• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 23, 2020

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Salty Sunday.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Salty Sunday.


    /r/DarkSouls - Salty Sunday.

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 10:09 PM PST

    Today's Salty Sunday is brought to you by the Bed of Chaos

    Being Gravelorded in Anor Londo? Died to Bed Of Chaos for the 100th time? Checked your phone for a second, only to run off a cliff and lose your bloodstain?

    Grab a spoon and watch your blood pressure soar! All complaints are welcome here. Just keep things civil and follow the Posting Guidelines in the sidebar.


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    After four years, I finally completed Dark Souls

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:17 AM PST

    Not that anyone should care about another "I finally beat Dark Souls post" but I just wanted to share my story of completing the game as of yesterday morning and the road it took to get here. This got really long so kudos to those who end up reading it and I really thank you for your time. But really, it's just me saying that I took a long time to finally appreciate and complete this game. At one time, I was too afraid to take on this series so this feels like a big accomplishment for me.

    Going back a few years I never thought I would play a Soulsborne game in general. I was aware of their notorious difficulty and at that point in my life (mid-20s, working full-time, family, etc.) I didn't think I would have the time nor the patience to play them. However, my eye was always on Bloodborne. The more medieval approach to Dark Souls was never really a turn-on for me but I loved the gothic-Victorian setting of Bloodborne and the Lovecraft-themes had me gushing. But same thing, I was simply afraid to tackle it.

    Sometime in 2016, I took a shot at Dark Souls. It had been one of the free Games with Gold on X360 at one time so I had a digital copy of the game. It seemed like a long-shot because I had little time to game. My company was going through an acquisition and being in the accounting department I was working 60+ hours a week. Life was pretty miserable actually. After 30 minutes of getting wrecked by skeletons in the graveyard, I gave up. I decided I didn't have the time nor stress level to take on a game like Dark Souls. I turned the game off and moved on.

    Jumping to early 2018, life was better and I was gaming more frequently. As mentioned, Bloodborne was of interest to me and my desire to play it never really left. I picked up a copy during the Black Friday season before but left it alone for a few months. But randomly one day, I decided to take it on. I got my ass handed to me in the early areas of Yharnam over and over again. However, I stuck with it. I cannot describe the feeling I got from defeating the Cleric Beast for the first time. At that point I thought, "Holy shit. Maybe I can actually do this…" Over the course of several weekends, I managed to complete Bloodborne along with The Old Hunters and the chalice dungeons. I don't think I have every felt so accomplished as a gamer.

    Even after beating Bloodborne (and eventually getting Platinum), I was still weary of Dark Souls. While I loved every pain-staking minute of Bloodborne, the game caused me a great deal of anguish. Never have I thrown so many profanities and middle fingers at the TV. I wasn't sure I was ready to jump into another painful journey. Regardless, I tried taking on Dark Souls III. It was on sale at the time and I thought playing a more recent entry would make it more manageable in terms of controls and overall gameplay. Once again, Dark Souls handed my rear-end to me on a silver platter. I needed to play something a little more easy-going and after an hour or so of Dark Souls III, I shut it off and moved on.

    Jumping to early 2019, I was getting intrigued by the previews for Sekiro. It gave me the itch to revisit Bloodborne and once again, I tackled the entire game, DLC and chalice dungeons. It was glorious. By this point, I considered Bloodborne one of my all-time favorite games. Sekiro then came out and while I didn't immediately love it, I grew to adore the game. It was fast-paced, enriched an interesting story, and tougher than a mother fucker. After a couple of months of work, I gained all achievements on Sekiro. FromSoftware won me over again.

    Was it time again time to take on Dark Souls? I thought so and ended up getting the remastered version on Switch. Replaying Bloodborne and going through Sekiro, I think, made me a better Soulsborne player. While Dark Souls felt slower and more clunky, I was handling myself far better than I did the years prior. I made it to the bridge with the Hellkite Dragon but I then realized I was feeling burnt out. Having spent the last few months going through Bloodborne and Sekiro, I think I just needed a break. Once again, I put Dark Souls on the backburner.

    It's now 2020 and I've decided to make Bloodborne an annual event for myself. You guessed it; I replayed the game in its entirety and it was once again a glorious experience. Still feeling the hype of the game, I decided to give Dark Souls another shot. There's no other reason behind it except that I decided it was finally time. Like Sekiro, I didn't immediately love the game but over time, it hooked me it. I was invested in this world and I explored virtually every aspect of it. Yesterday morning, I took out Manus and then went right for Gwyn. Both died mercilessly at my hands and like my many Bloodborne runs before it, it was glorious.

    Finally completing Dark Souls after all this time is a huge accomplishment for me. I never thought I would ever complete this game. I was afraid and I didn't think I could get fully vested in it. It's been amazing and I look forward to playing it again someday. But now, I will turn my focus on to Dark Souls II which I just got a copy of Scholar of the First Sin. Afterwards, I will revisit Dark Souls III. I know I will hit bumps along the way, but nothing can stop me now. I also look forward to Elden Ring and perhaps will backtrack to Demon's Souls someday. These games are not the impossible task I thought they once were. They are a journey of patience and will.

    TL;DR – After years of avoiding Dark Souls, primarily due to fear, I finally completed the game and feel immensely accomplished. I look forward to Dark Souls II and III.

    submitted by /u/STABxWEST
    [link] [comments]

    A Sad Moment That Became a True Induction Into Dark Souls TRUE Fandom

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:24 PM PST

    A while back I posted in the DS3 subreddit that my son cleared DS3 when he was 7 years old. A year later, he beat DS2. I told him that I got DS Remastered for Nintendo Switch on my birthday 2 days ago and that made him want to play it on my Xbox One.

    I smiled like a proud dad and said, "Go right ahead, son..."

    He wanted me to watch, of course, so I sat and watched as he created a character, blew through the undead asylum, chatted up the crestfallen warrior, fight through the undead burg, and make his way to Solaire...

    That's where his first challenge arose. Hellkite dragon...

    And rats...

    He sprinted to the center of the bridge and drew a blank on how to get past the big, red, fire breathing winged lizard. He gave me this look of confusion and frustration until he remembered what I did when I played back when he was little. "Dad, didn't you..."

    Before he finished the question, he pulled out his short bow, aimed and shot at the dragon's tail! He sat there and shot over 100 arrows to no avail. His smile faded...

    I told him to go to his stat screen and look at his dexterity. He remembered that it has to be 12 to properly use it and his was 11. He promptly raised it to 12 and got his very own drake sword!

    Anyway, he decided to take the under bridge route to avoid being flame roasted, and ended up dying from being triple teamed by poisonous rats. He powered through the frustration and finally made it through the Undead Parish and onward to the Gargoyles. He lost the first try but DEMOLISHED those gargoyles on the second try.

    My little guy tore through the Capra demon (after like 4 tries), rushed through the depths...(he didn't care too much about all the items since he hates the depths) killed the gaping dragon after summoning an NPC...

    Then came Blighttown... he died over and over and over again until he put down his controller and disappeared into his room...

    Blighttown had momentarily broken him...

    I found him crying bedside in his room and I asked him what was wrong. "I keep dying in Blighttown!", he said with tears streaming down his face. I almost shed a tear too (because I hate when my son cries) but instead I put an arm around him and explained to him that I died a lot in blighttown too. I calmed him down and he was ready to play again. He wiped his tears and picked his controller up. With patience and determination, he made his way through both bonfires and to Quelaag's domain.

    We stopped after he was killed by a pyromancy invasion because I had to take him back to his mom's house.

    I'm sorry for the overly long story, I'm just proud of my boy for a fie hard fan of DS like his dad. I have no doubt that he will complete the game soon.

    submitted by /u/Facelessone83
    [link] [comments]

    My Luckiest Dark Souls Character

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 03:53 PM PST

    On my 6th play through of the game, I named my character after my wife in Skyrim, Ysolda. Ysolda is my first dex character so naturally the game wanted to give me every rare strength weapon drop. I got a black knight weapon (and a shield) from every black knight that I killed all the way up to the fifth black knight. This didn't seem too out of the ordinary because everyone knows that you always get the rare weapon drops that you specifically don't need for your build. I sped through the game with the uchi and then switched to the gold and dark silver tracers once I got to the DLC. At this point I wanted to finally try the balder side sword since I've heard about it so much but never played a dex character until now. After mentally preparing myself to farm balder knights for hours until I got the drop, I literally got the BSS from the first balder knight that I killed. I didn't even have the gold serpent ring on (although I did have 10 humanity). I think I'm gonna buy a lottery ticket tomorrow.

    submitted by /u/UnderprivilegedScan
    [link] [comments]

    Curating a playlist of all the classic dark souls vids, past and present. Let me know if I missed any!

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:41 PM PST

    F*ng Blighttown!

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 03:32 AM PST

    SO MAD! My second run Just killed the Gaping dargon and had 40K plus souls on me thought I'd run to the blight town bonfire and got pushed off the bridge by the fat bois Never should have underestimated this game... 🤬f*ing Blight Town!

    submitted by /u/AKJ828
    [link] [comments]

    Why did they change the blue eye orb in ds remastered?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 05:54 PM PST

    They honestly ruined what made DM special

    submitted by /u/Bazinga_Bourgeoisie
    [link] [comments]

    I made a Dark Souls PvP Compilation

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 10:32 PM PST

    I can’t beat this game...and I probably never f*****g will...

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 05:01 PM PST

    So, it's been 6 hours after I decided to pick up this game after about a year and a half after my last rage quit throwing my laptop across the room and the controller out the window... :)

    I basically have given up.

    There were one time out of 90 where I got Gwyn down to less than 10% and 3 times where it was less than a third.

    I'm packing a +10 Great Axe, 20 estus, no shield, baby parry, especially since my laptop has a delay.

    IMPORTANT Stats as a STR/DEX build:

    Lv. 71

    VIT: 27 END: 25 STR: 35 DEX:28 RES: 22

    HP: 1001 (abysmal) Equipment load is around 37-38% so as fast as I'll ever be rolling.

    R Weapon 1 (475)

    1-handed (right) deals 325 damage R2: 1.5x that

    2-handed (same) R2: (661 damage) HUGE considering my left hand is trash. This knocks down Gwyn 2 chunks ONLY IF IT FULLY CONNECTS...which is rare...

    Battle:

    So I walk towards him until he runs and I continue to walk until I can toggle R3 him and as soon as he jumps I roll into him.

    Sometimes works, sometimes makes me die since I'm not sure when to roll into him.

    When I succeed, I get in maybe a full connecting 661 or .75x that.

    He may back up and grab and I may get him again with a partial or full damage value,

    I back up immediately and carefully dodge. I find it extremely difficult to time dodges on a laggy computer so I just keep my distance.

    Upper 3 slash: East to get hits in (RARE to see)

    1-2-3-4, usually see any combo of these so I never act on any but 4 slashes since he's definitely out of stamina then.

    Any combo then a non-telegraphing slash (nightmare to dodge)

    Jump lunge slash (rare but easy to follow up with a swing)

    Grab: okay, it can come if I prematurely hit during a combo or randomly appear and I take advantage.

    I rarely stunlock him, his stamina recovery is insane.

    Method 1: I just heal behind the rocks, wait to attack when he's open or out of stamina. (Works rarely but when it works it's worked well, until I've ran out of estus)

    Method 2: close quarters (instant death)

    Method 3: creating distance so he can lunge all of the time

    1/3 always is reliable for me but I fumble or I can't react fast enough and I die

    Not sure what to do at this point. Grinding won't solve the problem of extreme terrible normalf** casual technique that I have.

    At this point, I just want to beat it for closure.

    It's kinda exciting but it isn't fun anymore. I had one and only one friend that got me introduced into Soulsborne and now I'm dead to him because I got depressed a few years ago.

    This series is a constant reminder of him. I just need closure. I want to beat every game but I'm just not cut out for this.

    It took me 72 hours just to beat DS2!!!! I can't do this. I don't know what to do...

    submitted by /u/TheStockyScholar
    [link] [comments]

    Are all of Dark Souls a cumulative story? Or are they all stand alone stories in the same world?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 11:48 PM PST

    I've never played a Dark Souls game, but I've been having fun with Sekiro so I was wondering if I should try Dark Souls. I was wondering if it's a cumulative story, so I should start at number 1 and go to 3, or if it really doesn't matter.

    I was also wondering if I should buy it on steam, or if I should buy it by ps4. Not sure if there's a difference, but give your opinions if you have them.

    submitted by /u/diabloPoE12
    [link] [comments]

    Invader killed Siegmeyer?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 12:41 AM PST

    So this is my first play-through and I'm going through Sen's Fortress with a friend. I came across Siegmeyer and exhausted all his dialogue before moving on. But later my friend dies so I backtrack a bit to resummon him.

    While waiting, I get invaded but it was short lived as the invader seemingly died offscreen to presumably the boulders/falling off. What was weird about this encounter was that I suddenly gained 1000 souls moments before the invader died and Siegmeyer was nowhere to be seen. Later when I was passing by the entrance to Sen's Fortress, I noticed a glowing drop on the floor near where you first meet Siegmeyer and picked up 3 humanity and a ring. I quickly went online and my fears were confirmed when I found out that Siegmeyer was the one who dropped these items.

    I thought npcs couldn't be harmed by invaders. Does anyone have any idea as to what happened?

    submitted by /u/So_Sou
    [link] [comments]

    Easiest to hardest bosses? Your own personal ranking

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 03:15 PM PST

    Dark Souls 1, no weapon upgrades, zero hits, sl5 demon spear +0 vs. Artorias of the Abyss.

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 03:54 AM PST

    https://youtu.be/ycR88hksb5A

    I've been using weapons I find, like the enchanted falchion, jagged ghost blade, demon spear, lightning spear and dark hand, to complete dark souls 1 without levelling and upgrading.

    I basically wanted to prove to myself that you could beat dark souls 1 without upgrading or levelling up, just using what you find.

    I picked the assassin character for this bulld, because he comes with the witch ring and I wanted to hear the dialogue from quelaag's sister. I picked the master key as a gift, and used the sens gate glitch to avoid ringing either bells of awakening. In base game, I've unlocked everything to the point of Gwyn being one of the last bosses to kill (haven't killed gaping dragon, Bell gargoyles, or priscilla yet) and I've yet to kill manus or kalameet. I don't think I could even do damage to kalameet.

    submitted by /u/LukeNew
    [link] [comments]

    Visual effects?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 09:23 PM PST

    I've been searching on this sub and the web for ever now but what are all the visual effects from gear? I mean like the red eye ring making your eyes glow or the wolf ring making that pulsing white aura. I've been doing fashion souls for a decade but still seem to randomly find effects that I'd never seen before. Is there a comprehensive list

    submitted by /u/CosmicDeityofSin
    [link] [comments]

    Stats cap?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 09:04 PM PST

    can somenone explain the stats cap to me? Im doing a quality Dex build, vit:29 end:29 str:24 dex:29. I read on the wiki, its says that ur scaling for dex drops slightly after 20, but ur damage still increases?

    submitted by /u/TygoFTW
    [link] [comments]

    Return to Drangleic!!

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:56 AM PST

    On account of the event starting tomorrow, I'd think that a lot of us would want to talk to like-minded individuals that share the love of fromsoftware in a perhaps more direct fashion. If you want, you can join the Discord server which mainly focuses on souls games but also branches to a lot more things. If you're interested, I hope to see you there!!

    https://discord.gg/8k7bm4k

    submitted by /u/xxarsene
    [link] [comments]

    Dark souls remastered- Can I get banned for modding

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 02:04 AM PST

    I'm thinking about modding DSR but i'm not sure if ill get banned. If I can what can I do to avoid it?

    submitted by /u/onk206
    [link] [comments]

    Sen's fort

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 06:27 PM PST

    What dmg should I have for sens? I feel like I'm too weak. I do like 70 to the lizard guys.

    submitted by /u/BaneofOnions760
    [link] [comments]

    Platinum

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 01:26 AM PST

    It took me over 60 hours and i could do two times more(like it took me in dks3). At the end i was so focesed that i did second playthrough in 1 evening. Total masterpiece of course, as other fromsofts games. Last on the list is dks 2.

    submitted by /u/Simiti404
    [link] [comments]

    Just fought Seath the Scaleless

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 01:00 AM PST

    I hit his back tail the entire fight. Never got the moonlight great sword

    submitted by /u/DeadeyeFGC
    [link] [comments]

    Taurus Demon

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 06:24 PM PST

    I just defeated the Taurus Demon! Lost my souls in the progress of needing to kindle for more flasks! And I know it's not a big deal to anyone else, but I just though I'd share in my little victory! Onto more challenging things!

    submitted by /u/A-Naughty-Miss
    [link] [comments]

    O&S: where your bad habits finally break

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 12:00 PM PST

    Based on my experience, I wonder if the famous difficulty of Ornstein & Smough is misunderstood.

    Dark Souls has both a relatively complex combat system, and leveling/upgrading. The latter allows you to gradually compensate for shortcomings in your play and so adjust the difficulty. What I see in hindsight is that it can even paper over basic misunderstandings of combat... until O&S, when they become insupportable even for well-leveled, well-equipped fighters.

    In my case, I hadn't really learned the difference between run-jump and dodge rolls, was frequently getting jumps when rolls were intended, and crucially, was getting smashed because AFAIK jumping doesn't have i-frames.

    This was closely linked to my second biggest weakness, an over-reliance on running away to recover. There are several problems with running away. It's quite tricky to use the camera to keep an eye on your enemies while so doing; you can't dodge-roll out of a run; and several enemies' attacks (like O&S) can't be effectively outrun anyhow. I was running blind, jumping like a madman, not even getting to observe and learn from the dudes who were thrashing me.

    The sad part is it was almost still viable, I killed Smough a number of times. If I had kept a proper eye on them I would have noticed that most of the time they were walking at a measured pace, and all their furious speed was going into dodge-able attacks.

    Well, I eventually learned, started to actually enjoy the fight, and beat them. Much love to this superb pair. My long tutorial stage is, maybe, finally over? ...eh, probably not.

    submitted by /u/teffflon
    [link] [comments]

    Need help picking a fun weapon

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:49 PM PST

    Hey guys I'm playing a dex character ive been using the uchi I know it's good but I want something "funner" I've tried the balder side sword but I didn't like the move set so do you guys have any suggestions

    submitted by /u/west2055
    [link] [comments]

    Is their a way to randomize just your starting gear?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 05:37 PM PST

    To be clear I want to start the game with completely random gear is there a way to do this? I haven't tried to use the Dark Souls Item Randomizer because it seems to just do it to items found in the world correct me if I'm wrong though. Any help would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/beezy-slayer
    [link] [comments]

    Claymore or Gargoyle Halberd

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:57 AM PST

    In Dark Souls remastered I'm preparing before I venture into blightown. I have 17 str and 12 dex. I'm wondering if I should upgrade and use my claymore or my gargoyle halberd. I don't plan on upgrading my dex anymore but both scale with strength. So I'd like some help deciding which one I should use. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/iCalvKid
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment