• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 11, 2020

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Help a hollow.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Help a hollow.


    /r/DarkSouls - Help a hollow.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 11:08 PM PDT

    Welcome to our Wednesday thru Thursday sticky thread "Help A Hollow."

    Do you need the game mechanics explained a bit? Don't understand scaling, infusion, or magic? Just can't take on O&S solo?

    If you have a question or need a hand then skip /new for the day and get the help you need. Leave a comment below and someone will help you shortly. Or sort comments by new and be a helpful hollow. Remember to check out /r/DarkSouls/wiki and contribute!


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    An ode to the Zweihander

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 02:30 PM PDT

    One night late, scrolling through YouTube I see "Giant Dad Easy Mode" and I said dude, "The Zweihander can't be all that great". So I turned on the switch and started a new game, "Let's give this a go, see why the sword has such fame". I quickly killed the thicc boi and arrived at Firelink I greeted the crestfallen and suggested a shrink I ran past the skellies and acquired the sweet loot The bone bois were still after me though so I had to scoot. A few minutes later I was on the drakes bridge Time to farm souls, used the drake sword, git gud kids. Finally my strength had reached twenty four, It was time for giant dad to shine some more. With some titanite shards I paid Andre a visit He suggested to power up my sword, and I did it. Back to the cathedral I went, to test my new might To see the Zwei in action was indeed a great sight. The hollows got slammed and the gargoyles fell Even Solaire saw my damage and said "Bloody Hell" Now I'm on my way to fight Cappy boi I have a feeling he'll be my new play toy. So now I tell all my friends, "Hey take a gander, At my sword that one shots all, the mighty Zweihander."

    submitted by /u/downwithlordofcinder
    [link] [comments]

    I just killed O and S using a bow!

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 11:13 AM PDT

    In nearly a decade I can finally see why people consider dark souls to be the greatest game ever made

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 11:12 PM PDT

    9 years ago I played dark souls for the first time. Only got up to undead parish because the game was too hard so I quit it and avoided it for many years. But what finally got me to give this game a second chance was its lore. After reading on this games lore for months and months thinking to myself that dark souls might have the best lore in a game ever, I finally decided to play it again.

    After days of playing I beat the game and I have to say, I agree that dark souls is the best game ever and its world, lore, atmosphere and combat sucked me in like no game ever could. I loved nearly everything about this game. Since then I completed the game several times and eventually moved on to complete the rest of the games like dark souls 3, dark souls 2, bloodborne, sekiro and demons souls all of which are fantastic.

    Even after completing the series I still keep finding myself coming back to play dark souls again because I just want to get into the games grim world, atmosphere and amazing lore and environment over and over. All in all this game is an absolute masterpiece and I cant believe it took me this long to finally experience this games greatness.

    submitted by /u/Sdrrfdse
    [link] [comments]

    The Dark Soul at last

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 01:08 PM PDT

    2 years ago, I made my first post here as I began my journey in Lordran. Last night I finally collected the final trophy in DS:R. I finally finished the journey.

    submitted by /u/KrimsonNekros
    [link] [comments]

    Holy shit. I just beat Artorias and this fight was way better than the 4 main guys

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 02:15 PM PDT

    After beating the 4 major bosses, I wanted to get through with the extra content, so I decided to do the DLC first, and am currently playing through it.

    The 4 main bosses weren't very disappointing, but I sure as hell don't find them near as memorable as the earlier fights in Dark Souls. Whether it was O&S, Bell Gargoyles, Gaping Dragon etc. - they felt memorable af because of their unique fight style, difficulty, visual design etc.

    As I went through the 4 main bosses, even though they were very unique to each other - they didn't give the same breeze of a fight as O&S did.

    Four Kings is a DPS check.

    Nito is kinda cheapened by the replenishing minions.

    Bed of Chaos was meh

    Seath I beat on first try with not much of a challenge

    After this, I've fought the 2 DLC bosses and both have been great fights. I have been using an Uchi +15. I fought him 2 handing the Uchi itself with no shield on, and very light armor on. I like a fast playstyle where I dodge every hit my opponent does instead of tanking it - so this was very enjoyable to me. I have the Wood grain ring so it felt like Oberyn fighting the Mountain or something. But a way faster one.

    The fight felt so elegant, like a dance. Waiting for Artorias to perform his moves, chipping one hit as soon as an opportunity presented itself, and then rolling away. He becomes more and more challenging through the fight as well, which made me rage a lot due to dying after I almost beat him. The fight kept me on my toes the whole time, only giving me time to consume Estus when Artorias himself was recharging. But damn does it feel great in the end. Wish there were more fights like these. Testing timing and reflexes to the highest. I hope there are, counting in I got 2 more games to play, 5 if I count Bloodborne and Sekiro.

    I read in a comment somewhere that Artorias has some important lore too. I'll have to look that up as well. This fight is probably praised by the community already, but which one do you guys prefer more - this or O&S? I struggled more on O&S TBH and that is a very memorable fight, but due to it being a 1v1 with someone kind of my size - I prefer it. But hell, an opinion may change in NG+

    submitted by /u/SiRaymando
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think estus tastes like

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 12:27 AM PDT

    My guess is malort mixed with sunny D

    submitted by /u/TopherGrace78
    [link] [comments]

    TIL The Hydra in Ash Lake will fly (and strafe water beams) over you if you try to run past it.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    I've been playing this game a very long time and apparently have never tried to run past the hydra in Ash Lake without killing him. The surprise was incredible. I laughed and screamed! After playing this game so long.. knowing where every enemy is.. knowing the maps like the back of my hand, for there to still be surprises speaks to the masterpiece of this game.

    He will also follow you for a very long time and it becomes really intense if you are just trying to run through and get the bonfire (like I was).

    submitted by /u/samsjayhawk
    [link] [comments]

    finally killed Seath the scaless

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    i finally killed Seath the scaless!!

    submitted by /u/F_r3
    [link] [comments]

    Why does the Giant Blacksmith have Gough’s Hawk Ring?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 11:30 AM PDT

    Not sure if it's been discussed anywhere (if so I couldn't find it) but this kinda confused me when I was telling a friend about the 4 knights of Gwyn lore and the question "is the blacksmith Gough?" came up. My thoughts and question is was the blacksmith a friend to Gough (and crafter of the rings) so he gave it to him? That's the only thing I could think of, but please discuss or point out any sources. Thanks [T]/

    submitted by /u/thepundisher1223
    [link] [comments]

    Coming from Bloodborne, tips?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 03:33 AM PDT

    As a long time Souls series hater, my friends recommended Bloodborne, which I fell in love with. I now LOVE the Souls games, but I find playing them...slightly frustrating despite being able to breeze through Bloodborne, which is all on me, so I would like to know, do you guys have any big tips for Dark Souls 1-3?

    Edit: To Clarify, I've chugged through to the point where I can fight Nameless King and Oceiros.

    submitted by /u/HunterPunter560
    [link] [comments]

    Lessons learned from beating Artorias of the Abyss (Dark Souls Remastered)

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    After probably 80 attempts, I finally beat Artorias. Before my insights fade away, I thought I should share them with other frustrated Dark Souls players.

    There are good reasons Artorias is considered one of the toughest boss battles in the entire Dark Souls series. He hits REALLY hard; he moves REALLY fast; his weapon has serious reach; he has pretty high HP (3750) and pretty high resistance, so it will take a while to wear him down; and he is over-the-top aggressive.

    I will also say upfront, my magic build SUCKED for this fight. Even with ~50 intelligence, I just didn't do much damage to him with the fast cast spells, and he moved too quickly to get off slow spells before I got punished. As a result, I had to pivot to a fighter approach. Thankfully, I had the Moonlight Sword which on paper does roughly 450 magic damage - although actual damage was closer to ~90 per one-handed hit. I did have good vitality and stamina (31 each) - which also really helped. I don't know how you could beat him with low vitality or stamina. There are so many times where you need to roll, attack, roll away (or block), and late game/post transformation - the hits really hurt with only a few opportunities to recover.

    Before you enter the fight, I recommend:

    • Make sure you can medium roll. You need armor because you will get hit, but if you're slow - you'll get killed.
    • Bring a shield with 100% physical damage
    • The most useful rings are stamina recovery, enhanced rolling, and enhanced physical defense. Also Havel's ring is useful if weight is a problem.
    • Use your hardest hitting weapon.
    • Kindle the nearest bonfire to 20 estus. You can run through them like water fighting him. (That being said, I used only 4 when I finally beat him - but there were a few times I ran out near the end and got killed)

    As for the fight itself, here are my best tips:

    • BE AGGRESSIVE. Take the fight to him. I did my best when I was barely out of reach of his sword - circling left with my shield up. Along those lines, don't be afraid to trade blows. You will get hit a bunch in this fight. At least get a hit or two in.
    • GO AGGRESSIVE AND HIT HIM WITH EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT WHEN HE STARTS THE PROCESS OF THE AoE EXPLOSION. First off, these are free hits, and it's worth it even if you get hit by the explosion. More importantly, you can stun him and prevent the explosion. The reason this is a BIG deal is that post-explosion, he becomes over-the-top aggressive and his hits REALLY hurt. By preventing the explosion, he doesn't make this transformation. This is another reason to stay close to him - so that it's hard for him to roll away.
    • MASTER THE SWITCH BETWEEN 2 HANDED AND 1 HANDED. When windows open to do damage, go two-handed. You need to get in as much damage as possible. Moreover, there are some moves where dodging is the best (and only) tactic - so why keep your shield?
    • DODGE LATE. He has high tracking, so wait until the last minute. Also, normally the best action is dodging forward and right. This way, you get behind him and can get at least a hit in.
    • 2 HANDED IS BEST if he is doing his jump or somersault combo. If you have the misfortune of getting hit and flattened, the shield is on your back, so if he does a triple attack, your shield takes a chunk of the damage for attacks 2 & 3.
    • LIMIT ESTUS FLASKS TO IMMEDIATELY AFTER HE ROLLS AWAY FROM YOU OR AFTER HIS CHARGE - AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR SHIELD IN ONE HAND. Along those lines, try to be more than a sword length away from you. There were many times where my Estus flask was pointless because I got hit - so my HPs stay the same or went down. He will immediately attack when your start the Estus flask animation. However, if you're more than a sword length away, you may not get hit.
    • MY FAVORITE TIMES TO ATTACK WERE AFTER THE SAVAGE LEAPING STRIKE AND STABBING CHARGE. I would roll through these and then do one or two two-handed attacks.
    • ACCEPT THAT YOU WILL GET HIT. He sometimes does a 720 degree swing, and I would get hit by that on the sword's 2nd rotation if I rolled through it - but at least I would get a hit or two in too. He also has this irritation spin and jump attack if you're behind him. It's super-fast with no obvious tells. I got tagged by that sooo many times. Late game - when he is oozing darkness - it really sucks because the hit is really hard and would knock me to the ground.

    Anyway, I hope this is helpful!

    submitted by /u/SmartInvestor07
    [link] [comments]

    My non-Souls friend just Git Gud-ed me

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 01:54 AM PDT

    There's this roguelike game called Hades, and I died twice on the first boss, I was frustrated because I beat the boss on my first try without problems, and she (who has done more progress than me) just told me to "Git Gud"

    Now I am the "Souls-guy" in my group of friends and I am the one that buts in out of nowhere with Soulsborne stuff without being asked, so this was surprising : /

    Also, she never showed any interests in Soulsborne, save for when she sees a Soulsborne art video she thinks I'd find cool (I do)

    I'm in one of those "wait, did that really just happen?" moments of shock

    submitted by /u/wwttabltwrk
    [link] [comments]

    Rescuing laurentius and opening the gaping dragon door in two minutes.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    https://youtu.be/7_onX8BJkME

    I broke my old record. I accidentally discovered a way to open the gaping dragon door when I was rescuing Laurentius in ng+. Not sure how useful this is, but if you ever wanted to rescue Laurentius, grab the large ember and face the gaping dragon without fighting capra Demon, you could definitely do it. Keep in mind, you'd need the master key to open the door to the bonfire just up the stairs, and once you rest in there, the only way out is defeating gaping dragon.

    I wonder if this would be useful at all for a speedrun of some type.

    submitted by /u/LukeNew
    [link] [comments]

    Solar is a derp

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 04:43 AM PDT

    So I was going to kill O & S and I went to summon solar as usual and I was going to try to kill them as udual, but then when I went into the bossroom with full confidence solar never entered, he just stood there outside the fog door all by himself he didn't even die he just stayed out there. He may be a great and my most favorite npc ever, but sometimes he can be a derp.

    submitted by /u/deadangel777777
    [link] [comments]

    Lorewise Chosen Undead

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 04:33 AM PDT

    In the official propaganda of the game normally we see the Chosen Undead dressed in the Elite Knight Armor set together with the sword of Astora, the same kingdom of Solaire. In the DS3 the Soul of Cinder the boss too are dressed with the Elite Armor Set, but burned. Lorewise canon would be the Chosen Undead a paladin?

    submitted by /u/Straidus
    [link] [comments]

    Is there an equivalent to Ring of the Dead from Dark Souls 2? Or am i just stuck looking like a literal pile of shit unless i waste Humanity?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 12:48 AM PDT

    Aesthetically speaking, hollowing sucks. I look like i spent too much time in the damn oven, and it kills my Fashion Souls vibe. Any help?

    submitted by /u/AshenRathian
    [link] [comments]

    Solaire should be a god or at least a royal guard

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 10:08 PM PDT

    The man pretty much was one hit away from killing orenstien BY HIMSELF.

    I just killed smough faster.

    It's like...solaire made that terrefying 2v1 into something rather mangable lmao.

    submitted by /u/Mr-kabuk
    [link] [comments]

    Do you guys know youtubers that dissect games as well as the dark souls youtubers do?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 08:33 PM PDT

    I mean, they're not perfect but whenever i see a dark souls video I usually enjoy it a lot, and I know that part of that is due to dark souls being amazing games but regardless, people really put effort on their videos. Theories, things you didn't know, etc. I just recently was playing again castlevania lament of innocence (childhood game, don't judge) and i wanted something like that for this game. Since this is not a very popular game I didn't find what I wanted it (every video about it is also very old). So maybe there's another game franchise that I should try based on that very specific factor. What you guys got?

    submitted by /u/chidarengan
    [link] [comments]

    How do I relight firelink shrine

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 03:44 AM PDT

    I killed laurentius, but I used the fire keeper soul to upgrade my estus flask. Is there any way to revive her? I have another fire keeper soul in my inventory.

    submitted by /u/muffinator308
    [link] [comments]

    12 hours in - my thoughts so far

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 04:25 PM PDT

    It's been barely a week since I started playing this game, but I feel like I've somewhat gotten to know the game, given that the only prior knowledge I had about the game were that it has big fuck-off monsters and that it's fairly difficult.

    But there's way more to it. Granted, it's fame wouldn't make much sense otherwise, but I digress.

    I guess the thing I noticed most is that this game knows how to create an atmosphere. The games bosses are really intense, and left me completely exhausted, both mentally and emotionally, and the claustrophobia and paranoia in certain areas get so much worse when you know that there could be something that could very easily kill you lurking around every corner. It reminds me a lot of Hollow Knight, especially with their atmospheres being very similar.

    And there's stuff the game doesn't straight up tell you, like that heavy armor is pretty meh early on, since it makes your roll almost useless. I learned that the hard way, after hours of painstakingly trying to evade the Taurus Demon's attacks.

    Also, the game is centered around the undead. You never hear anything about that. Everyone always just talks about how hard Dark Souls is, that the rest of the game just kind of disappears in the background.

    So yeah, that's all I really have to say. I love the game for its challenges and atmosphere, and yet I hate it for the very same reasons. But I'll definitely continue playing for now.

    submitted by /u/Maaxorus
    [link] [comments]

    Killed pissed off Ornstein on my first playthrough

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 02:49 PM PDT

    Alright first of all I've never played any of them soulike games before and even tho I bought the game in 2016 it is the first time I am playing it (mostly because I am pissed off with current state of WoW) and I just fell in love with the game.

    Then I found out that Ornstein armor could be acquired by killing Smough first then an enraged version of Ornstein, and as a melee I have to say: even tho I got my ass kicked schooltime like, it was worth it.

    That's it, I just wanted to share this with ya cuz I've been lowprofile af on reddit but this /r community looks friendly enough so I can interact.

    sorry for my bad english btw and hi

    submitted by /u/imHati
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls Apocrypha - Short Comic I made back in 2017

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 06:19 PM PDT

    [Imgur Link](https://imgur.com/a/lTMLw)

    It was my first ever attempt at making a comic, figured it's worth sharing now.

    submitted by /u/Shadowfangs99
    [link] [comments]

    The Greatshield that carried me through the game.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    If there is an easy mod button for me for Dark Souls 1, it will be the Eagle Shield.

    - 6.0 Weight, which is just 1 weight heavier than the Silver Knight Shield, the arguably most balanced Medium Shield, 2 more than the Balder Shield (most stable 100% physical block Medium shield) and the same as the Black Knight Shield (highest fire block medium shield).

    - 95% physical block. This is perfectly serviceable for me against OnS, Astorias, Manus, Sanctuary Guardian, and Kalameet up to NG++ (that I've tried).

    - 16 STR req.

    - 84 Stability at +15, which is the same as Havel's Greatshield

    - Eagle Shield + Halberd/Zweihander + Havel's Rings + Dingy Set = fast roll with Greatshield, decent long and hard hitting weapon + pretty good magic + Lightning damage resistance. Best Fire and Magic resistant armours are light armours anyway.

    - Heavy Deflection. Some enemies attack will bounce off the shield and they are staggered. Very useful against the ever annoying Skeleton Dogs of Tombs of the Giants. Free hits!

    - By holding down block button, walking away, and strategically dropping shields down for stamina regen, you can tank nearly all physical damage bosses indefinitely and still retain the ability to quick roll. Some of the best elemental damage absorptions armours are light armours anyway, so you can always roll or tank a couple of hits. OnS is easy with the Eagle shield.

    - Swap out Black Knight Shield/Dragon Crest, Crest Shield for best fire and magic block and still retain the ability to roll.

    submitted by /u/SmirkingImperialist
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment