• Breaking News

    Friday, December 25, 2020

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Fashion Friday.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Fashion Friday.


    /r/DarkSouls - Fashion Friday.

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 10:07 PM PST

    What does your current PvP character look like? If your character has a back story to go with their personal fashion statement we'd like to hear that, too!

    Don't forget to check out /r/fashionsouls for all of your fashion needs.


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The moment I realized Dark Souls was becoming my favourite game ever.

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 08:21 AM PST

    Dark Souls was my first soulslike game. I used to play it back during its initial release after regretting having skipped Demon's Souls. I loved the atmosphere and art design.

    But the game? I hated it.

    Not for the difficulty. It was hard, and it kicked my ass. What I hated, was ever-looming feeling that the game was just an empty dungeon crawler, without a reason to keep pushing myself forward. The story was vague and incomprehensible, and the few NPCs were still, without facial animations. I didn't give a bloody F about the lore, because it sounded like a poor excuse to justify the action.

    I was on the verge of dropping the game and sell it to Blockbuster (RIP), but then... the turning point.

    After beating Capra Demon, I was rewarded with the Key to the Depths. The sole name of that item fueled my curiosity: after hours spent on the surface of Lordran, I was about to explore its deepest recesses. But the battle had left me with no Estus, and lots of souls. I don't remember why I didn't use a Homeward Bone or backtracked my way to the Undead Burg's bonfire. What I do remember, is that I pushed forward, down the nearby stairs, afraid of losing what I earned after the battle.

    It was tense, and I walked with my shield raised, killing the few undead thieves and that one archer dregling up the stairs to the aqueduct. Upon entering, I turned the camera to the right and felt a cold shiver up my spine as I was welcomed by the closeup of the female undead merchant. At least she was friendly.

    Then I opened the shortcut to Firelink, and felt a sense of relief like no others I had ever experienced in a videogame. The feeling of safety after such a brief but tense moment was something that I could only imagine to be similar to finding a save room in an old Resident Evil game (I still had to play them).

    But that was only a taste of what was coming. It was time to explore the Depths.

    Dark Souls had no fast travel from the get-go. Choosing a path meant that you had to commit to the eventuality of remaining stuck in a dangerous, unfamiliar place. I realized this halfway through that damp, shit-stained maze. It was difficult to navigate through the narrow corridors, unsure of what was lurking behind the next corner. The place was greasy, dark and confusing. The only thing I knew, was that I was descending Deeper.

    And then, came Blighttown.

    You need to understand that I played Dark Souls, unpatched, on ps3. You may have heard the legends of the infamous framerate drops which plagued an already twisted jumble of wooden platforms and bridges. I, among all the people who played the original release, had to experience it.

    I'm not gonna tell you about the swarm of enemies closing in from god-knows-where, or those aboriginal bastards sniping me from the dark with small toxic darts. And let's not forget about the wall-hugger and the slimy ticking of its tentacles.

    That place made me feel unclean and fatigued. The descent was pure madness and paranoia, as I kept asking myself when I would have reached the bottom. At the same time, I knew that my journey was pushing me even further away from the exit.

    Blighttown was a creepy and alien place, so much that it made the decay of the Undead Burg somewhat reassuring. It felt like a journey into a secluded, forgotten place, away from the human dimension. And once you reach the swamp, the enemies become more grotesque, too.

    I asked myself how far the game wanted me to go. And after defeating Queelag, I discovered that the descent was not over yet. Because below the swamp you had either Demon Ruins, and then Lost Izalith, or the Great Hollow and then Ash Lake.

    I spent two days trying to find a way out of that Gwyn-forsaken gutter. When I finally heard again the notes of Firelink Shrine, it felt like coming home after going through hell. Almost literally.

    But then I discovered that the Firekeeper was gone, and there was a creepy snake pointing me to the next task. The journey was not over, but I had now realized the beauty of Dark Souls: the feeling of being completely lost and scared inside a big world, without any map or fast travel options. You had no idea how big the world actually was, and that sense of mystery fueled my anticipation for what was waiting for me behind the next corner. No other game made me feel in the same way.

    But the real reason why Dark Souls is my favourite game ever is Gwynevere's massive badonkers. Let's be real now.

    submitted by /u/ElitaKirin
    [link] [comments]

    Thank you, Dark Souls

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 09:33 PM PST

    Around this time about a year ago, my life wasn't going too great. At the time, I was extremely depressed, my girlfriend had broken up with me, and I was eventually ostracized from my group of friends because of that situation. At this point I had completely given up on everything. I stopped trying in school, I no longer had interest in games, and I briefly quit my hobby of making music. Most days I would go home and listen to music while staring at the ceiling until I had to go to sleep.

    On Christmas of last year, a family member gifted me a copy of Dark Souls 1 for the Nintendo Switch. Although I didn't know what to expect, I dove straight into the game and gave it a try. At first, I hated the game and was stuck on the Undead Burg and gave up completely. After a couple hours though, something called me back to the game for some reason. I picked it back up, beat the Taurus Demon, and from there I was completely sucked in. I played the game for hours a day and discovered new things all the time. For a while, I didn't think about how much things hurted, I just thought about Dark Souls.

    Right before the end of the year, my grandfather passed away. I didn't show much of an outward reaction, but it definitely hurt a lot on the inside. At that point I was tired of everything. From there, I kept playing Dark Souls and eventually I was racing through every game in the series. I can vividly remember the days after school where instead of doing homework I'd play Dark Souls 2 on a cold January afternoon and look at the beautiful shores of Majula. I kept going through the games, and by the end of February 2020, I had beaten every game in the series.

    In the end, I took away a very important message from my time playing the Souls games. I realized I no longer enjoyed games because all of them felt too easy or too similar. Dark Souls forced me to face a challenge and overcome something difficult. At that point in my life, I needed to learn to overcome my personal challenges and persevere through the problems I faced no matter how much I wanted to give up and ignore them.

    Things are a lot better now even if some parts of life still suck and I still get sad sometimes. Dark Souls gave me a lesson that I needed and helped me not give up on myself just because things were hard. Having something to work hard for, even if it was just a game, gave me the strength to get back on my feet and take care of myself again.

    Thank you, Dark Souls.

    submitted by /u/MorgIsUgly
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls Remastered - PlayStation 4 is 50% off

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 06:16 PM PST

    Got to Anor Londo but don't have any upgrades on my weapon and Andre is dead.

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 03:55 AM PST

    So it's my first playthrough and I got to Anor Londo at SL44 with 17 VIT, 15 END, 31 STR, 18 DEX. I am using Black Knight Sword and Crest shield with Crimson Armor set. I fucked up so big at the beginning by accidentally killing Andre but I heard you can upgrade Black Knight Sword with the blacksmith at Anor Londo.

    Can I make it to blacksmith or it's not too late to start a new game?

    submitted by /u/Fraudriel
    [link] [comments]

    As someone who has 100 percented Sekiro and gotten all the endings in Dark Souls III, I can say that without a doubt, it's gonna take me a fucking while to do this one.

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 10:11 PM PST

    I mean, people said that it was the hardest of the lot, but I've just met Andre and I don't know what the fuck I'm meant to be doing. I feel really weak for some reason like I'm not doing enough damage and I'm mostly just walking down any path I find because I have no goddamn clue where to go. I have no clue what blue titanite does and I've only managed to get one titanite shard. Wish me luck and hope I don't go hollow, brothers.

    submitted by /u/NutDealer
    [link] [comments]

    New player - best starting class for melee Dex build?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 03:10 AM PST

    I've read that starting class doesn't make a whole lot of difference later in the game, but I still want to try to put some thought into it.

    Ideally I want to build a shady character that is nimble and can backstab etc. Having access to a bow as secondary weapon would be cool. I do not care for magic.

    It appears that contenders are Warrior, Wanderer, Thief and Hunter.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/maxwolfie
    [link] [comments]

    How to enjoy playing dark souls.

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 03:00 AM PST

    I'm still going through my first run of dark souls and the reason it's taken me so long was because of how intimidating the game was because of its reputation.

    When I first started playing I always had my shield up and I ended up dying 40-50 times because I would always hear "dark souls 101 always have your shield up".

    Then I lost 12000 souls because I was playing extremely defensive and that's when I said f*** it and just started 2 handing my long sword.

    Once I started playing more aggressively and more instinctively I really started enjoying the game and the game became a whole lot more fun.

    I still died a lot but it was always a close fight.

    I was just wondering if anyone has had this experience where playing without any fear changed their experience with dark souls.

    submitted by /u/RedFx_
    [link] [comments]

    Merry Christmas evening, dear soulborne players

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:09 AM PST

    Merry Christmas, chosen undead, hope you'll have great gifts and an awesome souls evening ! This message isn't for gankers. If you're a ganker, go to jail :D

    submitted by /u/Doespineappleflies92
    [link] [comments]

    A Christmas Miracle

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 10:52 PM PST

    After what seemed like eternity, I finally beat the Stray Demon! 🥳🥳🥳

    submitted by /u/SNESChalmrs
    [link] [comments]

    JUST BEAT ORNSTEIN AND SMOUGH

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 02:50 PM PST

    Only took me three attempts, really proud killed smough first too. This is my third souls game I have played still proud though. None of my friends play dark souls, and I wanted to tell somebody.

    submitted by /u/HeadHunter9865
    [link] [comments]

    I said I only enjoyed this game slightly

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 03:44 AM PST

    My mom bought me all three and I can already see the 500+ hours on just one account

    submitted by /u/Ok_Error_5835
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good new player friendly weapon?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 03:42 AM PST

    I'm new to dark souls remastered but I have played other soul titles but I wonder what would be good for a new player and I will say I'm thinking if either going dex or quality for my first playthrough

    submitted by /u/ComposedMood
    [link] [comments]

    Went through at bought it

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 01:25 AM PST

    So I just started dark souls seems really interesting. I'm ready to rage haha. I picked sorcerer, and I'm already tired of my weapon not doing no damage. Any tips, would be greatly appreciated!!

    submitted by /u/MFTRILL
    [link] [comments]

    4th annual Christmas run pt 1-- thank you skeletons

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 03:19 PM PST

    For the last four years I've made a tradition out of starting a DS run on Christmas Eve, and given the nature of my school and other commitments they're usually short-lived, which is okay because the early half of the game is my favorite. Well, this year I purchased a 50 inch TV and an Xbox One S, so HDR gaming constitutes the best graphics I've ever had, so I'm going back and getting all the achievements in some of my favorite games to see them again on the big screen. Here's where DSR comes in.

    All I've done today is kill Bell Gargoyles and head back to Undead Asylum for the Rusty ring. But en route to snipe the Helkite Wyvern's tail I got invaded by a phantom who could've absolutely wrecked my level 6 knight-lookin-ass who hadn't played the game in months. But instead they dropped 99 of every moss, not to mention 999 of each arrow type and some weapon buffs too. Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised by the giving spirit being showcased on Christmas Eve, but to see that, along with continuously hearing the upper bell rung and having a Sunbro absolutely merc undead parish for me, it made me feel really happy and part of a community in an otherwise isolating and lonely era.

    Here's to some more jolly cooperation today and tomorrow!

    submitted by /u/thegreatzimbabwe11
    [link] [comments]

    I'm starting in Dark souls and I'm loving it

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 06:41 PM PST

    So I bought the 3 games but I wasn't feeling like playing them yet, until a week ago I started with ds1 and I'm having a ton of fun, though I'm using a begginers route guide just to see where I should go, its un-spoiled. Any advice for new players and should I keep using the guide just to look up areas?

    submitted by /u/Twirlynebula536
    [link] [comments]

    Need help for dex build

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 12:37 AM PST

    So I'm thinking of doing a Dex-faith build, will it be okay for PVE? and which faith item should I buy first? I'm going Sen Fortress now

    submitted by /u/nunuready
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a list for the Switch controls?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 02:45 AM PST

    Not everything is covered in the menu and even the wiki is incomplete for the Switch version. How do I hold a weapon with two hands for example?

    submitted by /u/switchsouls
    [link] [comments]

    Story time! The Artorias summon

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 05:23 PM PST

    I was putting in work on a new build when I got to the township...

    I found a summon called Artorias, who looked just like the legend himself. He helped me a ton as I got invaded twice through township.

    When we got to the chained prisoner I got invaded by Vengeance Solaire. this was an exact replica of solaire.

    So followed an epic battle between gold artorias and blue Solaire!

    It was the highlight of my life! I will attach some pictures.

    Also shout-out to bloopy and Nyet! for the summons.

    EDIT: Here are the pictures

    submitted by /u/kschulz_
    [link] [comments]

    If i go back to the room where seath auto kills me, is he still there? Its a fog wall.

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:17 PM PST

    So ive already died to him. Ive crawled my way back without dieing once. So my 10k souls should still be there. Not really a big deal i know. Im holding onto artorias soul and guardian soul plus some other big souls.

    But ive made my way back. To the fog wall to seath. I didnt grab the dukes bonfire because i didnt want to respawn the enemies. So if seath is still there, i cant just grab my souls and homeward bone out. I mean i could, but im not going to go through the front of dukes again over 10k souls .

    So is he still gonna be there ready to kill me again?

    submitted by /u/_konvikt_
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for queelag?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 04:06 AM PST

    I feel like I'm just treating this sub like gamefaqs and I'm sorry can someone tell me in the comments?

    submitted by /u/MeAndThePipBoys
    [link] [comments]

    Is estoc or a rapier viable as a beat the game weapon?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 06:07 PM PST

    I really like rapiers and i think they are great to look at and I love the moveset but as its a glorified toothpick I dont see it being that useful by the time i hit Anor londo

    submitted by /u/supremeramenking
    [link] [comments]

    Holy shit I hate anor londo

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 03:37 PM PST

    Barely even began this area and I despise it already
    Just to progress I have to beat 2 sentinels and 5 gargoyles, with 2 of those gargoyles being accompanied by annoying fucking crossbowmen anal raping me
    Does anybody know how to do this shit

    submitted by /u/whebehbesh
    [link] [comments]

    How long did it take you to beat Dark Souls in first playthrough?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 03:26 AM PST

    I'm currently at 47 hours (first playthrough, obviously) after beating DLC and Seath the Scaleless and it seems like it would take me eternity to complete the game. I've beaten Bloodborne in 35 hours first playthrough (DLC is done too) and Sekiro in 45 hours. Is Dark Souls way longer than these two games?

    submitted by /u/noob_boi420
    [link] [comments]

    Weapon scaling

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 02:16 AM PST

    How does weapon scaling work. Does each weapon have a different scaling or does it depend on your stats?

    submitted by /u/El_ferrus_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment