• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 11, 2020

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Help a hollow.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Help a hollow.


    /r/DarkSouls - Help a hollow.

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 10:07 PM PST

    Welcome to our Wednesday thru Thursday sticky thread "Help A Hollow."

    Do you need the game mechanics explained a bit? Don't understand scaling, infusion, or magic? Just can't take on O&S solo?

    If you have a question or need a hand then skip /new for the day and get the help you need. Leave a comment below and someone will help you shortly. Or sort comments by new and be a helpful hollow. Remember to check out /r/DarkSouls/wiki and contribute!


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls helped me get through quarantine, so I got it tattooed.

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 08:15 PM PST

    This died in new on r/tattoos, but I think you guys will appreciate it more. I finally began and finished Dark Souls for the first time in quarantine, and I never felt prouder about any other video game achievement. It was hard, painful by moments (I see ya, archers of Anor Londo), but it was also beautiful, even therapeutic if I dare say. It helped me confront the loneliness of quanrantine and it taught me that it was worth it to get up and fight, no matter how many times you had fallen before. And so I decided to get inked, and imprint that masterpiece of a game in my skin, my way to remember to never go hollow. Here it is, done by Marie-Michèle Côté at O'Studio Tattoo Shop in Saint-Eustache, Quebec, Canada. https://imgur.com/gallery/08bhAE2

    submitted by /u/SheWolf9906
    [link] [comments]

    After a painful final evening, I final got all achievements.

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 06:39 AM PST

    Having never completed the first Dark Souls (Platinumed Demon's Souls, and played the rest of the series), I decided to 100% it. Last night, all I had left was to get a Sif soul to get the Knight's Honor achievement which would then unlock the final Dark Soul achievement. Easy. I would just need to beat Gwyn to activate NG+, then rush Sif followed by Gargoyles, Queelag and Sen's Fortress. I should be done this within the hour!

    Get Sif, goyles, queelag and rush through Sen's Fortress. I make my way through Anor Londo to the blacksmith. Here we go, ascension and completion! Oh wait... I forgot to bring a +10 sword to ascend. Which means I need to get back to Andre... Which means I need to beat O&S so I can warp... I don't know if there is a jump in difficulty between NG+5 and +6, but HOLY SHIT. This was the first time I had major trouble with O&S. And since I rushed it, there was no Solaire to help me out... After about 4-5 tries, they died. The Lordvessel was mine. Warp to Andre

    Wait.. I can't get beyond +5? Oh right.. the ember.. Where is that ember..? Hmm there is one after moonlight butterfly. That's the one! Run through Darkroot garden, beat butterfly and get... the Divine Ember?! What the fuck? Where is the... Oh right... the Depths....

    Warp to Sunlight Shrine to cross the bridge to lower burg. But the door is locked. I forgot to pick the key up.. run back through the parish, back to the door and head down. I kept trying to just rush it to Capra, but the two dogs outside his fog gate would always lock me in some weird geometry and the thieves would gank me. I tried this about 6 times before I said fuck it and took it slow and steady. Capra was being a major butthole and took about 4 tries.

    By this time, it's 4 hours later and I'm exhausted. I just want to go to bed. Head down to the depths in a hurry, but then get cornered and cut down by the dozen undead just above the butcher (not my proudest moment). And I hadn't hit a bonfire since sunlight altar... sigh. Run all the way through Lower Burg again, get the ember and homeward bone. Warp to Parish and get my 10+ upgraded. And this point, I am practically falling asleep controller in hand. I warp to Chamber of the Daughter and head to the blacksmith. And let me tell you, getting that achievement felt great. Now to do this with the rest of the series...

    TL:DR; I thought I would be able to finish an achievement in less than 60 minutes, but due to my ineptitude and shortsightedness it took me over four hours.

    *EDIT\*: Thanks for the award, kind stranger! This land is peaceful, it's people kind.

    submitted by /u/Murdoc_2
    [link] [comments]

    An oil painting I made!

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 04:43 AM PST

    Pursuit of the Taken Knight oil painting https://imgur.com/gallery/xuursk9

    submitted by /u/LongFineArt
    [link] [comments]

    I DID IT, I FUC*ING DID IT.

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 12:25 PM PST

    I KILLED THE FOUR FREAKING KINGS.

    ALL THANKS TO YOU.

    This is an amazing community, not only you gave me advice on how to kill these bastards, you encouraged me and supported me. I love this game, I really do, and the fact that it has this AMAZING community backing you up, filled with people willing to help each other, makes it even better. I was at the brink of giving up the game entirely, now I can´t wait for the next boss.

    On to Nito now! (yeah, I know, it will be hard as hell too haha)

    Big hugs from Argentina! ♥

    Special thanks to itsamemario789, the first to comment and the first to tell me the winning strategy! :D

    submitted by /u/Revolutionary-Home63
    [link] [comments]

    An oil painting I made!

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 04:43 AM PST

    Pursuit of the Taken Knight oil painting https://imgur.com/gallery/xuursk9

    submitted by /u/LongFineArt
    [link] [comments]

    I painted the Jeremiah miniature from the Dark Souls Board Game

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 11:36 PM PST

    Dark spirit King Jeremiah has invaded!

    https://i.imgur.com/ZpwEjtv.jpg

    submitted by /u/ItchyGren
    [link] [comments]

    I made a 3D model of the Greatsword of Artorias

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 05:14 PM PST

    https://i.imgur.com/Ntlmbj3.jpg

    I wanted to make fan art of Artorias, so I'm starting with his greatsword. Modeled from scratch in Blender and Textured in Substance painter

    It's not 100% accurate, I've seen many versions online and I don't know which one is the correct one, so please don't use it as a reference.

    3D model can be viewed on the following link : https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/artoriaswolf-knight-greatsword-d6bb8468f06c4c249e647712713e5d33

    submitted by /u/XuRuX
    [link] [comments]

    I have just beated Artorias for the first time, it was really hard

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 03:38 AM PST

    An oil painting I made!

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 04:43 AM PST

    Pursuit of the Taken Knight oil painting https://imgur.com/gallery/xuursk9

    submitted by /u/LongFineArt
    [link] [comments]

    Just completed my first SL1 run! Here’s my impressions of all the bosses

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 01:28 PM PST

    For reference I used a lightning reinforced club and dark woodgrain ring, but ignored pyromancy. Anyway here's my thoughts on every boss I fought at SL1. Sorry for the wall of text, I'm on a high of just having completed this run and feel like sharing!

    Asylum/Taurus/Gargoyles: Business as usual. Didn't feel that different from a normal run yet.

    Capra Demon: Dogs weren't much of a problem my first run. This time they definitely were. Still, once they were down, actual Capra wasn't much trouble.

    Gaping Dragon: This shit was annoying, lol. I think this was the least damage I ever dealt to a boss the whole run, proportional to their health bar of course. Basically an endurance fight.

    Quelaag: Easier than expected? Didn't really have to develop any new strategies to beat her, aside from the fact that her AoE could now one shot me, so it was to be avoided at all costs.

    Moonlight Butterfly: Still boring, still trash. Next.

    Sif: That speed, that damage. If Gaping Dragon was the moment where I realized how little damage I did, Sif was a wake up call to how quickly I could die if I didn't pay attention. This is where the dread of all that lay ahead started setting in.

    Asylum Demon: I still have no idea how that AoE works.

    Iron Golem: My first run I didn't know about the Sen's Fortress bonfire, so this time I was fully prepared to get yeeted off by the boss and run back. I shudder at the thought of having to run through the whole fortress after every death, again. Tbh I don't have much to say about the actual boss.

    Ornstein & Smough: Most people have a click moment with O&S their first run, where they feel that euphoria and decide they're gonna see the game through. For me that click moment happened in SL1. This was the only fight that took me multiple days, despite it being a first try boss during my initial playthrough. Ornstein in particular, is such an asshole. I really did almost give up here. But I persevered and overcame my first big wall, and decided I was gonna finish this damn run. What a magical fight.

    Four Kings: This one took a while to get used to. I had to be so optimal with my punishes here, every second wasted was another second spent fighting multiple Kings simultaneously. But it turned out to be a manageable fight in the end, a bit on the tough side.

    Sanctuary Guardian: Decided to get a head start on the DLC, figured if I could beat this then I could beat the game. An exhilarating fight. I honestly think if this guy was a base game boss he'd be a lot more popular, but the other DLC bosses cast quite the shadow. At SL1 though, he felt no less difficult than the others, albeit a bit squishier.

    Artorias: Fuck yeah man. Artorias was as fun as ever. I died a lot but I was smiling the whole time. He really forced me to learn all his moves to best him, felt like a damn ninja avoiding everything.

    Manus: This was unexpected. I honestly think Manus was my favorite SL1 experience. Just like Artorias he forced me to learn to counter everything he did, but for whatever reason it was even more satisfying here. Honestly if you were to put a gun to my head right now and tell me to beat any Dark Souls boss hitless, then excluding the obvious early game pushovers I'd probably go with Manus. That's how well I know him now. We're best buds.

    Kalameet: So I knew going in he was resistant to lightning, but my stubborn ass stuck to the lightning club. I was gonna do shit damage no matter what, so I didn't mind. Another endurance fight, but way more fun than Gaping Dragon, obviously. Overall I honestly found the DLC bosses to be the most fun, least frustrating ones to do at SL1, despite the fact that they probably killed me the most (other than O&S).

    Ceaseless Discharge: From the highs of AotA to the lows of Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith. Oh boy. Anyway, Ceaseless felt impossible at first, he kept doing his damn Discharge. Eventually realized if you go near the edge he's more likely to do his punishable slam attack instead, and that's all she wrote.

    Demon Firesage: I STILL have no idea how that AoE works

    Centipede Demon: So there was a trend arising with the bosses, where once I could act on instinct alone and get lucky, now I had to take my time and memorize every move and how to react to it. This didn't happen with Centipede Demon... I kinda just, dodged around randomly and he just died first try. I still have no idea what he actually does.

    Bed of Chaos: no

    Pinwheel: So, uhhh... I died to Pinwheel. Yep. I was like "heehee hoohoo look at this damage" and a fireball got me. Fml.

    Nito: What a bitch, lmao. What a slow-walking, sword-summoning, skeleton-minion-having, grade A bitch. Those skeletons were damn annoying, thank god Nito can damage them back. If not this would've taken forever.

    Crossbreed Priscilla: Okay, similar to Centipede Demon, I still have no idea what she does. It was my first time with her, had no idea she'd stay invisible the whole time. Kinda just dodged around, and attacked wherever I saw the snow poof up. I was expecting some Lady Friede level shit, so I was quite disappointed.

    Gwyndolin: The second boss that I hadn't fought my first playthrough. But man, this was more fun than I'd heard. It's basically Moonlight Butterfly done right imo, a ranged fight where you have to keep pushing towards the boss, instead of waiting for him. A pleasant surprise.

    Seath the Scaleless: Scared the fuck out of me when I realized he could curse you. I should've stocked up on those damn purging stones. Thankfully I got him before running out. But fuck, not a fun fight at all. At least there was the satisfaction of only having one boss left...

    Gwyn: Fuuuuck yes, and there I was. Final boss. My first run I didn't bother parrying him, so this time around I had no qualms about bringing out my target shield and taking full advantage of this guy. But still, it was no cakewalk. By far he was the most aggressive boss, and I could never parry that fast attack, leading to several quick deaths. But when I finally got the timings down, parrying him again and again to the tune of Plin Plin Plon was fucking hilarious.

    If you've read this far, holy shit, nice. And thanks! I never thought I'd do a challenge run, that was never really my thing, but Dark Souls 1 in particular compelled me to try. If you kinda just skipped through, which I assume is most of you, the tl;dr is,

    Biggest surprise: how enjoyable the DLC was even while underpowered.

    Biggest disappointment: Centipede Demon and Priscilla.

    Biggest challenge: O&S and Gwyn.

    submitted by /u/tenamonth
    [link] [comments]

    I have reuploaded Moonlightbutterfly's Dark Souls Movie to Youtube

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 07:46 PM PST

    Title.

    About a year ago, the creator Moonlightbutterfly (also known as SunlightMaggot) deleted both of their channels, along with them a huge amount of content. This was all beautiful camera work and cinematography done within the dark souls games. For a while, the only version of the movie you could find on youtube was one with obnoxious portuguese subtitles that got in the way. Obviously my contribution isn't much. All I did was stitch the parts together and reupload them.

    Anyhow, if you haven't seen the movie before, I HIGHLY recommend you watch it. Moonlightbutterfly's work is amazing, and perfectly encapsulates the lore and atmosphere of dark souls.

    Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tupTWtRx8kI

    submitted by /u/hyperham51197
    [link] [comments]

    Found a potentially helpful glitch!

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 06:08 AM PST

    So before I divulge any information, I'd like to not risk making myself look like an idiot. I feel like, with how easy this was, that someone has DEFINITELY discovered this and most likely a long time ago - but no amount of google searching could turn up anything on the subject so I thought I'd share.

    Anyway, I was messing around on a new character - FRESH out of undead asylum, at firelink shrine - jumping on walls and generally just goofing off. While running around a random ledge I found a way to get back to the birds nest that transports you back to undead asylum and, vicariously, the stray demon fight that ends in getting a titanite slab.

    I can't imagine this being incredibly useful, except for challenging yourself and a good amount of souls for that level, but if it hasn't already been discovered I would love to explain how to do so :).

    Since I don't have a way to video capture, this would take a lot of time to explain, and I just wanted to save myself some time typing in case it already has been found.

    submitted by /u/Snoo-65246
    [link] [comments]

    Whoops. Help with a soft ban for modding. PC.

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 04:39 AM PST

    So my dumb ass just noticed that the normal log in screen has been telling me I'm temporarily banned for mods. I normally play offline, so I hadn't checked. I mean, I get it. Fair. I logged in with mods. I SHOULD be doing my enemy randomizer runs offline. I'm not mad about it.

    My question it says "untill we see improvement" and I'm just wondering what that means? If I re-install fresh, would that clear it up, or is this a ban for a time, or am I forever alone in dark souls now?

    I'm not a cheater, just kinda dumb like that. But any help would be appreciated. I tried helping 2 people asking for help on reddit, and feel totally like an idiot for wasting thier time now.

    submitted by /u/TheManOfOurTimes
    [link] [comments]

    Can't see summon signs?

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 04:23 AM PST

    I am kinda stuck at Manus and I tried to summon someone so I kept looking for summon signs but can't see any, is my game bugged or does no one put summon signs at manus? I could summon someone at Artorias and I can get invaded fine, I just can't summon at Manus.

    submitted by /u/efeby2005
    [link] [comments]

    100% all Souls-Borne Games! (400 hrs)

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 06:48 PM PST

    After playing my first Souls-borne game, DSR on switch for 700 hours, I saw the Demon's souls announcement trailer. This inspired me to dust off the old ps4 and beat all of the Miyazaki masterpieces before November 12th and earn All the platinums.

    After months of hard work, I have gotten The platinum trophies for DSR, Ds2 Sotfs, and DS3 all dlc, and Bloodborne All dlc.

    DSR was a cake-walk, and just needed some farming here and there (keep in mind I spent many hours playing on switch beforehand, so I knew every fight and level inside and out). 50 hours for platinum.

    Of all of the grinds, DS2 SOFTS by far took the longest. The clunky controls were horrid after spending over 750 total hours playing DSR. At least the game was on sale for 14 bucks. 200 hours for platinum.

    Ds3 was the most exitingly easy platinum of the trio. As well as being fundamentally similar to DSR, Boss fights were balanced and fair, and the linear level design made my life so much easier. Mild grinding for covenants aside, was a very rich and enjoyable game. 60 hours for platinum.

    Bloodborne: My favorite combat mechanics of the whole genre. Linear design, hard as shit bosses (looking at you mr placenta whip holding fetus). The beginning of the game was a slog, the levels looked too similar, and I missed the variable sceneries in other SB games. The dlc more than made up for this though, and was one of my most memorable gaming experiences. The chalices were also a slog. 80 hours for platinum (would have been 50 if not for Orphan Kos and chalices).

    Now I just gotta find a way to buy a ps5.... I have a launch ps4 that runs seikiro like a PowerPoint, so I'm waiting for the ps5 to play it and Demon's souls.

    All in all, was a super intense and frustrating quarantine, But it was worth it. It was this awesome SB community that kept me coming back to each game. I've experienced hundreds of hours of exiting pvp, lag-switch backstabbu, try finger but hole, and praising the sun with hundreds of you sunbros. Thanks for the adventure, and I look foreword to pointing down you bastards in the next release!

    PSN ID: Giant69Dad

    submitted by /u/Giant69Dad
    [link] [comments]

    The four kings bamboozled me

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 06:48 PM PST

    I was on the fourth king taking my time not mess up, had him with one hit left, and another king hit me. Turns out they infinity spawn.

    submitted by /u/JoshuaBlueballs
    [link] [comments]

    I need help on the gargoyles

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 03:16 AM PST

    First play through, and I'm using the drake sword. I know that I should focus one, but are there any good starts to take them out?

    submitted by /u/RiverP0et
    [link] [comments]

    Just beat Kalameet on NG+

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 10:41 PM PST

    For some reason I wasn't able to access the DLC on my first run through, so my first time facing all the DLC bosses was on NG+. Took me a bunch of tries but I finally beat Kalameet. Manus will definitely be a challenge!

    submitted by /u/Strontium-90210
    [link] [comments]

    Ive got the DS Itch. Need some alternatives.

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 01:40 AM PST

    Hello community.

    So I have a problem. I absolutely love the DS games. I have played them all multiple times. Max leveled 1 and 3, played different pvp builds, ran up to NG+4 in DS, DS3 NG+5, completed 100% on Bloodborne. I have played DS2 2 vanilla and Scholar of the first sin. I played Demon Souls classic 3 times. I dont have a PS5 yet to play the remastered. I watch runs on youtube all the time.

    So, I am not boasting. I am just justifying my problem. I have played DS games to death. And I would just like a change of scenery while technically playing a game that feels like another Souls game that i haven't already tried.

    I have got the soulsborne itch, and I would like to ask everyone if there are any games like the soulsborne series that would satisfy. Any opinions or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. I am looking for a game with an engaging story, rpg like elements, difficulty comparable to DS games (difficulty due to requiring skill and patience rather than artificial obstacles or "lazy" mechanics), something that makes you feel accomplished when you complete a task, and maybe if possible a dark fantasy setting. Tall list and im not expecting many options but I wanted to ask anyways. Im also a huge lore loving guy. Always looking for a great story.

    Here are the games I've considered but im kinda iffy on:

    • Mortal Shell: looks like its not as deep or story driven as DS games, limited on weaponry and armor, and a short game overall

    • Hellpoint: looks kinda boring after watching 20min of gameplay

    • Code Vein: getting mixed reviews and a little nervous about trying myself

    • Lords of the Fallen: felt kinda cheap to play. I gave it multiple chances but couldn't get into it

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/PsychoSe7eN
    [link] [comments]

    Regarding Oswald

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 10:58 PM PST

    Was on a ng+ run and I wanted to get the bloodbite ring for my lifehunt scythe. I return to where Oswald would be after beating Anor Londo, but he wasn't there. My assumption is I must've just killed him and don't remember, but now I'm unsure if I can get the ring. Is there another way?

    submitted by /u/Bojangles865
    [link] [comments]

    Hot Takes on Bosses

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 08:06 PM PST

    Dark Souls Fans of Reddit, give me your hottest hot takes on bosses. You can do any fromsoft game although I'd assume most will be from the souls series.

    This can be:

    1. a hard boss you found easy
    2. an easy boss you found hard
    3. a highly regarded boss you found underwhelming
    4. a poorly regarded boss you enjoyed.

    For me:

    1. Fume Knight
    2. Smelter Demon
    3. Kalameet
    4. Ancient Dragon
    submitted by /u/Polaris11568
    [link] [comments]

    How well do Dark Souls 1 and 2 hold up in 2020?

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 04:50 AM PST

    Hey! I'm thinking about grabbing the Dark Souls trilogy pack. In the past, I've played a bit of Dark Souls 2 but didn't get too into it. Recently started playing Bloodborne and I'm in love with it. Will DS1 and DS2 feel dated? If so, what are some other games that will scratch the same itch as Bloodborne?

    submitted by /u/rollakahrit
    [link] [comments]

    Seems like the pandemic hit Lordran as well...

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 08:05 PM PST

    Have you noticed? When you speak to Petrus in Firelink Shrine for the first time, he'll tell you:

    "Hello there. I believe we are not acquainted?
    I am Petrus of Thorolund. Have you business with us?
    …If not, I'd prefer to keep a distance, if possible."

    Also, he sells Heal and Great Heal Excerpt. Illuminati confirmed?

    submitted by /u/danielecappuccio
    [link] [comments]

    Hey I Beat the Towet Gargoyles With a Bow and Got the Tail Axe! That is All

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 05:20 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment