• Breaking News

    Monday, December 16, 2019

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Modding Monday.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Modding Monday.


    /r/DarkSouls - Modding Monday.

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 10:10 PM PST

    Welcome to the weekly Dark Souls mod announcement and discussion thread!

    Beware! Use of mods whilst connected to the internet can cause you to get banned from online play!

    For more information, or to continue the discussion visit /r/ModSouls

    Using mods (PC only!) to enhance or add new content to the Souls games is great fun! It is important, however, to understand that mods are against From's EULA/ToS, so there is a great risk of being banned when using them due to From's anti-cheat--which is deployed in most versions of the Souls games.

    Versions of the games where modding is safe due to no anti-cheat:

    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

    Versions of the games where modding carries a very high risk of being banned:

    Dark Souls: Remastered

    Dark Souls II

    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

    Dark Souls III


    Our recommendations for safe modding

    *This advice is intended for first-time or relatively inexperienced modders who want to get into modding without risking a ban on their main Steam account.

    Basic Steps:

    Make a separate Steam account

    Use Steam's Family Sharing feature to provide your new account with access to your main Steam account's game library.

    Install games to be used with the new account in a separate directory.

    Once you've found your mods be sure to read (and follow) the mod author's instructions carefully prior to installation.

    Set Steam to "off line" mode.

    Install the mods and perform any necessary setup.

    Enjoy the fun and interesting experiences offered by mods!

    Be sure to remove all file components of the mod before going back online!


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I finally get why people say Dark Souls is the best of the trilogy

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 05:03 PM PST

    First came to the trilogy via Dark Souls 3, and I loved it. It got me hooked on everything Soulsborne. Soon after that I burned through Bloodborne and Sekiro. I bought the Remaster when it first came out, but the slower pace put me off and I never finished it. But since I've been starved of content (still no Sekiro DLC, why) I decided to suck it up and get through it.

    And now I completely understand what you all mean when you say that the interconnectivity of the areas makes the game so special. I thought DS3 was interconnected because some areas do loop back around, but in DS, it's so much more. Every time I find a new connection between areas it adds to the feeling of freedom and non-linearity. There are so many different ways to traverse the game and the potential for different paths for runs is insane.

    And then the combat. It was a struggle getting used to the pace but the rhythm and need for deliberation is still there, and in many ways the 'clunkiness' adds to the accomplishment of defeating an enemy, because you really have to think about what you're doing, instead of panic-rolling or panic-R1ing like you can get away with in the faster games.

    Then the lore! I thought it was good in DS3, but seeing where it all came from in the first place changed everything. So many NPCs have a predecessor (Griggs and Orbeck, Lautrec and Ringfinger kind of) it's very easy to see where someone might think that DS3 was a faded, lesser version, even if it's more polished. And there's so much that you can take for granted in DS3, like warping from every bonfire and only having to worry about a few upgrade materials, that you have to work for in DS. As someone who enjoys these games specifically because they don't give you anything, it gave me a whole new perspective on the things they did "give" in DS3.

    I still love a lot of things about DS3 and I'm sure I'll have more complete thoughts when I finish DS (I only have two shards for the Lordvessel) but I'm starting to understand the frustration and loss that some fans must have felt playing DS3. Thanks for reading if you did.

    submitted by /u/TaciturnKilgore
    [link] [comments]

    Just defeated Artorias for the first time, with no armor, no shield, no summons.

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 10:23 AM PST

    Before you ask, yes, I'm just here to brag. FUCK I'M HAPPY

    So I beat the original Dark Souls with no armor, after defeating O&S I knew I could do it. However, I had never played the DLCs before.

    So with the Remaster, it was the perfect chance to do it. I beat Super Ornstein (also with no armor) to get the Leo Ring and went straight to the DLC. Artorias gave me a hard time for sure, but I'm used to playing this game in this style and so I just roll dodged everything. In my honest opinion, it makes the game really fun and challenging. My setup was: Solar Crest shield, (on the back, only for the stam regen), crystal halberd +3 and Ring of Favor + Leo Ring.

    I DID try it with a normal halberd but it was taking WAY too long, and after like 7 minutes I would make a mistake and just die. Met him yesterday and just defeated him. I think it took me around 30 tries.

    I have screenshots of everything (including Super Ornstein) here https://steamcommunity.com/id/bananaslamjamma_/screenshots/?appid=570940

    In case you wanna check them out. I'm actually super glad I defeated one of the hardest bosses in the game like this.

    Now my final objective is defeating Manus in the same style!

    submitted by /u/Okabeee
    [link] [comments]

    I just got my DarkSouls tattoo today and I can't get over how perfect it came out!!!

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 12:20 AM PST

    Decided to get a Miyazaki tribute tattoo (don't worry he hasn't died yet). I'm pretty happy with the results. What do you think?

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 01:11 PM PST

    Brought the trilogy for my birthday, got to the Taurus demon

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 10:48 AM PST

    See the ladder on the tower, climb it and get plunging attack. The thing looks up, shrugs and fracking JUMPS up to me! Proceed to run around spamming square to desperately heal. I'm up to Andre's bonfire!

    submitted by /u/GZ183
    [link] [comments]

    Just killed Sif

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 03:32 AM PST

    Feels bad man..

    submitted by /u/random_stair
    [link] [comments]

    After nearly 70hours of a first a semi-blind playthrough, I can say Dark Souls 1 deserve his reputation, it's a great game ! [SPOILER]

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 03:57 AM PST

    For the context, I'm 34. An ecclectic videogamer since I'm a kid. My favourite type is RPG/ARPG/hacknSlash and Online Fps. A couple years ago, I bought DS3 and fall in love. I was a kid again, discovered abrand new classic like was Fallout 1/2, Deus ex 1. At the start it was the challenge and the art direction then the Lore. I bought artbook, get all success, watched Lore videos. It really changes what i wanted after this game. I tried DS2 but it was not the same, I didn't finish it. I finished Sekiro but didn't play it again since. A couple months ago, I bought DS1 : Remastered to finally understand where it all begins.

    It was a curisous sensation to finally meet some bosses, NPC's I've only heard or red about. Met again some enemies. It really felt like a sequel, a time travel to discover the origins.

    I created the same character of my main in DS3 (It could be the same character ? or his grand grand grand grand father ?), a Cleric from Carim who turned into a Paladin, Warrior of Sunlight, did a "nice guy" run, faith, fast roll, no help summonings (npc(even Sif) or players). I ended up SL 85 and link the Flame. I mostly played Undead, I died a lot and when I was human I get invaded really quick and died most of the time. From time to time, I helped people with Bosses.

    In order of progression : Northern Undead Asylum / Undead Burg - Parish / Depths / Blightown / Quelaag's domain / Darkroot basin - Garden / Sen's Fortress / Anor Londo / Painted World / Demon Ruins / Lost Izalith / The Great Hollow / Ash Lake / The Valley of Drakes / The Catacombs / Tomb of Giants / New Londo Ruins / The Duke's Archives / Crystal Caves / Artorias DLC / Sif / The Abyss / Kiln of the First Flame.

    First of all, the Level Design. Connections, diversity, atmosphere, architecture. It was a pleasure to discover areas by areas the locations, huge monuments, landscapes. The art direction is still impressive. The Great Hollow, Ash Lake and Kiln of the First Flame was my favourite. A lots af loots are hidden, It really force you to be curious.

    The Kiln feel very outside of the world with the stairs, It feels like Gael's arena. I always think that our journey in DS3 is just a massive illusion fueled by the Fire, a non-sense to perpetuate an Age already gone. An old massive tradition's lie to serve the Gods. It's why we can invade or get invaded, heard the Bells, every world's illusions have some connexions spots and the Plyer can create one. My personnal theorie. :)

    The game was less harder than I expected. I get used to Souls gameplay, that helped. I died a lot but I wasn't block during a long time, except for Ornstein and Smough, hardest Boss in my playthrough. The gameplay is more tactical, less based on reflexes. The hardest things is the four direction roll when you lock an enemy and when you run you jump, not roll just after. I begun with a blessed Bastard sword and get lucky when I looted the Black knight Greatsword in Undead Parish, I used it in the middle of my playthrough until the end with a Black knight Shield loot in the Tomb of Giants. Everything was easier with that Greatsword. Manus and Artorias was honorable opponent, Gwyn and Sif's fight finished with sadness, I couldn't save Solaire and I killed Patches because I said to him I was a Cleric ... I didn't killed Priscilla. Kalameet was Midir, Artorias was Gael. Special mention to Titanite demon, Giant cat and Fang boar !
    Parry feel easier in DS1 than DS3, I'm not sure if it's true ot just an impression.

    At the end, my impressions on DS3 has changed. DS1 and DS3 are on the same level of quality but for different aspects. I now can feel why people said DS3 is more linear or a lot of stuff came directly from DS1. It's true. I wish FROM Software will mix level design from the first, graphism and gameplay improvments from DS3, even Sekiro, to create a masterpice. Someone say Elden Ring ? :) We will see.

    I'll go Hollow a little bit, to process and digest the game, then ... I don"t know, DS1 NG+ ? DS2 maybe ? DS3 again to finally understands all the references ? Subnautica ? Hmm Hmmm Hmm...

    Thanks if your reed all of this, english is not my native language so please excuse the faults.

    Yes indeed, remember to always Praise The Sun !

    Hodvy

    submitted by /u/Hodvy
    [link] [comments]

    Today marks the 25th anniversary of From Software's very first video game, King's Field. (December 16th, 1994)

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 12:22 AM PST

    From Software's first video game and one of the earliest 3D PlayStation titles, King's Field's aesthetics, atmosphere, and gameplay mechanics would later inspire the team to create a spiritual successor in the form of Demon's Souls.

    https://imgur.com/YI0hUiv

    submitted by /u/solitary_snake
    [link] [comments]

    Tomb of the Giants (PSA)

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 05:16 PM PST

    This place is obviously complained about by the community all the time, but any time I read posts about it I see the same advice: bring a light source. While it's true that you really shouldn't try to advance through this area without a skull lantern or a sunlight maggot or the cast light spell, I haven't seen anyone else point out that the ring of fog makes TotG SIGNIFICANTLY easier. The aggro range on the skeletons are INCREDIBLY short while wearing the RoF, and there are a handful of skeletons/skeleton dogs that can outright be ignored this way. It's so good that you can fight each of the skeletons in the room with the large divine ember one by one with RoF on (if you hug the wall at the beginning and don't overextend). I actually think this might be an intended way of approaching TotG because snuggly the crow will trade you a ring of fog in exchange for a skull lantern, which you are guaranteed to find in the TotG. Maybe there are people out there reading this who are already aware of RoF's power in this area, but I basically only hear of people struggling with this area. Hope this helps!

    submitted by /u/flouride-frog
    [link] [comments]

    Sens Fortress - A Masterpiece

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 01:13 AM PST

    Every time it gets me. I love to hate this area in Dark Souls and it's definitely one of my favourite parts of the game.

    Definitely a very deliberately designed trap funhouse where each death is a learning opportunity.

    I have lost countless souls as I die and then try to rush back to where my bloodstain fell, forgetting that this is designed to punish carelessness.

    But now, now I sit above Andre - taking a break at the bonfire - for I can not take the punishment for my failures any longer.

    submitted by /u/Wacelon
    [link] [comments]

    Intimidated to say the least

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 08:24 PM PST

    Admittedly, I have only been playing video games for a year. Never had a console as a wee one nor when I was in college. I was as green as they come.
    I moved to Japan a while ago, got interested in the video games that were created by Japanese Game Designers specifically and haven't really looked back. Needless to say Dark Souls perked my interest upon discovering it in the shops here. The whole look and lore and glorious gloom of the game made me want to play it right away. However many a friend cautioned me that I was way too new to playing games in general, I would only be frustrated, and should try some less challenging platformers to test my resolve. With what some might consider difficult games (or at least I did) like Hollow Knight and Blasphemous under my belt, I have ordered Dark Souls and it is in transit to my home here in Japan. In no way shape or form do I feel prepared to take on the challenge that Dark Souls lays out but head first into the frigid rapids I will go.

    You have all been in my metaphorical shoes at some point in video gaming...yes?

    I am curious what advice or short words of wisdom you might someone like myself going into Dark Souls fairly blind.
    Please and thank you.

    submitted by /u/deadflagspace
    [link] [comments]

    (Spoilers for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order) Recommended miracles and/or pyromancies for Darth Vader build?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 03:53 AM PST

    With Fallen Order's ending, I'm inspired to make a build based on Darth Vader that will aim to inspire as much dread as the real thing. I'm focusing mostly on magic, but fashion, weapons and stat advice is welcome too.

    submitted by /u/ChickenLord105
    [link] [comments]

    367 hours later i got platinum

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 03:47 AM PST

    Kinda sad that I dont struggle with the game any more, doesnt matter the build doesnt matter the weapon, everything feels natural and easy(except kalameet, I really need that 20 estus against him)

    submitted by /u/Lugodi
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls remastered

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 11:12 PM PST

    Never played the first one started on 3. Is dark Souls remastered worth the $10

    submitted by /u/VIadTheImpaler56
    [link] [comments]

    What next?

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 07:09 PM PST

    I just beat O&S for the first time (finally!), and I'm not sure which lord soul to go after first. It should be noted that I want to save Solaire, but I don't nearly have enough humanity.

    submitted by /u/Chromboed
    [link] [comments]

    A thank you to whoever saved my hollow ass

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 04:26 AM PST

    I rarely do online due to cruddy Canadian wifi, but after hearing the horror stories of Ornstein and Smough I decided to examine the summon sign in front of me. I believe your name was just sa, but you were clearly on a completely different skill level than my noob ass. You even helped me survive a human invasion for my first time with Sunbro Solaire. Thank you for the first good human interaction, Skelly

    submitted by /u/KoltieBear
    [link] [comments]

    Dark soul 1

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 03:15 AM PST

    Welp this is my second character since the first one I mess it up can't even beat gargoyles alone with the first character. So far it's beautiful and the music in firelink shrine is just that.(PS thought new londo ruins is the lower bell so loses some human in my soul).

    submitted by /u/Dark_Dan123
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve decided to get DS1, which version should I get?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 01:11 AM PST

    A lore heavy game with an emphasis on difficulty/combat is definitely something I need. So should I get the remastered version or the old one for the PS3? I know lots of old games have bad framerates on PS3, but the games for it are dirt cheap. Is the remastered version worth it? Will I at least be getting 60fps for the price?

    submitted by /u/RedditProfileNames
    [link] [comments]

    Why is duke archives so hard?!?!

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 09:18 PM PST

    I have rage quit so hard. I cheesed the boars no problem, but going up the elevator for some reason i am having such a hard time killing those crystal skeletons. Literally can't even make it past the first room and i t won't let me summon my friend in

    submitted by /u/eddy_brooks
    [link] [comments]

    Question about the crimson dude in New Londo Ruins

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 12:57 AM PST

    So he told me to find artorias because it would make the abyss easier. This is my first play through so I'm assuming going further into New Londo takes me to the abyss to kill the four kings because that's what crimson man said. I'm confused because when i looked up how to get to artorias it said he is in the dlc area which is very hard and most recommend doing it right before you face Gwyn. Just confused on what the crimson dude meant and if i really should go find artorias first.

    I left new Londo after opening the flood gate and am working my way through dukes archives now, and I've gotten the rusty iron ring from the asylum, don't know if that helps with the abyss?

    submitted by /u/eddy_brooks
    [link] [comments]

    Underrated Weapon

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 06:38 AM PST

    About 3 days ago I wanted to play Dark Souls without an OP weapon or a really weak weapon, I went with the Broad Sword, nothing too crazy and not the best scaling but holy shit was it amazing to play the whole game with that weapon, it has good damage and fast attack animation as well as multiple attack animations, not like heavy weapons who only have smashy smash ground hitting attacks. I highly recommend giving the Broad Sword a try if you didn't!

    submitted by /u/Venom2211
    [link] [comments]

    I think I know my answer, but wanted to chat about play order.

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 08:29 PM PST

    Hi. I love the Soulsborne games, for obvious reasons. I have played them a little out of order, and am looking for advice on how to finish playing all of them.

    I played Bloodborne first, after totally not getting Dark Souls (I got it in a bundle on Steam, and never played more than 5 minutes of it. It really didn't make sense.) I have played through maybe half of that game, but want to return to it and finish it up.

    I then bought each Dark Souls game on PS4 backwards, as I caught them on sale. DS3 complete first, DS2 next, then finally a month or two ago, DS1. I didn't play any of them until I got 1, and that's what I've been playing through lately.

    Here's the question: I REALLY want to play 3 and bb now, but I feel like if I get used to that fast combat, it will be hard to go back and play 1. I hear they are different. I have spoiled almost all of 1 through youtube videos, and I really enjoyed what I've played so far. Should I just go and play the ones I'm excited for, or trudge through and finish them in order? Does it matter? I don't think I will have a problem with play style out of order, and I can't decipher lore without reading or youtube, so I'm not concerned about story order.

    Any advice? Probably doesn't matter in the end. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/suaav
    [link] [comments]

    New to dark souls and need a tip

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 05:38 PM PST

    Should i Level up my character or upgrade my weapon ?

    submitted by /u/Skarpo3
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment