, but I know that the Witch (the Aldia head monster) apparently consumed the Daughter's slumped over corpse(s?). The Witch shifts and stirs, before the head begins to slowly erode away, and when it completely does so, a very tall woman with smooth gray skin and hair as white as the stars is standing in it's place among this snowy field and lake of blood. This next part will sound more perverted than I'm intending, but she wasn't wearing any garbs or anything (so naked, yeah) and absolutely gorgeous; I remember my controller falling out of my hands when I saw her. The boss fight resumed and I was now fighting this woman, and this time I remembered the full title:

    "Daughter of the Aethereal"

    And then of course the dream abruptly ends.

    Again, I hope this is considered appropriate for this subreddit because I really wanted to share it. Mods can take it down if they see fit to.

    EDIT: Wording

    submitted by /u/aSimpleMask
    [link] [comments]

    A world map of Dark Souls in each game I made

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 05:03 AM PST

    A kick only run is possible

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 06:15 PM PST

    You would have to start with the master key or run through the undead burg and parish and have the taurus demon jump off the bridge, go down to blighttown and get infected by an egg dude. You would then need to get it to fully grow, the best way to do this would be letting the hellkite drake burn the hollows on the bridge 361 times (assuming you didn't pick up any other souls). The egghead bite does damage, so this will be your only attack until you kill the centipede demon. You can then run through the game as normal until you get the lordvessel, then you rush the centipede demon and clear the egghead (the damage doesn't stack) so you can do a whopping 50 fire damage a kick! Then you can kill kirk and get the thorn leggings for a few more physical points of kick damage.

    I have no idea why you'd want to do this or why i came up with it.

    submitted by /u/the-pee_pee-poo_poo
    [link] [comments]

    Isn't going to Darkroot Forest before Blighttown the natural walkthrough order?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 05:37 PM PST

    On my first blind walkthrough, I went to the Darkroot Forest before Blighttown and since then I do so in all of my playthroughs. My friends say that it's strange and unusual, but I think there are things in the game indicating that the developers actually expected us to go there early, before descending further into the depths.

    First of all, the ents drop moss clumps which are vital in Blighttown. Second, you acquaint yourself with Shiva, whom we meet later down below.

    Generally speaking, this area is filled with useful items that are easily accessible and can help you get over the difficulty bump you face in Blightown. The forest contains 2 arguably best rings in the game (Wolf, Hornet), one of the best medium armor sets (Elite Knight), second best tank armor set (Stone), and one of the best bows (Pharis). Not to mention that after you kill the Butterfly, you get the watchtower key which can be used to get another great ring - the Havel ring (in case you don't have the master key).

    Also the area is very manageable even on fairly low levels. If you completed the Depths and leveled up a bit, then you're most likely ready for the Forest: clear it, and Blighttown becomes a walk in a park (well, sort of).

    What do you think?

    submitted by /u/Last_Phrase8304
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else immediately suicide run the new londo fire keeper soul?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 10:11 PM PST

    This is my first order of business every new playthrough.

    submitted by /u/abyssalcold
    [link] [comments]

    Knight Artorias

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 11:20 PM PST

    I finally beat Artorias, after many, many deaths. I finally beat him and I have to say it was a fucking grind to get his health down. I did it with a +5 Astora's straight sword at SL 72. It was a wonderful boss fight though and I am filled with the warmth of the sun after defeating him. This is my first time playing DSR so luck be with me for the rest of the journey. Praise the sun!

    submitted by /u/CapoJay77
    [link] [comments]

    It feels really weird to think that Dark Souls 1 is now the most graphically outdated soulsborne game on the market.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 09:42 PM PST

    Feels like Demon's Souls had been the most aged soulsborne game forever. Now that we have the Demon's Souls remake, that title falls to Dark Souls 1. That feels weird to think Dark Souls is that old. It came out the same year as Skyrim.

    The game that put the genre in the mainstream is now the oldest.

    I think it just makes me wish for a Dark Souls remake now.

    submitted by /u/Goofiestchief
    [link] [comments]

    I just beat this crazy, torturous, masochist fun house of a game.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 08:22 PM PST

    And oh boy was it fun.

    I picked the game up back in December on a whim. I've been a casual gamer all my life. I didn't play all that often, and when I did it was games like Lego Star Wars (and other Lego games), Mario, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, and a smattering of others. In many ways, those types of games will always be my home. But I had always heard the name "Dark Souls" thrown about. I knew it was supposed to be synonymous with challenge, difficulty, and heartache, but not much beyond that. So in my everlasting quest to find a game to fill the Elder Scrolls shaped hole in my heart (it seems like Skyrim, ever since I found it, was the only game I ever actually played with any regularity), I bought Dark Souls Remastered.

    I don't know what I expected. I'm not sure how long I thought I would last. But I gave it a shot. The lack of story infuriated me. I had no idea where to go and no idea what was going on. But there was a certain draw to it. It was honestly fun. Yeah, I died A LOT, but that was to be expected. I wasn't too upset. But when I wasn't dying, I was enjoying myself.

    I think it began to click for me when I beat Havel. Up until that point, I was having fun, but I still felt a disconnect between myself and the people who swore by this game. But watching him fade away after a minute or so of backstabbing that boulder into the ground repeatedly just made me stop and go: oh, I guess this is what it feels like. This must be why these people love Dark Souls.

    Well, you did it From Software. You won me over. I still needed about five youtube videos before I understood what the hell your story was, but you hooked me. Praise the Sun

    submitted by /u/ManweTheElderKing
    [link] [comments]

    My health bar after my fight with Artorias was at 1 hp.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 07:44 AM PST

    How much can I reinforce Stone Greatsword

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 02:26 AM PST

    So, I'm not sure if I just don't have the Ember but I have a large and a very large ember on Andrr, but I can only reinforce it to +5.

    Is there any way I can reinforce the Stone Greatsword further?

    submitted by /u/GoodOldMrDong
    [link] [comments]

    Manus?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 01:24 AM PST

    Does anyone else find Manus to be the easier boss of the DLC? Knight Artorias kicked my ass for a while but I got the Father in one.

    submitted by /u/Sufficient-Look2906
    [link] [comments]

    Finally Beat Gwyn in One Life

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 01:13 AM PST

    After years of losing fight after fight after tight to Gwyn before eventually squeaking out a victory against the old man, something clicked in this most recent run and I was able to almost decimate him first try this most recent run.

    Praise the Dark, let that Fire burn out.

    submitted by /u/Darkfeather21
    [link] [comments]

    Rules question regarding the board game

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 01:12 AM PST

    Did you know theres a board game version of Dark Souls? Well there is (and Bloodborne!), and you can play it by yourself and its great! Extremely expensive, but hey thats what tabletop sim is for. Anyways, quick rule question.

    If a boss behavior card goes "attack -> move away from target", but you dodged away from the attack, does the boss move away from your original location or from where you dodged to?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/283leis
    [link] [comments]

    Dark souls on sale in the Xbox store

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 08:53 PM PST

    I got me a copy of DS Remastered and DS2 scholar of the first sin last night at a hugh discount each. First one 50% off and 2nd 70% off.

    Also DS3 with dlcs has discount but I already bought it so I didn't see the price.

    I paid 13AUD for DS2 and 29AUD DSR. So go check it out if you want the games.

    I was waiting for DS2 for about two months to be on sale. It will last this week.

    submitted by /u/Choke1982
    [link] [comments]

    Big sale on all Dark Souls games on Xbox

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 10:24 PM PST

    Hello, if you are thinking about buying the games, you're in luck.

    Dark Souls: Remastered - $19.99, 50% off

    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - $9.99, 75% off

    Recommended Dark Souls III - Deluxe Edition - $21.24, 75% off

    Dark Souls III - $14.99, 75% off

    submitted by /u/alanc270
    [link] [comments]

    I did it! I beat the game!

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 02:46 PM PST

    It took me 82 hours and probably 700,000,000 deaths, half of which were probably on Artorias (best boss in the game btw, only Manus and Ornstien & Smough come close). The other half were probably the piece of shit Arnor Lando bridge archers.

    Overall definitely one of my favorite games I've played. Reminds me a lot of Hollow Knight (or the other way round I guess). Similar atmosphere, exploration, story, challenge etc. The only thing holding back imo is the game is that some of the four lord souls bosses/areas feel subpar compared to the rest of the game, and the ending didn't really land for me.

    9/10 just which there was a way for me to play any of the sequels n the switch :(

    submitted by /u/batman12399
    [link] [comments]

    Cannot believe I have been sitting on this amazing game

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 09:51 AM PST

    So, I am a PlayStation owner and while I was experiencing the Uncharteds and God of Wars, I came across Bloodborne. Everything I read and heard about it was really high praise and love. Bought it, put in about 500 hours on it, enjoyed the hell out of it, consider it a masterpiece. (Still do. A hunter must hunt). I have quickly learnt that FromSoft are game developers to look out for. However, for some reason, I have never ever thought of playing Dark Souls. Maybe, it has to do with all these crazy amounts of videos talking about how Bloodborne's gamestyle is so different from Dark Souls. I have given into the idea that I might not enjoy DS. At the back of my head, I somewhere knew I was wrong and I should give the DS games a shot because I know how much the community loves these games and what these game devs are capable of. Having said that, I was still hesitant.

    Eventually, Sekiro happened, enjoyed the hell out of it. And recently I got a PS5. So I played Demons Souls and it was such an amazing experience. I figured 'man! I am not gonna not experience DS because I might not enjoy it's gameplay style'. So, I bought Dark Souls Remastered. I fucking cannot believe that I have missed out on this masterpiece. What a game! Absolutely in love with the world. Praise the Sun!

    I appreciate all the community and the awesome awesome game devs at FromSoft.( and BluePoint to an extent for helping me to realize what I was missing out on.)

    PS: Heading into DS2 and DS3 next as we all wait for Elden Ring.

    submitted by /u/suri2207
    [link] [comments]

    Blighttown with un upgraded Astora's straight sword

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 11:37 PM PST

    Hey y'all, I got to Blighttown with my straight sword and it seems underpowered in this area, am I screwed? I haven't gotten any twinkling titanite anyway but even if I had I probably wouldn't be able to make my way back through the labyrinth-ian sewers. This is the best weapon I have though, any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Sisyphus_Salad
    [link] [comments]

    I just found out what being cursed does and I am so glad I didn't find out until after I finished

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 09:56 PM PST

    So, I don't know how (maybe because I went in blind, forgot to do the depths at first and didn't get to seath yet) but I never found out what cursing did in Dark Souls 1 when I found out that it was a status effect. Before getting half-way through the game, I saw a Dark Souls stream from Grayfruit and somewhere in it, he said that being cursed sucked and that it was the worst thing that could ever happen or something. I thought, "Worse than dying? Well, I better avoid that at all costs" and I never got cursed once before completing my first playthrough. I have now played through both DS1 and DS2, while watching more than a handful of fun Dark Souls youtube/twitch content I missed out on in between, and 2 minutes ago, I finally saw what happens in DS1 when you get cursed. I knew it was different in DS2 because of a different thing Grayfruit said and I got cursed in DS2 a lot. Just now, I saw a video that included what happens when you get cursed. GOODNESS GRACIOUS I'M SO GLAD I NEVER EXPERIENCED THAT. For anyone who also didn't know, your health bar is permanently set to half, even when you respawn and the only cure for it is either a mega expensive stone crap or travelling to some healer to get it fixed or something. If that happened to me once, I think the game experience for me would go from an excellent 10/10 to a 9/10 just for that bs mechanic that they don't even explain to you before it happens. It's still a 10 to me, but goodness what a hilariously evil thing to put in the game.

    submitted by /u/Oyska_G
    [link] [comments]

    Gwyn and Yu Yevon

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 07:34 PM PST

    I'm not entirely sure if there are many crossover fans, but Yu Yevon is the main antagonist in Final Fantasy X. Yu Yevon was once a proud leader of a metropolis called Zanarkand. A thousand years prior to the events of the game, a war was fought called the Machina War. Zanarkand was on the losing side, while Zanarkand used magic, Bevelle (the opposition) was using much stronger and effective weapons called Machina (machines). Yu Yevon realizing his beloved metropolis was doomed summoned an imitation of Zanarkand called "Dream Zanarkand" using the memories from Fayths (think of them as souls). Because Yu Yevon feared it's destruction of the imitation, he created an large armor called that people would go on to label "Sin". The armor had the purpose of not only hiding Dream Zanarkand, but to seek out and destroy cities with heavy use of Machina. To skip a lot of the events of the main game, the main and supporting characters all make their way into Sin to find Yu Yevon: Yu Yevon, now over a thousand years old, is nothing more than a mindless being with only one purpose: To keep Dream Zanarkand summoned. He no longer has a physical form, he has faded into this

    I was around 13 when I first played FFX, and while I didn't initially "get" a lot of the underneath stuff of FFX, after many hours online and discussions with people more knowledgeable than me at the time - I came to realize what I was facing at the end of the game. I never really got that feeling again until I faced Gwyn in Dark Souls. Like with Gwyn, Yu Yevon's legend is grander than his present self to the point he is more reactionary than he is conscious. I have my issues with how both games handled the final fights gameplay wise, but both games really nailed the feeling they were going for - it never really feels good putting down these final bosses, it feels more like a mercy kill.

    Like I said, I don't know how much of a crossover there is with fans of these two franchises, but I had an immediate connection when I faced Gwyn years after facing Yu Yevon. Just a nice little comparison between two iconic franchises.

    submitted by /u/killerofkings2717
    [link] [comments]

    I FINALLY GET IT!!

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 09:25 AM PST

    First playthrough of Dark Souls ever on my Xbox360 and offline since my room don't have ethernet. Trynna play as relatively blind as possible

    Selectively lurking on the subreddit and everyone keeps saying "amazing chest ahead," "amazing chest ahead" "hahaha remember amazing chest ahead?" Meanwhile I'm sitting here like wtf does that even mean and feeling all left out.

    I just finished Anor Londo after 3 hours of O&S. And then.... there it is. I instantly knew.

    Amazing chest indeed hahahahaha

    submitted by /u/DinosaurTrainer
    [link] [comments]

    Souls is a Family Game, Apparently

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 09:44 AM PST

    So I played the Soulsborne series in a strange order:

    1) Bloodborne

    2) DS2:SOTFS

    3) DS3

    4) Sekiro

    5) DS:R

    Due to this, and I suppose due to game design being what it is versus what it was, I found DS:R to be relatively easy compared to the others, and started playing it whlie my kids (5 & 7) were around because it didn't bring out the usual Souls rage in me. Well let me tell you: without my rage, it was a TON of fun explaining the bosses and a bit of lore to the kids while I slayed out, and they really took to it! I have DS fanart all over my basement now, and I got genuine cheers of joy when they watched me defeat Gwyn & link the fire.

    I told the kids I'll be revisiting DS3 next time I have some free cash and it's on sale, so now they have something to hype up for in the future, too. I just needed to tell people who might understand how happy this whole endeavour has made me, so there it is!

    submitted by /u/BehavyuR
    [link] [comments]

    Ash Lake, Arch trees, and Dark Soul's very own metaphor for existence, the universe, and multiverse

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 01:06 AM PST

    Gentlemen, while we're here, I'd like to discuss something a little farther back in Soul's history that stays on my mind. It still has relevance to II, and in fact was what got me thinking about it all over again. Let's have a little chat about Ash Lake, and the old trees that still survive there to this very day.

    When we start our journey in Dark Souls II, we go through a great portal, and we go down, very far down. And we end up in a little place that three firekeepers label as a place that exists outside of things, a gap in the fabric of reality. In order to leave, we must venture onwards towards a light source beyond, which goes upwards. But on closer inspection, you will see that you are surrounded by massive trees that seem to spiral up into the darkened sky above, with no end in sight. There is little light in this place, but still enough to see that you are surrounded by the ancient archtrees.

    Now, let's rewind things a few thousand years backwards. Back when you, as a player, took your first steps onto the sandy beaches of ash lake, and looked up to the sky beyond, to see trees spiraling and twisting, endlessly upwards. The very path you took to get there, was down the ruins of a dead arch tree, through blight town. It was almost as if you had just walked into another world, a completely different realm of existence from what lay up above. Ring any bells?

    And now, let's speed up just a little bit further in time, when you open the doors the Kiln of the First Flame. What did you see, when you walked across these sandy ashes? A sky. A burnt out, dying husk on the eve of twilight. But this, does not appear to make much sense. This is saying something about Souls in general, but there is a little piece of evidence here that straightens things out.

    When you first enter the area before finding Lost Izalith, you see, far off into the distance, a great dome, with great roots growing over it. This, is the Kiln of the First flame. This is where everything started. This, in essence, was the beginning of the universe. And it travels up the path of a great arch tree. Even before you enter the final area to defeat Lord Gywn, if you look far below over some cliffsides and drops, you can see these roots, dangling.

    So. Now you ask, the -blam!- is up with these trees? Well, let me show you, just what's up with these trees.

    Picture the land before the lords, giants, and humans came into existence. Grey trees. Grey, eternal dragons. And a grey landscape. Nothing changed. Nothing died. Nothing lived. It was a pure state of perfection. But not even that. Because you cannot have perfection without it's counterpart. This land, this place, was simply, there. And then, like a big bang, there was Light. Death. Hot, Cold. Imperfection. And this simple realm was shattered, forever changed. And from the ashes of arch trees the first descendants of everything built their kingdom, from the ground up, to the worlds beyond.

    I say worlds, because I'm sure that Ash Lake, and the place that the Arch trees exist in, is ground zero, a metaphor for the universe before there was the universe. And from this, the remaining arch trees gave life to existence. And there is one last thing, final thing on your shoulders to hear.

    Consider this. Time is fractured in Souls. Heroes, people, and places, seem to exist in disjointed paths. Ancient people who have long died can cross the gaps between worlds, time and space. Other, living people, can invade from their own world through time and space. But why is this, I wonder? Why is time so fractured? Why are there so many other worlds?

    Because every arch tree leads to another world, another dimension beyond, high up above. And what happened to all these worlds? They met imperfection. Imbalance. Opposites. And what did the lords do when they waged war? They destroyed the eternal dragons homes, the great arch trees.

    When the lords rose up, without understanding, without meaning too, they fractured reality. Destroyed the clockwork mechanism of existence, by fracturing ground zero, by destroying arch trees, they destroyed worlds. Parallel existences snuffed out and forever lost, irreversibly damaging time and space to the point where what was left had little to no barriers, and no order and organization.

    And now that imperfection exists, it slowly eats away at the foundation of all realities, in the form of the abyss. And it will continue to do so, until the last light of existence goes out.

    Gentlemen. Thanks for your time.

    Found this online, what do you think?

    submitted by /u/Glacialix
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment