• Breaking News

    Friday, June 19, 2020

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Fashion Friday.

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Fashion Friday.


    /r/DarkSouls2 - Fashion Friday.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 11:10 PM PDT

    What does your current PvP character look like? If your character has a back story to go with their personal fashion statement we'd like to hear that, too!

    Don't forget to check out /r/fashionsouls for all of your fashion needs.


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls2/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    It's taken 5 years, but I finally came back to beat Scholar of the First Sin... I'm pretty speechless.

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 10:04 AM PDT

    I've played a lot of Dark Souls. I've 100% completed every game from Demon's Souls to Sekiro, and for a long time I'll admit Dark Souls 2 was my least favorite of them all. It was to the point where I thought I'd never go back to it, despite replaying all the others so many times... but I finally decided that I'd never really forgive myself if I didn't beat the DS2 DLC and get the SOTFS alternate ending. I had ALWAYS wanted a dark ending in this game, and today, I finally got it.

    I never really played with Powerstance on my 100% playthrough, so this time I decided to dual wield Greatswords (eventually switching to a set of Red/Blue Smelter Swords, which were awesome). I named my character Goots. He was bright red, had a big nose, and even bigger swords. I was ready.

    I spent a VERY long time getting used to the game. I have to say it still plays very different from the other Souls games. The controls, stats (looking at you ADP), lifestone meta, and general gameplay just have a different feel to them. I can't say whether this makes the game better or worse, only different. I fought my way through the entire early segment of the game, taking out all four great souls without too much trouble, and then I made it to the point where I usually quit on any attempted replay... Drangleic Castle. This time I wasn't giving up though. I crossed the bridge, made my way past the living statues, ruin sentinels, and dragonriders, and defeated the Mirror Knight. Next up were the Shrine of Amana and Undead Crypt... areas that I remembered hating so much the last time I went through them... but they weren't all that bad really. Maybe all that gitting gud over the years was finally paying off?

    At this point I had the King's Ring and was ready to take on the DLC. I went out and gathered all three key items and unlocked all three areas, and I began my descent into some of the most difficult areas I've ever encountered.

    I went first into the slumbering city. I found a queen and her dragon, and I killed them both. I found a cave and got ganked, but I ganked them back.

    I went next into the tower of flame. I found a familiar demon and a knight with a sword even bigger than mine, but they stood no chance.

    I finally went to a frozen wasteland. I found an eye to grant me sight (Wilhelm would be proud), slayed the royal pets, and conquered the Old Chaos.

    After all of this, I realized I needed one thing to take on the final challenge: The Ashen Mist Heart. I continued my journey in the main story, all the way up to the Ancient Dragon. I gathered the heart, went and completed the giant memories, and even went to the Memory of the King to claim my crown. At this point I was ready for one last challenge: Sir Allone. This was such an awesome fight, and I'm glad I saved it for last. Between him and Fume Knight I'd have trouble saying which I really enjoyed more, but that whole area was pretty much perfect. With that, I claimed the final shard of the Queen's soul, and found my journey at an end.

    I went back to the castle that gave me so much trouble in the past. I opened the final door, and entered the kiln. I destroyed the guardians, denied the Queen her throne, and beat the crap out of a pile of twigs. And with that, I got my alternate ending. The Dark ending is usually my favorite in these games, and this one was no different. I had waited years for this moment, and it was worth it. The moment those fires went out I got a huge smile across my face. The Dark Lord of Hollows has returned.

    This experience was worth every second, even though it took a LONG FREAKING TIME to achieve... I'm glad I came back to beat this game again, once and for all.

    submitted by /u/echolog
    [link] [comments]

    I killed the Ancient Dragon five times. FIVE. I'm in so much pain

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    I recently beat Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (having never played the original release version), and despite some gripes with it, I enjoyed my time. I built my favorite souls character ever, fell in love with the Moonlight Greatsword, and conquered some of the series's best bosses in the DLCs. But this game emotionally damaged me for reasons that are my own hilarious fault.

    Though I liked DS2 a lot, I knew I wasn't going to play it all over again any time soon, unlike with DS1 and Bloodborne. So, I made it my goal to beat Dark Souls 2 with the king's blessing and Aldia as my final boss. All I knew for how to do this was to beat the DLCs (for the blessing), and kill Vendrick before Nashandra (for the Aldia fight). Well... I kinda didn't realize a very important detail: if you respawn Vendrick with a bonfire ascetic, you cannot perform functions in the game world that rely on you having killed him; he must still be dead, not just killed by the player at least once. You know where this is going: I respawned Vendrick about four times so I could farm Velstadt (one of my more favored bosses) for souls, completely neglecting the prospect of killing Vendrick again because I didn't like his fight nearly as much and I had already consumed the giant souls. I thought "I've killed him already, respawning isn't a story element, that shouldn't affect the storyline, right?".

    So, you can imagine the mental crisis and wave of regret I was flooded with when I was made aware of the door in shrine of Amana you have to go through to get the king's blessing... Which only opens is Vendrick is dead. My heart has never sunk deeper during a playthrough of these games, and this made me put into question whether I would even get to have my confrontation with Aldia if these parameters worked the same way. So, literally right at the cusp of finishing the game and ready to enter the Throne of Want at any moment, I did what any insane person would do: get the blessing and fight Aldia anyways. How? By killing this NG+4 Vendrick with my first playthrough character, in order to do so having to battle the Ancient Dragon five times for as many giant souls as I could muster. I didn't even want to fight that fucking dragon, I knew the fight was hated by a decent amount of players, but I had to subject myself to it to get the souls again; they don't respawn with ascetics in the memories. This technically means I've killed the Ancient Dragon five times on increasing difficulty each time, on a single playthrough, within the same sleepless night of playtime. Then, after all of this, still having to taking on a NG+4 Vendrick who could easily one shot me.

    Holy fuck. This game is great. But I will never be able to touch it again after what I've been through because of my mistakes. It's too much pain. All I see are countless wasted minutes of my life running from the Ancient Dragon's repeated flying breath attack. The ending credits felt so good, knowing all I went through, but I can't do it again. Stay safe friends, don't you dare go Hollow.

    submitted by /u/Wildebur
    [link] [comments]

    Question for all of you who finished the game without using ranged weapons, ranged spells or bombs...

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 09:45 AM PDT

    How did you deal with that fat fuck blocking the way and destroying your equipement at the shrine of amana? I personally used a bow 'cause fuck it but I heard some of you were more purist and refused to use ranged stuff to kill annoying ennemies, what's your trick? I'm really just curious lol

    submitted by /u/mr_gord0
    [link] [comments]

    DS2 is anything but “hard but fair”

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    I know this post is going to get downvoted because that's just what happens if you criticise a game on its sub, but if you are going to downvote me, please at least explain to me why you disagree with what I'm saying.

    I started dark souls 2, after having beat dsr and ds3, and I had heard that most people didn't like the game as much as the others in the series, so I was expecting some flaws, but anyways, when I got to one of the fog walls in a place called the forest of giants or something, I try to go through the fog wall, and while the extremely long animation is happening, a mob comes up behind me, starts hitting me, cancels the animation, and stun locks me against the fog wall and kills me. I don't understand why there isn't i frames going through fog walls, so that's my first complaint.

    So next I get to the boss, and it's easier than the mobs! That's not really a complaint about the boss as it's the first boss obviously it's going to be easy. It's more of a complaint about the mobs, which feel unbalanced for early game. I actually really liked the boss. My only complaint was the questionable hit box, but it didn't matter too much. So when I'm done with the boss, I was on my inventory screen, still in the boss room. And one of the mob enemies comes up and kills me! Why can they just waltz into boss rooms!? Seriously!?

    After that I went to the area that dragon rider is in, went through that, not too much complaint. Good boss once again, just suffered the same hit box issues that the last giant did, a bit more severe this time though, I would be beside him and his axe would hit me when he attacked forward. Still a good boss though so not too much complaint. That's as far as I've gotten in the game so far.

    I take my hat off to you if you read this entire spiel, and once again, i would really appreciate it if instead of just leaving a dislike, somebody could explain to me how this is at all fair.

    Edit: just adding this because some people have interpreted this as me saying that it should be like 1 and 3. I don't think it needs to be the same I just want it to be fair.

    submitted by /u/BhCtqclsm
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone willing to help?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    I'm struggling with the ruin sentinels fight. Anyone willing to help, who is in the way of blue covenant (covenant of the Meek) will be welcome to place a summon sign in front of the dropdown to Yahim as soon as possible. My nickmame is Rabarboras. Thanks.

    Edit: forgot to add I'm on pc

    submitted by /u/TheMantasMan
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone tried using "Dark Souls II (SOTFS) Deadzone Fix"?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 12:06 PM PDT

    I've found out about this tool recently, but I haven't tried it yet because I don't have the game installed.

    Has anyone tried it? I hated the movement in DS2, so this might be a way to finally fix it.

    submitted by /u/Doneos
    [link] [comments]

    Umbral Dagger

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 12:00 PM PDT

    Is the Umbral Dagger any good? I don't even remember where I got it, I just found it in my item box and was like, "what's this? I don't remember getting this."

    submitted by /u/masterninja3402
    [link] [comments]

    I beat ds2 for the first time and was wondering what to make with the souls below

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 11:18 AM PDT

    Nashandra's soul Throne watcher, and throne defender souls

    submitted by /u/soundtrack101
    [link] [comments]

    As a lefty, I freaking loved DS2's full offhand weapon movelist

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 09:58 PM PDT

    It's one of the reasons why this game is still probably my favourite in the soulsbourne series, or maybe I love it just as much as bloodborne I don't know. But actually having proper L1 and L2 attacks for anything that you put in your offhand really made this game stand above the rest. I know it's such a small thing to fanboy over, but it just made the game feel so natural to me. I know it does some reduced damage, (which I definitely didn't care about) and you couldn't parry/riposte, (which wasn't a big deal for me since I just kept a dagger in one of my right hand slots) but it was still awesome getting to play the game in a way you almost never experience in a video game.

    Dark Souls 1 didn't have this feature, but it was an older game and something I never expected anyways so whatever, fantastic game.

    But when it came to Dark Souls 3, I expected the full offhand moveset to stay, even if power stance was gonna be replaced, and damn my disappointment was immeasurable when the L2 button once again became a brain dead 'block' move.

    I really wish they'd bring that feature back for future soulsborne games, but they probably won't I guess.

    Still, I'm glad Dark Souls 2 exists.

    submitted by /u/AngryBreadRevolution
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls quiz

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    I'm making a quiz for those who have the extensive knowlege of the Dark Souls games. It's only of the Dark Souls games(all three)

    1.-Who can you summon the most?(npc)

    2.-Who are the three Holders of the Hawk Ring?

    3.-Name a confirmed left handed character

    4.-Where was the Black Firebomb developed?

    5.-How many years for someone to pass Sens Fortress?

    6.-How many years for someone to retrieve the Lordvessel?

    7.-Which are the pillars of Lothric?

    8.-Who ivades you the most?(npc)

    submitted by /u/UsingHat
    [link] [comments]

    I'm preparing for the Sir alonne fight.

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 11:03 AM PDT

    Any tips for his corpse run?

    submitted by /u/FrenchFryFiend3
    [link] [comments]

    Sir alonne tips?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 10:19 AM PDT

    Just beat fume Knight and really want the sir alonne katana and it has been really hard for me to kill him, I don't even do damage, anybody has tips, weapons or rings that can make easier to kill him

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/Half-Tomatoes
    [link] [comments]

    Came back to DS2, liked it a bit less than I remembered.

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 06:47 AM PDT

    So I thought I'd share my awfully contrarian viewpoint, just to provide a bit of contrast on the sub. Please don't murder me haha.

    DS2 was the first souls game I finished (I played some of 1 in the lead up to release and jumped onto 2 as soon as it came out). I was a huuuuuge stan for this game back when it came out. I swore up and down it was better than 1 + 3, that the flack it got was undeserved, etc. I still have a lot of fondness for the game, there's something very special about playing a souls game at release that I won't forget, but after replaying 1 and 3 and coming back to my favorite to cap it off... I think DS2 is actually the worst of the 3. It's still a good game but there are so many things that bugged me this time around that I never noticed before.

    The bosses are definitely a big part of it. While I still think 2 has some of the best bosses (Fume Knight, Ivory King, Sir Allonne) it also has a ton of filler bosses that are pretty boring to fight (Royal Rats, Skeleton Lords, Prowling Magus, Covetus, Ancient Dragon) and a lot of bosses that I had found memorable on my first playthrough, seemed kind of dull this go around: (Mirror Knight, Demon of Song, Nashandra, Freja, Mytha, Rotten, Iron King).

    I think it also doesn't help that it's now kind of the worst-looking souls game, since the remaster of 1. There's also a lot of stiffness to certain things that I didn't remember. Attacking feels a lot less fluid than in 3, you can't double sip estus. Small stuff but it added up.

    The level design also doesn't feel quite as integrated into the world design as 1+3 is. The level geometry feels more transparently gamey, making the levels feel more like, well, levels than real places. I think people's perception of that will probably vary widely, but I do think 1 and 3 do a better job of making the places feel real.

    There were some bright spots though: I think the DLC is probably still the best in the series, particularly the Crown of the Iron King. I also wasn't bothered by the hub-and-spoke layout of the world that some people complained about, and I think a lot of the NPCs are pretty memorable. The weapon and build variety is pretty great still (I think i might have been more positive if I'd PVP'd more this go around, i had a great time with that back at release) and I'll always love powerstancing.

    Overall, I still have a lot of affection for DS2, and it's still the game I'm most nostalgic for, but after giving the trilogy a revisit, I've come around to the majority opinion that it's just not quite as good as 1 or 3.

    submitted by /u/HollywooStarsNCelebs
    [link] [comments]

    Found out something

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    Found that if you repeatedly press the use item button, you can chug estus multiple times in one animation. Don't know how I didn't find that out until my tenth playthrough.

    submitted by /u/masterninja3402
    [link] [comments]

    Craftsman Hammer vs Mace on Faith/Strength hybrid

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 01:49 PM PDT

    I'm doing my first run through SoftS and following beating Darklurker and getting the Dragon Chime, I decided to respec my pure Strength character into a Faith/Stength hybrid. (I'm currently in the Undead Crypt, and don't have the Defender Sword yet, which everyone swears by on Faith builds.)

    Anyway, I'm thinking about imbuing a Strike weapon with Lightning to take advantage of my 50 Faith I speced into.

    So the question is, a fully upgraded Craftsman Hammer vs a fully upgraded Mace, is the Hammer strictly better because both have have B Strength rating when imbued with Lightning, but the Hammer has higher AR (and range). Do I have that right?

    I'm also curious how does Sunlight Blade work in terms of budding a Lightning weapon. Does that matter at all in terms of my decision?

    submitted by /u/Vann_Accessible
    [link] [comments]

    Ornstein

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 01:11 PM PDT

    Is it just me, or is the hardest part of Ornstein's fight avoiding that first attack?

    submitted by /u/masterninja3402
    [link] [comments]

    Who was the lead designer for the crown of the iron king dlc? I’d just like a friendly chat

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 06:52 AM PDT

    Tilted as fuck.

    submitted by /u/CompleteBrit
    [link] [comments]

    What does "tending to the flame" and "corporeal manifestation of the bonfire" actually mean?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 04:05 AM PDT

    Question about the arena

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 08:48 AM PDT

    I'm at sl 95, soul memory 775489 and I feel like everyone does way more damage than me. I can usually hit for a small fraction of their healthbar with my blacksmith hammer (37 str, +7) while they take a third of mine with rapiers. Am I doing something wrong?

    submitted by /u/xXCunt_DestroyerXx
    [link] [comments]

    So I have a question about how many times do I have to kill enemies for them to not respawn? And if I die does it count?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    • it should be: I have a question. how many times do I need to kill enemies before they dont respawn
    submitted by /u/FrenchFryFiend3
    [link] [comments]

    DLC on Ps3

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 08:37 AM PDT

    I bought the base PS3 version of Dark Souls 2 a good while ago, about two years. I only recently decided I'd cash in and buy the DLC, and checked the PS3 store. I only found a listing for the SOTFS edition, and no solitary DLC. Thinking that was weird, I googled it, and found a listing for a DLC pack, with all three crowns, for the PS3 base edition on the official PlayStation Store website.

    I heard that there's no way to get DLC on the base game, but is there any way to do so? I really don't want to have to buy another disc. If there is no way, is it possible to put my saves from the base game onto the SOTFS disc if I buy it?

    submitted by /u/Keermar
    [link] [comments]

    Sunken King DLC question

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 09:23 AM PDT

    I've been playing this dlc for a couple of hours and the only boss I've found is The squalid queen. She's pretty tough, I guess. But where's the crown and also, am I playing this dlc wrong?

    submitted by /u/plastic-watering-can
    [link] [comments]

    Need Advice for a... I honestly don't know what to call this- Semi Flagellant Build?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 09:03 PM PDT

    So here's an idea that just popped in my head, and considering I'm not the best at avoiding death in Dark Souls 2, I want to make a build that actually focuses on making you stronger the closer you are death. Items like the blue/red tearstone rings may come to mind for most people as it gives you a boost when you're nearly dead, but I find that you have to be ridiculously close to death's door for their effects to go off. I want to be able to profit off this build without needing to be an inch from death. At least give me a good foot or yard.

    Now some might refer to this build as a Flagellant Build, but that implies you hurt yourself to get the boost. I want a build that once you start getting hurt by the enemy, it boosts you for being harmed, and while you're playing risk with dying, it is being near death that makes you reach peak power.

    I've NEVER tried a build like this, so I have no idea on what weapons/armors/rings or spells I can use to do this. And I don't mind having to cast spells that result in hurting me or slowly pull me closer to Death's door in order to receive a boost. Like Immolation would be useful against CQC and it'd bring me closer to death already, so I'd just be getting stronger.
    Samuel Hayden: The longer he remains on fire, the stronger he will become (x10).

    So, any advice out there for a build like this is much appreciated. It sounds on paper like a lot of fun, but I wanna know if it's even possible.

    submitted by /u/Rexlare
    [link] [comments]

    I don't know where to go, help

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 06:37 AM PDT

    So I bought DS2 SOTFS some month ago and I thought I was doing reasonably good. But after a certain point I couldn't reach any new areas so I decided to stop playing the game for a while.

    Now I still want to continue it (also because I have DS3 but I never opened it because I want to finish the second first) but I didn't touch the game in months and I don't remember when I was and what I did.

    Can you help me continue the game? These are the areas that I unlocked: https://imgur.com/a/dfzhjVC

    If you need any more information I will try to provide it.

    submitted by /u/Flat-is-just_ice
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment