• Breaking News

    Monday, January 6, 2020

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Modding Monday.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Modding Monday.


    /r/DarkSouls - Modding Monday.

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 10:11 PM PST

    Welcome to the weekly Dark Souls mod announcement and discussion thread!

    Beware! Use of mods whilst connected to the internet can cause you to get banned from online play!

    For more information, or to continue the discussion visit /r/ModSouls

    Using mods (PC only!) to enhance or add new content to the Souls games is great fun! It is important, however, to understand that mods are against From's EULA/ToS, so there is a great risk of being banned when using them due to From's anti-cheat--which is deployed in most versions of the Souls games.

    Versions of the games where modding is safe due to no anti-cheat:

    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

    Versions of the games where modding carries a very high risk of being banned:

    Dark Souls: Remastered

    Dark Souls II

    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

    Dark Souls III


    Our recommendations for safe modding

    *This advice is intended for first-time or relatively inexperienced modders who want to get into modding without risking a ban on their main Steam account.

    Basic Steps:

    Make a separate Steam account

    Use Steam's Family Sharing feature to provide your new account with access to your main Steam account's game library.

    Install games to be used with the new account in a separate directory.

    Once you've found your mods be sure to read (and follow) the mod author's instructions carefully prior to installation.

    Set Steam to "off line" mode.

    Install the mods and perform any necessary setup.

    Enjoy the fun and interesting experiences offered by mods!

    Be sure to remove all file components of the mod before going back online!


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The Dark Souls series inadvertently created one of the best "Hide and Seek" simulators.

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 02:50 PM PST

    Was just pleasantly sitting here thinking over my thousands of hours of playing the incredible series and thought, "You know, some of my favorite moments in the game were when I was invaded and successfully hid from an overpowered invader!"

    submitted by /u/tomjulio
    [link] [comments]

    A theory about Havel's secret room in Anor Londo

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 03:39 PM PST

    So, Havel's secret room in the Anor Londo Cathedral is hidden behind an illusory wall, right? In there, you find Havel's stuff, and an occult club inside of a mimic.

    The description on the dark ember reads: Occult weapons were used to hunt the Gods, and are effective against their followers and kin

    We know that Havel created GMB because of Seath the Scaleless, Gwyn gave Seath power, but Havel didn't trust him. GMB description is: Miracle of Bishop Havel the Rock. Cover body in powerful def. magic coating. Havel the Rock, an old battlefield compatriot of Lord Gwyn, was the sworn enemy of Seath the Scaleless. He despised magic, and made certain to devise means of counteraction.

    My theory here is that Havel planned to turn on Gwyn, and kept all of his supplies in a room hidden away from Gwyn. Even Gwyndolin didn't know about this room because as you break the illusionary wall to go down there, everything is dark, just like Anor Londo after you break the illusion set by Gwyndolyn.

    I wasn't able to find this theory from anywhere else, so I'm not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Senor_Andy_Panda
    [link] [comments]

    Charcoal drawing I did of Knight Artorias

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 08:31 PM PST

    Imgur Link

    This was a piece that was done for my friend MattTheRatt on Twitch. It was done using various pieces of charcoal, chalk, some Academia paper, and my fingers!

    submitted by /u/TrophyKingArt
    [link] [comments]

    Dexterity Weapons!!

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 02:34 AM PST

    Aside from the Balder Knight Side Sword and the Uchikatana, what is another cool dexterity weapon I can use?

    submitted by /u/DADDY-POLNAREFF
    [link] [comments]

    Going to start DS; Remastered today. Do I need a build?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 02:29 AM PST

    Got Dark Souls Remastered from my girlfriend for christmas this year and going to make a start on my full Soulsborne playthrough today.

    Now my question: Do I need to have a build ready before I start playing? Or should I worry about that later/ end-game only? Out of experience from other games (like Elder Scrolls Online for example) choosing the wrong skills/ attributes could mess up your entire build.

    Thnx in advance! I'm excited to start my journey in the Soulsborne games :)

    submitted by /u/XxLockdownZxX
    [link] [comments]

    I don't know how many people know this, but at least in original Dark Souls ladders are over powered.

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 01:52 PM PST

    I quite recently discovered that especially in tomb of the Giants and Blighttown when I aggro some enemies I don't feel like dealing with I take the closest ladder and completely break their pathfinding.

    I mean, I aggro the big ogres in Blighttown's tunnel from the Valley and just run to the ladder and watch them fall off. Same goes within the well shaft in Blighttown.

    Thank you ladders.

    submitted by /u/random_stair
    [link] [comments]

    Help at artorias

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 04:00 AM PST

    Having a hard time beating him can anyone lend me a summon on switch im sl60 out front the fog gate

    submitted by /u/FewReplacement6
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Dark Souls world literally layered?

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 05:19 AM PST

    Okay, so I just want to start by saying that, even as far as shower thoughts go, this one is a bit loony. This is going to be a whole lot easier to grasp if you've seen "Nausicaa of the valley of the wind", if you haven't, well, I'll try to explain the scene I'm talking about:

    In the movie, Nausicaa falls through the seemingly solid ground to a place buried by the ash and sands of time and war. This hidden world looks very much like Ash Lake in that there are countless great trees sprouting into the fog/soil above. Simply put, it's the world before the current world.

    Now that that's out of the way, here we go...

    At the start of DS1 we see that the world is a dark & desolate place, with great archtrees piercing through the cracked and dried-up soil. However, I believe that an 'Ash Lake-esque' place existed even back during the events of the dragon war, namely as the lost world that came before, and here's why; The first flame wasn't actually the first flame at all, and the world of dragons and darkness we see in the beginning is simply the dregs of a world corrupted by the continual rekindling of the earlier "first" flame, much like how in DS3, The Ringed City is almost completely covered in ash after Filianore's illusion vanishes, creating the seedbed for a new-new-new(ad infinitum)world all over again, because as we all know, ash is a great fertilizer.

    I believe that the Ash Lake in the current DS1 timeline (we'll get to convoluted time soon enough) is the world in which the dragon war was fought, and that the world above, Lordran, is the flourishing world that the gods created upon the seedbed that said war wrought.

    But wait, there's more...

    Where do dragons and archtrees come from?

    It's my theory that the dragons in our timeline are the abominable pinnacle of the previous world's humanity's crossbreeding/magical metamorphosis(helluva mouthful, I know), and that that is an integral part in the perpetuation of the corrupted cycle; humanity's light & dark soul and their insatiable want for prolonged life and power... Humans and gods might not be so different after all.

    And now we come to the hollow humanoid beings who chance upon the new 'first' flame... I think they are simply the part of humanity that didn't achieve dragonification and were left to wander a desolate world as husks of their former selves. The great irony in this is that, the ones who achieved dragonification, immortality and 'everlasting' rule, are the ones to always be cast down first by the people they left to die, whose empty husks are able to accept the lord souls found in the flames and gain enough power to enact their revenge... Which of course leads to the new rulers going mad with power themselves, but hey, perpetuated cycle, right?

    Now to the archtrees... Okay, so, bear with me here;

    The archtrees are born out of the corpses of dragons, AKA former humans, fulfilling their part in the corrupted(?) cycle.

    We get a taste of this in DS2 where we bear witness to the corpses of giants being turned into trees. In pretty much every mythology of our world, giants and trolls are magical beings with a close relationship to the earth, and dragons, magical beings with unstable (everlasting my ass) physiologies (often depicted as shapeshifters) have their cells revert back to the most natural state upon their deaths; becoming one with the world, AKA plantlife AKA trees.

    Some great examples of this are;

    Fafnir, a greedy dwarf who transformed into a dragon in order to guard his treasure, who also spewed poison upon the lands to keep anyone from approaching his lair. Sound familiar? Greedy humans/humanoids who transform into dragons and spew poison upon the lands?

    Ymir, a primordial giant whose various body parts and innards led to the creation of the soil, trees, sky and oceans? Hmmmmm? Ring a bell, anyone?

    Now comes the final piece; convoluted time, also the one I'm most skeptical about.

    As the world shrinks, ruins upon ruins from many different eras pile up high like great landfills of history, filling the voids and canyons of the world, creating a smooth foundation for the ashes of the next cycle to settle and thrive.

    And that's all from me, folks! I hope you've enjoyed my first post and try not to poke too many holes in it, it is Dark Souls after all, the game where there're a lot more theories than factual lore.

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/MinisculeD
    [link] [comments]

    I beat Dark Souls for the first time!

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 02:20 PM PST

    My first ever game in the Souls series and I just finished it today, beat Manus and Gwyn. I'm very happy, the game was a magical experience, and I feel this feeling of accomplishment. Anyhow, I love this game, and I can't wait to start my ng+ play through, I'm also waiting for my ps4 controller to come so I can start the other games in the series, since I have ds1 on switch :p

    submitted by /u/DoughChild921
    [link] [comments]

    I finally defeated Quelaag after 14 tries!

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 09:50 PM PST

    These attempts consisted of me running back and forth from undead burg to farm souls from the drake bridge and then buying magic sword and shield and then using about 10 humanities, one after each death after trying to defeat Quelaag solo until I gave up and summoned naked sack lady and even then she did nothing, but after rolling and hitting her and running away, I finally killed her!

    submitted by /u/dompizzachecker
    [link] [comments]

    Black Knight Greatsword Viable for entire game?

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 12:31 PM PST

    So I got a black knight greatsword drop from the one in undead burg. I got 18 dex and just enough str to 2 hand. I upgraded it to +2, is it usable for the entire game? I'm at sens fortress right now.

    submitted by /u/lpt5703
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you frequently end your builds or runs?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 12:12 AM PST

    I have a bunch of characters that I start, progress through part of the game and then leave them.

    For me its SL 20~40 and Anor Londo.

    Once I can warp my focus is on the online aspect and PvE is usually over unless I need a specific item.

    Do you do that as well or do you beat Gwyn with every character?

    submitted by /u/gorchitza
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls was a game I feared, now I finally beat it.

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 05:31 PM PST

    First time playing Dark Souls. I took a long break from gaming and this is the only game that kept my interest all the way through. Beat Gwyn first try. That felt absolutely amazing. Now it put me back in the cell and I'm starting over.

    Should I move on to Dark Souls 2 and 3 before starting over in Dark Souls?

    It was a great ride. Cheers, everyone.

    submitted by /u/RedditSanity
    [link] [comments]

    Why am I am doing laughable damage

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 01:40 AM PST

    I just beat Quelaag by doing just about 30 dmg per hit and am now in sens fortress where it is almost completely impossible to beat those snake things without backstabbing. (I have not played another souls game before but I have beaten the shit out of bloodborne and I would describe my dmg output like playing with a completely unapgraded weapon in that game) I have a +5 longsword and 26 strength and 15 dex. Am I missing something or doing completely wrong?

    submitted by /u/JustLetThisWork
    [link] [comments]

    Noob question about the LI shortcut

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 01:16 AM PST

    I defeated Quelaag, rang the second bell, found her sister, and fed her 30 humanity one at a time. My question is, How do I get to where the secret door is if the elevator does not function? I do not mind doing a suicide run, as I have not consumed any of my hard humanities other then to get the required 30 to feed her and achieve rank 2 in the covenant. I really want to save my Sunbro, but not sure if there is another requirement to unlock the elevator.

    submitted by /u/Aliendre
    [link] [comments]

    Summoning my friend in dark souls

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 01:02 AM PST

    Is there a proven method that will let me summon my friend? We are playing on the ps4. We have a password, we have both NAT-type 2, the host is human, the boss of the area is alive. We are also both the same lvl. We are in the area after the taurus demon. We tryed and waited alot but we cant see our summon signs. Thank you in advance for the answers <3

    submitted by /u/SahraLost
    [link] [comments]

    Why is accessing the DLC completely devoid of logic?

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 06:54 PM PST

    How is anyone suposed to know how to access the DLC without looking it up?It makes 0 sense.First you have to kill the hydra and if you dont reload the game and go back there you wont see nothing,you have to restart to see it.Nobody is gonna find that by themselves.Also why do you have to get the pendant from a random ass golem is the dukes archives? And then you have to fucking get back to the waterfall?What?How is anyone suposed to figure that out?Am I missing something or is this just terrible game design? At least they could have made it that the golem spawned right after the hydra was killed and the portal opened next to the blue golem but even soo it makes no sense ¯_(ツ)_/¯

    submitted by /u/Zfirote
    [link] [comments]

    Just got to the Dungeon bonfire in Oolacile. How much of the DLC is remaining?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 03:55 AM PST

    Just asking this so then I can plan out some stuff

    submitted by /u/Rabygon
    [link] [comments]

    Pinwheel OP

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 01:08 PM PST

    I actually fear pinwheel on ng+7 i feel discomfort going into the boss fight which is refreshing.

    Nvm hes dead.

    submitted by /u/MichaelScarnBrate
    [link] [comments]

    Controversial Opinions?

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 07:46 PM PST

    Mine are:

    .Bonewheel Skeletons are easy. Get a greatshield, level endurance a bit, and don't take on more than 3 at a time.

    .Sanctuary Guardian is one of the easiest late game bosses. Most of his attacks can be easily dodged with a few fast rolls, although I can see how timing them could be hard for some (never died to him, although the lesser sanctuary guardians are hard)

    .The demon ruins aren't unfinished, they're just smaller than other areas in the game, same with darkroot basin (lost izalith is still a half baked soggy cake though)

    .Centipede demon is easy. Get an ultra greatsword, hit his arm when launched at you, kill the arm, after you cut it, then quickly put on the orange charred ring. It's a beyond easy fight after that

    .Anor Londo is overrated

    .Solaire is... just kidding, I would never insult the great sun bro

    .Tomb of the giants would be one of the worst areas in the game if it had normal lighting (might not be controversial)

    Anyways, what controversial opinions do you guys have? The more controversy, the better.

    submitted by /u/lord_of_egg
    [link] [comments]

    I beat great wolf sif on my first try (first playthrough)

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 08:35 PM PST

    Well i feel like an asshole now, especially when he was limping and even fell over. But i guess i had to do it :(

    submitted by /u/JB_07
    [link] [comments]

    First-time completionist ranking all DS bosses from worst to best.

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 03:48 PM PST

    I had previously made a list ranking bosses from easiest to hardest. But now I will rank from my least favorite to my favorite. My rankings account for fairness, difficulty, entertainment, lore, and setup. I will separate my rank for Stray Demon and Demon Firesage this round.

    1. Bed of Chaos (0/100) - Fuck. This. Boss. It's an Abamosnow-looking asshole that creates pits and sweeps you into them. DS is not a platformer. I never signed up for this. Let's also not forget to mention that it is your lucky reward for successfully navigating Lost Izaleth.

    2. Capra Demon (2/100) - Having two dogs and a demon wielding dual ultra greatswords charge you immediately does not account for a fun and exciting battle. Just tedious. At least you can take the stairs and plunge it.

    3. Demon Firesage (9/100) - At least it looks kinda cool with its fire texture. But it is a reskin of a reskin, and it performs the same as the reskin. No need for this filler boss.

    4. Centipede Demon (12/100) - This battle is annoying for no good reason except FromSoft thinking it would be cool to add lava. But killing it leaves some satisfaction behind.

    5. Moonlight Butterfly (13/100) - The most boring of all of these battles with little inspiration to go with it. You either spam magic or wait for it to attack so you can roll away from its spells. At least the scenery and score is nice.

    6. Stray Demon (20/100) - I kinda like how I went into the battle saying how easy it would be. But the stray demon hits like a tank and gains an AOE attack. The subversion off expectation and placement underneath the hall where you originally fought its thicc brother saves it from falling totally flat).

    7. Dark Sun Gwyndolin (27/100) - I particularly praise this boss for its setup and lore. But that is all I can give it credit for. The battle itself fails to entertain. All you do is run forward, hide behind pillars, and attack. Not much fun.

    8. Pinwheel (33/100) - Poor Pinwheel. I don't hate this boss at all. Actually, I love Pinwheel and its story. I just hate the difficulty of this battle. It falls into the late game and it provides no challenge whatsoever. The developers even give its souls award low to disrespect it. I get entertainment from how pathetic this boss is to kill, but that is it. As much as I respect your sad story, I gotta give you a low ranking, buddy.

    9. Ceaseless Discharge (38/100) - I appreciate this boss for its story and the ambiance of the battle is cool. But unfortunately, this boss is easy to cheese. If you fight it normally, its attacks take a while to wind up. The pacing of this battle needs improvement.

    10. Crossbreed Priscilla (40/100) - It is hard not to love our half-dragon waifu. I also enjoy the concept, though it is genetic. My issue with this boss lies in its difficulty. It is too easy for its placement in the game. The battle is only mildly entertaining along with it. I want to like this boss more but I cannot.

    11. Iron Golem (45/100) - Seeing a pattern yet? Iron Golem has a difficulty problem. But hey. At least it feels rewarding after the hell of Sen's Fortress. That's what makes it rewarding unlike downing Pinwheel. And watching it stumble as you chop its ankles is fun. Having it fall off the map makes it more entertaining. But this battle is fun for the wrong reasons.

    12. Taurus Demon (58/100) - A memorable, fun battle for newbies. Taurus Demon is your real welcome to Dark Souls. Its attacks are telegraphed and easy to dodge. The health pool is kinda high considering it is the second boss in the game, but a very fair challenge that is kinda fun. Just nothing short of special.

    13. Asylum Demon (60/100) - I enjoy the fact that this boss is your test to prove your worth of traveling to Lordran. That is as far as the lore goes. Plunging this boss after running from it the first time makes me feel like a superhero. And slashing its extra thicc booty is kinda fun. I enjoy the Asylum Demon, but like other bosses beneath it, the battle is very ordinary besides the cool setup.

    14. Seath the Scaleless (63/100) - A total badass mfer. Pretty easy, but beating him down is fun as well as satisfying. What distinguishes this unbalanced boss from the rest is that the setup and feel for this battle are impeccable.

    15. Sanctuary Guardian (70/100) - I enjoy this battle. The guardian has a powerful, balanced moveset that welcomes players to AotA DLC. Total shame that its story isn't developed at all and there is no consideration given to setting this boss up. It's cool though that you can come back and fight two at once.

    16. Gaping Dragon (76/100) - Gaping Vagina sets a good pace for players in the game. It is a reasonable difficulty fight and definitely a fun one. The intro cutscene is also totally badass along with the music score. It is underdeveloped in lore though.

    17. Bell Gargoyles (80/100) - The top 10 bosses in this game are undoubtedly winners. Let's start with these gankers. Not much to say about their story except that they guard the bell of awakening. That holds them back on this list. However, this fight is easily towards the top in terms of raw entertainment. Chaotic and tough gank battle that starts new players on their way to getting good.

    18. Black Dragon Kalameet (81/100) - This is a dragon battle done well. Killing Kalameet is extremely satisfying after it ambushes you. I love its move pool and its really challenging but balanced difficulty. There isn't much story behind the boss itself, but it is somewhat crucial to the side quest storyline, kinda like how the Asylum Demon stands in the way.

    19. Gravelord Nito (82/100) - A well-developed boss with a cool design. Okay in difficulty but not laughable due to the presence of many skellies and the deadly AOE explosion. Plenty of fun.

    20. Gwyn, Lord of Cinder (83/100) - I want to rank you better. But the fact that you are parryable alone ruins EVERYTHING. Fighting Gwyn without any of that BS is a ton of fun though, and the scene is set perfectly with the arena and the beautiful yet somber music.

    21. Four Kings (86/100) - Great setting underneath New Londo Ruins and in the abyss. The pitch blackness disrupting depth perception adds to the sheer awesomeness of this battle. The concept of a DPS test to separate the strong from the weak is great. My issue with this boss is with the health. I killed three and when the fourth took too long for me to down, a fifth boss spawned. If it weren't for this, I would appreciate the battle more.

    22. Chaos Witch Quelaag (91/100) - I love my spider waifu, and I love her battle too. Challenging but doable. A lot of fun. In a great setting. Tragic story with her and the sister but with a sinister twist. And amazing chest ahead. Easily one of my favorite battles in the game and bosses overall. Well worthy of its #5 ranking.

    23. Manus, Father of the Abyss (94/100) - I hated fighting Manus a ton. He wouldn't let me cheese you with the Havel set and greatshield, reeee. But it also earns my respect. I wish though that Manus wouldn't throw its 5-hit slamming combo twice within ten seconds. It sucks enough how small of a window I get to dodge its flurry compared to Lord of Cinder.

    24. Great Grey Wolf Sif (95/100) - My favorite character in the game. The battle is equally awesome as emotional. Perfect difficulty in early midgame. The story is sad and beautiful, and you hate every slash you take at this pooch trying to save you from the same fate as his master. And the alternative cutscene is the finest showmanship of the prepare to cry edition of Dark Souls.

    25. Ornstein & Smough (97/100) - Between Artorias and the dynamic duo, I at first had trouble deciding which of the two I should rank the best in the game. But my decision felt easier when considering the pace of the battle. Running from O&S sometimes gets annoying. But everything else about this battle screams epic. The personalities given to the bosses, the lore, the score, the arena, all perfect. It also introduced the concept of phases that would later influence other series titles. A memorable gank boss that earns its fame and adoration.

    26. Knight Artorias (99/100) - An unforgettable battle that is sure to test your skill. Nobody can deny what an awesome character and warrior Artorias is. Imagine if he fought you without being crippled. Even now, Artorias fights with devastating, fast combos that are even scarier if he manages to buff. This is one of my favorite boss battles that may be the best of all of those that I have played.

    This is my list of all bosses from worst t best. Let me know your opinions and whether you agree or disagree.

    submitted by /u/Lol_u_ded
    [link] [comments]

    Bed of chaos

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 06:34 PM PST

    Is there a bonfire closer to the bed of chaos? The run to this boss is the most unpleasant and excruciating thing I've ever done in a video game, any way to make it less bad?

    submitted by /u/lonelyperson74893058
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment