• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 3, 2019

    Dark Souls Lads, I’ve fucked up.

    Dark Souls Lads, I’ve fucked up.


    Lads, I’ve fucked up.

    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 09:32 PM PDT

    I just purchased DS1, and in an attempt to "git gud" I decided to try my inaugural playthrough without using Wiki or walkthroughs, and without the Master Key, which I've heard makes things a bit easier.

    I made it to Blighttown with relative ease, but here's where things went all pear-shaped:

    I came in via Valley of the Drakes. I had achieved a Blighttown key after defeating Vagina Dragon, but couldn't for the life of me find out where in the fuck the door from Depths was. So anyways, I made my way all the way down from Blighttown entrance into the shitswamp below. I was delighted to find a bonfire at the bottom..it wasn't easy to get there and the walk back to B-Town was a royal penis.

    I wasnt sure where to go from here...to the right looked like more shitswamp, and I was running low on purple moss. So I ventured out from the bonfire and hugged the wall to the left, which was dry ground. Disoriented by the sheer vertigo of this place, I decided, LIKE A FUCKING IDIOT, to slog my way back UPWARDS. The answer to this place surely couldn't be down in shitswamp, I thought to myself. Well, after another hour or so of dying from toxic blowdarts, poison buildup, fucking spider...things? Some parasite attached to a fucking WALL?! I made it to the top. It was a fucking disaster.

    I was exasperated and did a nervous toot of happiness when a found the bonfire. I must be close to the boss, my shriveled and asinine mind thought. "Just keep going up". Well, I kept fucking going alright, only to run into a goddamn door that could only be opened from the other side. I knew I had massively goofed then, as I had already beaten that goddamn vagina dragon and had the bloody key for that door, it was unmistakably The Depths on the other side.

    Disgruntled and disheartened, I then went ALL THE WAY BACK DOWN to shitswamp bonfire and then, like a STUPID ASS, I decided to continue to venture left and found myself inside a massive fucking tree. The Deku Tree's aborted offspring. After grinding my way down an orgasm of branches I was birthed out, screaming and red faced like a newborn baby, into a new area...soft arias were falling from the sky...light twinkled down gently upon me. Could this be...heaven? No dear reader, I assure you, it was hell. I had now found myself in Ash Lake.

    I looked out over the horizon and saw, of course, some fucking snake Medusa. So I did what any sane man would do. I stripped off all my clothes and ran. I ran like a little bitch boy, as fast as I could, across narrow, sand-covered isles. Much to my chagrin the fucking snake LAUNCHED ITSELF INTO THE AIR, and gave chase to my miserable ass, hurling water jets at me as I ran. I had no idea where I was going, but there was only one path ahead. I rounded the corner and GLORY BE, TO THE FATHER, AND TO THE SON, AND TO THE HOLY SPIRIT, there was a bonfire ahead.

    I was so relieved. I thought all my misadventures had eventually led me to the right place, and I was ready to just get on with the story. I approached the bonfire and JESUS almost shit my pants again when a dragon undressed himself before me. I stood still, looking up at him...fulling willing, and secretly desiring that he would just crush me into fucking dust at this point so I could just call it a night. But he didn't crush me into dust..he stood there, and i prayed to him and joined his covenant instead.

    So I write to you from here, dear reader. My spirit is broken. I slithered down the bowels of the Deku Tree and was shit out here into this dragon's living room. I have a bonfire, but apparently there is no fast travel in this game? I'm at a loss. Any help is appreciated.

    TL;DR - I thought I'd be cool by doing first playthrough without strategy guide. Bee-bopped my way to Blighttown where I inadvertently did an entire fucking circle around the whole place, and then had to work my way back down, only to take a wrong turn down a massive tree and got shit out into a dragon's den. He's cool and I'm in his dragons-only club now, but I'm fucking exasperated and not even sure if it's possible to walk back up this tree. Please halp.

    submitted by /u/Kdo9000
    [link] [comments]

    If only I could be so grossly incandescent...

    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 10:19 AM PDT

    Dark Souls is a hard game (along with other souls games)

    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    It seems popular here to pretend these games are secretly easy, and that the general gaming community is just bad, impatient, or gave up without trying. The fact is, this game is a very hard game compared to other popular modern games, which isn't a bad thing.

    Here are the common arguments people make when they say these games are not hard:

    Anyone can beat it if they stick with it

    This is true for just about all games, with the exception of games or difficulty modes specifically made to exhaustively challenge the top 1% of fans. Beating a platforming level after 10 hours of practice doesn't mean the level isn't hard.

    Dark Souls isn't hard, just unforgiving

    The punishing nature of the game forces players to have a higher mastery to succeed. Limiting the number of mistakes a player can make makes the game harder.

    "X" is easy once you know what to expect

    Most games don't expect you to memorize enemy layouts or attack patterns to proceed. Instead, most challenges are designed to be beaten on the first try. Expecting a player to fail a few times before figuring out how to succeed is what makes a game hard.

    It's easier than game X

    X is probably a hard game too, or you're just too experienced with Dark Souls to accurately compare it with other games.

    Build X or over-leveling makes it easy

    There is some merit to this, as with the right setup you can spam attack through most bosses and the game becomes considerably less punishing. Getting to this point, however, requires excellent game knowledge or significant grinding. It is far more likely that a player without outside help falls into traps in their build than it is that they stumble into something overly powerful.

    You can beat it naked deathless at SL1 in 2 hours

    People beat other games blindfolded but that doesn't really say anything about the difficulty to an average player. If anything, the extreme disparity between the performance of an expert and a beginner says a lot about how much time the player spends purely on improving on a first play-through.

    I'm an average player and I beat X on my first try

    Beating things on the first or second try is the standard for modern games. Unless the majority of the game was like this, then most of the game is hard.

    Which leads me to my last point, that many people ignore:

    This game is dense

    There are many mechanics that players can miss, and missing any one of which makes the game considerably harder. Being stuck cursed without seeing the purging stone, not upgrading estus / weapons, or not realizing that rolling grants immunity frames. I suspect a significant number of players miss at least one major mechanic on a first play-through without help, and have to trudge through something similar to what others do as their challenge run (assuming they don't just give up).

    Ultimately, try to remember how much you failed on your first play-through, and then compare that to how much you failed in Breath of the Wild or Skyrim. If you're anything like me, the comparison isn't even close. We love the game because it's fair, you don't have to be an expert gamer to beat or enjoy Dark Souls, and experienced players make it look like a complete joke, but it is still a hard game.

    Edit:

    Looking at the responses, it seems most of you agree that Dark Souls is hard relative to modern games.

    Some people claim that Dark Souls is still not hard because modern games are just easy. I see this as a valid claim so long as you're clear what frame of reference you're talking from.

    Some people claim that Dark Souls is hard, but not as insanely hard as they imagined. I think I underestimated the perceived difficulty of the series, so this was interesting to hear!

    Finally, some people insist that Dark Souls is simply not hard by their definition of difficulty. The reasons for this vary, and could be something as simple as maybe Dark Souls just really clicked for this particular individual.

    In any case some very interesting discussion!

    submitted by /u/Macetodaface
    [link] [comments]

    Oh-hoh! Forgive me. I was absorbed in thought ...

    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 11:13 AM PDT

    Started off inktober strong... Don't know what to do for "mindless" any suggestions?

    http://imgur.com/gallery/RyrsXAZ

    submitted by /u/vlkrie
    [link] [comments]

    Just beat my first souls game.

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 02:38 AM PDT

    So I made a post about a week ago, saying how I never gave a souls game a proper chance before I was scared of the difficulty even though I'm a veteran gamer.

    Today I just finished Dark souls remastered beating all bosses and it was a journey. Part-way through the game I received the black knight halberd and after two bosses with it, it seemed too powerful. After a search I discovered that it was considered "Easy mode" so I dropped it and used Man-Serpent greatsword since I was all STR for the halberd. That definitely amped the fun up and helped me git gud.

    Manus was probably the hardest boss for me taking about 2 hours to learn his patterns. The most frustaring was probably a tie between Nito and Demon Firesage. Nito because I didn't have a divine weapon for his skeletons and firesage because I kept getting stuck on the branches.

    That Sif cutscene after you do the DLC made a tear up. I also killed Priscilla and Gwyndolin for all the bosses but it made be feel like an asshole

    Also I fought Gwyn without parrying and that was such a fun fight, it kept my heart racing. He is so fast insanely fast, but I eventually beat him on my 6th or 7th try.

    In short, Dark souls has quickly become one of my favorite games of all-time. What Fromsoft game should I tackle next? I own all except bloodborne (no ps4). I was thinking demon souls next?

    submitted by /u/LetsKeepItVirtual
    [link] [comments]

    Did a dark souls related artwork for todays Inktober promp "bait"

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 03:37 AM PDT

    You can find it here

    submitted by /u/toxoplasma0gondii
    [link] [comments]

    I finally beat the Asylum Demon with my bare fists with NO HITS!

    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 05:55 PM PDT

    Took me all day but I finally did it! I have a clip of it here (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/489460882), you can't hear me because I'm an idiot that's new to streaming and I messed up my mic settings but the fight's there.

    This experience really taught me about patience and keeping my composure. Often I'd be tempted to get that extra hit in, only to get immediately punished. After failing multiple times I tried slowing it down, being more methodical in my attacks and trying to recognize a pattern.

    Basically, I tried staying behind the Asylum Demon as much as possible, and I used its ass-crack as a boundary line (no, really!). Whenever it would swing its club to the left, I would hug the right ass-cheek, and vice versa. The boundary effectively outlines the safe-zone where you can't possibly get hit by a right/left swing as long as you are on the opposite ass-cheek. I often found it easier to move around the Demon when I toggled off the target lock, hence why its off for the majority of the fight. Aside from that, the best time to attack was after its forward smash, you can often get a good 4-5 hits in

    This fight is like a microcosm of the learning process of Dark Souls when you encounter a new enemy. The way you learn all of their quirks, their attack patterns, how many hits to commit to after they attack, etc. Felt so good seeing that piece of shit die and that Demon's Great Hammer pop up on my screen!

    submitted by /u/Detrimentation
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sadness

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 12:54 AM PDT

    Just beat Dark Souls 1 again, and even now that title card with the beginning of Nameless song brings tears to my eyes.

    submitted by /u/mrmann2000
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get Dark Souls remastered?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 04:37 AM PDT

    I absolutely loved Dark Souls 3 and its one of my favorite games but many of my friends said they didnt like the first one and that I shouldn't buy it. Is it that different from Dark Souls 3? I never played Dark Souls1 btw

    submitted by /u/Nambay
    [link] [comments]

    I am the lowest scum on the earth

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 01:00 AM PDT

    Today I was holding my Nintendo switch and I have hit Solaire by accident. (I was in anor Londo bonfire) I hit him and didn't kill him for ages but I had to choice. I parried Solaire and killed him. I have never felt so bad in my life. This has effected my conscience forever. I fear I may never be able to look Solaire in the eye again. Even in further playthroughs.

    submitted by /u/6birdd9
    [link] [comments]

    DSR - Loreplay Multiplayer Playthrough?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 01:45 AM PDT

    "Cross the gaps between the worlds, and engage in jolly co-operation!"

    Hello, chosen undead! I've been playing Dark Souls since 2014, and have been on hiatus from the series since August 2018.

    I've recently had a strong desire to get back into DSR, and create a lore-rich character.

    It'd be awesome if I could share this return playthrough with others, so I'd like to engage with others in jolly cooperation in a Multiplayer Playthrough!

    Starting later this month, I will begin a new lore-rooted character on DSR, and progress through each level aiding others and progressing through each level with aid in return.

    If you are interested, please comment below and list what character you'll be coming along as!

    E. G.

    Name: PALADIN TOM

    Covenant: Warrior of Sunlight

    Build: FTH/DEX

    Lore: Paladin of the Way of White, sent to Lordran to follow in Paladin Leeroy's footsteps.

    submitted by /u/ADarkLord
    [link] [comments]

    Yet another dark souls tattoo post

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 05:50 AM PDT

    So yeah, I've got plenty of tattoos but I had no gaming ones, so yesterday I started on my leg (my arms are covered already) and who better to get than artorias!

    https://imgur.com/a/KVBFZvu

    Tattoo by my friend Adam (@deadflesh.tattoos on instagram) done at Addinktion Belfast

    submitted by /u/AdamQ_Design
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls 1 after Bloodborne: Things to know? (Stats, builds, etc)

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 04:44 AM PDT

    So, my first game of the Soulsborne series is Bloodborne. I just finished it (and the DLC) and I spent like 90 hours playing it. At first it was very hard but then it clicked and everything went smoother. I also farmed a lot (because I love doing so) so I could level up and face new challenges comfortably.
    I really really loved that game and I went into it without any expectations. So immersive and addictive. I understood and mastered stats, builds, blood gems, etc. I went with the Hunter's Axe and Ludwig Holy Blade with a build like this:
    50 Vit
    30 End
    50 Str
    50 Skill
    10 Bloodtinge
    25 Arc
    I left bloodtinge and arcane almost untouched since I prefer the melee combat and weapons which have good range (the latter is very important to me).

    I now want to try Dark Souls Remastered on my PS4 for the first time and I wanted to ask you which are the things that I need to know before going into it. Do you consider it harder? Or, at least, unfairer? (I don't think BB is unfair at all, nor cheap in terms of difficulty).
    I know that DS is slower and that there is no rally. I also know that your Estus Flasks replenish after each fight and when locked on into one enemy you can only roll on 4 directions, etc.
    I am more curious about stats and builds, weapons, etc, equivalences with my Bloodborne build. It seems to me that there are way more stats and weapons so one can get lost pretty easily.
    I also wanted to know if there are people who played Bloodborne first and then Dark Souls, how was your experience like? Anything worth knowing?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

    submitted by /u/ElioLanz
    [link] [comments]

    Obligatory O&S Post

    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 08:34 PM PDT

    I loved Anor Londo. And these golden boys were the cherries on top of the cake. First I went in with Quelaag's Furysword. Was having a hell of a time until Ornstein stunlocked me long enough for Smough to pancake me. Damn my own lack of poise. I threw myself at them so many times, with Solaire when I could manage it. But I was out of humanity. On a limb I switched to my other main weapon, my Divine Great Scythe. Something clicked with the slower weapon. Only took me two tries after that. A resounding "I did it!" echoed throughout my house. Victory is mine.

    submitted by /u/Saffeus
    [link] [comments]

    Most beautiful Dark Souls pictures?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 03:57 AM PDT

    I would love to put Dark Souls series pictures to my wall, because I love the Dark Souls. I dont know how the copyrights works on this. I am only putting them to my own walls and not sharing with anyone or such. Displate is the place I most likely make them and there is some pictures, but not enough for me. Anyone willing to share his favourites and maybe explain the copyrights with Displate?

    submitted by /u/LFA93
    [link] [comments]

    I’m finally invading and winning sometimes

    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 09:24 PM PDT

    DSr on switch, my first souls game. On my 7th build and I'm Darkwraithing at SL45. I've finally won a few fair duels and I'm hooked. I've also gotten absolutely crushed a few dozen times. 😂 I think I get the appeal now.

    submitted by /u/PuffPuffFayeFaye
    [link] [comments]

    Should i buy Ds2?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 03:06 AM PDT

    I played ds1 remastered. Really enjoyed it but i had to watch lots of walkthroughs to know where i had to go so should i buy Ds2?

    submitted by /u/HarmW
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Souls Inktober Begins

    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 05:42 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/JNsNNS7

    Started Inktober drawings for dark souls. I intend to post updates for the rest of the month, I hope that posting the links won't be treated as spam. Also, how do we feel about art pieces that draw from the rest of the games in the series?

    submitted by /u/ninjakitty7
    [link] [comments]

    Are there hackers on PS3 now?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 08:14 PM PDT

    I was invaded by someone that dropped a pair of leggings named "?ProtectorName?". The leggings had crazy high stats across the board, so I didn't bother equipping them and dropped them immediately.

    Invader dude didn't really attack at all, just danced around a lot and baited. Felt like a troll all around.

    I've heard about this on PC, but I thought console was safe from this. Anyone else run into anything like this?

    submitted by /u/just_soda_please
    [link] [comments]

    Inventory Build.

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 01:59 AM PDT

    List what you consider or is considered the best Dark Souls inventory setup depending in whatever build you like.

    Weapons/Shield Slots Right Hand: Left Hand

    Rings Slots Ring 1: Ring 2:

    Armour Slots Helm/Head: Body: Hands/Arms: Legs:

    Quickbar Item Slots Slot 1: Slot 2: Slot 3: Slot 4: Slot 5:

    submitted by /u/Tepsss
    [link] [comments]

    Pretty excited about my little collection

    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 04:05 PM PDT

    I beat DS: R for the first time!

    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 07:30 AM PDT

    It was a Str/Dex character, using primarily a Claymore +15. I linked the fire at the end. I don't know what to say. Do you recommend DS 2 or 3, or should I stay with DS for awhile?

    submitted by /u/TijmoanTheRedditor
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get the short bow

    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 07:06 PM PDT

    So I accidentally killed the merchant that sells it, and I wonder if anyone knows where to get it.

    submitted by /u/some-random-dude84
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment