• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 27, 2019

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Salty Sunday.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Salty Sunday.


    /r/DarkSouls - Salty Sunday.

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 11:09 PM PDT

    Today's Salty Sunday is brought to you by the Bed of Chaos

    Being Gravelorded in Anor Londo? Died to Bed Of Chaos for the 100th time? Checked your phone for a second, only to run off a cliff and lose your bloodstain?

    Grab a spoon and watch your blood pressure soar! All complaints are welcome here. Just keep things civil and follow the Posting Guidelines in the sidebar.


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Lautrec will pay...

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 01:02 PM PDT

    So I just rung the second bell, and was looking forward to returned to the Firelink Shrine. The Firelink Shrine was my favorite bonfire area, because it had the only bonfire where I felt truly safe. It was like a little home for my chosen undead. Lautrec took that all away. People have told me, that when I find Lautrec in Firelink, I should kill him, but when I asked, I wasn't told what happened because spoilers. I thought, it wouldn't hurt to leave him alone. I was wrong. I was devastated when I found out I couldn't sit at the bonfire because of Firekeeper Anastacia's death. Now from Anastacia's corpse I hold the Black Eye Orb. I will make myself stronger, and prepare, for the moment when I invade Lautrec, and get revenge for him destroying my home.

    submitted by /u/Cat-of-Spades
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls got me a job!

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 06:38 PM PDT

    So Dark Souls kinda got me a job, kinda.

    I'd been playing my brothers copy of Dark Souls remastered and after I finished it I wanted my own copy to play it again. So I put one down on afterpay and went down to my local game store to pick it up, at the back counter it had a job position wanted sign. Well of course I applied, at the interview the manager and I actually spoke about Dark Souls and other fromsoftware games...and a couple days later I was informed that I got the job.

    The whole thing came about all because I wanted my own copy of Dark Souls

    submitted by /u/TheOneTrueBishop
    [link] [comments]

    I found Dark Souls Prepare to die edition for the ps3 for 10$ at an old gaming store.

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 08:27 AM PDT

    I absolutely love the imagery the bonfire brings to the game

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 10:57 PM PDT

    Trying to finish for the first time and I just have to pause to give appreciation to the bonfire.

    One thing I love the most after finishing a section (or reaching the beginning of a section) of any game is pausing the game to eat or talk with my SO.

    But the best thing about DS is I don't have to pause the game or the console--I just stay at the bonfire. It's a very calming experience whenever I'm before a bonfire. Every now and the Visage of other player rests at the bonfire and it just sets the mood.

    Deciding to dive into the series is one of the best decisions in my gaming life (especially since I'm nearing the end--starting a family and all).

    submitted by /u/noobakosowhat
    [link] [comments]

    Story

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 11:55 PM PDT

    I just got out of the undead asylum and before I keep going I want to understand the story, why am I doing what I'm doing, am I chosen one or something and if so chosen for what?

    submitted by /u/JC2K99
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished dark souls for the first time

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 05:47 AM PDT

    Simply amazing, the level design, the bosses simply amazing I'm kinda preferring this game instead of the third because of the lore and the environment...now I only need to raize manus and the fucker of kalameet. My only regret is that I missed the chance to cut seath tail

    submitted by /u/enricob15
    [link] [comments]

    Rest before Continuing on

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 11:56 AM PDT

    I kept forgetting to post this, but I recently got a new tattoo that I wanted to show you guys. A different take on the bonfire with Artorias's hilt.

    submitted by /u/watchman1513
    [link] [comments]

    Darker side of Dark Souls 1: Existentialism

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 08:11 PM PDT

    An in-depth analysis of the darker side of the dark souls lore including some notes about 3

    Lautrec, obsessed with Fina, a Goddess. He kills a helpless women locked inside of cell. You find him in a cell, and why does a parish have a prison cell? The story gets darker. The parish itself is corrupt institution and in the classical sense, reflecting on Christianity and Catholicism from its original teachings and how it can be perverted. There are some good people within the church. Those like Anastacia of Astora, Irina and Eygon of carim but in this case, some that are more cynical and know the potential evils of humanity pretend to play along, or even worse join the church for their own nefarious reasons. Oswald of Carim knows that Petrus and his cleric knights (vince and nico) claim to do go good but at the end, they are consumed with evil/darkness, as they are "drenched in sin".

    God's miracles are meant to heal and guide people, but it's the corruption that leads other to use God 's miracles for violent purposes. Even Rhea becomes more aggressive after she discovers the "Wrath of Gods", the truth about the church, humanity (Patches) has tricked her, but fails to be understand that Petrus in her own church betrayed her, and more intelligent organizations (Duke's archives) kidnap her until she goes completely hollow. But did Patches really do anything bad? He lured the church knights into the bottom pit cause he hates clerics and knows that they're easily tempted by greed, in this case, he told them there's treasure. Even today, can we asking if pastor or those up above are not motivated by the same purposes?

    Lloyd's talisman is an item is used so other's don't heal and it's hidden along with a morning star that is use to torture enemies with bleed. These items are relics from the past and the history of the church.

    As the item description states, "barbaric cleric weapon", the wording together noting that this was from the past time a primitive and uncivilized time of the church that has surfaced as only can discover it for yourself since it's hidden away.

    When we talk with Marvelous Chester, he claims Oolacile has brought the Abyss upon herself. It becomes more existential as he says, "they upturned the grave of primeval man". Even today with all the evolution and education, we're still inherently capable of falling back into a primitive and animalistic behavior and mindset.

    Taurus Demon is the first boss you encounter after you leave the asylum. A Taurus is an earth sign and is Latin for Bull. Why does that matter, from a religious perspective, he also has horns that resemble the devil. Even Capra demon, an optional boss below him, has horns and "capra" is type of wild goats but the body is shaped as a human. Historical drawings of Satan are often associated with these kinds of imagery. Why did Miyazaki put these bosses are your first experience?

    The purpose of Solaire comes in to the story. He doesn't appear until after you defeat the Taurus demon, He's the classic knight that fights for a good cause, but also represents goodness in the world, natural goodness like the sun and a open sky. Even though there's a lot of darkness and evil in the game, your role to be a healer can be useful in these situations and follows closer to the teachings of the church.

    Redemption is another element in the game that shows that you have to ask yourself, is it wise to unlock people from jail? For the purpose of the game, it makes sense to be "the hero", but note that Miyazaki wrote an important quote from Bloodborne: "Acts of goodness are not always wise, and acts of evil are not always foolish, but regardless, we shall always strive to be good." Whenever you see free souls or a treasure chest in an area, it's Miyazaki's signature to put some traps nearby, is that an act of evil? Freeing everyone from jail, even if they might be a bad person? In the case of Lautrec, it doesn't matter cause he finds a way out but letting Rhea out, or killing someone now before they turn hollow and evil later. As the Petrus said, the effectiveness of miracles are "determined by your efforts, and your faith".

    This gets in to a darker question? Petrus has the title of a cleric but he's not. He's buying that title. He even offers you copper coins as an exchange for forgiveness. It costs souls to get information about a mission. Even today, how is it possible for a church to stay alive without money? Everything about Petrus represents Allfather Lloyd and the dark side of the church. As you read the Gold coin item description, it's made from Allfather Lloyd. In a sense, the establishment is centered around title, money, and expansion. It resembles more of a real estate opportunity and entitlement business.

    Thorolund's talisman is drenched in blood and requires less faith. What does that mean? It can apply to anyone that says, they are part of a church or cleric, Their title really means nothing in an existential sense, but the actions of people playing multiple roles. A cleric or knight or cleric knight that starts off good can be easily duped with gold and treasures to become the most evil person in the game. Or you can start off as a thief like Patches but end up as a merchant. It's more about the process and existence, not the title or appearance.

    On the bright side, Oswald can absolve your sins and help you indict those that commit crimes, he's the enlightened one in the game and knows the history of the church, along with Patches. This is where lore comes into place, it's not the teachings of the church but the experience of people re-telling the stories of people and their motivation to do good or bad in the world. They see the hypocrisy, chaos, murders, and secrets. Well that it's it for now.

    My next insight will discuss Archdeacon McDonnell, child abuse in the Catholic church, and the PTSD of Horace in relation to war and soldiers that don't recover, but will got to the DS3 subreddit.

    submitted by /u/LoveThieves
    [link] [comments]

    Just killed somebody and I don't know if he was important

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 08:56 PM PDT

    I finally managed to kill quaalog (spider woman) and after there was this man with those eggs all over him, so I killed him and he actually speaks, is he an important character, am I fucked over, what does he do?

    submitted by /u/YuriemDoki
    [link] [comments]

    The origins of the name artorius is really Interesting

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 12:17 PM PDT

    I decided to look it up as it sounded unique and Latin sounding, it didn't disappoint.

    From the wiki page:

    Essentially it's a bastardization of the name Arthur. As in king Arthur. The origins of the name arthur is debated a lot, but the most accepted etymology is derived from the Roman nomen gentile (second name/family name) artorius.

    Artorius is even more obscure, but possible that it has a Celtic origin, being a latinization of the hypothetical name Artorījos, derived from the patronym Arto-rīg-ios, meaning "Son of the Bear/Warrior-King". Arto-rīg-ios is unattested, but the root, arto-rīg, "bear/warrior-king", is the source of the Old Irish personal name Artrí, while the similar *Arto-maglos, "bear-prince", produced names in several Brittonic languages. According to Zimmer's etymology, the Celtic short compositional vowel -o- was lengthened and the long -ī- in the second element of the compound -rījos was shortened by Latin speakers, under the influence of Latin agent nouns ending in -tõr (and their derivatives in -tõrius). Some scholars have noted that the legendary king Arthurs name only appears as Arthur, Arthurus, or Arturus in early Latin Arthurian texts, never as Artōrius (although the Classical Latin Artōrius became Arturius in some Vulgar Latin dialects). However, this may not say anything about the origin of the name Arthur, as Artōrius would regularly become Art(h)ur when borrowed into Welsh.

    An alternative theory, which has only gained limited acceptance among scholars, derives the name Arthur from the Latin Arcturus (the brightest star in the constellation bootes, near ursa major or the Great Bear), which is the latinisation of the Greek Αθανάσιος (Athanasios) and means "Immortal". Another form, Arcturus would also have become Art(h)ur when borrowed into Welsh, and its brightness and position in the sky led people to regard it as the "guardian of the bear" and the "leader" of the other stars in Boötes.

    Finally the meaning of the name artorius from the Roman origin is: honorable respectful.

    Hope everyone finds this as interesting as I did! Please share your knowledge on other dark souks names!

    submitted by /u/Stubbornskelly
    [link] [comments]

    Looking back at my old Dark souls contest edit

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 03:31 AM PDT

    I obviously did it wrong when there was that whole ds3 story contest. But I will say it's a great hype video, the main flaw is the length of the video.

    https://youtu.be/MwS_2KhfrUI

    submitted by /u/FrozenGenesis
    [link] [comments]

    Must another NPC die at because of my actions?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 07:07 PM PDT

    I have already lost Firekeeper Anastacia for being to kind, but now, Laurentius? I just wanted him to have a nice pyromancy spell, but now I found out I sent him to his death. I came back to Blighttown to offer humanity to the Fair Lady, but I found to my surprise, that Laurentius was there! I was happy to see him! Finally! Another sane person in this dreadful swamp! But sadly, Laurentius was the opposite of sane. It had seemed that he had gone hollow. I tried reason, but I could only solve the conflict by killing him. I will never forget Laurentius, who was one of the few NPCs that seemed like they cared about me. May you rest in piece, Laurentius...

    Edit: Woops. Looks like I was too sad to realize my mistake with the title.

    submitted by /u/Cat-of-Spades
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished painting Artorias miniature

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 06:34 PM PDT

    http://imgur.com/gallery/IKcgd2w

    I'm not an artist, but I'm pretty proud of how this turned out.

    Side note, how do you post pics directly to Reddit?

    submitted by /u/mojie55
    [link] [comments]

    Any recommendations for grinding?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 12:15 AM PDT

    So I got stuck on Anor Londo with the Lautrec fight and decided that I would start traveling through Lordran finishing stuff I didn't do (I.E. getting items and other stuff) and on the way get lots of souls to level up to at least SL 62 (I am currently 53 so that will be a long one).

    So, any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/CaptainBird797
    [link] [comments]

    I tried the Enemy and Item randomizer mods, and Blightown is just insane

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 03:56 PM PDT

    My first time trying these mods, and I chose the Master key as starting gift since I like going in Blightown through the backdoor. Everything before this area was going well, there were some hard and some hilarious moments with weird enemy placements, but Blightown is just insane.

    So I enter Blightown, and going through ladders, and I spot giant Ornstein on one of the rafters, no biggie, I snipe him with a few spells I'd picked up from some distance, and I finally get to the bottom, and I see giant Smough charging at me through some distance but he's stuck behind a root or something. But then normal Ornstein comes flying out of nowhere, I dodge the fuck out to the bonfire room, and a silver knight spots me and follows me along with Ornstein, I retreat to the backroom behind and snipe both of them with arrows and spells, and finally breathe a sigh of relief. Maybe this won't be as hard. I go out and another silver knight immediately charges, so retreat back to the room and deal with him again. Go back out again, and start to loot the randomized items and suddenly fucking Artorias fucking shoves his sword up my ass. I try to run back but two eagle enemies from the painting also spot me and combine with Artorias to bring my noob ass down.

    Holy shit is this randomized Blightown hard.

    Edit: I FUCKING LOVE THIS MOD. So this time around I get to the bottom and go the other way toward the boss room, blocking the entry are smaller Smough, two giant cats, a butcher and a giant cat inside. I barely dodged everything to get inside the boss room, and waiting inside was a fucking skeleton instead of Quelaag. This mod has made the game so so fun.

    submitted by /u/ChoochiPastol
    [link] [comments]

    Lore wise, does anyone know the connection between Darkroot and Oolacile?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 05:10 PM PDT

    Both wooded areas, both connected to Dusk, the farmers and the plants are similar, guardian armor is similar to the stone armor you get in Darkroot, not to mention the walking versions, Artorias is buried in Darkroot, both have living mushrooms etc. They don't seem like the same area at different times, but there has to be some connection between them.

    submitted by /u/ryumaruborike
    [link] [comments]

    Help with mechanics

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 04:23 PM PDT

    First run there but I'm struggling on understanding something:

    I'm not understanding the"fast roll" thing.

    And,what change between a single and a double hand holding. I know With a double handing it deal more damage but what other change? (like on the levelling up, I've heard it matter but I don't know how)

    Since now I'm running around with my +9 Great Club and dark iron gear by only caring about not to reach the maximum weight I can carry;but by seeing some pvp game on YouTube I've started to think"well maybe that's not the right way to go "

    submitted by /u/_ddross_
    [link] [comments]

    Just Wanted To Say Thanks

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 02:16 PM PDT

    thanks to the 2 people that helped me with ng+ o&s! i realy appreciate the help, and this community is by far the best community put of any game. ever

    submitted by /u/bobtennncharlie
    [link] [comments]

    DS on sale for $20 on XBone, worth it?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 08:44 AM PDT

    Why did they cut Artorias's Dialogue?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 03:38 PM PDT

    It would have made the fight more depressing, way better. They practically wasted a voice actor, for no real good reason.

    submitted by /u/starigma_ultimate
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment