• Breaking News

    Monday, December 9, 2019

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Modding Monday.

    Dark Souls 2 /r/DarkSouls2 - Modding Monday.


    /r/DarkSouls2 - Modding Monday.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 10:13 PM PST

    Welcome to the weekly Dark Souls mod announcement and discussion thread!

    Beware! Use of mods whilst connected to the internet can cause you to get banned from online play!

    For more information, or to continue the discussion visit /r/ModSouls

    Using mods (PC only!) to enhance or add new content to the Souls games is great fun! It is important, however, to understand that mods are against From's EULA/ToS, so there is a great risk of being banned when using them due to From's anti-cheat--which is deployed in most versions of the Souls games.

    Versions of the games where modding is safe due to no anti-cheat:

    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

    Versions of the games where modding carries a very high risk of being banned:

    Dark Souls: Remastered

    Dark Souls II

    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

    Dark Souls III


    Our recommendations for safe modding

    *This advice is intended for first-time or relatively inexperienced modders who want to get into modding without risking a ban on their main Steam account.

    Basic Steps:

    Make a separate Steam account

    Use Steam's Family Sharing feature to provide your new account with access to your main Steam account's game library.

    Install games to be used with the new account in a separate directory.

    Once you've found your mods be sure to read (and follow) the mod author's instructions carefully prior to installation.

    Set Steam to "off line" mode.

    Install the mods and perform any necessary setup.

    Enjoy the fun and interesting experiences offered by mods!

    Be sure to remove all file components of the mod before going back online!

    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls2/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else feel like Dark Souls 2 had the most interesting lore and feeling in the series?

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 08:27 AM PST

    Particularly the SotFS addition. I like all Dark Souls lore, but it often feels like simply a well painted fantasy story with these larger-than-life mythical characters performing world-changing acts and we simply exist in their wake. The world feels solid, and these characters are an indelible part of the history of the world. But DS2 feels like a dream, where bits of history are half-remembered, and the world itself feels like it is breaking down (staring out into the sea past Heide's Tower of Flame anyone?)

    But Dark Souls 2 didn't just have a story like the other two games (the war with Giants, Vendrick and Nashandra fill this role), it also had a philosophical twist that really made me think. The first game simply presents you with the fact that Gwyn linked the fire, but Dark Souls 2 really explores the implications of this act. It looks from the perspective of men, set to inherit the world and ascend into the Age of Dark, whom are powerless in the face of a literal god who links their souls to the fire, preventing them from inheriting the world and causing them to be stuck in a neverending cycle of being drawn to the flame and re-lighting it even though they should want to let it die.

    Or characters like Aldia, who struggled his whole life to find a way to stop the cycle of undeath, only to have a cruel joke of fate played on him: he could stop the cycle, but only for himself. He could remove himself from the cycle of undeath, but he is forced to watch his native kingdom crumble, his brother go hollow, the land be swallowed by darkness. He is angry at the DS1 characters for ever forcing this reality onto the humans.

    I liked the story continuity between DS1 and DS3, but often it feels like a big story where gods dominate the stage and make choices which aren't fully explored. Y'know, Aldrich consumes gods. But what does this mean for us and the world of Dark Souls?

    But DS2 had these frail characters who were so achingly aware of their own humanity - take Lucatiel for example. Each progressive interaction reminds you that you as a human and countless others before you have been completely fucked over by these powerful godlike characters.

    There is no grand conclusion where a meaningful choice is made.

    Instead you either re-light the fire, fully aware that it will die out again.

    You let the fire die, fully aware that some other lost undead will eventually become more powerful than you and unseat you, lighting the fire for themselves.

    Or you collect all of the crowns and become like Aldia: you leave the cycle of undeath behind and wash your hands of the whole ordeal. But will you ever return from the dreamlike land of Drangleic to your family? Probably not, you're part of Drangleic now.

    submitted by /u/MercianSupremacy
    [link] [comments]

    It's hammer time!!

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 05:22 AM PST

    Except for the multiplayer, what things do you think DS2 does better than DS1 or DS3

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 05:02 AM PST

    Personally I would say that it has some of the most varied and really beautiful areas in all of souls' games. I think this has to do with the fact that the Devs weren't too big on connectivity so they could make each area more unique.

    submitted by /u/choosen-undead
    [link] [comments]

    Just booted up SOTFS after taking a few years off. What a breath of fresh air.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 07:14 PM PST

    After playing DS1 and 3 so much, I'd forgotten how at home Drangleic feels. First thing I noticed is how fast my character is, which is weird because a big complaint was that things were sluggish. Definitely don't see where that came from. Second thing is that there's way more color in everything, which makes it much easier to enjoying the world around us. Another thing to be praised is the sheer openness and variety presented to you in the first hour of playing. One thing that kept me away was how daunting it would to choose what to do during my next run. You know, remembering item placements and things like that.

    Although, I am pretty salty about how good the enemy AI in this game is. Pure hollows are probably the most dangerous thing in the world (Talk about lore/gameplay integration), and oh God Heide Knights are worse than Blacks.

    So yeah, this thread is just me gushing. I really do adore this game, and I'm happy to be back.

    submitted by /u/Mzuark
    [link] [comments]

    I love Masterless glencour!!!

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 02:29 AM PST

    So i was struggling very badly against old dragonslayer and my Boy went ham on that old Boy,I casted spells on the outside like Gandalf,in summary i have a deep connection with Masterless.

    submitted by /u/Dezzle6
    [link] [comments]

    Theres a way to see ur own deaths

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 12:20 PM PST

    Idk how popular this method is but if you start dark souls 2 offline and go read the tablet where it says worldwide deaths, that stone tablet next to way of blue covenant

    After every boss in the game including dlc I am at 1426 deaths

    submitted by /u/Headbone11
    [link] [comments]

    Protip I learned (maybe too late), might help you!

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 12:43 AM PST

    Hello everyone,

    I have cleared another DLC, crown of the ivory king.. and during that, I have started using one trick that helped me out a lot! I have used this only on Salamanders before and I found it makes my gameplay SO MUCH easier!

    POSION.. specifically.. Poison arrows! They are insane!

    After you get to doors of phaross (having met Gavlan on all the places before), Gavlan will be able to sell you poison arrows, 60 souls per one (infinite amout).

    Now.. they are no joke! Your bow will not deal much damage, but the posion.. jesus.
    While aiming in DS is clunky, if you aren't aware, just 2 hand your bow and you can aim directly on distant targets without locking.
    Targets like humanoids (even the ones you would not expect to be poisonable) need just 3 (max 4) arrows to hit them (in short time intervals) and they will suffer slowly around 1k dmg.

    It feels incredibly broken, great to deal with distant packs, ranged bois ect.

    I have learned about this very late in the game, by the end of Ivory king, but I still used it a lot.. got Iron crown in front of me and then the rest of the basic game to finish. Maybe it is more suited for endgame, because you are able to accumulate much more souls, to get more arrows to make them frequently usable.

    Either way, I hope it helps, this will help you easily destroy these salamanders in forest of fallen giants, and pesky mob packs all around the world.

    submitted by /u/Xenesis1
    [link] [comments]

    So....

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 11:54 AM PST

    I just beat the full game and all dlcs and everything optional. First of all that was FUCKING AWESOME!

    But.. Now what?

    submitted by /u/Noobie_xD
    [link] [comments]

    My AMAZING first fight against Nashandra (complaints)

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 08:39 AM PST

    TL:DR—good game, lots of little mistakes and inconsistent design-goals. Leave your thoughts/experiences below

    The setting: this is my first play through, blind. SL 180 dex melee build. Beat all the DLC, killed good old Alonne, grinded out the Ivory King armor, got dragon head and torso stones for fun, flipped the bird to the Darkdiver—feeling pretty ready to wrap up the NG cycle.

    I summon a Sunbro, bring up my old friends Vengarl and Banjo or whatever the hell his name is, do my trident dance, enter the mist. "Now fully join the dark". Cool, Nashandra sounds like a man.

    I get cursed and the first scythe hit leaves me with 1/10th my health. I'm excited! This'll be interesting!

    I back up a bit, and I plummet into an endless pit RIP forever in pieces.

    Okay. WHY is there an endless pit in the final boss room?

    Like, I'm all prepped and pumped up, ready for catharsis, and my cool dude with a million weapons and badass armor is facing off against this skull demon queen, and then he just backs off a cliff.

    I've really enjoyed this game, the pacing of the fights is fun for me, and I love the variety of weapons and armor they've given me. The NPCs are adorable and my favorites so far in the series (haven't played DS3 or BB). I've learned a lot about losing and why to play, and DS1 didn't push me far enough for those lessons. I've even loved how many bosses there are. Some have been crap (RR Vanguard), but on the whole, there's a lot of good content and it outweighs the bad

    But this game has so many little pitfalls, metaphorically speaking (and also literally)

    Why give me the opportunity of a blueballs death like that against the final boss? Why did I have to grind 50 loyce souls to get the cool armor? Why did they hide the BoB rank tiers behind 100-500 consecutive wins?

    Just... literally, why? When the devs put that there, what was the goal? I really like this game but I think all these little oversights are what give it a bad reputation among fans of the series. And maybe that's what they're missing for not having Miyazaki on this one, a certain level of polish

    Anyway! I know I'm going to look back at this game happily, but I needed to vent. Please share your thoughts and experiences with DS2 cathartic blueballs, possible player-experience goals, and content below.

    In the meantime, I'm going to kill Nashandra.

    submitted by /u/Bossa9
    [link] [comments]

    First post here. Question for the community:

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 01:03 PM PST

    Why are so many hosts so scared? Just today out of about 80 times i invaded, 30+ of the hosts DCed at some point. Most of the time they were standing right next to the bonfire so its not like they'd lose any progress either way.

    submitted by /u/Colonel_dinggus
    [link] [comments]

    What happens when I use a bonfire ascetic in Straid's cell bonfire?

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 10:14 AM PST

    I don't have many ascetics and I want some petrified dragon bone ASAP, but I'm in doubt if using it at this bonfire respawns the petrified dragon bone on the cell next to the bonfire. Does anyone knows if it respawns?

    submitted by /u/infinity_master99
    [link] [comments]

    Cracked red eye orbs

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 09:59 AM PST

    I'm sure this is been asked before. What's the quickest and easiest way to get cracked red eye orbs?

    submitted by /u/captainjack72
    [link] [comments]

    TIL that the weaponless hollows at the start of the Forest of the Fallen Giants have a rare grab attack

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 10:59 PM PST

    Just got hit by one, he starts eating your face. I also saw the Lion knights in the Shaded Ruins have a rare kick attack way earlier.

    What are other rare attacks that you guys have seen in the game?

    submitted by /u/Yaarielle
    [link] [comments]

    Coop assistance. PS4

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 01:28 PM PST

    I'm having a spot of trouble with the chariot boss. I think it's the endless mobs that are keeping me from success. Is anyone able to help out at the moment?

    submitted by /u/Beepboopbop91
    [link] [comments]

    Aldia is a problem

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 12:03 PM PST

    Someone help me lol. I'm stuck on aldia. ive never had to fight him and ive beaten the game 2 times lol my psn is leeamarastar5. im playing on ps3 comment if your down

    submitted by /u/Redrell
    [link] [comments]

    Sunbro for hire

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 11:10 AM PST

    I have beaten every boss in the base game and dlcs. The only thing I need are sunlight medals, so I want to be a "hired gun" for each and every boss you might need help with. I have 25 million soul memory, I play on PC, steam id: https://steamcommunity.com/id/H_A_L_O_G_E_N/ . Just add me and tell me when you need help with any boss.

    Edit: I know I can farm banediggers and falconers, but I am sick of playing alone

    submitted by /u/JohnDrl15
    [link] [comments]

    A quick question

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 10:41 AM PST

    I know that a bonfire asthetic resets an area. My question is, does it make the enemies stronger?

    submitted by /u/Noobie_xD
    [link] [comments]

    The iron keep is just another terrible area.

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 02:39 AM PST

    • the constant annoying barrage of alonne knights that won't leave you alone, doing instant slashes at you as you try to get by on you 80th attempt to even get to the damn boss door
    • thin walkways full of enemies that knock you off and archers spraying you from every direction that you can't deal with unless your build has ranged options
    submitted by /u/Hamyman
    [link] [comments]

    Way to keep SM for co-op. Will this ban me?

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 02:14 AM PST

    Story behind. My friend plans to start a fresh gameplay of DS2. With how co-op works in this game, I need to keep my map progress to be summoned, but have to keep track of my Soul Memory (thank From for removing this in DS3)

    Question. If I do a gameplay, and backup my save folder on needed SM tier (like Backup 1 - SM 1k), then another backup, and like that. And load them as my friend progresses. Is that bannable?

    I am totally okay if this is not an option. I will just be seeing him suffer alone. Just curious.

    submitted by /u/oopswrong
    [link] [comments]

    End game & NG+ clarification (SOTFS)

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 06:56 AM PST

    Can you guys please confirm how end-game and NG+ work? I don't care about spoilers.

    Right now I'm at end game of NG- I just got all the Giant Souls and killed Vendrick and did the optional side areas like Darklurker and Belfry etc.

    I have not started the DLC yet.

    This is SOTFS on PS4.

    Previous From games I played are Bloodborne and DS1 remastered and in those as soon as you beat the last boss you get thrown into NG+. I understand that doesn't happen in DS2 and that you have to use the Majula bonfire to go to NG+. What I want extra confirmation on is that you can still use Majula bonfire to warp to other places like normal, and that I'll be able to go do all the other stuff I want.

    Like I want to finish the map guy's side-quest and I think I have to beat the last main game boss for that. Then I want to go fetch as many spells as I can so that I'll be close to getting those trophies before NG+. And of course the DLC's, which I understand are harder so I'd like to get the end game bosses done first if I can.

    I also read that there are like multiple boss fights in a row? Yipes.

    submitted by /u/take5b
    [link] [comments]

    Doing a no bonfire run adds so much to the game.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 06:21 PM PST

    I'm currently on my 3rd no bonfire run, the first two were on Vanilla DS2 and this current one is on Sotfs.

    The world feels bigger and feels way more connected verses just warping everywhere.

    The first time I did it, I stayed up all night blowing through the game and skipped the credits, because who wants to watch the credits? That's when I looked it up and saw that skipping the credits doesn't give you the ring, I was so annoyed haha

    Anyways just wanted to bring it up for discussion and to let others know about the not skipping the credits part.

    Here's a tip also for anyone who wants to try it.

    I recommend doing it on NG+ so you already have your build figured out and access to gear.

    You can't change spells the entire play through so make sure you get them figured out before.

    If you're going for melee, I recommend getting at least one attunement slot and then getting the repair spell. You can use the incense to lower the requirement, this with the iron king crown will give you unlimited repair casts (with 2 minute countdown)

    Other than that, I think it's pretty straight forward. You can light bonfires for checkpoints but you want to light the least amount as possible because you'll be returning to areas and you want to keep those checkpoints for later. A big one for this is the forest area, and the castle, I only light the throne room bonfire when I'm about to fight Nashandra.

    submitted by /u/Andrewrost
    [link] [comments]

    What is going on in Pharros’ Doors?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 03:27 PM PST

    I'm just walking around minding my business and I keep getting summoned as a gray spirit. When I arrive all the enemies attack me along with the host. Idk what causes this as I'm on my first play through. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

    submitted by /u/Youre-fuckin-special
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment