• Breaking News

    Monday, February 3, 2020

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Modding Monday.

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Modding Monday.


    /r/DarkSouls2 - Modding Monday.

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 10:14 PM PST

    Welcome to the weekly Dark Souls mod announcement and discussion thread!

    Beware! Use of mods whilst connected to the internet can cause you to get banned from online play!

    For more information, or to continue the discussion visit /r/ModSouls

    Using mods (PC only!) to enhance or add new content to the Souls games is great fun! It is important, however, to understand that mods are against From's EULA/ToS, so there is a great risk of being banned when using them due to From's anti-cheat--which is deployed in most versions of the Souls games.

    Versions of the games where modding is safe due to no anti-cheat:

    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

    Versions of the games where modding carries a very high risk of being banned:

    Dark Souls: Remastered

    Dark Souls II

    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

    Dark Souls III


    Our recommendations for safe modding

    *This advice is intended for first-time or relatively inexperienced modders who want to get into modding without risking a ban on their main Steam account.

    Basic Steps:

    Make a separate Steam account

    Use Steam's Family Sharing feature to provide your new account with access to your main Steam account's game library.

    Install games to be used with the new account in a separate directory.

    Once you've found your mods be sure to read (and follow) the mod author's instructions carefully prior to installation.

    Set Steam to "off line" mode.

    Install the mods and perform any necessary setup.

    Enjoy the fun and interesting experiences offered by mods!

    Be sure to remove all file components of the mod before going back online!

    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls2/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I finally did it! First female to No Hit Any %!

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 08:07 PM PST

    This was such a damn wild ride. 4.5 months of sheer determination, practise, changing strats - even to the last couple of weeks.

    I finally got really consistent on the runs after changing how I did my Shulva split. I also routed in Homeward spell as Forlorn killed my run twice in one day and I was super pissed! I had had enough of him! I was already dealing with Forlorns for about 4 months, but I was getting so consistent on my runs I wanted him out of the equation. Thankfully I was told it was ok to route it in. I felt like the run would and could be any day.

    I ended up with seven 1 hit PB's by the time I got the run. I thought I actually got the run on the 29th Jan. I cheered, I screamed, I cried, all to have it come crashing down on me when a clip showed I took the tiniest 2 slivers of HP drain from Nashandra. I was officially dead inside. My soul was crushed. I felt ready to just quit as this was b*******.

    I got back into it the next day with no success. The day after I finally did it! On 31st Jan I refused to believe it was real, after what had happened. But I really did get the run!

    I have done other challenge runs in the soulsborne series, but this was by far the most challenging and rewarding thing I have ever done.

    Full VOD here as well as the end of "The Run That Wasn't" included in the beginning.

    Dark Souls II SOTFS Any % No Hit

    submitted by /u/BrutalNerd
    [link] [comments]

    Fume Knight

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 09:45 AM PST

    He had me fuming. This dual wielding motherfucker killed me more times than the entire mages guild of shrine of amana. I swapped my rings, I traded in my faithful greatsword for a rinky dink club, I tried using life gems of various quality so I wouldn't have to stand still for gatorade, I tried taking off my Iron Turtle costume for the 50% weight roll, I tried eating the dank green blossoms to increase my stamina gain.

    NOTHING

    FUCKING

    WORKED

    Then I had a crazy idea. I took off all of my clothes to intimidate him with my nakedness, and low and behold the Prude was lain to rest.

    I guess the hardest part of the fight for me was the violation of muscle memory, phase 1 always dodge right, phase 2 always dodge left.

    submitted by /u/TheHandsomebadger
    [link] [comments]

    Just found a black knight ultra greatsword on a tiny enemy, is this normal?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:24 AM PST

    It was a tiny little rat thing with smoke coming off it I stabbed it and dropped the sword.

    submitted by /u/DAZEPIC
    [link] [comments]

    The Absence of the Tragic Maiden

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 10:06 AM PST

    One of the least-discussed themes of the Souls series is its stance towards god(s) and religion in general. Perhaps it is because of how touchy the subject is, but across the whole series organised religions and the gods they worship have been cast into an antagonistic role:

    • In Demon's Souls, God was actually the Old One, fooling pious men into thinking there was any difference between Sorcery and Miracles, or between the source of all Demons and God himself.
    • In Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3, we realise that the gods use humanity and the player character as pawns in their bid for unending power, lying and fooling those who seek comfort from the curse created by the very gods.
    • Dark Souls 2 is the odd one out here: the gods of Drangleic are relegated to the background, mentioned by name only in passing by item descriptions and have no relevance to the game's main plot. Indeed, the revelation that Evlana, goddess of the hunt, was simply a mortal deifed by legends could support the idea that none of the gods is a real deity.
      However, the actions of Gwyn, his First Sin and the context gained in the Ringed City are what allows, what forces the fate of Vendrick to unfold and the journey of the Bearer of the Curse to take place.

    It's obvious that the Souls games are about humans finding their own place in the world, and the struggle to be free of the yoke of fate. In this sense, Dark Souls 2 probably has the "best" endings in that both ones depict the Bearer of the Curse making their own choice, and imply that they still have free will no matter which ending you pick. A similar situation is presented in the Usurpation of Fire ending of Dark Souls 3, where the Ashen One seems to break the cycle in a way that is not catastrophic nor guided by external forces, but by their own volition.

    However, one interesting recurring figure in the series is what I call the "Tragic Maiden": a woman, pure and pious and full of faith, sworn to the church and incarnating the positive aspects of religion, fully believing the sweet lies of the gods but at the same time offering comfort and warmth to all who come. A true saint, perhaps allowing the possibility of a different form of religion, based on real ideals and morals rather than blind worship to scheming gods and power-hungry bishops and pontiffs.

    In Demon's Souls this role is taken by Saint Astrea, a cleric so virtuous that she would sacrifice her body and soul and even her honour to help the downtrodden and plagued inhabitants of the Valley of Defilement. In Dark Souls this role is split between the Fair Lady, who "inherits" Astrea's self-sacrifice in taking the pus of Blighttown upon herself, and Rhea of Thorolund, who incarnates the role of the faithful and kind saint cast away by the church she had sworn her life to. In Dark Souls 3 we have Irina of Carim, who wished to become a Fire keeper but failed, nonetheless doing what little she can to help the kind soul who gifted her with a caring touch.

    No matter what, all those stories end in tragedy: the Demon Hunter kills Astrea and Garl Vinland, for Astrea's soul is necessary to meet the Old One. The Fair Lady is fated to die no matter how much one tries to soothe her pain, and she will die alone, without even the presence of her dear sister; Rhea will either be killed by Petrus or lose purpose and go hollow, stolen away to the Duke's Archives; and Irina will either pray for the death at the hand of her faithful knight, or that very knight will die somewhere far away and she will never be delivered of her pain.

    The missing piece here is Dark Souls 2: there is no Tragic Maiden to be found in Drangleic, and the main character associated with miracles has none of the qualities of the saints above: Licia is not selfless and certainly not kind, she is implied to have fled Lindlet and not truly believe in the teachings of the monastery. One may find sympathy in her escape from an oppressive theocracy, but her flight may very well have been caused by suspicions caused by the death of one of her victims.

    The Milfanito? Hardly: while gentle and caring, and one of them having met death, they will go on after the game ends. In fact, they are better off thanks to the actions of the Bearer of the Curse: the Demon of Song is gone and the trapped Milfanito is freed. Unless you are a bastard and kill them, they have a sort of happy ending.

    Some may name Alsanna as Dark Souls 2's take on this role, and she does seem to check some boxes, but she doesn't quite fit: her devotion is to her king, not the gods, and as a Child of Dark she could never be fooled by their lies.
    Alsanna does show selflessness in her eternal vigil over the Old Chaos, but she is never rejected or betrayed by the object of her devotion: the Ivory King loved her truly, and fought to death for their people. She will stand vigil over the Old Chaos for eternity, but she is not condemned as Astrea, the Fair Lady, Rhea and Irina. If you finish her questline she may have found peace and satisfaction in knowing that you have freed all the tortured souls of Eleum Loyce's brave defenders from the Flame of Chaos.

    So, why is this? Dark Souls 2 is the odd one out in many aspects, but it does deliver on many recurring themes found in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls: Velstadt is the paladin harmed with a greathammer (Garl Vinland, Paladin Leeroy) guarding the one he's sworn to; the machinations and research of Lord Aldia are tied to the greater plot and influence our journey in both great and small ways (King Allant, Seath); dragons feature heavily, and of course the shadow cast by the last Great King is omnipresent in the form of Vendrick (King Allant, Lord Gwyn). And of course we have the Emerald Herald taking on the mantle of the Maiden in Black and the Firekeepers. For level and enemy design we have a list recurring concepts and callbacks too long to write down, but it is obvious that the game continues on many traditions set by its predecessors.

    Yet this rather strong narrative element - this tragic character which exemplifies so much about the worlds and themes of the Souls series - is absent. The Tragic Maiden is an expression of both the nihilistic perspective of those games and the underlying message of hope and genuine goodness existing in the world. While their stories are emotional and sad, they are very much a sign of light existing within those universes, driving the player forward into achieving something. They make you feel the unfairness of the world, and in some cases even cast enormous doubts upon your morality, but giving up after they meet a fateful end is not what the games want: they want to inflame you and provoke an emotional response, to rebel against the grim and evil nature of the land. With Dark Souls 2 having an emphasis on the personal journey of the player character and the importance of identity, purpose and free will, the absence of this character may be odd.

    So, what do you think? Is this character truly absent in Dark Souls 2, or has she been hidden from us? Is it Alsanna? Was Elana actually well-meaning and supposed to incarnate the Tragic Maiden?

    Or maybe the answer is the character which we all know to be the ultimate answer to all Dark Souls 2 questions:

    PHARROS

    submitted by /u/David_the_Wanderer
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls 2: SotFS - My most Frustrating Death!

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:06 AM PST

    Just thought I'd like to share My most frustrating death so far in Dark Souls 2, luckily I didn't break my controller :)

    This is in the Iron King DLC, playing STR/FAI and I was so confident, I'd got the mob down to pixels of health...

    Just a classic Dark Souls moment during my playthrough.

    submitted by /u/CushionyTengis
    [link] [comments]

    I can’t seem to enjoy Iron Keeps beauty with all the enemies

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:48 AM PST

    Iron keep is an awesome lava castle and I even think the knights are cool too but they're just too many around every corner. You clear out 5 of them and you think your safe but watch out watch out they're 3 more behind you trying to ambush you. I might need to quit for the night and try again tomorrow. What are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Sweeney49
    [link] [comments]

    Scholar of the first sin playthrough, I'm stuck...

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 01:56 PM PST

    I'm stuck at the tower apart. The sentinels have got me pinned and I cannot get passed them. Any help? I'm on PS4, and my Gamer tag is DamoclesTheGreat

    submitted by /u/Holygigashit
    [link] [comments]

    Everyone and anyone down to start a little fight club at Iron Keep? (Xbox1)

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 01:43 PM PST

    We'll be under the goddess of love (for some ironic reason) and anyone can join. As long as alot of people are present im sure a wide range of soul levels will get some pvp :))

    This isnt really organized but more aimed towards people having chances to advance in their pvp covenants and to have some fun.

    If anyone does want to try the fun im planning on streaming and playing myself at around 4:40 PM CST Twitch

    submitted by /u/AlbinoB0I
    [link] [comments]

    I am finally done.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 02:16 AM PST

    It has taken me far longer than I am willing to admit, but I did it.

    After hours of farming sunlight medals and then realizing that 500 victories with a specific faction wasn't going to be worth it, I just gave up and speed-ran through NG+ and NG++ to get to chancellor Welleger.

    I have now got the platinum and completed the game and DLC numerous times.

    I'm not sure if I'll ever come back, at least not for a long time. Without other people playing online modes, there's not much to see beyond the stuff I've played through numerous times now.

    Thanks for the good times Dark Souls II.

    submitted by /u/mizushinzui
    [link] [comments]

    Kind Invader

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:07 PM PST

    The other day I was invaded by a red phantom; I'm not very active in the Souls community but it's just basic manners to wait for a bow before engaging. So anyway, after we bow I back up and start spamming sorcery, probably not cool but I was desperate to go up a rank in the Way of the Blue and hadn't been able to beat a phantom yet, but anyway I notice the invader is not fighting back at all, so I stop and we emote to each other for a bit but I can't really understand what they're getting at. So then he starts dropping a ton of equipment, really nice stuff; I got a Manslayer +5, full Havel's set +5, rings, 99 lifegems and throwing knifes, firebombs, it was insane. As he's doing this I'm leaving messages like "I can't take this..." but when he was done he waved, and jumped off a cliff to die. I couldn't believe it! Was this just a really good person; or am I missing something? Was I supposed to do something? Am I a thief for taking the stuff? Has this ever happened to you?

    submitted by /u/LohnnyGeeWombat
    [link] [comments]

    What area in the game is most aestheticially pleasing to you?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:58 AM PST

    Shrine of Armana for me personally. The mix of the colors and the haunting and beautiful melody from the Milfanito.

    submitted by /u/MrC_95
    [link] [comments]

    Drangleic armor worth upgrading?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 10:58 AM PST

    New player, str build, using greatsword+5 now, putting points in vitality now.

    submitted by /u/Organized-Konfusion
    [link] [comments]

    What id's everyone's favorite set/sets?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 02:11 PM PST

    Mines the drakeblood set, tbd faraam set and the black dragon set

    Would love to hear yours :)

    submitted by /u/Noobie_xD
    [link] [comments]

    Better Console to Play On?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 02:04 PM PST

    In regard to frame rate and optimization, which is the better console to play DS2 on? PS4 or XBox1? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Tango_27
    [link] [comments]

    Reskinned Weapons

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 01:43 PM PST

    Hey people! So it recently came to my attention that their are a few weapons that got some cool reskins.

    I've been playing this game for years and never heard of them and then I see one guy with a moonlight longsword and was like WHAT??!

    May someone tell me how to get them? I heard they're not in SotFS so can someone drop them for me perhaps?

    submitted by /u/EmptyMoment
    [link] [comments]

    Drangleic view

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 01:37 PM PST

    I always wondered about the placement of the drangleic tower on background seen from majula. Have someone tried to see if it is placed correctly in the background? Like the x y z coordinates or if its a 3D model or if its even rendered like object or just 2D background?

    submitted by /u/nomemecontent
    [link] [comments]

    Which is a good starting class for a first time player of DS2 Sotfs

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:47 AM PST

    It's my first time playing dark souls 2 and I was wondering what would be a good class to start off with I've heard sorcerer is good but weak in the beginning any tips ?

    submitted by /u/Turbolasertron
    [link] [comments]

    Cleric: the basic bitch of starting classes?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 04:01 AM PST

    I feel like every time i start dark souls I start with cleric because of the heals, and the fact you have a mace. Extra healing plus a nice weapon? Count me in. Not to mention it feels like cleric is the strongest starting class in ds2. But that might just be my bias, because that class is so the way i play the game.

    submitted by /u/Manaraptor
    [link] [comments]

    Melee weapon for a mage build

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:27 AM PST

    I have a mage character with 50 intell. I've never used melee once. I now want a melee weapon in my left hand that I can use the magic stone on. I've only got 7 strength and 7 dex. Currently I can only wield the dagger but it seems a waste to use the magic stone on that. What weapon should I get to Imbue with magic? I suppose I will level up strength or dex a bit of I have to. Please note I haven't finished the game yet, the latest bonfire I've lit is at Rhoy's Resting Place

    submitted by /u/iLL_Behaviour
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get these giant memory/souls?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 10:20 AM PST

    I've been doing a semi blind playthrough. Had a guide up for the opening just to make sure I have some solid starting equipment. Other than that I post on here when I get super stuck.

    So I'm at Drangleic castle and I think I'm going to be running into Vendrick soon. I can't seem to remember because it was awhile ago but I remember someone saying you need 5 giant memory, souls or hearts for his fight or it's beyond miserable.

    I don't know if I'm up to the part you can get them but if I am I guess I should go for it.

    Any help with this would be great. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Stompin14
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a Curved Twinblade

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 06:51 AM PST

    I can't be bothered joining the covenant and winning 50 online matches, and I am currently running a dex build. SL83 on PC, SotFS. Can trade something for it if that's necessary.

    submitted by /u/fowl_fark
    [link] [comments]

    Dex

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 02:44 AM PST

    Can someone explain to me the use of dex I'm currently using a str character and i was wondering if it is just str but fancier.

    submitted by /u/EmberPaw12
    [link] [comments]

    Darklurker

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:58 AM PST

    Darklurker is one hell of a boss. I stacked up on human effigies, thinking that I will need a lot of tries to kill her. I don't know how, but I managed to kill her on my first try. Weapons: Left hand-Blacksteel Katana with Flame Weapon; Right hand-Berzerker blade with Gold Pine Resin.

    submitted by /u/TheChosenUndead101
    [link] [comments]

    Ahhhhhhhh!!!!

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 08:36 PM PST

    I FINALY DID IT!!! may have taken me 4 years but I FINALY beet this Awesome game. I got it thinking I could beet it while I was home with my new born but I got stuck after beating the Pursuer. After many many fakes starts, going to Blooborn and coming back I did it! Feels soooooo good! Thanks to all the guids this great community put together it finally came together for me.

    submitted by /u/trunkssosp
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment