• Breaking News

    Monday, September 30, 2019

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Modding Monday.

    Dark Souls /r/DarkSouls - Modding Monday.


    /r/DarkSouls - Modding Monday.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 11:10 PM PDT

    Welcome to the weekly Dark Souls mod announcement and discussion thread!

    Beware! Use of mods whilst connected to the internet can cause you to get banned from online play!

    For more information, or to continue the discussion visit /r/ModSouls

    Using mods (PC only!) to enhance or add new content to the Souls games is great fun! It is important, however, to understand that mods are against From's EULA/ToS, so there is a great risk of being banned when using them due to From's anti-cheat--which is deployed in most versions of the Souls games.

    Versions of the games where modding is safe due to no anti-cheat:

    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

    Versions of the games where modding carries a very high risk of being banned:

    Dark Souls: Remastered

    Dark Souls II

    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

    Dark Souls III


    Our recommendations for safe modding

    *This advice is intended for first-time or relatively inexperienced modders who want to get into modding without risking a ban on their main Steam account.

    Basic Steps:

    Make a separate Steam account

    Use Steam's Family Sharing feature to provide your new account with access to your main Steam account's game library.

    Install games to be used with the new account in a separate directory.

    Once you've found your mods be sure to read (and follow) the mod author's instructions carefully prior to installation.

    Set Steam to "off line" mode.

    Install the mods and perform any necessary setup.

    Enjoy the fun and interesting experiences offered by mods!

    Be sure to remove all file components of the mod before going back online!


    Helpful Information for New Users

    Be sure to check the /r/DarkSouls/wiki page, where you can find community-created tips and research threads.

    Please help build the wiki! You only need 10 karma within /r/DarkSouls2 to contribute.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Our Chef’s “At work” Solaire cosplay is godlike

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 04:50 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/X0FZvUX

    For details:

    Helmet: A pot, food labels, sharpie, and cupcake holders

    Wrist Bracers: Aluminum foil

    Shield: Pot lid

    Sword: Knife sharpening stick

    submitted by /u/Trihawk310
    [link] [comments]

    Seath the Scaleless (Possible spoilers)

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 07:25 AM PDT

    Is it just me or does anyone else think that Seath the Scaleless is the worst boss in dark souls 1, aside from Bed of Chaos (of course). Lore and design aside, the boss battle its self is incredibly boring and lacks any sort of tension or skill. The only neat thing about it is the whole infinite health mechanic which loses its effect on the second and third playthroughs.

    I'm just curious am I alone on this or do people actually find enjoyment in this boss?

    submitted by /u/Williamkellyofficial
    [link] [comments]

    So I got my friend (who claims to be an avid souls fan but has only played Sekiro and DS3) to play DS1.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 10:51 AM PDT

    He's complaining about how stupid Ornstein and Smough and Artorias are as bosses. And why those bosses are community favorites.

    Is there a way to go about telling him that Smough has beautiful man titties and Artorias has good lore?

    submitted by /u/KronosUber
    [link] [comments]

    Just beat my first Souls game, Dark Souls 1, for the first time

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 03:58 AM PDT

    I'm happy that I finally got around to playing this game, and I felt like talking about my experience so here I am! Shout out to NakeyJakey on YouTube for finally convincing me it was worth the undertaking. I played on my old Xbox 360 in offline mode (no help from other players!), and I thought I'd share some thoughts on the bosses and maybe some other stuff.

    I generally tried to avoid spoilers and guides but occasionally...well, y'all know how it is. The one thing I would consistently look up is bonfire locations - my one gripe with the game is the distance between bonfires and bosses, and if there's a hidden bonfire closer to a boss, as often there is, I wanna know where it is. I know some purists would say that this distance is essential because of how it builds tension for a boss fight and makes it all the more worthwhile beating the boss, but if a boss took me more than say 5 attempts to beat I would invariably end up just running past enemies to get to the white fog. This, for me, crosses the line into tedium. Which is a shame because the bosses themselves are so fun and varied and I genuinely loved the challenge of each and every one of them (except Pinwheel lol).

    Anyway, I finished the game after 60 hrs 30 min, at SL77. I chose Warrior as my starting class (seemed a good all-rounder), with Str/Dex/End as my focus but ended up gravitating to a more tankish Knight-Cleric type build, pouring a lot of points into Vitality. I liked what another user on here said, something like "You either go hollow a Warrior, or play long enough to see yourself become the Knight".

    So I was playing with a Longsword for the start of the game, which I eventually upgraded to Divine, at which point I started pouring points into Faith and learning some miracles. I also did a bit of Pyromancy but I reckon next playthrough I'll explore that side of the game a lot more. Later on I started wearing Havel's Set and his Ring and when I got to the Catacombs I picked up the Zweihander and levelled that up to Divine +10 in the end which is what I eventually ended up taking Gwyn out with. I did actually know that you can pick it up earlier, but that felt like 'cheating' so I decided not to grab it until the point in the game I would have done if I hadn't known about it.

    My final loadout was:

    • Gargoyle Helm +5
    • Silver Knight Set
    • FAP Ring & Havel's Ring
    • Divine Zweihander +10, Pyromancy Flame +9
    • Eagle Shield +9, Talisman

    My thoughts on some of the bosses...I know that everyone's experience with them is different and that's one of the things I love about the game. It all depends on your knowledge, your gear, your experience with the game and your mastery (or lack thereof) of the game's systems. For example, I found Seath The Scaleless pretty difficult at first (took me a good 15 attempts) when I'm told he's supposed to be easy. Conversely, I found the Capra Demon to be an absolute piece o' piss (3 attempts) when apparently he's supposed to be hard. Anyway, for me:

    Hardest Bosses:

    • Bell Gargoyles
    • Smough & Ornstein
    • Gwyn
    • Honourable Mention: Four Knights

    Easiest Bosses:

    • Pinwheel lmao
    • Moonlight Butterfly
    • Bed of Chaos
    • Honourable Mention: Gaping Dragon. Actually for a game as notoriously difficult as this one there are a lot of fairly easy bosses!

    Most Fun Bosses:

    • Bell Gargoyles
    • Quelaag
    • Sif
    • Honourable Mention: Gravelord Nito

    Least Fun Bosses:

    • Pinwheel
    • Smough & Ornstein. Man fuck this fight so much
    • Four Knights
    • Honourable Mention: Bed of Chaos

    Bosses I Somehow Managed To Miss Entirely (looking at the Wiki):

    • Crossbreed Priscilla
    • Stray Demon
    • Dark Sun Gwyndolin

    Areas I Somehow Managed To Miss Entirely:

    • Ash Lake
    • Valley of the Drakes
    • Painted World of Aramis
    • Undead Asylum (return to??)

    How did this happen? Haha

    The Bell Gargoyle fight was when I realised that this game was all about, and I had so much fun beating them despite how hard and frustrating that fight was for me as a first timer. When that second Gargoyle appeared on probably attempt number 10, when I had finally gotten the first one down to half health, I couldn't help but to laugh. My SO was watching me play knowing full well what was coming and didn't say a damn thing haha. I didn't know you could summon Solaire here (or even how to do that). When I finally beat this boss (after, genuinely, probably 30-40 tries) I was absolutely hooked on this game. Obviously the other main one was Smough & Ornstein (probably a good 20-25 attempts), and I had to kind of cheese it a bit to win by first summoning Solaire to deal with Ornstein and then in the second stage hiding behind a pillar to avoid Smough's 'sweeping' attack - where he slams his hammer down and then chases you with it - then popping out and doing a thrust attack when there was a window. So beating them wasn't really as satisfying for me as I expected and I've gotta say, I was enjoying the game a lot more before that fight than after. Gwyn was another boss that gave me a good fight (15 attempts maybe?). I realised from the start that I could stun lock him with my Zwei RT attack but was struggling with what to do after when I was out of stamina. Anyway after a few tries getting to know his moveset and a bit of luck when he decided to spam his grab attack mid-fight, giving me time to heal and get into position, I was able to melt him with a few of those RTs.

    Four Knights would have been a really fun and interesting fight if not for a) the lack of a bonfire in New Londo and b) the unblockable homing magic attack. I like how this fight challenges you to deal damage quickly aside from some other ones which value patience and discipline over going beserk. This one probably took me 10-12 attempts though because of the bullshit homing magic attack which, if the first King decides to open with it, ruins your timing for the rest of the fight as I couldn't take out the first King before the second one spawns in this case. Also that run from Firelink is a real piece of shit.

    The Moonlight Butterfly only took me 2 attempts - I probably could have handled it on my own just fine but I summoned Beatrice on the second attempt which made it trivial. Still, nice fight for the music and atmosphere if nothing else. Bed Of Chaos...Wtf was that about? Got it on attempt 3 but was expecting much more of a challenge. Maybe it would have been better if the nodes you have to attack didn't stay broken when you die? Gaping Dragon was an easy fight purely because of how simple it is to run away until it attacks a wall or whatever and then hack away at its arse. Probably the highest ratio of how much I was shitting myself when I saw it to how easy it turned out to be. Got it on my 3rd attempt, I think. I think the only boss I got on the first try was Pinwheel. His moveset seemed really unique and I think the fight could have been a lot more interesting if he had like 4x-5x as much health, but as it stands I just ran over to him and hacked away for ten seconds and boom, down he went. Cool lore though, from what I can tell - is the whole thing about his family and the Rite of Kindling actually canon?

    Quelaag was another interesting challenge just because of the lava spitting cutting off routes of escape and restricting your movement. Took me 10 attempts maybe. Sif was the first hyper-aggressive boss I faced, and while I found the fight pretty easy and got it in the first 4 tries or so, it was a nice fight. I felt bad having to put down the poor dog, especially given the lore of this one. I found the best strategy for me as a tank and serial Estus-chugger was to get underneath Sif and hack away and, if I needed to heal, to go towards him rather than away. You can quite happily heal when you're under him as he only has like one attack that can do damage to you from that position and if I remember correctly it would be pretty well telegraphed. Shout out to Nito for the really cool character design (especially in the opening cinematic), and although the fight wasn't too hard (3-4 attempts maybe - would maybe have been harder if he could continuously summon skellies like he does right at the start of the fight), I still enjoyed it.

    Well, that just about wraps it up. I have so much to say about this game but I feel like I've rambled enough. What do you think I should do differently next time? What did you think of the bosses? I'd love to discuss.

    Why did they make me kill Solaire? :(

    Onto Dark Souls 2!

    TLDR: fuck I love this game so much

    submitted by /u/MickMcCarthy17
    [link] [comments]

    Wow

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 12:52 AM PDT

    I have beaten dsR ds2 and recently ds3. Cool story is that when I bought my preowned copy of ds3, it came with a free code of ds1. Its preowned so I didn't expect much but surprise, it works! Now it's time for a fifth playthrough!

    submitted by /u/Frostythesnowman4747
    [link] [comments]

    DLC time?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 04:46 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I've just collected all four Lord Souls and now I don't know what to do, I figure now would be the only opportunity left to do the DLC right? I don't know if I'm ready, I heared they are crazy hard bosses even for seasoned players and this is my first playthrough. Then again, the last real challenge was O&S..

    submitted by /u/IMCPalpatine
    [link] [comments]

    Mushroom People sketches / fan art

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 03:39 PM PDT

    I started making a lot of these sketches lately, and thought you guys might appreciate this one inparticular:

    Dark Souls parent of the year, all years: https://i.imgur.com/Mj7cFmv.png

    submitted by /u/bostwiek
    [link] [comments]

    What is greatness?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    Last night I bought Code Vein. Bloodborne, demon souls, dark souls 1, 2, 3, and sekiro. Even Nioh. All of these games(besides the actual souls games of course) are considered souls-like. Hidetaka Miyazaki didn't just make a game. He made something loved so much by the community, that other developers desired strongly to follow in his footsteps. And players like me will buy games made by From Software and similar games by other developers on the premise of it being a "souls-like". I don't really know what that means to the companies, but to me, hearing the phrase "souls-like" is a phrase meaning "hey, we're proud of this."

    What is greatness? Greatness isn't just creating a few things. It's building a legacy. And Miyazaki did just that.

    submitted by /u/BottleOfSalt
    [link] [comments]

    Want to break DSR by using op weapons early on and lots of souls, can anyone spare me some items? I'd be able to pay back later in the game

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 01:43 AM PDT

    So guys, I did it, I finally beat Dark Souls

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 09:47 AM PDT

    And it... wasn't that hard? I don't know, I hit a few walls early with The Bell Gargoyles and Capra Demon and the like, but after that it was relatively smooth sailing. I beat every boss after with a minimum of 5 tries (except bed of chaos, fuck bed of chaos). With all the hype around O&S I expected it to take me more tries to beat them than it did, but I beat them in my third try.

    The parts that were actually hard were the areas themselves, but after Anor Londo I just really didn't like any of them. They all had some dumb gimmick that just ruined the entire area for me. The Crystal Caves had those invisible platforms, Lost Izalith had the lava and the rehashed bosses, Tomb of the Giants was dark and you had to use a lantern that acted like a shield to see anything, and New Londo had the ghosts and the abyss. I did really like the Kiln of the First Flame though, it was a really pretty area and just the perfect length to build hype for Gwyn. Gwyn was a letdown. I beat him on my first try by just constantly parrying his attacks.

    I didn't play the Artorias of the Abyss DLC just because I couldn't figure out how to activate it, but I did get to the Painted World of Ariamis, and that was probably my favorite area in the game. I loved the snowy area and how it contrasted with the rest of the game, being themed around fire and all. Also Priscilla was a really unique boss fight, easy but still kind of fun.

    I'm definitely going to play again sometime soon, because apparently you can get the Estus Flask to +7 and mine was only +5. Also there's another fire keeper I just never found? Not to mention the DLC I missed. And all the weapons... I just used a +5 Silver Knight Str. Sword through the rest of the game, after I found it. There's also the Dark Lord ending.

    Well, onto Dark Souls 2.

    submitted by /u/speepeal
    [link] [comments]

    Is dark souls remastered worth it if I already have the original?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 07:04 AM PDT

    I wanted to get it when it came out but I didn't have the money but I still play the original to this day pretty often since it's one of my favorite games. So when I saw how much better the graphics it looked great but heard there are some other issues with it? Can someone explain? I don't do pvp that much though it is fun btw which is why I don't really have an issue with my PS3 version aside from bugs and frame rate drop occasionally.

    submitted by /u/DankTaco707
    [link] [comments]

    Lets be real and bitch about the boss at Depths.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 12:30 AM PDT

    How many of yall screamed like a little child when you saw that damn dragon?

    Well not the dragon specifically but the teeth on the stomach dammit. Or was that the mouth or what. Jesus have mercy on the developers.

    Are they psychopaths?

    submitted by /u/sushie007
    [link] [comments]

    Did you know you can get back to Sen's Fortress from Anor Londo by talking to this creature?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 11:26 AM PDT

    Lost a dear friend

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 12:42 PM PDT

    I'm new to the dark souls series (only getting it a few months ago). I started with the first one after being told about it from my friend. I've beaten the game almost 5 times now. Only 1 Lord soul left.

    Today I went to play it and beat the game. When I booted it up it kept saying the disc was damaged. I tried everything to fix it.

    Sadly to say R.I.P. to my beloved dark souls 1

    submitted by /u/DaGamingLime
    [link] [comments]

    I didn't realize lightning weapons didn't stat scale until beating the game.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 02:32 PM PDT

    I played through basically the entire game+dlc with a plus 10 5 lightning claymore and just assumed bosses like the four Kings were supposed to be insanely hard. The worst part is that I had level 40 strength and just assumed this is where the difficulty ramped up. I replayed with a black knight greatsword and whooped the games ass without any walls.

    submitted by /u/dramateer
    [link] [comments]

    Finished my SL1 run!

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 11:55 PM PDT

    First time trying it. I used pyromancy. Overall it was really fun. Took about 6 and a half hours to complete though. Hopefully i can improve on time and complete it with the main bosses (messed around with dlc and was just seeing the damage output) Had fun 1 shotting gargoyles and Artorias!

    submitted by /u/Lil_-_Crazy13
    [link] [comments]

    Lautrec closed the gate to the undead parish on me.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 11:53 PM PDT

    So when I was going for the FAP ring Lautrec showed how much of a dick he really is and broke the game to close the gate on me [https://twitter.com/korieTheCoward/status/1178561437368758273?s=20]. Iv never seen or heard anything about him doing this and i'm wondering if its a glitch with the remaster.

    submitted by /u/ironchicken45
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with fire keeper’s souls after Estus flask is +7?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 03:27 AM PDT

    I am in New Game + and when I try to reinforce my Estsus Flask futher it just says it can't be reinforced more

    submitted by /u/memestealer2004
    [link] [comments]

    I'm making some progress in Prepare to Die Edition (story time)

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 05:01 PM PDT

    Fyi: I have about 13 hours in my current build, and have a total of about 15 hours total in the game. I'm running a large weapons build: currently running claymore and mail breaker, working on leveling STR so I can use the zweihander with one hand.

    I've learned to parry with moderate success. I started out with a Balder shield and a claymore, leveled up the clay to +5, and went to Undead Parish. The Balder knights that hang out in the chapel used to be a huge ordeal for me, but not any more. I switched to a mail breaker so I could move and roll faster.

    I was able to get past the Balder knights and all the guys on the second floor with no issue and lots of parrying. Finally got up to where the knight is imprisoned and made a huge mistake: I dropped my controller on accident and attacked him (screwup #1).

    So now I have a huge problem, right? I thought so too. I start running away, but the knight catches up to me with his stupid scythes. There's no dialogue option to apologize, and returning to the bonfire didn't calm him down (screwup #2). I have to fight this guy.

    After the knight landed a couple of embarassing backstabs on me, I was nearly dead. I waited for him to swing again, and perfectly timed a parry for a 400 dmg counter. Fast heal and then ready to roll again. He goes for another swing, and I parry and stab again. I dodged a final combo swing, circle behind him and get the loveliest two handed backstab I've made so far. He dies while cursing at me, and I'm full of regret for accidentally attacking him but also elated that I was able to parry consistently.

    Tl;dr - Golden knight in Undead Parish is dead. I think I made a mistake. sorry

    To those who are more advanced in DS1: Am I going to miss out on anything special because I killed this guy?

    submitted by /u/LordSt4rki113r
    [link] [comments]

    New player: should I be adding dex to my knight build?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 09:44 PM PDT

    I'm trying to play as blind as I can, but I'm looking for a little guidance. I just kill gargoyle and black knight, and they both dropped weapons that require dex.

    So far I've only put points into str, end, vit. Am I going to regret not putting points in dex? I'm currently using battle axe and am pretty happy with it. As I progress will I continue to find weapons that require dex?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/clobbersaurus
    [link] [comments]

    Can you summon for Manus?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 09:20 AM PDT

    I became human and went to the fog wall for Manus, but I couldn't find anyones summon sign. This boss is kicking my ass and I think i'll only be able to do it with a summon.

    submitted by /u/Jakeola1
    [link] [comments]

    I'm lookin for some PvP

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 12:40 AM PDT

    Yo guys! I'm currently SL 161 and I'm looking to do some invasions... anyone know where I can run into some people??

    submitted by /u/TheGrandSilverKnight
    [link] [comments]

    Why does Lautrec give you a Sunlight Medal?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 12:38 AM PDT

    He doesn't strike me as a Warrior of Sunlight. He's much closer to an invader than a jolly cooperator. He's basically Solaire's opposite. Perhaps that's it: the Sunlight Medal reminds the player of Solaire and brings to mind how different these two characters are. Maybe Lautrec invaded a WoS and pillaged his medals. This is my guess. Any theories?

    submitted by /u/Sleepless_sire
    [link] [comments]

    So I got to the Tomb of the Giants...

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 09:44 AM PDT

    What. The. Heck

    This is my first playthrough of DS1. Playing the remastered on PS4 and playing it blind.

    I have a +8 winged spear and a +5 dagger. Also using the Eagle shield for this area. Am level 48 atm, dex build. No upgrades on the shield or any armor. Also, I forgot to reinforce my estus so haven't done that even once.

    So, what is with this area? Lol. Can't see a thing. The terrain is narrow and those awful, awful skeleton dogs. One of them also made me accidentally hit Patches. Had to kill him too. On the bright side, I just found the second bonfire. On the not so bright side, I also just found the 3 in the same place skeleton dogs. Luckily I did find a light source from one of the necromancer enemies in the Catacombs. This is definitely the most difficult area I've encountered in the game so far.

    I'm inching through this place lol. I'm using the prism stones to mark the edges of the terrain so I don't roll off. As soon as the doggo comes bounding towards me I switch to the shield, fight in the darkness using the prism stones as guidance. Also trying to lure the doggos to the edge so they fall off. Been quite a challenge. Hopefully there are other more convenient light sources up ahead.

    submitted by /u/ChickenKarahi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment