• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 13, 2020

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Salty Sunday.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Salty Sunday.


    /r/DarkSouls - Salty Sunday.

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 11:08 PM PDT

    Today's Salty Sunday is brought to you by the Bed of Chaos

    Being Gravelorded in Anor Londo? Died to Bed Of Chaos for the 100th time? Checked your phone for a second, only to run off a cliff and lose your bloodstain?

    Grab a spoon and watch your blood pressure soar! All complaints are welcome here. Just keep things civil and follow the Posting Guidelines in the sidebar.


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What's your least favorite area and why is it Lost Izalith?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    Ok hear me out....Blighttown sucks but at least the architecture/layout is neat. The whole verticle aspect of it is kinda neat.

    But Lost Izalith....it's a huge lava pit full of dino asses who want to punt you into oblivion. The bonfire is behind an illusory wall, the bed of goddamn chaos AND you can lose sunbro :(

    Not to mention to get there you need to beat discount spicy stray demon and the camera demon.

    Edit: lots of you guys are saying catacombs which is true but you can cut most of that by dropping to vamos.

    My list: 1. Lost Izalith 2. Blighttown 3. Catacombs 4. Tomb of the Giants 5. New Londo ruins

    At least ToG is easy enough to sprint through once you know where to go. Blighttown sucks because of how early it is + slows you down + it's a pain to get out post Quelaag due to the verticle nature of it. NL could use a bonfire -- mostly because I would appreciate being able to refresh my spell uses pre 4 kings

    submitted by /u/PoeticScience
    [link] [comments]

    I think a lot of people forget how much Dark Souls changed with patches (game fixes, not the character)

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 12:21 AM PDT

    There are a small portion of this community who all played Dark Souls in 'the dark ages' before the patches came in, and enough aspects changed where that old version was an entirely different experience.

    Any of you fellas remember how bad the 'Cursed' status effect used to be? It was so inconvenient and difficult to lift the curse and the effects stacked until literally EVERY enemy in the game could kill you in a single hit. Whether it was the catacomb statue spikes or a hollow crossbow. One. Hit. Deaths. We've all been spoiled by the patch that stops any health loss above 50%, but it did not used to be that way.

    Everyone associates (Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game anyway) Blighttown with frame-rate problems, but the game used to have a horrible frame-rate in most areas. Blighttown used to be SO much worse than it is now. It used to look like you were watching a slideshow instead of playing a game. PVP was playable but never functioned properly.

    You used to not be able to switch lock-on targets. You used to have to keep clicking the stick until the right enemy was locked-on.

    As challenging as the game is, it used to be muuuuuch harder. And not in a good way.

    I'd like to take this moment to thank FromSoftware for not leaving their game in the broken state it launched in. I'd also like to have a moment of silence for all the people who played and beat the game before these patches.

    submitted by /u/RPMacReady
    [link] [comments]

    Nito’s revenge

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 12:56 AM PDT

    So I was fighting Nito, and in the fight he hit me and I got toxic. I mostly just tanked the damage though and killed him. After he died, I quickly put on the silver serpent ring and the symbol of avarice. Then I did the 'well what is it' gesture over his corpse, but in the middle of the animation, I died from the combination of the toxic and the symbol of avarice. It was quite hilarious.

    submitted by /u/FunSouls
    [link] [comments]

    Why Gwyn is a fantastic bossfight

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 05:39 AM PDT

    Gwyn is a rather easy boss, but that doesn't mean he's a bad final boss. The build up is fantastic, he is very well astablished in the intro and you get to walk through his land and see his impact, you go through Anor Londo (city of gods), you go through the duke's archives and fight seath, you go through New Londo, a drowned city where you see ghosts and people that have gone completely mad, and you fight the four kings, puppets of Gwyn who were tempted by the abyss. Lordran is an incredible display of Gwyn's might

    When you first get to the kiln it genuienly feels like you're going through time and space, you walk through the burnt kiln and see all the black knights that followed Gwyn there. Then you meet him, surprisingly he's but a shadow of what he once was, he had become so weak that he gets parried by just a tiny shield, but he still puts up a fight. The music in the background is all in light notes because he is the god of sunlight wich is such a great detail.

    The buildup and the atmosphere is great, he might be easy, but he sure is memorable.

    submitted by /u/Flariore3
    [link] [comments]

    Just another Dark Souls depression post

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 08:52 PM PDT

    I am ABSOLUTELY NOT devaluing the meaningful stories of other people on this sub who've posted similar topics. Their struggles are real, and I won't claim otherwise. I titled it like that because I know I'm not the only one who's found help through this community.

    Now that you've (hopefully) taken your downvote back, I'd like to say that for a long while I've been in denial about my depression and self-esteem issues until a few months ago when in late June, I started my first playthrough of DS1, and since then, I've played through 3 additional times, and have been playing through DS2 until now.

    As I'm sure most players will recognize the quote: "Be safe, friend. Don't you dare go Hollow."

    Those sentences are what keep me going. No matter how bad I'm feeling, no matter how lonely I am, I will NEVER go Hollow!

    Any time I'm feeling down or left out, I embrace that feeling and play Dark Souls, because I know it'll make me feel better. Whether it's reading goofy messages or beating a certain boss that's been giving me trouble, I know I can do it because I know this community has my back.

    I'm not asking for help here or anything, this is just my addition to a wonderful group of people I've never met.

    Stay safe, Sunbros, and thank you.

    submitted by /u/THEPatrickCarn
    [link] [comments]

    Blight Town is paradise compared to Tomb of the Giants.

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 02:54 AM PDT

    I kept hearing how Blight Town was a Nightmare but it's a sunny beach on a tropical island compared to the shit hole Tomb of the Giants. Everything about that place was hell. Can't see shit. Empty voids everywhere to fall in. Annoying giant Skeletons. The absolute worst bonfire position far away from the Boss Nito. Boss Nito is annoying with his infinite respawn minions. You take half health falling into the Boss arena everytime.

    I would take Blightown the entire game then one more hour in Tomb of the Giants. And what makes it worse is it's a Lord Boss so it's mandatory and I have to go through the shit hole again on New game plus.

    submitted by /u/ProAssassin84
    [link] [comments]

    It is common to the Taurus Demmon commit suicide?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 09:09 AM PDT

    I am in my first playtrough and he just jumped out of the bridge and died.

    submitted by /u/Vaultoldman
    [link] [comments]

    Got Remastered finally, I'm... surprised?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 04:18 PM PDT

    So I played through PTDE back in the day and probably it was the most eye-opening experience in gaming ever, more so on the nature of life, rather than gaming. It's probably one of those 'Dark Souls changed my life' cliches, but no point digging into this. It was the thing to play back then, and as much as I don't really like hard game, I went through the gauntlet and kinda didn't want to do that again.

    When Dark Souls 2 launched, I eventually bought it, only to find a game that relies only on difficulty without bringing much to the table, also a lot of lazy design that didn't play well with the series mechanics. I never finished it, though after the years I did put it on my 'to do soon' list.

    Dark Souls 3 was another story. I really didn't want more of the same, there were other games, some people claimed it's not that good, all the same series of trash mobs and then boss fights. Eventually I bought it on sale and had the time of my life, making it half-way through the game, until I lost my saves and left it there sitting for a year (still doesn't have cloud saves on PC, fuck that). I'm currently doing it from the start and it's addictive as hell.

    In the meantime, having some spare cash I decided to buy Remastered. Everyone told me not to, cause it doesn't improve much, but I figured what the hell, at least no more DSFix shenanigans.

    I played just an hour and was struck with how different it is to the other two. The original, at least early on really has less bullshit, you can rely on the the mechanics and not worry about multiple enemies hitting you in tandem with an infinite combo, if you screw up. What shocked me the most was that the game is so much slower. You move slower, your roll is basically the fat roll at the beginning, you have less health, less stamina and poise is a thing. This game is really unique in how it plays, it's less hectic than 3 and doesn't have the bullshit factor of 2. Your Estus is really your fuel, it dictates how far you can safely go. In 3 it's more about how skillful and smart you play and in 2 it's Lifegems up to 99. But in the DS1, you really need to think how far can you go with what you have. You're not showered by Homeward Bones, there is no leach weapons, it's oppressive, slow, meticulous, but also kind of easier, once you know how all this works.

    I'd say the strength and phenomenon of Dark Souls is not difficulty, it's that you have to understand that it's a game for patient people. Rushing and aggressive play will get you nowhere, you just need to be patient and precise. DS3 sometimes encourages aggressive play, it's so much faster and so much different.

    I really now understand why DS1 was so influential and still beloved. It's just a completely different game to the sequels.

    PS Wish me luck on Ornstein and Smough when I get there again.

    submitted by /u/mmaruda
    [link] [comments]

    After so many years, I finished it.

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    Damn it feels good.

    I first played darksouls when I was younger, must've been around 14 or 15. I never finished it, the furthest I got was O+S and even then it wasn't without help from my cousin.

    I'm now 20. I finished a run of 3 last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also dabbled in BB and intend to finish that next.

    So a few weeks ago I picked up remastered and thought I'd give it another shot, no help, no shield, just me. And goddamn did I have a good time. I think the boss I struggled the most on has to be O+S, as would be predicted, but even then it didn't take me an insane amount of tries to beat them. I even killed smough first. I also learnt how to parry reasonably well which meant Gwyn was a total pushover, but I feel that made the whole 'he's a husk of his former self' much more prevalent and sad.

    All in all, amazing experience and I will play it again just not yet. Can only take dark souls in bite size chunks.

    Praise the sun!

    submitted by /u/Vexylrei
    [link] [comments]

    Finally decided to go for Platinum and realized how much of my favorite game I had never explored

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 11:12 PM PDT

    I played this game just too much a few years ago. An unhealthy amount. Dozens and dozens of playthroughs with many different builds, Including SL1 runs and other challenges as well. Never considered going for platinum, despite it being my favorite game because of the grind though.

    After getting Sekiro, loving it and getting the platinum for that, it motivated me to pick up the remastered version of this game and go after the platinum.

    Some trophies require a lot of grinding but what I found is that even after several dozens of playthroughs, there was just so much I had never seen or calmly explored. I fell into a habit and always did things very similarly and skipped past some "annoying" areas without paying much attention to them whenever I played. I just mostly picked up the most important items for each build.

    Exploring every inch of the Painted World, Catacombs or Tomb of Giants made me appreciate the areas so much more. I also decided to traverse Blightown from the Depths route after having used the shortcut for pretty much all playthroughs and really enjoyed it. Also, completing some "obscure" questlines; Joining every covenant; looking for every item; there is just so much to this game. It's just too fucking good.

    I am still a bit far from my platinum trophy, but I have mapped out everything that is left and I'm looking forward to doing it all.

    I have played a lot of Demon's Souls, DS2, Bloodborne and Sekiro (never played DS3, curiously) and I have loved them all, but DS will probably always be my all time favorite game.

    I really recommend going for it. While there is a fair bit of grinding to do, I'm loving every second of the journey.

    submitted by /u/Helkix
    [link] [comments]

    Is the four kings doable at sl47?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 02:34 AM PDT

    I have elite knight armor at +4 black knight sword +3 and eagle shield

    submitted by /u/the-floot
    [link] [comments]

    Bonfire Sword Fire Poker

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 05:59 PM PDT

    Bonfire sword firepoker for my new fire pit. Comissioned from Dragon's Head Forge in West Farmington, Ohio. 3lbs 4oz, 36.75 in long wrought iron.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/pMqOISK

    submitted by /u/Foxarris
    [link] [comments]

    A short rant

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 01:50 AM PDT

    I absolutely hate these stupid darkwraith mages who enjoy showing up when your trying to clear an area only to hit you with a dark bead or a crystal soul spear. Seriously I am a level 40 character and my best gear is a +3 Astora short sword and a +5 gargoyle tail axe.

    submitted by /u/LunarraloS
    [link] [comments]

    Tales of a first playthrough

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 02:39 AM PDT

    Obligatory this is long and spoilery

    I played DSR recently after buying it a while back and I wanted to share some of my experiences with it. And then I raged quit. I played it again, and raged quit again. But after mustering willpower and way too much free time I beat the game in 65 hours ! I though I'd share some of my memorable moments.

    I started as a knight because the dice choose that class. Went up against the Asylum Demon with a weapon that does slightly more damage than a water pistol and that went as well as you'd expect - I died, again and again and again... Now all I'd heard about DS beforehand was It's hard and Git Gud so I didn't think to do the rationnal thing - look for some other way out - before way too many tries and getting him to half health. When I did I felt very stupid and not a small amount frustrated at the game for this. But it did feel great when equipped with an actual weapon and healing stuff I managed to kill him in one run.

    So I arrive in Firelink Shrine all full of myself and ready to start the game again and when the dude there mentions undead church I head for what looks like a ruined church and meet an prompt and untimely demise at the hands of two skeletons. Half a dozen tries later I managed to kill both of them and come upon the rather grim realization that they are the first of many... In half despair I decide to run through them to try and grab some useful stuff and go more then 20 meters from the first bonfire and I arrive at a dark descending stairway called The Catacombs which definitely doesnn't sound like I'm going "up above in the undead church".

    So I got DSR a while back on sale but only recently played it, rage quitted it, played it again, raged quitted again and finally played it in full - and I ended up loving it ! It's an amazing game despite many frustrations and I though I'd share some of the best moment 60 hours in game gave me.

    So I started by choosing the knight from a bunch of classes I didn't understand. Now I hadn't watched any guides or playthroughs and the only thing I'd heard about the game beforehand was it's hard and git gud... So when facing the Asylum Demon I with a weapon that does slightly more damage than a water pistol I realized maybe this game wasn't for me... Needless to say I felt very stupid and not inconsequently pissed at the game when I realized you could exit the fight, beat up a few low level baddies and get actually decent gear like health potions and an actual weapon. Reenterring the bossfight I proceeded to thourougly demolish him in one run (I should mention that I had managed to get him to half health with the broken sword - a feat I'm somewhat proud of).

    So I arrive in Firelink Shrine all full of myself and ready to start the game again and when the dude there mentions undead church I head for what looks like a ruined church and meet an prompt and untimely demise at the hands of two skeletons. Half a dozen tries later I managed to kill both of them and come upon the rather grim realization that they are the first of many... In half despair I decide to run through them to try and grab some useful stuff and go more then 20 meters from the first bonfire and I arrive at a dark descending stairway called The Catacombs which definetly doesn't sound like I'm going "up above in the undead church".

    A short death later I scout firelink a little more thouroughly and wouldn't you know hit I find a stairway going up - followed by some not inconsiderable anguish at the sight of four new enemies waiting up there. Anguish which is is promplty replaced by a feeling overwhelming power as I realize slapping them twice puts them out of their misery. A feeling mixed with the guilty stupidity of Ooohhh, I should have gone here all along, my life would have been so much easier !

    I managed to reach the first bonfire in one run and the boss in three, exhilarated at the feel of making progress and slightly perplexed as to why a weird green thing kept appearing in random places. Now the boss proved fairly hard - that is until he decided to commit suicide by jumping off, probably out of pity for my incompetence. Follow up with meeting Solaire and burning to death, obviously. I actually got through the bridge at the second try and managed to find the shortcut before falling to the bonfire without kicking the ladder... I got it right on the next try and met a fairly vicious boar who reamed me to death. After a few tries I discovered to things : that green thing spawns where you die and contains all your souls, and two there's a merchant in the undead burg, by a bow and a zillion arrows and the boar isn't a problem anymore. I then found the blacksmith's bonfire and proceeded into the church where I killed all the knights, found a handy elevator, headed upstairs and got gangbangded by hollows. What follows is probably one of the hardest boss fight I faced and the first time I checked a guide. It taught me two things : shields FTW and upgrade your halberd to actually do damage.

    After that the game started to flow better. Finding the lower undead burg needed going through the wiki and the Capra Demon was annoying until I realized I could firebomb his dogs to death. I got lost in the Depths way to many times but beat the boss in a single try. Blightown was harder but I made reliable progress (shitty swamp though). Quelaag was hard, very hard, especially considering I used a bunch of Estus fighting poison and those pesky mosquitoes on the way there.

    If I had to rank the bosses, the top three hardest would be Gargoyles, Orstein and Smough, ant Quelaag, but if I had to rank the areas, the one I struggled with most is Sen's Fortress. I just couldn't time the blade bridges right, especially the second one... It took me an ungodly amount of tries to unlock the shortcut and finally be able to skip all that nightmare. But then the boss wasn't too hard I got to Anor Londo. I'll just say two things about that place - how the hell was I supposed to know I had to walk on that tiny buttress to progress and I hate snipers, especially those who can shoot giant spear at you. Orstein and Smough was also a very big pain - especially the moment when you realize yeah I killed one of them ! Why is the second one big all of a sudden ? Why am I dead all of a sudden ?...

    The rest of the game had less revealing moments. My revenge on the skeletons was sweet until I realized those bony bois respawn. Seath and the Bed of Chaos had me check a wiki again because for some reason hitting them didn't damage them which felt at tad unfair. And Gwyn was fairly easy with the black knight shield.

    So that's it, I ended up loving it (if in a slightly masochistic fashion) and will play again to complete the long list of stuff I missed, like the whole DLC, but also the return to the asylum, the painted world and the ash lake.

    I fell the game is let down though not so much because it is hard but because it is obscure. I would have struggled way less if the mechanics where clearly explained. To sum up the laundry list of stuff I took way too long to figure out:

    • That green thing spawns where you die and contains all your souls, go get it
    • Shields can block 100% of boss hits if you have enough stamina
    • Humanity refers to three different things because we love confusion:
    1. whether you look creepy or not. If not you can be invaded/invade and summonded/summon. It is irreversibly lost upon death
    2. The number at the top left. It can be burned at bonfires to acquire #1 and is lost upon death but can be recovered in the bloodstain.
    3. The item in your inventory, use to full heal and aquire #2, unlosable.

    So that's my first impression - sorry if it's a bit long. What's yours ?

    submitted by /u/FlyAlpha24
    [link] [comments]

    Way to nito golden fog wtf?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 02:39 AM PDT

    So im before nito but i cant enter further cause there is a golden fog?

    what i have to do now?

    http://puu.sh/Gsb1u/37ed0f0fd4.jpg

    submitted by /u/xNashy
    [link] [comments]

    Completely overwhelmed

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 12:12 AM PDT

    I recently started playing the game. Incredible experience, I have no words, ( I just defeated queelag and am looking forward to all of the game), but I have a little problem. Was anyone else overwhelmed by the game in their first playthrough? I tried to go blind, but I didnt even knew souls were used to level up until after an embarrasing amount of time, so I wasted a lot by dying. I also didnt choose character properly, since I chose the ring that does nothing. I keep thinking I understand the game, but then I got books of pyromancy that U dint know why or what to use them for, I also dont know what stats to level up, and, worse of all, I played a little jkingly at first and thought it would be funny to kill everyone in sight... I dint have andre, a lot of missing traders, and that guy of the sun that everyone loves is dead too. There is also apparently another cutscene for sif if you rescue him on a dlc thats now in base game of remastered, but I dint know where tf is that, or who is astoria aaaaaaaa. Can anyine give me some guidance haha?

    submitted by /u/Lizzardbe
    [link] [comments]

    Catacombs is so fun!

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 06:44 PM PDT

    Love when I drop down can't move for five seconds then get spammed rolled by 7 pinwheels and constantly staggered!! This company is really good!!

    submitted by /u/shaco0netrick
    [link] [comments]

    My SL1 run ended early.

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    I started my first SL1 run today! Made it to the undead parish, no problem, but then... the Black Knight dropped the Greatsword.

    So, my SL1 run is now canceled and the BKGS is my best friend.

    submitted by /u/ythu_torque
    [link] [comments]

    Dinossindgeil is on the final game on The God Run (5 soulsborne games hitless back to back)

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    Is the Zweihander a good weapon to use for the whole game?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 01:34 AM PDT

    Dark souls remastered bleed build

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 12:05 AM PDT

    I started playing ds remastered with my boyfriend and i wanna go for a bleed build, i wonder if someone knows for a good early weapon we just defeated the gargoyles

    submitted by /u/Narrow-Hope-6617
    [link] [comments]

    Getting to nito

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 08:07 PM PDT

    There are so many skeletons trying to get there and then when I finally get past the skeletons there's like a bunch of pinwheels JDJSJDJSJ

    submitted by /u/TheIdiotOnYoutube
    [link] [comments]

    In need of a duping buddy (PS4)

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 03:38 AM PDT

    I need someone to help me dupe some items and make a few builds. Im willing to help you out in return. Thank you `|T|/

    submitted by /u/Extra_Big_Chungus
    [link] [comments]

    Rant/opinion: Bonefire should be next to the boss fight.

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 03:37 AM PDT

    I do enjoy the game allot, but this one thing is really annoying, why would they put pointless running into the game? Especially in a game where you are supposed to learn attacks of the boss so you are likely to die on a first try or first few tries. It doesn't add any difficulty to the game it is just tedious. When I get to the boss I want to fight boss, this system discourages any experimenting since I don't want to end up running back again.

    With fireplace next to every boss game would be much more enjoyable without affecting the challenge. Isn't that what the game should aim at in general? I don't get why they wouldn't do it, seems like such an obvious easy improvement to the game.

    submitted by /u/batose
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment