• Breaking News

    Monday, January 27, 2020

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Modding Monday.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Modding Monday.


    /r/DarkSouls - Modding Monday.

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 10:10 PM PST

    Welcome to the weekly Dark Souls mod announcement and discussion thread!

    Beware! Use of mods whilst connected to the internet can cause you to get banned from online play!

    For more information, or to continue the discussion visit /r/ModSouls

    Using mods (PC only!) to enhance or add new content to the Souls games is great fun! It is important, however, to understand that mods are against From's EULA/ToS, so there is a great risk of being banned when using them due to From's anti-cheat--which is deployed in most versions of the Souls games.

    Versions of the games where modding is safe due to no anti-cheat:

    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

    Versions of the games where modding carries a very high risk of being banned:

    Dark Souls: Remastered

    Dark Souls II

    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

    Dark Souls III


    Our recommendations for safe modding

    *This advice is intended for first-time or relatively inexperienced modders who want to get into modding without risking a ban on their main Steam account.

    Basic Steps:

    Make a separate Steam account

    Use Steam's Family Sharing feature to provide your new account with access to your main Steam account's game library.

    Install games to be used with the new account in a separate directory.

    Once you've found your mods be sure to read (and follow) the mod author's instructions carefully prior to installation.

    Set Steam to "off line" mode.

    Install the mods and perform any necessary setup.

    Enjoy the fun and interesting experiences offered by mods!

    Be sure to remove all file components of the mod before going back online!


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Darksouls taught me to Get Gud at video games as a whole

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 06:42 PM PST

    For a lot of years, I was the "exploiter"/"cheese master" kind of gamer. I spent time looking more for easy solutions rather than learning to play the game well. Cheat codes, exploits, cheese, and dumb AI were daughters out at every possibility.

    Then Darksouls.

    I played Darksouls for the first time last year, and immediately hated it. It was confusing, and hard, and not a great experience. This December, I picked it up again and fell in love. My fist play through took 60 hours, and it's rapidly fallen from there on subsequent saves. And all along the way, I was getting gud. (ofc Darksouls has cheese and I used it frequently but not everything could be cheesed by lil ol me)

    Today I fresh installed Skyrim for nastalgia's sake, and it was nothing to me. A cake walk even. I had gotten gud at Darksouls, but by doing so, it taught me to learn how to get gud given the circumstances of a game. Darksouls made me a better gamer, and I am having way more fun now, taking on challenges I thought were out of my league. I'm looking forward to what comes next.

    Thank you Darksouls!

    TL;DR: Darksouls taught me to get gud at gaming.

    submitted by /u/giffin0374
    [link] [comments]

    I spent almost an hour trying to move the statue behind kingseeker frampt...

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 04:32 PM PST

    then i remembered I saw that animation in an unused dark souls content video. fml.

    submitted by /u/superepicgamermanguy
    [link] [comments]

    If the age of fire is extinguished, what does that mean for the dark soul and humanity (undead)?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 04:33 PM PST

    So before I ask the question, the following statements I take as facts:

    The dark soul thrives in the dark. (Which opposes the lord souls)

    Each human, or undead, has a piece of the dark soul

    So if those 2 statements are true, and we are human in every dark souls game, why is our mission to prolong the light if it serves to weaken us? As humans or undead (if there is a difference), isnt it better to usher in an age of dark? Our piece of the dark soul then will make us more powerful. True or false?

    submitted by /u/Armani201
    [link] [comments]

    Once you kill the dogs, the Capra Demon might be one of my favourite bosses in DS1.

    Posted: 27 Jan 2020 04:47 AM PST

    When I was first-timing this game, I'd never have forseen myself saying this.

    Dying upwards of twenty times, usually within three seconds, just to go back to the start of a several minute walk was as big of a moodkiller as you could get.

    But see, once the dogs are out of the way, not only does the Demon become much more doable, I find qualities I don't get elsewhere in the game.

    At some point I came to appreciate the concept of shielding, finding windows of opportunity to attack, and also keeping an eye on my stamina, such as in early duels against black knights. I remember thinking it was as close as a game had ever come to making me feel like I was taking part in a swordfight. However, once you become very familiar with a boss, and recognise the pattern too comfortably, you could argue this value is lost.

    Not so against the Capra Demon, in thanks to the arena.

    A lot of folks say how the detest the foliage and how it blocks the screen, but as far as I'm concerned, what it does is that if forcs you to use your imagination and take calculated risks to return to more visible perspectives, while still trying to time the enemy's strikes. It maintains all the pros I listed from fights against Black Knights while also bringing in another layer of variability, forcing you to learn to adapt, on top of learning to recognise the enemy's rhythm. It raises the skill ceiling another level higher.

    Of course, there's still the irritating and unfair problem of the dogs you need to deal with first, so I couldn't critically assert that this boss fight is, in general, a great piece of design. But sincerely, once they're out of the way, I think the game has you in for one of its best enemies.

    submitted by /u/-Sawnderz-
    [link] [comments]

    I can't

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 11:44 PM PST

    I finally arrived to the end of blighttown, really fun, but now i have to fight that spider-woman-thing. It's not hard, but god i hate fighting giant spiders

    submitted by /u/Tekkeiah
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls Favourite Locations!

    Posted: 27 Jan 2020 01:49 AM PST

    In Dark Souls, what is everyone's favourite location to come across or explore? Personally, I love the Painted World of Ariamis because of the amount to explore and the creepy and cold environment we are given.

    What about you? What's your favourite location(s) and why?

    submitted by /u/Br4nd0n77
    [link] [comments]

    I just beat my first From Software game last night. Damn what a great experience. I guess I'll share it with you.

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 01:36 PM PST

    So I guess I'll preface this by briefly listing the "harder than average" games I've played in the past year, that might have prepared me for Dark Souls.

    Undertale, it had it's hard moments.

    Hollow Knight, one of my favorite games, a lot of tough bosses.

    Sekiro, haven't beaten it, I couldn't even beat Sword Saint's Genichiro phase

    Cuphead, great game, mostly fair, rarely bullshit. Cough Beppy's Donkey stage cough.

    And finally

    Dark Souls

    So my first time beating Dark Souls was not my first time playing Dark Souls. My first time playing DS was a few years ago on Xbox 360. I had gotten to the Dragon Bridge, got burned to death a few times. So I assumed I wasn't supposed to be there yet lol. So I explored around Firelink, went to the graveyard and proceeded to get gang raped by skeletons. Then I went down to New Londo Ruins, got gang raped by ghosts, then just gave up on Dark Souls.

    Flash forward to a couple weeks ago, I decided to give Dark Souls another chance on Xbox One. I went with a Dex Spear build. Got halfway through the depths.

    Then I decided on a whim to pick up a 50 dollar Nintendo Eshop card for Dark Souls Remastered about a week ago. I was finally hooked on the game. I could not put it down. I went with a Deprived Great Club Endurance/Strength build.

    My early game equipment was. Great Club, Elite Knight Chestpiece and Leggings, Havel's Ring and Wolf Ring.

    This is where the journey officially starts. I went through the early game pretty fast as I knew what to do and expect. Killed Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon first try with my little club. Then got to Andre and decided to go get the great club. Went and got that, came back to Andre to upgrade it. Then was off to fight the Gargoyles, killed them first try. Then I went to kill Havel for his ring. Put that on, and went for Moonlight Butterfly, first try. Farmed souls for a while to get my Equip Load under 25%. Went down to Capra Demon, killed him first try, only because I had already known what to expect.

    All of those bosses I had already fought on my Xbox Spear profile. Everything from now on was brand new to me.

    So I went down to the Depths and made it to the Gaping Dragon, took me just a few tries, not too bad. I then opened the door to Blight Town, and turned right back around when I saw the words Blight Town on my screen lol.

    I then went to New Londo Ruins, found out it was a dead end, then made a post here asking for help, you all are so helpful <3. Went through Blight Town through the Valley of Drakes. Killed Quelaag (kinda hot ngl 😳). Then went to the Demon Ruins without spending 29,000 souls (stupid me, I know) lost them all to Ceaseless Discharge, fought him (I think) way too early. Went back to Blight Town again without spending the 20,000 souls I got from Ceaseless, (even more stupid me) and lost those 20,000 souls because I fell off the elevator.

    Then I was off to Sen's Fortress, made it through that, not too bad, I found the Bonfire. Then fought the Iron Golem, killed him on my second try.

    Anor Londo, best area in the game imo. So, I went through the beginning area, came to a dead end so I just had to look up a guide. You have to climb up a pillar? Made it through Anor Londo to the bonfire with Sunbro Solaire. Then went down to the infamous Ornstein and Smough... beat them on my 3rd or 4th try. Honestly they weren't that hard. I just kept a pillar between me and Smough and waited to hit Ornstein after his dash attack. Took out Ornstein. Then for Smough, I just waited for him to do his jumping attack, ran over and hit him, rinse and repeat. Best boss imo

    Alright, I went back to New Londo Ruins, cleared the water and made my way down to the 4 Kings... I'm still salty about that fight (I made a rant post about it if you care to read it.)

    I then made my way to Seath. The Dukes Archives are confusing lol. Posted about this area for help. Finally made my way to Seath, and beat him on my 2nd or 3rd try. I also ended up changing my armor here to: Boar Helmet, Red robes and red skirt or whatever it's called.

    Now to the Bed of Chaos. Fuck everything about the Demon Ruins, Lost Izaleth and Bed of Chaos. The run back to BoC sucked, the boss "fight" sucked, everything sucked. I killed BoC on around my tenth try.

    Now to Nito. The Catacombs and Tomb of Giants were really confusing. Killed Pinwheel finally after about 50 tries... jk it was only one try. Nito was hard. I think I can only thank luck for beating him.

    Now on to Gwyn. He was honestly kinda underwhelming as a final boss imo. No cool intro cutscene, just you and a bigger guy with a flaming sword. The music was top notch though. I beat him on about my seventh try after giving up on parrying him.

    Edit: Thanks to u/Potatoslayer2 for explaining the lore behind the fight.

    Overall great game.

    Now I guess I'll talk about how hard each boss was for my first kill of them.

    Asylum Demon: 1 death. Good tutorial boss.

    Taurus Demon: 0 deaths. Pretty bland boss.

    Bell Gargoyles: for the first time fighting them, 7-10 deaths. These guys are HARD for me. Most of their challenge comes from their fire breath.

    Moonlight Butterfly: 5-7 deaths. She is hard without a shield. With a sheild, she's a cakewalk.

    Capra Demon: 7-10 tries first time. Overhated in my opinion. Once you know what to do, he becomes really easy.

    Gaping Dragon: 3-5 deaths. Just watch out for the walk attack.

    Quelaag: 3-5 deaths. Just watch out for her sword and AOE. Pretty hot in more than one way.

    Ceaseless Discharge: I don't remeber how many deaths. Bad boss, probably only because I fought him way too early. His firebeam kept one shotting me.

    Iron Golem: 1 death. He caught me off guard with his projectile. Pretty easy.

    Ornstein and Smough: 2-3 deaths. Underwhelming difficulty. Loved the fight though, as soon as I beat themnI wanted to fight them again.

    Sif: 4-6 deaths. Unexpectedly hard. The limping was heartbreaking. My little sister was cheering him on the whole time lol.

    Stray Demon: 3 deaths. Complete BULLSHIT fight. Forcing you to take half your health, and his AOE hitbox is huge.

    4 Kings: 7-10 tries. Another bullshit fight. I'm not gonna list the reasons here, you can look through my profile for my post about them, if you want.

    Seath the Scaleless: 3 deaths. Not bad of a fight, a little on the easy side, but cool overall.

    Firesage Demon: 3 deaths. Again total bullshit because of the AOE

    Centipede Demon: 0 deaths. Not much to say about it except it was easy.

    Bed of Chaos: 7-10 deaths. Not as bad as I expected. The worst part was the run back, even with the hidden bonfire.

    Pinwheel: 0 deaths. No wonder poor pinwheel is the butt of all DS jokes. I killed them in just 3 hits.

    Nito: Around 5 deaths. Not really much to say. I almost forgot to mention him earlier.

    Gwyn Lord of Cinder: Around 7 deaths. Once I stopped trying to parry him, it was about average difficulty. Easy for a final boss, great music though.

    So that concludes my first experience, amazing game. I already started a new character.

    submitted by /u/Anonymous00000399
    [link] [comments]

    Games don't feel the same

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 06:46 PM PST

    I've revisited DOOM, beaten Borderlands 3 multiple times, finished the Modern Warfare campaign, and you know what? They all seem to follow the "throw your weight at their weight and see who wins" formula. After playing the Souls series, I've grown to dodge effectively in ways that make sense. I've even learned positioning from these games. I've tried applying them to the aforementioned games and it doesn't work. In most recent games, especially in Borderlands, I'll try to move out of the way of attacks but they're designed to hit nearly every time. There's no calculated thought or reason for how you deal with situations and it all feels bland. These reasons are exactly why I fell in love with the souls series, because they keep you active and stop you from falling into repetitive patterns. But all I get from other games is exactly that, repetitive patterns. Am I the only one to feel this way? Or am I being silly. Genuinely curious.

    submitted by /u/halfmind2003
    [link] [comments]

    My favorite areas in the game, am I a masochist?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 02:22 PM PST

    1. Blighttown
    2. Lost Izialith
    3. Sens Fortress
    4. New londo ruins
    5. Tomb of the Giants

    I enjoy being deep down, alone. Anor Londo is a favorite for many, but im not a fan of it.

    submitted by /u/xzamuzx
    [link] [comments]

    is there any mod where you can fight both Artorias and Sif?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 04:15 PM PST

    i mean, come on, it has to be a mod where you fight Artorias alongside Sif or vice versa

    submitted by /u/lesytar
    [link] [comments]

    I Finally Did It

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 02:08 PM PST

    I finally beat Dark Souls for the first time. I killed Gwyn right as Solaire died so RIP Solaire. I'm so happy I'm legit about to cry.

    submitted by /u/Aspyn_Wolf
    [link] [comments]

    Dark souls, prepare to die edition

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 07:02 PM PST

    Quick question for all of you. I see there is alot of deals going on this lunar new year on steam, bought myself dark souls 3 and 2. Problem is, dark souls one is not available to buy on steam. Is there a reason for that, and can I buy it online elsewhere?

    submitted by /u/cpierini1
    [link] [comments]

    My girlfriend just started playing Dark Souls

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 08:12 PM PST

    Dark Souls games are probably my favorite games in the whole wide world, so she decided to pick up the first one and try it out.

    She just beat Asylum Demon and got to Firelink Shrine in good time. I'm excited to see what she thinks of the rest of the game. However, I do fear that she might get really impatient and frustrated at some points *cough cough* Ornstein and Smough *cough cough*

    submitted by /u/TheHarryman01
    [link] [comments]

    PS4 co-op playthrough

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 06:26 PM PST

    I just started what will be my last playthrough of DSR before moving onto other games and was wondering if anyone would like to join me?

    submitted by /u/doompatroI
    [link] [comments]

    Where to go ?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 06:26 PM PST

    I'm kinda confused about where to go next. Defeated O and S, Seath, Sif, 4 kings, centipede demon, Ariamis boss, offered souls to lord vessel.

    submitted by /u/fetten42
    [link] [comments]

    Is the community for Dark Souls 1 (not the remaster) still active?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 06:17 PM PST

    I've recently come back to Dark Souls on my ps3 after finally buying the Artorias DLC and I have been struggling to find summon signs/get summoned. Does anyone know if the community is still active on here?

    submitted by /u/DuperDob
    [link] [comments]

    Just beat DS1 and all it’s bosses! Should I replay the second?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 09:55 PM PST

    Dark souls 2 was the first souls game I've played. Does anyone think that it deserves to be revisited? If not I'll hop into dark souls 3.

    submitted by /u/Mugi_luffy
    [link] [comments]

    Black Knight Halberd

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 05:56 PM PST

    So I'm entering dukes archives at this point and I've gotten the greatsword, sword, and greataxe. Is there still an opportunity to get the black knight halberd or shield this playthrough? Just asking so I save my twinkling titanite

    submitted by /u/SiiiiilverSurrrfffer
    [link] [comments]

    Trying my first darksouls remastered soul level 1 deprived run through.

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 09:30 PM PST

    My brother said im a bit ambitious with the rules I have set of no rings, no shield and no armour. If I'm not wrong, minus needing the ring to take on 4 kings I should be able to do it with a lot of grinding.

    submitted by /u/emophysix
    [link] [comments]

    Where do I go next? Avoiding spoilers please.

    Posted: 27 Jan 2020 01:05 AM PST

    After finally obtaining the Lord Vessel, and after my pain staking adventure so far I decided to grind a bit... or a lot as I am not level 103. I also decided to finally stab the moth a bunch of times as well since I've never done that. I'm guessing my main task is to go kill the three bosses that opened up for me in Anor Londo, the fiery pits of hell, and what I'm assuming is probably the catacombs somewhere.

    Side questions. Should I have already gone through the valley of drakes, and new Londo ruins yet cause I just haven't done either.

    submitted by /u/WhiteDemon35
    [link] [comments]

    I beat Manus solo without silver pendant

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 06:59 PM PST

    Where's my medal? Kappa

    submitted by /u/NinjaPotato206
    [link] [comments]

    I still feel bad about killing Solaire

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 09:04 PM PST

    It felt so wrong to aggro him

    Worth it, though, for that Sunlight Talisman, not gonna lie. Thing looks freakin' spiffy.

    submitted by /u/darksoulsobsessive
    [link] [comments]

    Constantly losing connection and getting kicked to main menu

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 04:51 PM PST

    I'm playing on Xbox One. This happens constantly whenever I play. Restarted the game, the Xbox, my router, everything. No matter what this happens several times when I sit to play. I know I can play offline to avoid this but I'm trying to help people co-op bosses.

    Is this a common issue for anyone else?

    submitted by /u/BrucePilaf
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment