• Breaking News

    Monday, December 7, 2020

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Modding Monday.

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Modding Monday.


    /r/DarkSouls2 - Modding Monday.

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 10:12 PM PST

    Welcome to the weekly Dark Souls mod announcement and discussion thread!

    Beware! Use of mods whilst connected to the internet can cause you to get banned from online play!

    For more information, or to continue the discussion visit /r/ModSouls

    Using mods (PC only!) to enhance or add new content to the Souls games is great fun! It is important, however, to understand that mods are against From's EULA/ToS, so there is a great risk of being banned when using them due to From's anti-cheat--which is deployed in most versions of the Souls games.

    Versions of the games where modding is safe due to no anti-cheat:

    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

    Versions of the games where modding carries a very high risk of being banned:

    Dark Souls: Remastered

    Dark Souls II

    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

    Dark Souls III


    Our recommendations for safe modding

    *This advice is intended for first-time or relatively inexperienced modders who want to get into modding without risking a ban on their main Steam account.

    Basic Steps:

    Make a separate Steam account

    Use Steam's Family Sharing feature to provide your new account with access to your main Steam account's game library.

    Install games to be used with the new account in a separate directory.

    Once you've found your mods be sure to read (and follow) the mod author's instructions carefully prior to installation.

    Set Steam to "off line" mode.

    Install the mods and perform any necessary setup.

    Enjoy the fun and interesting experiences offered by mods!

    Be sure to remove all file components of the mod before going back online!

    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls2/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    From the Onion: "'This Will Be The Most Challenging Few Months in History' Says CDC Director Who Just Bought Dark Souls II"

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 11:50 AM PST

    Royal Rat Authority is not a rat... DUH

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 06:12 AM PST

    I sometimes hear "critics" of DS2 bring up the point, amongst others, that the Royal Rat Authority is a mistake or mistranslation because it's clearly a dog (and how that is another indication that the game is "bad" somehow but whatever).

    The Royal Rat Authority is a hyena, so are it's smaller counterparts (or at least it strongly resembles one). It's name does not imply that it's supposed to be a rat at all, just that it's the embodiment of the Rat King's Authority, just like the vanguard was, presumably, the Rat King's army's vanguard. Since any creature can join the Rat King's service (as a human, you are allowed to do so, and the Rat King references another human that was also in their ranks long ago) it is only logical that the servants of the Rat King be different species. Doors of Farros is a great example of this concept in general: the Gyrm and Mastodons that inhabit the place are all servants of the Rat King, as signified by their ceasing of animosity towards the player once they join the ranks.

    submitted by /u/_Brunhild_
    [link] [comments]

    Just killed Lud and Zallen

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 11:55 PM PST

    I feel like I should be happy I beat them but all I feel is relief. That's the last time I think I'll ever fight them. The Frigid outskirts make me want to chop off my balls and feed them to my dog

    submitted by /u/FullOkra
    [link] [comments]

    I love the Fume Knight battle

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 05:20 AM PST

    Everyone always talks about how the Fume Knight is so difficult and that they hate the fight, but when I first fought him I had a blast. Maybe I'm just different, but his attacks are well telegraphed, and he punishes you for being too greedy. His ultra greatsword is easy to dodge (albeit his powered up swing is a bit tricky to get down) and every time I died, it didn't feel cheap. It was always on me. I absolutely love his fight and look forward to it every playthrough. I love you, Raime. Even if you are kinda a simp.

    submitted by /u/the_Dingus42
    [link] [comments]

    I have died 100 times to Royal Rat Authority. Please help

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 10:31 AM PST

    I am a mage build and most of my trouble comes from taking out the rats at the beginning. (When I do take them out I have no idea what to do for the actual fight) it seems like if you get hit twice by the rats it's game over.

    submitted by /u/jdogg3797
    [link] [comments]

    200 deaths to fume knight

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 06:49 AM PST

    I just can't beat him in phase 2 please help! Just want him dead 😭

    submitted by /u/soulofanundeadpoet
    [link] [comments]

    After beating DS2, here are my thoughts on the controversy around it

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 10:15 AM PST

    This game has been criticized many times for it's mechanics which made me scared to pick it up, but I'm glad I did. I have enjoyed this game more than Dark Souls 1 or 3, which is surprising considering most people say it's the worst.

    Hollowing:

    Many people said that the hollowing effect made it unfair to new players, unnecessarily difficult, etc. I found that while this should be the case, I was more willing to play through my mistakes in 2 than 1 or 3. In both of these games, I would often hit a brick wall and stop playing for ages, and finally push through much later. While this was rewarding, it's a big turn-off for many. In Dark Souls 2, thanks to Lifegems, enemy despawning, and it being somewhat easier to grind levels thanks to Bonfire Ascetics and the lower level-up requirements, it's my first Souls game win.

    I do, however, agree the system has some flaws. Namely, the Ring of Binding makes it far too easy to forget about, and the fact that Human Effigies can be infinitely farmed but only in the late-game. If I was to change things, I'd make the default cap 60% of max HP rather than 50%, nerf the Ring of Binding to only reduce it to 70% not 75%, and either make Effigies infinitely sold but expensive or remove all methods of grinding them other than killing invaders.

    Gank:

    Dark Souls 2 is worse at this than 1 or 3? Really? Sure, it has more ganky moments than 1, but the adjustments to combat make them feel more fair. In 3, there are at least as many ganky moments, and everything is sooo fast.

    Hitboxes:

    DS2 does have hitbox issues however I have actually encountered more in DS1 (largely with beast type bosses) than DS2 because I was told on this subreddit to level ADP. Stab/grab attacks are always bullshit in Souls games it seems, and DS2 may have slightly worse hitboxes than the others, but I would guess it's mainly down to ADP/Agility. Which leads me on to...

    ADP/Agility (Roll scaling):

    This is the one criticism I genuinely agree with. Dark Souls 1 had a good roll system (although only 4-directional for some reason) and while I don't disagree with the increased roll cost of 2, the iframe scaling is poor design imho. I get they were going for more diverse builds but it just leads to new players being punished for using the roll before they work out to level ADP (if they ever do). For many players, the rolls can become quite overpowered with fully levelled ADP especially with Attunement as well.

    Bad bosses:

    I partially agree with this one. I like most of the bosses, and I do think the "dudes in armour" are better balanced than most DS1 bosses, especially when it comes to hitboxes. However, they do get boring fast, and most of the bosses that aren't dudes in armour are quite bad. The biggest problem imo tho is how much magic cheeses bosses, and their low HP. Buff the HP of every boss by 50-200%, nerf their damage a little (except with useless ones like Covetous Demon), and cap spell casts at 50% of max during bossfights, and they'd be much better, for me anyway.

    As for gank bosses, I really struggled with Ruin Sentinels for example, but found it fair. The only bosses I hated were Royal Rat Authority (due to small enemies in the fight at the start, same issue as Kapra Demon from DS1 but not quite as bad as bonfire is right outside), Old Iron King (boring and THAT STUPID LAVA PIT) and Prowling Magus and Congregation (just... boring?). Giant Lord, Last Giant, Royal Rat Vanguard and Covetous Demon are bad but not utterly terrible.

    On the other hand, there are great bosses like Pursuer, Executioner's Chariot, Looking Glass Knight, Smelter Demon, Velstadt,

    World Design:

    I do prefer Dark Souls 1's interconnected world to DS2's disjointed mess, but as many have pointed out, there is method to this madness, literally. The world doesn't make sense because you forget. While I appreciate this, it doesn't make me enjoy the world more than that of DS1. While the levels themselves could have done with more interconnectivity however (more like that second bonfire in Forest of the Fallen Giants), although both DS3 and Bloodborne have done a better job at this, their locations are far less varied and in the case of DS3 the world design at large is even worse.

    submitted by /u/SmuJamesB
    [link] [comments]

    After years of hearing how "bad" Dark Souls 2 was, I played it. I REALLY liked it y'all. Made a video to encapsulate my thoughts for fun.

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 04:46 PM PST

    https://youtu.be/SrQNKkvTZIQ

    Thanks to all of you for keeping this game alive and convincing me to give it a chance.

    submitted by /u/HippieBlumbus
    [link] [comments]

    No death no bonfire help.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 10:19 AM PST

    So a few days ago I started my no death run no bonfire run. Yesterday I got the Santiers Spear and today I made it to the Undead Crypt, does anyone have any tips for me to make it though without any bells to be rung?

    submitted by /u/matthewreiter04
    [link] [comments]

    Smelter or aged smelter sword

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 09:14 AM PST

    Which one should I get after I beat the smelter demon I like how the aged one looks but I don't know it a magic sword would be good

    submitted by /u/blamedpower96
    [link] [comments]

    Ds2 vs Ds3

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 07:57 AM PST

    My first souls game ever was dark souls 3 on the ps4. That game made me rage so much while also being fun at the same time. After finishing it once, i quit since i wanted to pvp, whilst also not wanting to pay for psplus. I then approaching ds2, whcih I quit after pursuer boss fight due me being mad at why I had no I-frames, along with the fact that I didn't have psplus so i couldnt summon. A few month back i picked the game up again ( On pc this time so I wouldnt have to pay for online coop), recognizing that adaptability was important, and rolled through the game multiple times. Now recently, I got ds3 on pc, expecting it to be much better than ds2, but instead, I honestly dont know which one i prefer right now. I thought that the fast pace, roll spamming combat of ds3 would interest me, but the slow methodical approach from ds2 interests me more. DS2 pve I like alot, whilst the pvp kinda is mediocre. Ds3 pvp i like alot, whilst the pve I prefer less than DS2. Playing through both these games make me wonder even more why people hate ds2. It can even compare against ds3 in my book, maybe being even better.

    submitted by /u/MudkipzRawsme
    [link] [comments]

    To the player Oi oi

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 12:46 PM PST

    Hope I remembered your name correctly. So today I was invaded in Drangleic castle by this player, we exchanged couple of hits ... Well he hit me most of time ... And than we exchanged couple of gestures. He dropped me 10x human effigy and leave me be. This was by far the best experience with invaders in souls series. I love this community and Oi Oi, if you're reading this, thank you very much!

    submitted by /u/Dragon1Svk
    [link] [comments]

    Happy Souls

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 12:40 PM PST

    I have all dark spells but i havent got the trophy...

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 12:03 PM PST

    Hi, as the title said, im playing DS2 SOTFS in pc and i got the 19 dark spells but i havent got the trophy... In theory i dont need the dark spells of the DLC for getting this trohpy so i dont know what can i do for getting this trophy....

    submitted by /u/Deiv1s
    [link] [comments]

    Going live now for part 2 of my dark souls 2 playthrough, fairly new to the game so feel free to drop by and give me some tips ( learned about the power stance yesterday thanks to some awesome people in chat) here is my twitch. twitch.tv/fatneckitten.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 11:50 AM PST

    PvP

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 11:29 AM PST

    What's the most popular area for pvp now a days?

    submitted by /u/bsulls0298
    [link] [comments]

    Ascended Mod

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 11:26 AM PST

    I've played the ascended mod all the way through to the final boss and it's taken me 37 attempts to no avail. I just need help

    submitted by /u/NutonThAtBASS
    [link] [comments]

    Fumes Knight Defeated

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 08:22 PM PST

    After about 100 tries, I have finally defeated Fume Knight. Looking back it is not too tough now because there is pattern for his attacks. I used Zweihander sword and buffed with lighting. First phase, roll to his right and execute 1 strong attack and back out. For phase two dont run away. Stay close to him and roll to right when he swings his sword. Be prepared to roll twice to his right when he uses double combo attack. If you need to use Estus, use it after you have rolled and dodged his attack. Stay near him and roll to his right side. Good luck.

    submitted by /u/LelandCorner
    [link] [comments]

    Dragonrider fail

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 08:54 PM PST

    Just bought DS2 on sale yesterday on PS4 store ($10) and spent solid 4 hours today trying to beat Dragonrider as a sorcerer with only soul arrows at level 17 (so it turned out 30 soul arrows wouldn't even kill him) then finally had an attempt where he fell off the ledge after attacking then turning 180° on me. Absolute LUL.

    submitted by /u/nerfherder00
    [link] [comments]

    A low health, strength character is brutal in this game.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 08:25 AM PST

    So I've played the souls games a lot. So I can safely play low health builds to do more damage most of the time.

    But a low health, strength build in this game is hard AF!

    Unlike ds1,ds3,and bloodborne, enemies are pretty relentless in their pursuit. You also can't just run for a boss because of the annoying fog walls in this game. So you have to fight almost everything.

    One example of this being hard for a low hp strength character is iron keep. The alonne knights can whip out an attack on like frame fricken 1. So when you attack with a STR weapon, you get stunned by them before your attack hits. So you have to pre emptively swing at them and likely totally miss.

    Unlike ds3, this game has less of a hyper armor effect. As mentioned above, you can still get stunned mid swing with a power weapon.

    Finally, if you're truly trying to optimize your damage output, you have to try and ignore the VIT stat. So you have to be using low defense and low poise armor so you don't fat roll. When you couple that with slow attack speed, you're gonna have a bad time in this game lol.

    Of all the playthroughs ive done, this specific playthrough on this game is probably one of the hardest.

    Its actually harder than a bow and arrow only character lol

    submitted by /u/hyperparadise-
    [link] [comments]

    Never played a souls-borne game...am I going to love it or hate it...?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 08:14 AM PST

    So DS2 and DS3 on PS4 are super cheap on PSN via Turkey (where I buy digital content).

    My concern is that I might find them way too hard to play, but have always been intrigued by the following that they have...

    ...am I going to hate it? I'm not a hardcore gamer and yes, I'm posting in a sub where it is likely the bias is towards enjoying the game, but I also respect that for the most part, people are grown-ups and will be honest...right?!

    Thoughts below, lovely people!

    submitted by /u/jageanke
    [link] [comments]

    Dancing With Channeler's Trident While Naked

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 02:14 AM PST

    Let's say someone kill you in PvP, removing all of his/her clothes, and then dance with Channeler's Trident's Two-Handed Special Attack. Will you get offended or not? I'm gonna do this if I win in PvP because I thought it's gonna be hilarious, but I don't like to offend anyone.

    submitted by /u/fantastrike
    [link] [comments]

    Start in offline mode

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 08:23 PM PST

    Is there a way to force the game to start in offline mode without being offline or having steam in offline mode? I'm playing it through family share so unfortunately I have to be connected to steam to launch the game. The other games were pretty convenient about this by just letting you select to go offline but this one doesn't seem to. Trying to reinstall to not agree to the TOS at the start to see if that works but figured I'd ask in case there was an easy workaround.

    edit: I found a way to do with without going offline. All you do (if anyone ever finds this post in a google search) is open windows firewall, create a new rule, select the game exe (open program files through steam to find where the game exe is), then block it. Ezpz, works if you're doing family share or other ways that require an online connection.

    submitted by /u/Toxicognath
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment